>go for a walk outside about 10 minutes ago. >hey is that a motherfricker driving a Third Gen Camaro?

>go for a walk outside about 10 minutes ago
>hey is that a motherfricker driving a Third Gen Camaro?
>awesome even looks like the original sun-faded factory paint
>listen closely and realize from the engine sound that it's probably a V6
I don't know whether to applaud that guy for actually keeping and driving a V6 Third Gen or...

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I am going to make this exact same post in 20 years but with a Challenger in the place of a Camaro

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

There’s alot more redeeming qualities about modern V6 or turbo 4 muscle cars.

Yeah they’re gay and literally fake muscle cars, but you get better mileage, the cars are actually decent performers and they’re reliable enough to be rental cars.

Old V6 muscle cars are gutless and have half the performance with the same mpg as a v8 with none of the reliability.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

a V8 Turd Gen was a 305 engine with 110 hp. literally any modern car is more powerful, more comfortable to ride in, better fuel economy, more reliable etc than those mullet '80s shitcans

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

but do modern cars look as cool?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

They look better

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

You drive them for the LARP and going for a cruise with your Ratt cassette playing.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Honestly yeah

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

RATT has a few good songs.

>source: I’m vintage just like my car

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

didn't stick around very long compared to Motley Crue though. guess Crue had the sense to only release albums every other year instead of doing an album a year so they burned themselves out quicker.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

a V8 Turd Gen was a 305 engine with 110 hp. literally any modern car is more powerful, more comfortable to ride in, better fuel economy, more reliable etc than those mullet '80s shitcans

fun fact: you don't have to leave them stock

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Ratt
            frick yeah my Black person

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

+shit 4 speed manual

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>305 engine with 110 hp
          Anon, literally nobody left it stock. It was easy to desmoke.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Well no not really because after ripping out the smog hoses you're still left with a super-anemic cam and intakes. You'd want to 350 swap anyway, the 305 would be shit regardless. Actually even the grocery getter Caprice needed 350 swap especially if it was the station wagon.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Not that anon or much of a Chevy guy but shouldn't 350s be like a dime a dozen thing? And isn't it a simple swap like aren't they basically the same? Idk the difference but fr example like how 302 and 351 are just deck height.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

350s are a bolt-in swap, the dimensions are identical to the 305 (as opposed to the Ford V8s where the 302 and 351 are a bit different)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So that's what I'm saying it's not expensive or hard to do then. Ive also been told the 305 isn't as bad as it's memed to be anyway but idk.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The 305's problem is a bore size that's small enough to shroud the valves and affects airflow all the way through the rpm range. Yes, the engine responds to mods and may even feel pretty good. Until you drive an equivalent 350 that is.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

A Caprice wagon unless it was totally empty and had nothing but the driver inside could hardly even get up a hill with the AC on.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>he didnt get the tpi with 210 ponies and 270 torques

My fire chicken will roast the tires easy enough

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

145hp (bumps to 190 if you take out the horrible restrictive catalytic converter) and 240 lbs-ft of torque, thank you very much

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I use to see these on the road quite often in the early 90s. A fricking 99 Camry could nuke them on a straight and they would fish tail on the tiniest wee turn.

Shit cars. I really never understood post gas crisis muscle cars until post-2012 ones that actually have not embarrassing numbers.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

V6s always sound like crud anyway.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

My J35 with a short ram sounds ok at full throttle, but honestly the fricking 4 banger turbos sound better XD.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The V8 Turd Gens had the same gutless 305 grocery getter tuning engine as the Caprice. There was no actual performance there. It had tiny little intakes so the thing could barely breathe.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>woah a poor person is driving a shitty car what the frick I better go make a thread about this!!
    turd gen was bad in any trim, who cares?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Maybe in '93 a broke loser was driving that thing but nowadays a poor man's car is like a 2011 Cobalt. Today you have a Turd Gen because you're a deliberate autistic DA poster.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Today you have a Turd Gen because you're a deliberate autistic DA poster.
        or you're a poor mexican that bought it 15 years ago and never got anything else.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

brother it's still a $1500-2000 car today. poor people absolutely will drive them.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I think only way a 3rd gen survived is because the owner is a retired mechanic or something. It would take work to get them to work and a lot of no-how an dedication.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>It would take work to get them to work and a lot of no-how an dedication.
          is DA so doomed that they think an 80s v6 is hard to keep running?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Huh? Most 80s cars are laughably simple by modern standards and you can work on them with a basic wrench kit (unless it's a premium car with electronics gimmicks in it, then forget it). It's more surprising that the thing survived due to the nature of the average Third Gen owner.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

and $4C

>It would take work to get them to work and a lot of no-how an dedication.
            is DA so doomed that they think an 80s v6 is hard to keep running?

Yeah but you need to buy a lot of equipment to keep such a cheap car running. I'm thinking creepers and cranes and even jacks anymore.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>need to buy a lot of equipment to keep such a cheap car running.
            maybe if a $50 set of wrenches and sockets from harbor freight is what you deem
            >a lot

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Unless it's something like this in which case it makes a nice lawn ornament and you'll have to put your Gordon Gecko cosplay fantasy aside.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

well maybe US spec BMW. Euro ones with diesel I4 could run for 300k km and be repaired by drunken Slavs with a mallet.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

does that look like a camaro to you?
            european cars also just use regular tools to work on them, stop drinking the coolaid.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You apparently forgot that we get all the high-spec European cars with the tech gimmicks and top shelf engines.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I saw a Daytona the other day. It was parked not driving but I would have to assume it was a base I4 model because the hi-spec models with the turbo engine and tech goodies would be next to impossible to keep running--they usually shit themselves the moment the warranty expired.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Also a base Daytona was less likely to be redlined or smashed into a tree.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's easy to tell what engine is in there from the trim. Usually if it doesn't have the Z28 graphics it's safe to assume it's not a V8. Theoretically you could order a base Camaro with a V8 but it generally went "base=I4", "Berlinetta=V6", "Z28=V8."

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

As the OP said the engine sound would tell you it's a six.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Third Gen Camaro w/V6=gutless
    GM's design philosophy of that time was that economy engines got economy final drive ratios too, which in the case of the V6 Third Gens tended to be 2.73.

Making an already bad situation worse, GM chose to saddle the efi cars with a long runner intake that was much too long and killed any power above 4000 rpm. So about the time the V6 would have got going, the intake choked it off.

The majority of the V6's were automatics and GM chose the fricking huge 700R4 out of pickups for some reason. I can only assume it was because of the 3.06 First gear too help that slug get moving where the other automatics they had at that time were 2.46-2.48.

On a positive note those 60 degree 12v V6's have a fantastic exhaust burble

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>long runner intake
      I would think this is easily curable?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yes and no. You can use the later fwd 3400 short runner intakes, which is mostly a bolt-in, and get a nice bump in power.There's some minor fitment issues as I recall but I don't remember the specifics anymore.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

V6 cars used a 200r4 transmission.
      it's way weaker than a 700r4.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

More common in Sun Belt states of course where there's no rust.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The Third Gens only started to wake up with the event of the 350 IROC/GTA in '87 but it was still automatic only so as to not siphon Corvette sales.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Now she's bulletproof
    She keeps her motor clean
    And believe me, you
    She's a number thirteen

The church strikes midnight
    She's lookin' louder and louder
    She's gonna turn on your juice, boy
    Oh, then she turns on the power

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>this thread
    The '80s were a mistake, man.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

there was also the horrifying I4 F-bodies from 82-85

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I4 F-bodies from 82-85
      The Iron Poop was a mistake.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It was a good engine in its place...powering a rental fleet spec Celebrity. But not in a Firebird, please no.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Well my dad had an L-body Charger back then and a co-worker with a Camaro was always trying to get him to do stoplight races. A battle of a 2.2L 84 hp four versus a 110 hp smog 305 V8 would be like a Downie challenging a guy with a missing leg to a foot race.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

By that time the 350 in passenger cars was limited to the Corvette and police spec Caprices.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *