Has anyone here sold a car online recently?

Has anyone here sold a car online recently? It's always been a shitty experience even when times were good but now it's just a fricking nightmare. People are just flat out broke with no cash at all, yet tirekickers still want to waste your time and fish you along, it's frustrating!

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I'm in the market for a used car but I can't pay more than $3000. Also it has to have under 100k miles and clean. RWD only.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

What are you talking about, it's still a seller's market.

If you are selling a <$10,000 car - yea, no shit, 90% of the sellers are flippers, know-what-I-got, dealers pretending it's their daughter's car, etc.

Last time I bought a car was like 5 years ago and we looked at something like 30 cars to find something that actually matched the description (a 3-owner, sort-of-maintained 15 year old Camry at the "Excellent" price range with virtually no maintenance done).

What are you selling, where, for how much? Are you listing all the relevant info?

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Yeah? It's almost like it's a recession after forcing people to keep inside and printing silly trillions of money. On top of it grocery stores have hiked their prices to all time highs, octupling their profits year on year thanks to their monopoly status.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

> recession
      Find me a single manual Supra, Toyobaru, or V8 Camaro at MSRP. I will wait.

I will admit that Elantras and sometimes even Camrys are below MSRP now. Housing hasn't come down either.

I see one house in my area for $300,000 - it was owned by a fat single mom with 3 pothead daughters - mold, all bathrooms need redone, all windows replaced, whole place repainted, etc, which brings it to 400/450 if you don't do the work yourself. (Which you, as a real man, would, of course, do yourself, in a weekend).

Though I guess that it's a larger discussion of recession for the lower class and the upper 1/3rd not feeling it at all.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Homes have come down dramatically in these parts. Homes that used to be listed at 110K now at 85K and still not selling, though granted this part of the country hasn't been very valuable to begin with, but people are clearly struggling now.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

My working theory right now is that there is a huge class divide happening. The reasoning is what I outlined above - it doesn't seem like the "well-off" (not the mystical .01%, the top 20-30%) aren't feeling it at all. The expensive houses aren't coming down. Expensive manual sports cars are spoken for a year in advance. Used "high end" cars are more expensive than new still.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I expect they're just holding off for as long as they can against devaluation. Some housing companies have done the same here, forgoing all occupants in favor of keeping their valuation, even if they're hemorrhaging money doing it.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I am not sure, professionals still haven't lost their jobs in huge numbers outside of IT, and those IT layoffs are focused around California. There was still a cut in chemical, mechanical, etc engineers, but healthcare boomed around COVID and still hasn't come down hard, for example, though there are signs. Plus a lot of people were hoarding cash.

I was actually with you until a house in a flyover sold for $550,000 on day one. 40 minutes away from a shitty downtown no one has heard of. Not "elite" in any way, hasn't been refurbished since 1980. Still day 1 sale. This was like a month ago.

I was under the impression Subaru sells all their new cars at MSRP

I hear rumors that it's possible to go in and get an allocation for "whenever it gets here" at MSRP over Toyota for Toyobarus. It's not "just always MSRP" though. Correct me if I am wrong someone, but 90% sure.

The house no longer is the value, it's the land.

That's all good and nice, but it comes back to "the average person is REALLY fricked then".

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I can't speak for Toyota. But Subaru will actually fine their dealership partners if they still above msrp.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

tldr: No they don't.

> Subaru of America does not condone charging its customers over MSRP, but it also can't keep its U.S. dealers from doing it. Subaru of America President and CEO Tom Doll recently asked its dealers to live by the Subaru Love Promise and treat customers fairly because of the new model shortages.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-dealers-highest-new-car-markups-are-exposed

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

85k for a house where the frick do you live

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Fingolstan. A really crappy one you could get for 40K, but I thought it better for conversation to only consider maintained and renovated examples. Building a cool brand new house could of course run up to 200K if you like fancy

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You could also buy a 500sqft flat for ~15K if you don't mind the risk of the housing company going bankrupt and losing your apartment.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I was under the impression Subaru sells all their new cars at MSRP

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The house no longer is the value, it's the land.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

If you're doing the work yourself I have no earthly idea how you would spend $150,000 on materials to paint a house and remodel the bathrooms dude. Are you buying Sheik Golden Toilets?

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Part of the reason I really only buy interesting enthusiast cars is because I can't stand selling normie cars to normie time wasters. They'll schedule a viewing days in advance, occupy your entire saturday, and ultimately not buy the car for some inane reason like "I'm also considering this other car that has 4cu ft more trunk space and my girlfriend's bull needs to fit his hockey gear" or "Kelley blue book says xyz" or "I don't like the color".

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

if your car is still technically worth over 10k then yeah it's gonna be tough, keep driving your car for longer until it's a beater, saves you more money in the end

sold shtity 2013 hyunda elantra with over 150k km mileage on facebook market place for like 5.5k cad
    buyer came with cash, tried to haggle but there was literally someone else right there who was also itnerested so he fomo'd and frankly it was cheap enough sicne comps were like 7k
    just wanted to get rid of the garbage
    the elantra was like 15k CAD new back then, it's such a weird environment now that buying new was a better deal and probably still is even now
    having to pay "high" interest rates on financing of 4% or whatever doesnt really matter when you can get like savings rate of 5% sometimes even 6% off a bank

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

If you need a car right now and have no cash the lease deals on EVs are crazy because they're not moving. Can get a Model 3 for $249/month delivered to your door. I'm not the resident DA EVtroon but a cheap car is a cheap car if you're that hard up.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Okay so I'm sure many of you have done the Tacoma math and said that ain't worth it. Maybe you said I'll get a Ford Maverick or you know the Nissan Frontiers are going for under sticker. I analyzed it all. One thing I've noticed lately is that you got to look at the numbers. The numbers are right now favoring buying a used Honda CRV or similar. Ones with 50k to 80k miles are going for under 15k. If you wrench and can change a belt and plugs then this is the way to go. What does this have to do with a truck? So you put a hitch on that Honda and you buy a cheap harbor freight folding 4x8 utility trailer. That gives you a lot of capability at a good price. Best I can come up with. Or just continue to play the pic related game.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *