>getting under a car on jack stands using pot metal serrations and a chinesium pawl

>getting under a car on jack stands using pot metal serrations and a chinesium pawl
Stop playing russian roulette with your life and get much stronger through pin jack stands

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

My rusted to frick jack points are more likely to fail than my chinesium jackstands. I only run my jack stands a couple notches up and I always double them up and keep the floor jack under as well for some added security.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Keep in mind three things, that are at odds.

1. A "1.5 ton" rated basic floor jack might really be able to lift 3,000 pounds...once...with the oil seals failing in the process.
      2. Your car's corner weight on one wheel is probably 800 to 1,000 pounds.
      3. That 1.5 ton jack is cheap as shit and the oil seals will begin to fail after half a dozen 800 pounds lifts.

I had several cars like this being from the Cleveland area. My dad always told me "use a major suspension part as your lift and stand points" but this is just as unsafe because of age/deterioration of the bushings of say, your A-arms, and that those bushings in factory new condition aren't meant to be used that way.
      My previous car literally could not be jacked from the pinch welds (the manual recommended jack points) because it was so rusted.

The only real answer is to buy a serious jack like HF's "racing" 2+ ton jacks, with rust we're just playing a what if game, but aside from that a real quality jack and stands on some hard braced frame/crossmember area are the only actual way.

>not using a floor lift to get under the car
      ishygddt

I'm not going to spend $1500+ on that, I'd rather dig a pit and concrete line it the woman of my house screeching be damned.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

What's wrong with floor lifts?

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

Never said it's wrong I just said I'd rather dig a drive-over pit for myself.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Pits don't seem much more useful than a set of ramps. All you can really do with them is do fluid changes or exhaust work.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

My car's only 2200lbs and I still don't get under it without minimum 2 through-pin stands rated for 2200lbs each, blocks of wood under the wheels and mother on standby.
        Did some work on my mums car today and was all 'hey this is way harder to jack up' so 4 stands on one side it was. I don't mind looking stupid but would prefer to not look dead and stupid.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>My dad always told me "use a major suspension part as your lift and stand points" but this is just as unsafe
        no it isn't. if your suspension is going to collapse when the car is not moving, it will probably collapse when you are driving and cause even bigger problems.

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

>with the oil seals failing in the process.
        I don't crawl under cars up on hydraulic jacks. Those are for lifting it until I get jack stands in place.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>not using a floor lift to get under the car
    ishygddt

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

yup you gotta have a failsafe for you failsafe's failsafe and then for added protection, have a firearm

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

If I am under the car, I have 2 jack stands on opposite sides and the jack there for backup so all 3 would have to fail at once for me to get hurt

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

well the jack is going to be the weakest lift point, what my father again taught me was to jack up, set the stands, and then load the jack (mildly) again as the first point of failure. again experience and reading has taught me this is actually stupid, but hey whatever.

Pits don't seem much more useful than a set of ramps. All you can really do with them is do fluid changes or exhaust work.

>pits aren't more useful than ramps
      You can't drive a car up ramps on all four wheels. Matter of fact you can't drive the real wheels up ramps at all.
      A pit has the benefit of being able to use body leverage and space to move parts you're taking off. Ramps, you're still back-to-the-ground, only able to use your shoulders to hold weight.

My car's only 2200lbs and I still don't get under it without minimum 2 through-pin stands rated for 2200lbs each, blocks of wood under the wheels and mother on standby.
      Did some work on my mums car today and was all 'hey this is way harder to jack up' so 4 stands on one side it was. I don't mind looking stupid but would prefer to not look dead and stupid.

My car weighs 3,517 pounds in a 55/45 F/R split. I use a 2.5 ton harbor freight "racing jack" and 3-ton stands. The stands have an absurdly high minimum distance, thus I use a large high lift 2.5 ton for them.
      Knowing what I know about ratings, designs etc. this is what I consider the minimum for the weight I have to work with. Minimum meaning "I don't have to worry about it/buy other shit for a long time"
      As far as jack lifespan is concerned, the HF 2.5 has lasted 8 years so far and I want to replace the seals and oil next year just in case. These things do wear out no matter how good and just like engine oil, it's better to be ahead of a problem than dealing with a worse one.
      For example my company has three heavy duty 5 ton jacks that are all bad, despite or perhaps in spite of almost never being used.

Refer to above - the jack is much more likely to fail to begin with, so setting on stands and then loading a jack is a waste of time.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I'm all for buying overbuilt. if it says 2 tonne, I'll dead-reckon 50% of that.
        My shitty trolley jack has lasted me 8 years and I've only had to top up the oil just this year from a weeping piston. tbh I'm surprised it's lasted this long, considering it has about 5,000thou play in everything except the hydraulics.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I don't load the jack it just sits there assuming the position to catch if the stand were to fail it's half loaded under tension but all the weight is on the stand

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>assuming the position
          Hydraulics are weaker than loaded solid jack stands. It was never a last line of defense. If your stands fail the jack is going to fail worse.

Here's the thing: Your stands won't fail for no reason so stop thinking the jack is going to do any good.

>My dad always told me "use a major suspension part as your lift and stand points" but this is just as unsafe
          no it isn't. if your suspension is going to collapse when the car is not moving, it will probably collapse when you are driving and cause even bigger problems.

Well the major point of the argument is lifting/holding by major susp points is overstressing the bushings because they aren't made to be lifted/held by jack stands. And that is true.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>Here's the thing: Your stands won't fail for no reason
            ever heard of harbor freight and their chineseium shit

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

ONE problem from ONE line of products that affected several retailers using THAT ONE source of product. Not only was it overblown by people loading too much onto a "three ton system" which is supposed to be two jacks rated to hold 1.5 tons each (FOR EXAMPLE), it was overblown from being a certain set of parts that were already rectified by the suppliers when it was made a public issue.

Remember: Your jack stands are rated as a set, that is to say, a "two ton jack" is meant to hold 2,000 pounds maximum on both jacks spread equally, not 4,000 pounds on one jack.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>your jack will stop working when your stand stops working
            wut, don't think that's how it works mate

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

A jack is weaker than stands, jacks aren't meant to take downward shock force from a stand failure. If the stands collapse and the jack is hit it's more likely to fail.
            As for suspension parts, you really should only be putting stands under solid stable points like frame rails. Jacking from control arm points should be used -to- set stands at solid frame areas.

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

>A jack is weaker than stands, jacks aren't meant to take downward shock force from a stand failure.
            The jack is supposed to be carrying a portion of the weight of the car, there is no "shock force" because the car is not falling onto it. This also reduces stress on the stand and the point it is holding, making failure less likely.

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

you're wrong but hey whatever get crushed idiot lmao

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

>taking weight off a jack stand and holding part of the load with a jack doesn't take load off the stand and hold weight with the jack!
            and men in dresses are women, right?

• 7 days ago
            Anonymous

men in women dresses are still men, and men in men dresses are not women, i don't understand the point of the question

Setting a car on stands and then loading a jack is a pointless waste of time. That is all.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>overstressing the bushings because they aren't made to be lifted/held by jack stands
            I think you're overestimating the pressure exerted on a bushing, or any suspension component for that matter, by a jackstand versus the vehicle itself and the road you're driving on. It's completely standard to jack vehicles up by their suspension points when necessary

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>Well the major point of the argument is lifting/holding by major susp points is overstressing the bushings because they aren't made to be lifted/held by jack stands. And that is true.
            Your suspension components and bushings take forces that are higher than the total weight of the car during normal driving, going over bumps and such. You aren't going to damage anything without doing something incredibly stupid like putting the jack stand under a sway bar mount or something.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>You can't drive a car up 4 ramps
        Maybe you can't

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>drive up one set
          >jack up other end
          >slide ramps under

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>You can't drive a car up ramps on all four wheels. Matter of fact you can't drive the real wheels up ramps at all.
        You can if you don't drive a gay-mobile. Funny how a pickup truck is "stupid and impractical" yet it's a hassle to do basic maintenance on a cringe mobile.

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I brought my home brand jack stands a decade ago. back when ~~*they*~~ were still more worried of class action lawsuits than their shareholders pulling out because line not go up.

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

My Lada Niva sits on four wooden 2x4 cribs.
    Pic related style of block, all screwed together.
    Four tires across the subframe, one on each corner, and two 20 inch diameter logs under the front and rear of the car.

Occasionally I will also make a wall of cinderblocks under it, all around, aside from a little hole on one side to crawl into to work.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>the stakes of jenga just got higher

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>Occasionally I will also make a wall of cinderblocks under it, all around, aside from a little hole on one side to crawl into to work.
      kek sounds like a b/o/x fort

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I use the stock scissor jack and its fine.

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I always throw tires under the car as last line of defence

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>tfw car is too low to drive up ramps
    ;-;

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

Put a piece of 2x4 in front of the ramp. Worked for me. Your car can clear a 2x4, right?

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

Yeah, probably.

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

For me, it's The Widowmaker.

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Damn, a lot of you guys are pretty paranoid. I have two 6 ton harbor freight jackstands that are at least 20 years old and two 2 ton big red jackstands that I got on sale at pep boys at least 15 years ago. I used these almost exclusively with a harbor freight long reach jack up until the point I got a lift 4ish years ago. The locking pawls and teeth looked good so I trusted them for all manner of work. As long as the teeth and pawls look good, and there are no cracks in the sheet metal or welds it should be fine.

12. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

>not putting tires under car

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *