Has anyone tried simplifying a modern car yet?

By that I mean someone taking a 2010s car and ripping out
>all the nannies
>unnecessary comfort bloat
>removing EGR shit and the like
Bonus points for
>removing turbo chargers and make it NA again
And I don't mean for racing purposes, I mean for daily usage. Basically turning a 2010s car into a barebones 1980s one.
The end result should look "normal" (no ripped out carpets) but it should now be piss easy to maintain since a ton of electronics got removed and the engine bay also uncluttered with less shit that could break.
How far could you strip a modern car and keep it daily-able?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Some fca products can be modified like this through a proxi alignment, but frequently taking shit out will throw the car into limp mode

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Then rip the shit out that makes it limp and impotent. Fuel, air, spark, compression, a seat, four wheels and a steering wheel is all you need.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Tear out radiator, battery and alternator
        >WTF my car won't run? Help??!!??

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>aircooled with magnetos
          Done. What's next?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Modifying a liquid cooled engine to air cooled
            moron

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>weld on some heat sinks
            Done.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>He forgot the thermal paste
            Ngmi

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>zip tie fan in engine bay blowing on engine
            Done.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

sounds fun
    I wanna see that person also replacing the power windows with a handmade crank using parts from the hardware store

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I mean Mazda 6 in Europe exists.

> 2.5 l NA engine
    > Manual or Slushbox Auto
    > McPherson
    > 2024 cars still mechanically based on 2011

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>obtain wiring diagram/electrical troubleshooting manual for the vehicle so you know what you need to wire up
    >remove literally every electronic module
    >reverse engineer the engine systems and set up a new engine control module (off-the-shelf)
    >set up a new gauge cluster (off-the-shelf)
    >set up new body control modules (controls lights/signals/door locks etc) You'll have to make this from scratch. An arduino would be fine, if maybe unreliable. You'd have to work with existing CAN wiring, but you can send your own PIDs over the wires since everything else is ripped out. Who cares if PID 1337 triggers the airbags if the airbag module is fricking gone?
    >Good fricking luck getting the immobilizer to work, you'd be running the car Kia Boyz-accessible if you don't have a locking steering wheel.
    >Get killed by some moron pulling out in front of you, making you T-bone him, sending your forehead into the dash at 40mph. No airbags we die like real men lmao.
    >Alternatively attempt to integrate the airbag module with your new Black person-rig CAN network, trigger the airbags accidentally by turning the right blinker on.
    >Alternatively^2 disconnect the airbag module from the CAN network and run it standalone, making it do.... no clue! Will it even trigger in an accident? Who knows?

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

DIY electronics came a LONG way in the last couple years and we now have access to micro controllers and ICs that would have cost tons of money just a couple years ago.
    You could probably remove all the new electronics, just use the pure engine and come up with some simple electronics yourself if you know what you're doing. I bet you could get basic fuel injection control to work with an Arduino.
    All this of course is moronic but it would be a fun puzzle

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>cost tons of money just a couple years ago.
      Are you a time traveller from 2010 or are you just blind? Everything was cheaper and more available in 2019.
      >All this of course is moronic but it would be a fun puzzle
      Very fun indeed, i'd recommend it. Did it with an EFI riding mower once. ECU burned up (literally) and i got it for free. Stanced it and took it to a ricer meetup, got the feeling i was about to get jumped so i quickly drove off at 5mph. Good times

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You could just buy an off the shelf aftermarket ECU like a Syvecs and do it that way.

It's easy enough to remove EGR etc, people have been doing it in diesel tuning since it existed

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

look up speeduino

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you would at least have to go stand alone engine management. I would like to see this on a stripper fleet truck.

yeah, they have "speeduino" as an open source fuel management deal. too spooky for me, but it sounds neat.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>taking a 2010s car and ripping out
    >all the nannies
    Nannies like what? ABS, stability control, and traction control? Why? When have these nannies ever been obtrusive or unwanted by anyone?
    >unnecessary comfort bloat
    Just make it less comfortable? Why? I've never sat in any car and thought it should be less comfortable including cars specifically for comfort like S-classes, Rolls, jag, or even cadillac. What comfort could you possibly want to reduce in any car?
    >removing EGR shit and the like
    EGR is some bullshit but you'd be spending way more time and effort and money removing it than simply leaving it on the engine.
    >removing turbo chargers and make it NA again
    Again, why? Did you wake up this morning thinking "yep, I wish my car had about 50-200 fewer horsepower and worse fuel mileage because the compression was never really designed to run full time without boost". I'm sure you're going to say something stupid like simplifying the engine to make it last longer, but you're going to spend a couple thousand having custom headers made (since nobody on DA can weld a custom exhaust manifold) then re-tuning the engine to run without a turbo and re-do most of the intake and exhaust. To accomplish what?

OP, no, nobody has [intentionally] tried "simplifying" a modern car because all you'd do is make it measurably and notably worse.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Of course it would be "worse" directly compared to the original car.
      But I think it would be interesting as experiment to see how far you can strip a modern car to the bare 80s-like minimum and replacing most of the electronics with off the shelf parts.

2010s cars, especially 4 banger commuter boxes get really cheap and if I had the space and time I would try it myself

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Of course it would be "worse" directly compared to the original car.
        Why not just get an older worse car then instead of re-engineering all that shit?
        >I think it would be interesting as experiment to see how far you can strip a modern car to the bare 80s-like minimum and replacing most of the electronics with off the shelf parts.
        So like a track day car where everything is removed and replaced with modern equipment like ECU, nannies removed, comfort removed, and other shit? So taking an MX5 miata, removing the interior, dash, AC, radio, and traction control and replacing it with a stand alone computer?

Whats the goal here, to make a track day toy thats horrible to daily?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

shhh don't tell him

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>infotainment display replaced with a etch-a-sketch

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Sounds less moronic to buy a race car and put lipstick on it. Or even build a car from scratch

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

'anti-theft' stuff aging + failing in is what scares me about 'modern' cars
    steering lock, key chip, etc
    running an aftermarket ecu is the only real way to bypass them - and fixes lots of the crap in OPs post

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

the chad GM passlock 2 enjoyer (me)

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

you can just buy a car from the 2010s thats basic. have you never seen a yaris, or cruze, or fit, or versa or literally any other economy car of the time? This idea makes more sense for a 2020s car, but with a car made now, all that shit is so integrated into eachother, that it would be easier to restore a 90s or 2000s car and just get what you want

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I want a car for daily usage
    >Tear out all the comfort and safety equipment
    Confirmed for moronic

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Cars without all that junk were daily'd just fine decades ago

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

And they were miserable then and people preferred anything nicer.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Come back when you daily a classic car wrenchlette.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Why would I want more work for a worse car?

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

EGR is a good thing

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Sad truth is that there is no legal way to produce those cars in any salable way
    Not a lot of money making track day 2024 Dodge Neons

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

vasilisa on the front page

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Never thought I'd see these foxes on DA of all places.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

There was some company, on Jay Leno's garage, that tried it a couple of years ago. Probably out of business. Simple tube-frame performance chassis and suspension, factory LS motor and electronics, so completely CARB legal.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You can put a carbureted engine on a skateboard if you're so inclined.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Those dudes who liquorcycle up longboards terrify me

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Buy a cheap as frick car that can't afford to have special shit.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You Black folk have zero concept of how complicated the new shit is. If you so much as remove an ambient air temp sensor, the BCM won't command the AC on. Tons of data inputs go into secondary modules and that data is shot over to the PCM via data wires, not analog signals.
    Good luck coming up with your own modules that hook into the canbus.
    Leave the shit alone, and you won't have an issue.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

But anon, I'd like to erroneously delete parts of my car to make it worse. Because what moron has a comfortable and reliable vehicle?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I read about some lunatic trying to swap a 3.0 Merc diesel into whatever the frick it was. He spent ages decoding canbus signals because frick you we aren't telling you how our system works or giving you software to mod it. He was fighting with it going into limp mode because it was missing abs speed sensors.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>. If you so much as remove an ambient air temp sensor, the BCM won't command the AC on
      Replace the BCM. Actuate the AC clutch and mix valve with an arduino or some shit. PCM gets angry? Replace it. Gauge cluster doesn't work with the new PCM? Replace it. Tear everything out until you're left with just the raw, dumb parts like the battery, starter, coil packs and injectors.
      >Good luck coming up with your own modules that hook into the canbus
      It's actually pretty easy. They're mostly fixed bit fields. Bit 4 of byte 7 of PID 49 means the AC is on. So on, so on... Speed is a 16-bit number representing 10ths of a mile per hour.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Tear everything out until you're left with just the raw, dumb parts like the battery, starter, coil packs and injectors.

This homie wants to drive a frame

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Wheels and axles would be nice too, but thats the idea.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yeah no
      Carburator goes vroooom

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous
        • 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Also if you get a car with an LS/LT, you can drop a bolt on carb kit and get rid of most electronics.

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

i have a chrysler 300 project, it was a 2.7 with a 42rle, but im considering other engines, basically anything that will bolt to the 42rle, some dont use canbus so that would involve swapping some dash electronics and bypassing modules, etc, making it oldschool. this would not actually be hard once you understand how the modules just middle man pre-existing shit. the gauge cluster probably wont work, but cruise, hvac, lights, etc should work no problem. i ALMOST want to put a straight piped 4.0 I6 in it just to frick with people.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>i ALMOST want to put a straight piped 4.0 I6 in it just to frick with people.
      American straight-sixes get no love. Do it homosexual, put a howling I6 in the Black person wagon.

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I feel like there's not really any limit to the level of simplification you could push with if you were willing to do the work - prime example is Project Binky, completely custom made and engineering from the ground up. Obviously it would eventually get cost prohibitive. But for a typical modern car, I'd probably look into the following:
    >exchange engine management for something aftermarket and modular that can be programmed without thousands of dollars worth of scan tools
    That alone solves a heap of stuff like emissions controls and opens up the ability for you to remove things like stability control, traction control, and more.
    >suspension
    I don't imagine you would have to frick around with this too much realistically. Even now I don't think there are all that many cars with super proprietary active suspension systems outside of very high end stuff.

IMO it would start to get painful when you begin removing things that hook into the CAN bus because there's next to nothing directly wired into a car anymore. You would have to pull out pretty much everything and wire it directly, and figure out how to get your aftermarket engine management to interact with the gauge cluster. A lot of people end up grabbing one of those Haltech Racepak things to just install in front of the gauges anyway. Airbags I would get rid of altogether, safety is hardly a concern if you're tearing down a car and modifying it to this extent.

By far the largest issue I actually see is getting something like this road legal. I don't live in the USA but I suspect if I took a modern car for safety inspection to obtain registration for it, nobody would be willing to even touch anything that had been re-engineered entirely - if they can't plug their OBD2 reader into it assuming it's a car that should have a port, it won't be eligible for registration. Simple as.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The majority of States in the USA have zero registration inspection for normal vehicles. My state doesn't even do a VIN inspection on a title transfer.

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

infinitely cheaper to take a pre 2010 car and keep it running forever

22. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It's not quite 2010's, but you might be interested in what Robot Cantina is doing with swapping Harbor Freight engines into a Saturn and now a Honda Insight. https://yewtu.be/channel/UC_e1W-VZ1ygjbKQGjXB1f4g

23. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The amount of work required is not worth the end result. It' is a monumental amount of boring bullshit. Just look at the MCM build where they converted a regular UP into a gti UP. Using all factory parts and the cars were only .5 or 1 generation apart. Absolute clusterfrick.

24. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You can drop a carburated engine on any RWD car, you can literally rip all the electronics and wire it up again in less than a day

It is extremely based and redpilled

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes, you could
      But why?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Are you tired of computers adjusting complex engine parameters automatically and quicker than you can blink?
        >Don't you just hate it how modern cars are so usable you can just get in and drive for 8 hours without any worry of a breakdown?
        >Do you have too much free time throughout the year and want to fill your idle time with car maintenance such as tune ups?
        Then a carbureted engine from the 1960's is just for you. Rip out all those pesky wires, sensors, and computers and replace them with ancient tech that is inherently less reliable today! As an added bonus, you'll be making less power while making much more noise and consuming significantly more fuel! Installation is as easy as 1-2-3!
        Step 1: simply rip all electronics out
        Step 2: Simply install this expensive crate engine and tune
        Step 3: waste all your time trying to get it work. It simply takes less than a day according to a guy who's never done it that fast!

Act now and you too can become the boomer! Claim that its a $10,000 car, you put a $6000 engine in, and have dozens of hours put in so $40,000 for a worsened car is a great deal!

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Some people like it when their car performs worse

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yes, you could
          But why?

Seething EFI homosexuals

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Wow I sure am jealous of your more expensive, worse performing car

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You have no car.

Also, imagine not driving a bone stock Ford Transit fleet van. You can't. You will never know such sublime pleasures, because chances are you are an AI or to the right and down of #FFEAC8 .

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I have an Acura Integra

25. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Would probably make it run worse and less reliably

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

0/10

26. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>electronics bad

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yes, absolutely they are. These newer generation cars are going to start feeling that when the tech bullshit in them goes out of production in less than 10 years.

27. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

modern DA really defending moms-crossover tier monitors and electronics. never thought i'd see the day

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Yeah, nuDA also hates fun. Same happened to DA. Talk about some DIY project? Replies: wHy WoUlD u dO tHiS?? jUsT bUy nEw tHiNg!

28. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Nobody does this aside from building race cars. The boring reality of cars is that people use them for specific purposes. A daily driver has to be the best, most comfy car possible. This isn't Mad Max where you daily drive a race car in the wasteland to outrun raider gangs, although I wouldn't blame you for being prepared for that scenario.

29. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

there's nothing stopping you from buying a flood car and stripping it down, putting a carb'd engine + 3 speed, putting in shitty autometer gauge cluster, and wiring up your blower motor and a/c compressor to a set of switches and dial resistors. it will look like shit because no one fricking does this, but it will work

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>there's nothing stopping you from buying a flood car and stripping it down
      Ooo that is actually a fricking nice idea. Those can often be had ridiculously cheap for obvious reasons but would be perfect for this

30. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>How far could you strip a modern car and keep it daily-able?

Shitcan the drivetrain while you're at it since that's most of the problem. Wire it all like a 1960s vehicle which is very easy work.
    Then stick a naturally aspirated 1980s engine and gearbox into the shell after suitable mods.

31. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

why do this when the used car market exists?

buy a car with the shit you want.

32. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The base level Dacia Sandero does not have a touchscreen

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *