Have you ever flown out to buy a car and then driven it back? What's your experience?

Have you ever flown out to buy a car and then driven it back? What's your experience?
How far back did you have to drive it?
Should I buy a one way ticket or round trip in case it goes bad?

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I flew from Vegas to Alabama to pick up a square body
    The tires were out of date by over a decade, no spare, no insurance or registration, I drove back to Vegas without sleeping, it was winter and there was no heat, there was a bad exhaust leak and it was filling the cab with fumes and I had to keep the window down in winter, it burned so much oil I had to add a gallon every time I filled up, it blew a head gasket in New Mexico, I dumped every head gasket fix product on the shelf into it and it kinda fixed it enough that I only needed to add one gallon of water every time I got gas
    I made it without getting a flat or getting pulled over and I was so tired I was hallucinating when I reached Vegas

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Go back to calling yourself Mrcummy if you're gonna keep the same trip.

• 4 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I can do whatever I want, even drive across the country with decade expired plates

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Based but i find it hard to believe that the dickhead cops in nv didnt hassle you

• 4 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I never saw a cop the entire trip except in flagstaff and I just pulled into a gas station and acted like I was getting gas to get em away from me

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I've seen the same car in my hood with expired out of state plates for 4+ years. Yet they'll ticket someone on a hill for not crimping their wheels in a matter of 30 minutes

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Damn and I was just talking about from San francisco California to Portland Oregon lmao, 10-12 hour drive. Could split it in two days.
      As I have work, I can only do it during the weekend.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

SFO to poorland? Just road trip with your friend and if the car is good buy it, if not, just go visit the redwoods and beaches and drive back. I live in Seattle and its a 10 hour drive to SFO. Or by airport its like 12 hours of lite rail, waiting, delays, finding your luggage, renting a car or taking the piss soaked Bart, possibly getting mugged on the way

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Just road trip with your friend
          I wish i had friends willing to drive me somewhere eleven hours away but i dont

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Poorland to SFO shouldn't take 11 hours unless you're driving a semi truck. Make some friends. Especially if you're immature. You could find some underemployed 18-25 y/o who's bored and they would jump on the chance to drive 800+ miles assuming you're not super creepy and wierd.

Also why would you drive down there? Are you looking for a specific antique that doesn't exist within 50 miles?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I have to eat too.
            I have friends but i wouldnt drive someone 10 hours somewhere, i'd expect them to just fly. I dunno why youre asking this, im perfectly happy to fly lol. SF to Portland isnt an expensive flight.
            No it does not exist in a 50 mile radius Or a 500 mile radius. Portland being ~550 miles from SF.
            The options and color i want at least.

I flew across a few states to pick up a car. Was about to give up on the deal and only then did I think about how I'd get back to the airport and buy another ticket. I don't own a smart phone. Luckily the seller came down enough and I left with the car. I also scheduled to pick up a large tow kit for another car an hour East, so was able to make that appointment. I removed the rear seats, loaded up the tow kit, and drove home. It worked out for me. This was a salvage title 6MT E90 M3 that I am using as a donor for 2 other cars.

Well i asked them to double confirm the final out the door price of the car and Im fine with it. Would absolutely suck if i got there and they wanted to charge another couple thousand or something.

Yes.

Flew out to Florida from Texas. Looked at the car, bought it, did the paperwork, flew back, organized shipment with seller, brought to my town on the back of a truck with 4 other vehicles all headed in the same direction for $450.

This was 2 years ago, btw.

Yeah I asked if they could ship after i go there to test drive and they said they can't arrange it. So I do have to drive it back.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Seattle to sfo is a 9-11 hour drive including stops for fuel and 1 meal. Starting in poorland should save 2 hours. I just dont understand how people can stand the airports, security, baggage claims and car rental process when its quicker and more comfy to drive. Now that airplane reliability has dropped, I wouldn't even consider it. The only way it would make sense to fly from PDX to SFO is if you lived at the airport and you were checking out the car in the SFO parking garage, and you knew that you were flying on a properly maintained airplane manufactured between 1980 and 2005.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, the issue wasn't with the price exactly. We'd settled on that. But they seriously misrepresented the condition of the car, so when I got there it was my initial reaction to just walk away, but we got from $17k or whatever down to $15.5k so I looked the other way about some egregious repaint issues, etc.

Of course I was buying a salvage car that went through the 2018 Texas floods, got repainted a different color after that for unrelated reasons, and overall it was a shotgun purchase.

I have traveled huge distances for many cars before, and those all worked out fine because I spent more than a few hours contemplating the condition of the car, etc

I guess my advice is to have a decent idea of what you're buying, and/or have an exit plan if it doesn't work out.

Good luck.

Oh and have a plan for the money. I like to meet at a branch of my bank in their area and test drive the car for a tiny bit then come back to the bank and get a cashier's check or whatever the buyer wants drawn in person so they are confident it's legit and you're not carrying tons of cash.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Dude you should have checked out the Pacific NW we have shitloads of squarebodys left

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>PNW square bodies
        Frick off, we're spoken for.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Shame it didn't kill you. You sort of sound like my type of homie but forcing your degenerate shit into the open is irredeemable.

https://i.imgur.com/Lpb6skp.png

How far back did you have to drive it?
      Should I buy a one way ticket or round trip in case it goes bad?

I flew from Virginia to Phoenix to drive a 72 El Camino back home with a short detour to drive El Camino Viejo while I was out there. Drove the whole way without a plate, I think I had insurance. Funnily enough I went through a border control checkpoint and they either didn't notice or didn't say anything about the plate, they seemed more concerned about whether I was white and whether I had any beaners. Exhaust hanger broke in west Texas so I Black personrigged a fix with a rubber strap from a truck stop. 8/10 would do again

• 4 weeks ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>but forcing your degenerate shit into the open is irredeemable.
        when did I ever put anything degenerate in the open?

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You the mr crummy fella?

• 4 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

yes?
            here's a pic of the square body I drove, I stopped at some abandoned building in New Mexico and took a pic then slapped the roadkill logo over it

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Shit looks nice how far have you gone along with fixing it up? Also how familiar are you with Arizona?

• 4 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>Shit looks nice how far have you gone along with fixing it up?
            did a frame notch on it and dropped it down low then it got traded for an old suburban which also got notched and dropped down low
            im pretty familiar with Arizona from just driving through it like 100 times

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I live in California, my parents bought a house in surprise AZ and have bothering the piss outta me to move there but although the cost of living and policies in general being better than California by a landslide I have no desire to move there because of the heat and it's probably boring with the main fun riding dirt bikes and shooting guns. I don't like the feeling/thought of running out house and into car cranking up the ac or running out car and into store where there's AC.

• 4 weeks ago
            [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

>in general being better than California
            anywhere is better than cali (politically)
            >the heat
            you'll need a swamp cooler in the garage 100%, not an option
            >main fun being dirt bikes and guns
            correct, also exploring mines and off roading in RZRs and jeeps
            the heat isn't that bad I've lived in Vegas for over a decade and the heat never bothered me, the trick is to just cover your skin with light colored and breathable clothes, drink lots of water and stay out of direct sunlight

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My cousin flew a few states over to buy a practically new escalade for a very good price from some old dude who had an even newer one so was selling the other

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I haven't but the sales guy did. He really really wanted a Lexus IS300 sedan in 'triple black' eg black paintjob, black leather interior and matte black instead of chrome wheels and grille. He flew down to LA to buy one used from Seattle on Friday and drove it back across the weekend

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

no, but i did drive 400 miles to get my truck and have been thinking about flying to the west coast to pick up a motorcycle.

just buy a one way.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I flew across a few states to pick up a car. Was about to give up on the deal and only then did I think about how I'd get back to the airport and buy another ticket. I don't own a smart phone. Luckily the seller came down enough and I left with the car. I also scheduled to pick up a large tow kit for another car an hour East, so was able to make that appointment. I removed the rear seats, loaded up the tow kit, and drove home. It worked out for me. This was a salvage title 6MT E90 M3 that I am using as a donor for 2 other cars.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yes.

Flew out to Florida from Texas. Looked at the car, bought it, did the paperwork, flew back, organized shipment with seller, brought to my town on the back of a truck with 4 other vehicles all headed in the same direction for $450.

This was 2 years ago, btw.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had a guy fly out to oregon from LA, pick up my truck which I had listed as "runs, but completely fricked in every way, I will not allow it to leave my property except on a trailer," rent a truck and car carrier from uhaul, drive out to meet me, load the truck onto the trailer, drop it at the O'reilly's next to the Uhaul store and return the truck and trailer, and then spend the evening getting it sort of running before driving it 1000 miles back to LA. Absolute madlad. He made a youtube video of his trip but I can't find the link.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

This is the first time I'm buying a car from a dealership, do i need to fill out a fricken credit application if im buying in cash? I dont want these guys to know or contact my employer and all that...
    Like damn, Ill wire you the money and that's it...

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My dad just drove the car and the salesman to the bank with the car he was buying. I guess they wanted to make sure that he wasnt cancelling the check after the ink dried on the paperwork.

But that was a few years ago

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I had the dealer write an invoice and handed it to the bank. My bank transferred the money.
        My credit rating is lower than a worms belly.

I plan to use a cashier's check to pay in cash.
        I will still see what financing terms they offer. My score is 750 or so, who knows it might be too good to pass up for some reason.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I had the dealer write an invoice and handed it to the bank. My bank transferred the money.
      My credit rating is lower than a worms belly.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Yeah. Not a long distance, but I did that once. Visiting relatives and I saw a nice boattail Riviera, sitting near the Rock 'n Roll hall of fame. Flew back out, put on some cheap walmart tires, changed a few headlights and a battery and got the hell out of there. It was in pretty decent shape. I was 22, with no insurance, plates or inspection sticker and an uncertain title (OH laws are different) Stayed off the turnpike and hauled ass at night, 450 miles. I DID put my Mustang's licence plate on it, because PA State Cops aren't people to frick with.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>find extremely cheap new edge GT in chicago
    >have friend that lives there go check it out for me
    >take the train from KC to chicago
    >take the metro from chicago out to the suburbs
    >walk the rest of the way to guys house
    >get there and start the car up
    >immediately hear an engine noise that wasn't present the other day when my friend was there
    >call friend
    >even his wife can immediately hear the noise since he put me on speaker
    >nope.jpg my way out of there
    >go to hotel
    >buy train ticket home
    >start browsing fb market since I'm already here to buy a car
    >find a cheap 330CI
    >end up spending the majority of the next day waiting for the guy to get off work
    >end up hanging out with his buddy half the day who ended up showing me the car
    >buy car and drive home

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Forgot pic.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/yOdYcku.jpeg

Forgot pic.

Moral of story: never be afraid to walk away.
      I just can't turn it into a multiple day adventure. I'm flying out on saturday and have to be back home for work on Monday!

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Just call in sick on Monday.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Moral of story: never be afraid to walk away.
        Yeah, the guy with the Mustang even tried to call me after I left to offer to sell it to me for less. I told him what's the point if it doesn't make it home. I had that 330CI for 30k miles and sold it for a profit, now I have a Cobra instead of a GT so it all worked out.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous
  11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I used to travel a lot for work, I'm 6'4" and I really hate trying to fit in an airplane so what I'd do is I'd buy a two way refundable plane ticket to my work location, get reimbursed from my company, then cancel the return leg and use the company money to buy a shitbox ford piggemup to drive home. I stopped doing it when I got stuck in eastern Montana over the weekend rerunning rotted out brake lines and was late to work Monday morning after driving over Sunday night

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I flew from Virginia to Florida years ago to pick up a gen1 CTS-V, one-way ticket, then drove back. Went well

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i considered renting a car and dropping it off and then walking to the dealer but then i found one local to buy that wasnt online. id still do it, either fly or drive. but i personally wouldn't do it if it was a beater. i just cant really afford to get stranded

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>fly east a few hours to buy an old jdm sports car shitbox in the desert
    >seller picks me up at the airport and drives me to his house
    >haggleablity = gone, seller knows he's got me by the balls
    >buy at listed price, start driving back
    >driving new to me sporty car through the desert with all the windows down and local rock on the FM radio as the sun set became a forever memory
    >drive the next two days through the hottest part of the summer in the desert without AC
    >sleep in shitty hotels to save money
    >almost get heat stroke, buy ICEEs just to survive and fill a cooler with iced teas, almost overheat going through some mountains
    >phone overheating just by being in the shade on the seat next to me, have to navigate old school with highway signs
    >still one of my fondest memories
    Should take better pics next time

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Damn, even your camera was having a heat stroke.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Damn this is making me feel like I should take a scenic route back from Portland to SF. Like one along the coast. Could be one of my fondest memories.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

sounds like a pleasant drive

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Flew Hobart to Sydney to buy my NA Mx-5. Drove home which included an overnight ferry. It's about 1100km as the crow flies.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

when I was 20, i took a grayhound to washington dc to buy a primo Lincoln Mark 7. only thing i had on me was my cloths, a cd player, and $2500 in cash.
    fricking boomer couldnt find the title, i had to get a shitty hotel room in fricking nig infested dc, then go with him to the dmv the next day to get the paperwork done.
    drove the car back 1100 miles with no plates and only $80 left for gas.
    another time I flew out to oregon to look at a clean 180. i was going to test drive it, and fly back, and then pay a guy to transport it. the car had too many issues for the asking price, so just wasted my weekend. flight was free, and the strip bars in portland are fricking awesome. it was a good trip.
    my buddy recently picked up a 7 series from arizona, paid to get it transported. car was placed backwards on the trailer.
    the roof spoiler, 2 of the window rain deflectors, and both mirror covers got torn off due to the wind. also damaged the front lip cause the car was lowered. he's been fighting the moving company for 2 months now trying to get them to pay for damages.
    another friend paid a moving company to move a racing car, moronic mover left it idling, the radiator fan was on a manual switch. car overheated and cracked the head on a $40k build. he never got a refund. transport company was owned by criminals.
    next time im going to fly one way with all my tools, and rent a uhaul to transport it back myself.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

moral of the story: transport it yourself or drive it. the pajeets will frick something up.

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

man this thread kinda reminded me how i once nearly "bought" a headache.(never made real plans to go out to the car since it was rona times and travel between borders was limited)
    >Be me in uni in netherlands
    >Looking for fun/project car
    >Find this rx8 in germany about 4 hours away(im into rx8s)
    >Its 2k in ugly teal or cyan colour, veilside rep bumpers. high power swap + low power engine as parts
    >Dont remember the advert entirely but immobilizer issue.
    >Send it to mate
    >He is like "lets drive there, immobilizer shouldnt be too hard to tackle and drive home."
    >Never went past this convo
    So many red flags I chose to ignore.
    Still love rx8s

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *