1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just drive with the windows down.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Doesn't work in Arizona

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If it works in New Mexico it works in Arizona. The more you do it the more your body acclimates to it, I don't even use AC when it's available now after driving shitboxes with fricked ACs for ten years, my left arm is permanently tanned.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>If it works in New Mexico
          It doesn't

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>my left arm is permanently tanned.

Njoi u'are can, sir

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It doesn't

kek. i was wondering why the frick my farmer’s tan was so much more noticeable once i bought a truck without ac

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If it works in New Mexico it works in Arizona. The more you do it the more your body acclimates to it, I don't even use AC when it's available now after driving shitboxes with fricked ACs for ten years, my left arm is permanently tanned.

>Looks like pic related

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

i went to visit my friend in phoenix last year in late august. he picked us up from the airport and had his windows down, so we asked him to turn on the AC and he said it was broken. so the whole weekend we're driving around with the windows down and it wasn't really that bad but i was wondering why he didn't just fix it. anyway on the last day there he had to go to work so we took his car for the day after dropping him off and being good friends we figured we'd fix his AC for him. well we go to turn it on to see what it was doing and wouldn't you know it was ICE COLD. dude just liked the heat. anyway moral of the story is don't be a b***h. also don't lie to your friends and sweat them out or else you get a can of anchovies stuffed in your AC ducts LOL

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

People who drive with all their windows open so they don't reduce mpg slightly by using the AC are fricking dumb

• 3 weeks ago
          Chud Anon

lmfao

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You friend is a piece of shit

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Manifold gauge set: $100
        Vacuum pump: $200
        Being able to fix your AC without paying for epa israeliteery: priceless.

Arizona is much more tolerable than Florida. At least when I sweat in AZ it does something other than sit on my skin and soak my clothes. Frick FL and all other humid hellholes. I'd much rather have no AC in AZ than FL.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Do you just drain any leftover charge into the air? Ive been thinking of DIYing if anything happens, but dont feel like being the guy that just "vents to atmosphere".
          Like for example the compressor shits the bed, you need to evacuate the charge since theres no actual leak

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

guess what? when you have a leak in your system, you just vented to atmosphere like everybody else.

if you want to pay somebody to do it, go ahead.

if you want to work on it yourself and vent it to atmosphere, go ahead.

you want to get extra enviornmetal taxed on it go have somebody capture the gas.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You probably stay in the AC all day because you sweat a frick ton here but it just dissolves and burns away leaving you dehydrated.

How to avoid this and self-diagnose at home? All the tutorials I've seen say you need some asspainsive guages and shit.

Don't want to spend $200 on tools/equip to diagnose when I can pay a shop to do that.

You can use a UV dye kit and charge with refrigerant and then look for leaks with a product like this
          https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/certified/certified-a-c-system-dye/int5/uvd1?q=ac+dye&pos=64

The proper diag though is to get manifold gauges
          https://www.harborfreight.com/r134a-ac-manifold-gauge-set-58776.html?_br_psugg_q=manifold+gauge+set
          and a vacuum pump
          https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-shop-tools/air-conditioning/air-conditioning/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

Yu can also rent them from places like autozone or oriellys. What you want to do is seal off the system and pull and vacuum then see if the vacuum holds. If it does you should put refrigerant in the system according to what your manufacturer specs call for and check to see if it is within the proper pressure for your current temp. If one side is under (most likely leak) or overpressure (blockage) then you have a problem. If your compressor is always on or always off then that is broken and needs fixing. I am guessing it is the standard 2.4l camry and not the hybrid or v6? You can get the parts for most of the whole system for less than $400, tools could be another $300 and maybe $50 in refrigerant.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Meanwhile Nipnigs shit on BMWs because they need a valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket every 10 years and their muh reliable Toyota doesn’t even need oil changes.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>car needs o-rings because it leaks refrigerant
    >the ol' mechanic Billy tells you that you need a compressor and the whole works
    >writes a bill for $1800
    >takes your car into the shop when the "compressor comes in"
    >replaces a few o-rings
    >charges it up
    >sends you on your way
    >pockets 1798.36
    >*chuckles*

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

How to avoid this and self-diagnose at home? All the tutorials I've seen say you need some asspainsive guages and shit.

Don't want to spend $200 on tools/equip to diagnose when I can pay a shop to do that.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

charge with refrigerant with UV dye oil in it.
        run it till it stops working
        look for the leak with a UV light

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

everything already has dye from factory just buy the flashlight

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You're better off owning the gauges. The last shop I dealt with missed a tiny leak (easy to do) then I got smart and got the gear.

[...]
            Works well for large leaks. I bought a separate brighter UV light than the penlight they include with the usual UV dye refrigerant.

You probably stay in the AC all day because you sweat a frick ton here but it just dissolves and burns away leaving you dehydrated.

[...]
            You can use a UV dye kit and charge with refrigerant and then look for leaks with a product like this
            https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/certified/certified-a-c-system-dye/int5/uvd1?q=ac+dye&pos=64

The proper diag though is to get manifold gauges
            https://www.harborfreight.com/r134a-ac-manifold-gauge-set-58776.html?_br_psugg_q=manifold+gauge+set
            and a vacuum pump
            https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/auto-shop-tools/air-conditioning/air-conditioning/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

Yu can also rent them from places like autozone or oriellys. What you want to do is seal off the system and pull and vacuum then see if the vacuum holds. If it does you should put refrigerant in the system according to what your manufacturer specs call for and check to see if it is within the proper pressure for your current temp. If one side is under (most likely leak) or overpressure (blockage) then you have a problem. If your compressor is always on or always off then that is broken and needs fixing. I am guessing it is the standard 2.4l camry and not the hybrid or v6? You can get the parts for most of the whole system for less than $400, tools could be another $300 and maybe $50 in refrigerant.

Where are you looking for leaks? Inside the cabin where the AC vents are? Under teh hood?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

If you can't even israelitetube it you might as well pay the shop tax

?si=bqCKGvNqE-LAvN_B

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Everywhere you can gets your eyes/UV light on while praying the leak isnt behind the dash

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Also do it at night or in a pitch dark garage etc for best results.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

That's pretty clever dude

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You're better off owning the gauges. The last shop I dealt with missed a tiny leak (easy to do) then I got smart and got the gear.

charge with refrigerant with UV dye oil in it.
        run it till it stops working
        look for the leak with a UV light

Works well for large leaks. I bought a separate brighter UV light than the penlight they include with the usual UV dye refrigerant.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Don't want to spend $200 on tools/equip when I can pay a shop $1800

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

Didn't e39 have a heat sink for instant warmth?
    What happened to that tech?

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

fix it yourself for the cost of the compressor at a junkyard/ebay and the refrigerant charge. shouldnt be more than like 250. 100 or 150 in parts + 100 for the charge= 200-250 ish bucks

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

B-but toyota reliabre!!!!
    Alfa chads win again, lul

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Meanwhile Nipnigs shit on BMWs because they need a valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket every 10 years and their muh reliable Toyota doesn’t even need oil changes.

Toyotas are more reliable

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Reliable means it will never break or fail

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

i went to visit my friend in phoenix last year in late august. he picked us up from the airport and had his windows down, so we asked him to turn on the AC and he said it was broken. so the whole weekend we're driving around with the windows down and it wasn't really that bad but i was wondering why he didn't just fix it. anyway on the last day there he had to go to work so we took his car for the day after dropping him off and being good friends we figured we'd fix his AC for him. well we go to turn it on to see what it was doing and wouldn't you know it was ICE COLD. dude just liked the heat. anyway moral of the story is don't be a b***h. also don't lie to your friends and sweat them out or else you get a can of anchovies stuffed in your AC ducts LOL

It doesn't

Doesn't work in Arizona

Sounds like these little boys can't handle some sun. Just put the windows down and go fast

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You're getting scammed, go to another shop

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Goyota not so reliable after all huh?

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Buddy I just paid $2k to get my AC fixed in my Mercedes. Ain't no fricking way your AC in a Toyota costs that much. Go to a Firestone or something.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Firestone would be worse

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The first AC job I DIYed was replacing everything forward of the firewall on an F150 and I saved a shitload of money after buying the equipment. Line wrenches, a gauge set, flex-head Gearwrench set (not mandatory but handy), a vacuum pump, a nitrogen regulator and cylinder (used which is fine since cylinders are filled by exchange so a current hydro date is no problem) etc is several hundred bucks but they serve you for life and you have more time than a shop to troubleshoot.

I've done two more of my trucks since and helped my bro do his until he bought the same for his fleet of vehicles. I should have done it years ago. BTW if you weld you can use a nitrogen regulator with any shielding gas cylinder which gases are inert so no problem. Nitrogen is dry and cheap but when I was out of nit I used MIG mix. The cylinder valves are the same (CGA 580 for nitrogen, helium, argon and MIG mix).

When modern compressors die the crumbs tend to clog the condenser though the orifice tube screen gets many of them. I'd ask on Yota forums what comps are good. I'd only install a used one if it was a known good pull or from a wreck and the orifice tube looked good (I expose those at salvage yards).

If serpentine belt hasn't been recently replaced I do those after inspecting tensioners by spinning the pulleys to ensure happy bearings.

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

lol. My 22 year old Saturn still has it's factory charge and blows ice cold. Gotta love that "Toyota reliability".

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You can do it yourself. What the frick needs to be fixed? Behind dash seals or a compressor? Compressor and evacutation/filling is fricking EASY.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Shiett only bout One-Fiddy on Amazon for the gauges and vacuum pump

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ac+manifold+gauge+set+with+vacuum+pump

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dang i got a 2010 ford ranger and the ac is ice cold.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

>The fact that you just took it at face value that his shit didn't work is also strange.
    >Your friend told you something and you believed him? Whats wrong with you?
    I was with you up until that. Some shit a borderline chick would say.

17. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

I should note Im not arizona guy im a mehcanic who hears "oh another dipshit doesnt take care of his car" and closes the case file.

18. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

>toyotas aren't cool at all
    Yeah hey are. Cool reliable and a good investment

19. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

>They're ugly, slow, gay, and a literal depreciating asset
    No they looks good, appreciate, and are reliable

20. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Where are you taking it? Had an Indy shop do the ac compressor on my GF’s accord for $750. What all are they replacing?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ac compressor

21. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have an '06 Avalon and I paid 1000 bucks for a fricking alternator, ACs been broke forever but I just drive with the windows down frick paying more for this shitbox

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I paid 1000 bucks for a fricking alternator,

https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/v-2006-toyota-avalon--xls--3-5l-v6-gas/electrical--alternator

What did they do, install it through the exhaust pipe?
      See the comments:

22. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honestly just buy and AC Charge kit and send it and see how long it holds charge for, did this once on a Jeep XJ I used to own. The first summer I did it I put a $14 can in every 2 weeks to keep it blowing cold since it leaked out, but the second summer I only topped it off in spring and it stayed charged until I scrapped it 3 years later. Didn't even use stop leak, my assumption is that the oil revitalizes the o-rings and sealed the leak over time.

>TL;DR
    Buy an AC charge kit for $40 and test it yourself before you let the AC shop israelite you for a compressor you didn't need.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Might not work with his ac pressure switches. When mine failed and I replaced pretty much everything parts cannoning it, the compressor would just build up too much pressure then activate the bypass and vent the system. If the only thing they are changing is the compressor then they are buttfricking you hardcore and you should get on craigslist or facebook to try to find a mobile mechanic that will do the labor with your parts for like $75-$100 an hour or just do it yourself and rent the gauges+ pump from an auto store.

23. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

AC is for pussies. Are you a pussy OP?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>AC is for pussies
      No in Arizona it's not

24. 3 weeks ago
    OP

I'm getting it replaced somewhere else for $1100 now boys.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I claim 10

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

yes I want Morehead

25. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>part cost-$200
    >work cost-$1700
    get ready for that receipt to piss you off

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

In fricking leafland you need a loicense to refill your a/c. Shit is mad gay. Cost me 3 grand (about 1000 real dollars) to redo the system when my compressor failed

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is it bad if you can hear every time your compressor engages? Like a thunk every 15 seconds?

Asking for a friend

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

low or high charge or a bad switch
      AC kicks on and triggers either the hi or lo switch which kicks it back off. use a multimeter to figure out which is getting triggered, figure out if the pressures in the system should be triggering it then either adjust the charge accordingly or replace the defective switch depending on what you find

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Would this be the case if the AC works? It works (although I have a leak), I just don't like the noise.
        I wanna fix it but I also don't wanna pay hundreds for the leak and gas refill and then find out that I also need a new clutch or something.

This is normal unless you have one of those fancy variable displacement pumps. The fancy pumps arent all that common and are on higher end cars

I've heard people say it's normal but I've literally never heard it on any other car except mine.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Would this be the case if the AC works? It works (although I have a leak), I just don't like the noise.
          >I wanna fix it but I also don't wanna pay hundreds for the leak and gas refill and then find out that I also need a new clutch or something.
          Yes. It shouldn't be short cycling like that, and it will wear out your compressor quickly. Buy a $60 set of gauges and check the pressures and a $20 multimeter to check the electrical continuity across the switches. Tons of youtube videos show you exactly how to do this.
          If it needs refrigerant, it's cheap and easy to top it up yourself, no need to spend hundreds of dollars.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This is normal unless you have one of those fancy variable displacement pumps. The fancy pumps arent all that common and are on higher end cars

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Rolling the window down is free.

Don't be a b***h, dude.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Doesn't work in Arizona

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *