have you ever actually known a car that had to be written off because of poor oil maintenance?

due to change my oil this week so i've been rabbit holing on motor oils. seems like every single brand has its devout adherents claiming they put 250k miles on their chevy and the engine is still sparking clean inside because they used ___-brand oil. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 99% of cars that get scrapped go out because of random other assorted expensive problems and nothing related to oil/lubrication at all. in fact, i've seen videos on youtube of vehicles going on 20k+ miles without a change and by all accounts the cars run okay. is it some kind of outdated boomer lore that a car lives or dies by your oil changes?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it's just confirmation bias

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>have you ever actually known a car that had to be written off because of poor oil maintenance?
    I've heard of people writing them off by wrecking them.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Written off? No. Engine rebuilt? Yup.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Oil is the most important because it's simultaneously keeping your crank shaft, rods, cylinders/pistons, valvetrain, and turbocharger (if you have one) alive. Vehicles that rarely get it changed may still run, but that is usually an indicator of severe neglect in other ways that will lead to them being totaled anyway.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

shhhhhhh. dont let big lube see this thread

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>big lube

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Oil is the most important one but all the fluids should be serviced regularly to keep everything in good order. Believe it or not the biggest killer of engines is overheating usually because nobody ever changes the coolant till it either eats the head gasket or dissolves the water pump

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

op here and this is exactly what i was thinking. i'd imagine more cars are in the scrapyard because they blew a headgasket or messed up timing and bent valves than because they went 12k miles between oil changes.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I am going to make an analogy here: Let's say that you wear sunscreen whenever outdoors, lift weights 2-3x a week, cardio once or twice a week, stretch, brush and floss your teeth religiously, etc. Would you neglect eating healthily on top of that? Oil's job is THE MOST IMPORTANT job in the entire engine, not changing it for tens of thousands of miles is like consuming corn syrup slop day in and day out.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yea, timing issues are another huge case of engine kills. Timing belts especially. Nobody replaces timing belts then get suprised that it snaps at 150k miles when it's supposed to be replaced every 60-100k miles

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I was very irresponsible with my first car and went probably 60k miles without ever changing the oil lol. still ran but the clutch was on its way out so I sold it for scrap.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

> 60k miles without ever changing the oil
      Holy shit dude what engine was that?

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have seen it numerous times as a mechanic but most of the time I've seen it go like, person doesn't change the oil so it doesn't get new oil. Oil runs low spins a bearing and engine kill. But I have one that plain happened from no oil changes. The car had 80k miles and the owner was complaining that they have to add 1.5quarts of oil every 1k miles. The oil was last serviced 20k miles ago. The best part was she wanted the piston replacement goodwilled. I had a laugh as she was refused good will

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Oils have really good mandatory standards so any type you can get in a store is fine.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>have you ever actually known a car that had to be written off because of poor oil maintenance?
    Every fricking Ford with a 5.4l 3 valve ever fricking made.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Laughs in cam phasers.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Stupid things. One was going out on an engine I took great care of on a coyote

11. 4 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

alot of older cars that were given poor oil change intervals or given cheap oil (cheap oil used to be really really shitty pre 2000s) and they would be caked with hardened oil/dirt chunks and shit, whenever you bought one of these you took a gamble on whether it was going to clog an oil galley or lifter and sudoku itself.
    I imagine half the cars you revive from that era that ever had quakerstate put in them probably would not live a few months of normal driving.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes, I've known plenty of cars where the engine died

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yeah but i mean it was a 2.7 chrysler lmao, thing was fricking doomed to die in the next 10k from a number of other problems. all these cars hit the scrapyard a year or two after they were made, no one is paying $2500+ for a fricking 2.7 engine let alone the shop labour to put it in

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nope but I’ve seen those shit ass 2.4 Chryslers and jeep pentastars get oil changes religiously at 5k intervals and still eat the cam and lifters before 100k lmao

15. 4 weeks ago
    civil engineering stud

Oil changes are the cheapest and most impactful maintenance you can do for your engine. You don't need to buy super fancy oil but some oils are clearly better than others. I'm a big fan of Shell Helix (GTL base) over any other semisynths for cars and Repsol Smarter for bikes because of its heavy emphasis on anti-wear compounds in its additive package. Don't buy HC-base oils sold as "synthetic", they're barely improved mineral base oils.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I got my first car for free because some moron drove it until there was no oil and kept going until a piston broke through the block

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The three 7200kW MAN 6L48/60CR engines I work with have run almost 24/7 for three years straight without an oil change and they're fine. Don't worry about it.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Well an engine ran 24/7 at a constant RPM is gonna have way less wear and tear than a car engine.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

my engines aren't MAN's and aren't generators... MAN.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Those engines aren't generators either, anon. A generator is a separate machine.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

you aren't wrong, Man. Still, duty cycle and usage is totally different, man.

>mechanic used 5w20 instead of 0w20
          Should I be concerned

Only if you live in the arctic and it's cold

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

> claiming they put 250k miles on their chevy and the engine is still sparking clean inside because they used ___-brand oil.
    The nuts on those forums change oil religiously every 5k miles. Their engine still looks brand new because they changed their oil often, not because they used X brand oil

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Wow it almost sounds like letting the oil get to 10k+ miles is a really bad idea and all of these people are the proof of it.

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Well my mom's durango had lifter tick(05 5.7 hemi) for 100,000 miles and was making a right racket when we got rid of her at 250k miles. 5,000 mile oil changes.

My sister's gen 1 mr2 1zz is dead and needs a clutch, been drinking 1 quart of oil per tank. Killed 1 catalytic converter. Was used for short trips so I don't blame the engine too much, mostly toyota for not making oil holes big enough.
    130k miles.

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Go look at teardowns of bad high interval engines and tell me if you want to be a israelite and save $35 every few months.

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>mechanic used 5w20 instead of 0w20
    Should I be concerned

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

You should be thankful

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I'll find graphs tomorrow. Where I live it doesn't get below freezing anyways so the viscosity difference shouldn't matter. Still this POS is under warranty so next time I'm just sticking to 0w20

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I once weakened the oil pump on a subaru loyale by running 10w40 instead of the 5w30 it asked for, for about 1000 miles. It used to hold steady about 40psi no matter the engine speed, but with the thicker oil it went high at freeway speeds, and then when I put the right oil in the gauge would drop to near 0 at stoplights.

22. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes. Co-worker’s new car died at around 40,000 miles because they had never changed the oil.

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I changed my oils, I used champion oem ford 5w30 for years. No problema. One year I got lazy, let the mechanics use generic shell 5w30. The car is no more.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

All oil refineries (including fuel) are required to meet a specific standard in their oil.
      Ie: they're all the fricking same, the difference being the additives they add. Use the cheapest oil you can find at the correct intervals and you will never have an issue, simple as.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>They're all the same except the difference
        Look up the Project Farm lubricity tests and heat resistance, there is a huge difference between cheap and good oil.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

If an oil doesn't meat the posted lubricity rating, then it is illegal to sell, simple as.
          Also, there is no cheap vs. Good oil, just oil vs oil with additives

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

There is a legal minimum for lubricity which oils need to satisfy. The basic oil from Walmart satisfies this standard. But more expensive oils exceed the standard. You will absolutely get less engine wear if you pay more for a more expensive oil. You can also pay more to get an oil that maintains its lubricity in a high temperature environment for a longer time.
            >There is no cheap vs expensive oil, just oil vs oil with additives
            The oil with more additives costs more money and is better. Are you trying to make a point or just post some moronic semantics?

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes

25. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

yes

26. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I may have gone like 30k without an oil change on a car before and didn’t check the level until the point the oil light flashed on turns, and it definitely started burning a lot more oil the last few miles before an oil change and forever after that.

Watch some videos of engine rebuilds, there’s this Dave’s Auto Center that is interesting. You will see the engines that are fricked because of a freak accident, others that are fricked because of poor engineering, and plenty of engines that need to be rebuilt because of lack of maintenance.

27. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>vehicles going on 20k+ miles without a change and by all accounts the cars run okay
    sure, and there are chain smokers and alcoholics that live long lives. the way I would explain engines/cars grenading due to lack of maintenance is that concept would be akin to someone dying due to lack of exercise or poor diet. they're massive contributing factors to other acute problems and overall health decline, but being a fat frick doesn't just cause you to keel over and die. it's not quite the same, but say you're lax with changing fluids, replacing damaged or worn parts before they break or frick up other stuff, and so on, you're increasing the chances that something much more catastrophic could happen that could have (maybe been) easily been avoided had you taken some prevention or followed routine maintenance

28. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

go to the utube channel "just rolled in" and get back to us.

29. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My friends wife blew her Kia Soul up because she had only changed the oil once in 55k miles. He was too embarrassed for me to pry too hard but it's my understanding that it made grinding noises and smoke on the highway and needed a "new" engine.

30. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

At the end of the day what matters most is that you change your oil routinely with a quality product. And I say this while being incredibly autistic about which auto parts I buy, to the point that the local Toyota dealership knows who I am, what vehicle I’ve been buying parts for lately, and they give me volume discounts on OEM parts despite my never asking for them. Try to go with something somewhat decent (no dollar store shit), but realize that vehicles simply age; what you’re doing is allowing them to age gracefully, so that later maintenance is simpler than if you never took care of it in the first place. Personally I like Castrol, and it’s all we’ve ever run since said Toyota dealership used to sell that brand. Now they only carry Mobil 1. Pic related is a motor that has run Castrol GTX 10w-30 variants for 31 years. It is one of Toyota’s less popular engines the 3VZE, in a 1993 T100, and I had to replace the valve cover gaskets because they were leaking like a sieve. All you see there is oil varnish. No black sludge, no coolant milkshake from head gaskets (YET). Even on our vehicles that run synthetic oils, we change at like 3-4k miles, but no more than 5k. After the work, it still uses a little oil, but I found through compression testing that it needs new rings anyway. Again it’s a 31 year old vehicle, but it’s in a lot better shape than what most normies drive simply because we perform regular maintenance on it.

Oh yeah and flush your brake fluid every two years religiously. It’s a hydroscopic fluid and soaks up moisture like crazy, and rusts the shit out of your brake lines. I’m a burgeoning wrenchlet so ask me how I know that one…

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

In retrospect I might be exaggerating a bit about the sludge, but I mean like from the Just Rolled In channel where they have what looks like grease coming out of the motor. Yes I can see the black crud on some of the surfaces including the camshaft, but that's about it.

31. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

Oooh shiny, you'd think it'd been just put together.

32. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes. As a dumbass high school kid I decided to see how fast my 93 Tercel could go.
    >low engine oil light? I’ll just ignore that.
    Got her up to 110 on a rural eastern Oregon road before a gut wrenching grinding sound and immediate loss of power. Apparently the piston looked like a baked potato wrapped in foil.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *