Have you ever driven Coast to Coast in the US before? Is it worth it?

Have you ever driven Coast to Coast in the US before? Is it worth it? How long did it take and how many hours of driving did you do each day?

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Did essentially a coast to coast early spring with a trailer behind me, took my time on the way out and stopped 3 nights cause had stuff to take care of on the trailer. Was about 40 hours according to the gps, came out about 45 hours by the time it was said and done. On the way back I did not stop from Seattle to KC rested a night then banged out back to VA. Aim for like 14-16 hours realistically.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Any states not worth stopping in at all or avoiding?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not really once you get past the Mississippi they all kind of blend together till the Rockies. Only thing would to be kind of planning around weather.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Alabama and mississippi suck. Full of depressing fat human filth and no biodiversity or elevation change. Louisiana is much the same but new orleans has some redeeming features. Kansas and missouri seemed really empty. I mean I know they have cities and shit but damn they have a lot of nothing as well. I just drove through them. Lot of nothing in Texas but parts of it are good and interesting and at least the nothing you can drive through at 85 mph. Colorado is amazing, definitely check out colorado. Also the desert flowers are worth seeing in early spring out in Arizona and elsewhere. The entire west coast is amazing and worth exploring. Idaho is underrated and Montana is beautiful. Never been to a lot of the others though

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Full of depressing fat human filth and no biodiversity or elevation change.
          if you actually got out and saw any of either state other than I-20 you'd be singing a different tune. homosexual.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I live in the middle of the country so I've never done coast to coast, but I've driven to both from here.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Not coast to coast but I did California to Colorado in two days. Definitely worth it. Going to Yellowstone in a week. Maybe I'll post some pics. Maybe not. Maybe frick yaself.

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I drove in an HRV in 3 days as fast as possible. Los Angela's to Baltimore. Plan to drive back to San Francisco in a Tesla Model 3 RWD. It will be interesting to compare the experience.

Overall, I'd say it was pretty bland. Aside from Arizona which had beautiful snowy mountains, all the flat highways flanked by trees that don't give you any view was so fricking dull. Any parts with mountain roads were awesome.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Oh, and I drove like 14-16 hours per day.

5. 4 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I’ve done this trip from south west to the east like hundreds of times doing trucking, and for enjoyment and visiting family, everything past the Rockies is basically purgatory and not worth visiting

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

2x East to West (I-80 once, and I-70 once)
    Approx 4 days each
    Driving 10-14hr/d

Tis of the boregasm except the area around Grand Junction CO is pretty on I-80. That about it.

Now I drive a ton but never just straight East/West X-c**t unless there be sum reason.

Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington, California are way more fun to drive around. If you are a tourist I recommend flying into one of those places and making a giant circle, not straight cross-c**t

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nothing west of the Rockies is worth your time

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

when i was 12 my family drove from VA to CA in a Lincoln Navigator because we were moving
    took us like three weeks because we took our time and stopped at tourist traps and to visit relatives along the way (my extended family is scattered across the nation)
    it was equal parts entertaining and despair inducing
    definitely a formative experience
    would love to do it again someday without my family and an overweight labrador along, and in a more enjoyable ride

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes. Several times in my life.
    It’s not worth it unless you are moving and are trying to save a bit of money.
    If you are rich, just fly to whatever place you want to visit, you will get sick of being on the road whether you are alone or with family.

However if you want to go: My genuine recommendation is to make a list of significant landmarks or monuments you want to see before you die as well as certain foods of a region you want to try.

I really want to go to Miami and try some authentic Cuban food.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I've done LA to Philadelphia three times. So about an hour short of coast to coast

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Twice. Once solo in a Miata, was peak comfy

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Closest I've done is DC to Phoenix and back. Stopped in Knoxville and Amarillo on the way out and Oklahoma City and Nashville on the way back. Knoxville to Amarillo was pretty brutal, I think about 13 hours, that's why we spaced the stops a little different on the way back.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have found it takes about 3 days to go 2400 miles, do with that info what you will.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Closest I have done so far is from Salt Lake City to Buffalo: 1,998 miles in 30 hours in my 300zx. I stopped for gas and to pee only.
    My dream is to do the cannonball, but I'm not sure if I could stay up like that anymore. Would probably need a co-driver and aux fuel tank. Maybe I'll pull it off one of these days.

Worth it would depend on a lot of different factors. When you have the money, stopping at a hotel isn't that big of a deal but honestly neither is taking a nap in the backseat if you can. I would avoid Arkansas and Mississippi if I had a choice.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I see Upper Michigan had enough and finally split off

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

lol good catch. to be fair I haven't driven there.

Another long ass trip was from Norfolk to Salt Lake City. I didn't do that straight through though I stopped for a hotel twice. Then went down to St. George, then over to Arches, then back to VA. I like it out west.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Arkansas
      At first, I thought Arkansas was a slog going east to west on I-40, but once you get west of Little Rock and more into the Ozark region there's some really pretty lakes

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

fair enough, I would be willing to give it another chance. I just was driving through i40 and i30 into Texas. That trip was Buffalo to around Houston, stopped once in TN. That was in a rental Yukon XL Denali for work. Then towed a trailer with it to LA then back to NY. Wanted a new truck pretty bad after that, the Denali was sweet.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

from Alaska to Mexico, California to Virginia, and then Virginia to Nevada. only places that really sucked were northern Canada and Texas. TX only sucked because I drove through the northern portion of it and there isn't anything there. I loved traversing the different regions and seeing the landscape change every few hundred miles

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *