Have you changed your power steering fluid lately? I think 20 years was maybe a bit too long.

Have you changed your power steering fluid lately?

I think 20 years was maybe a bit too long.

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mine leaks so it flushes itself.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

based. mine flushes itself every 5,000 miles or so, I just need to keep the lil fella topped off now and then.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

idk how to kek, when it breaks I'm depowering the rack.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I did it the basic way: Suction it out of the reservoir, fill it with fresh fluid, run the car for about 20 seconds turning the wheel a bit, empty, refill, and repeat for 5 quarts of fluid.
      No chance of breaking anything taking the tubing apart.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Easy way to run the pump dry. I raised up the wheels and then turned the wheels with engine off. Turning the steering wheel will still make it pump fluid. Also took off return line from the reservoir to get the old fluid out.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mine changed itself nothing two zipties didn't fix

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You should do power steering fluid and brake fluid every 30k

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is this a joke, as this is my change of oil inteval

I never replace steering or brake fluid. Just add brake fluid when change calipers/hosd

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No, it's not a joke. At an average 15k miles per year, changing the power steering and brake fluid every 2 years is good preventative maintenance.
        Every 2 years or 30k miles I also change:
        >non-synthetic transmission fluids
        >differential oil
        >copper core spark plugs
        >spark plug wires
        >distributor cap and rotor
        >engine coolant
        For synthetic transmission fluid and platinum/iridium plugs I change them every 4 years or 60k miles

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I bought my last rig out of a field, it'd likely never had it's fluid changed. It's at minimum 20 years old, and I drove it home 1000 miles with nothing but a battery and air in the tires. Same goddamn fluid still in the power steering, it's daily driven now for 3 years.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

K, keep me posted

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I would say do brake fluid at least once ever 4 years
      same for power steering and coolant
      trans, and diff fluid changed every 40k

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Bold of you to assume that any of my cars have power steering

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous
    • 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Your BMW has.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Every year until the fluid becomes clear

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

What's the point? I've never had a vehicle with power steering fail. Why does the fluid need changing?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

moisture gets in and then system starts to rust. Same with brakes, piston gets rust pits and then gets stuck.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Brake fluid is also hydroscopic - it readily absorbs moisture out of the air. Just like ethanolated fuel.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Mine was definitely whining a bit with the 20 year old fluid in it. I could hear it quieten up as I was adding the new fluid.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I changed the "lifetime fill" oil in my manual transmission today since my synchros decided to almost stop working.
    I had to hold pressure on the stick while letting up the clutch to get the gears to pop in, so I figured either it's fricked or the oil is actually worn out since it's 26 years old.
    I no longer crunch gears like an old lady and the car shifts like new, can recommend.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Lifetime fluid fill is a scam. They want you to not maintain your vehicle so it has a major component failure and you need to get a new one

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yeah. I'm surprised the fluid that came out wasn't sparkling, it just looked like brown sewer water.
        There was only a single metal chip on the drain plug. Managed to change it just in time before any catastrophic failure I guess.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The scam is that they don't want to cover refills under warranty. They don't want the car to break, that leads to a bad reputation

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Power steering?

>reputation
          Liability was the word you were trying to think of.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, I said the right word.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Once it's past 100k miles they don't give a damn about the car. You should be buying a new one, don't you care about the economy?
          If they could figure out how to program into it that it stops working at exactly 100k and get away with it, they would

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Completely flushed the system, cleaned the lines and everything when I swapped the engine nearly four years ago

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I change mine every race season.
    RedLine fluid + Vacuum bleed.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Power steering is only useful at a stop so it isn't really that necessary anyways.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

and what benefits will I get by changing my steering fluid before I notice any issues?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I did a change on a high mileage corolla once.
      made the steering feel smoother and lighter

Power steering is only useful at a stop so it isn't really that necessary anyways.

pretty necessary on cars above 3,000lbs senpai.
      or race cars.
      no way human arms gonna muster 1,000lbs+ of force.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you won't be noticing the issues

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>what benefits do I get by doing preventative maintenance instead of waiting for it to break
      I'll have to get back to you on that one

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *