Have you ever had a mechanic attempt to scam/been scammed at an auto shop?

Have you ever had a mechanic attempt to scam/been scammed at an auto shop?

CRIME Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

i am a mechanic and if by scam you mean just doing the bare minimum then i scam people on a daily basis. its a miserable shitty job that doesnt pay enough and 99% of people are morons who have no idea about vehicles and will never check if the bearing inside their brake rotor had grease applied properly or not

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

never understood that rhetoric.
      mechanics I know are all making $40+ an hour.
      sirr it's a dirty job, but you are definitely not poor.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

Spoken like a minimum wagie.

• 4 months ago
          Anonymous

this
          >houses have doubled in since the beginning of Covid
          >Cars have inflated like 30%~40% since the beginning of covid
          >hoe flation is out of control
          >Cars are getting harder and take longer than ever to fix
          We need all these fricking government workers who provide little to no benefit to the economy to be laid off. That would fix a lot of these inflation issues fast.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

$40 an hour is the new $20 an hour because of corporate greedflation

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

This is why there are so many one man shops being run out of their homes. And these guys do a better job than the corner store shops.

2. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

got scammed by the first mechanic I trusted my bike with so I had to learn to wrench myself to never set foot in one again, one day I might become the first honest motorcycle mechanic in my area

3. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Attempted to yes. Went in to a Toyota dealership to get my troony flushed and filter replaced and when I was picking up the car they offered to replace my valve cover gaskets for $800 NOT including labor, which they estimated to be 6 hours minimum
    I laughed in their face and told them I've done the job before, and I know for a fact it's about $100 in gaskets and 2 hours if you're working at a snails pace

4. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes, my mechanic told me to get a project motorcycle. I haven't touched it since December because I can't motivate myself.
    >I am my mechanic

5. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah he said he'd give me a discount if I sent a picture of my bunghole but after I sent it I learned he got fired a week prior! wtf

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

what the
      FRICK

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

first time here?

6. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Only once when I took it in for an oil pan gasket, dude was late and the gasket was totally shredded and spraying oil all over the exhaust. The shop mysteriously shut down after that.

7. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah. Getting charged double for fixing the same issue that popped up again.
    Whatever, they determined that it was in fact a different part that needed replacement.

8. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Car wizard that fat bald kunt scammed me into doing my whole engine whereas the problem lay with my ignition wires

9. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

I got touched by meineke.

I didn't know anything about cars at the time.
    My engine would go through a bottle of oil every day to and from work. So I took it to meineke and they said all I needed to do was give them 1 grand to pay for a new timing belt and water pump. My engine blew on the drive home from their shop.

I should've murdered every employee in that store. Instead I went to automotive trade school. I've built 3 engines so far for fun. A couple rear diffs and about 120 transmissions. I treat moron customers with care so they never get robbed like I did.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

>I treat moron customers with care so they never get robbed like I did.
      Based.

10. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Got recommended a mechanic from some coworkers. Car had a stallimg issie. moron told me it was my battery and completely replaced it. Still stalling, couldnt find the issue. Ended up taking it to gfs neighbor and he figured it out within a day

11. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yeah. Back in the 00s my mom borrowed my car to drive across the state and ended up hitting a deer. Car was pretty fricked up. bumper, hood and front windshield needed to be replaced.
    My dad "knew a guy" who did the work. Honestly was very well done considering how cheap it was.
    Got into an accident years later and airbag didn't deploy. Found out it was gone and put my money on those homosexuals taking it.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

they didn't take it. They just never replaced it since the deer accident.

12. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Yes.
    >buy 4 tires
    >take pictures of their date
    >take it to the shop so they can install them
    >get the car back
    >check the dates, they're 2 year older
    >go to them and tell them wtf happened
    >"we don't know what you're talking about"
    >show them picture
    >"oh sorry sorry"
    I'm 100% sure they did it on purpose.

13. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Is there a definite way to tell if youre in a sleazy shop? I'm paranoid every mechanic is out to rob me.

14. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Long time ago when I was a small wrenchlet I had my car welded for around 500 dollars expecting it to be looking all good and finished with bondo and paint.
    Instead they just welded over pieces of metal and painted the lower half of the rockers with shitty black tar.

15. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Why are mechanics so universally untrusted and suspicious?

Everyone knows you cant trust a mechanic either in words or deeds

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

For every trustworthy old man mechanic shop that won't bullshit you but will charge high prices and usually have a waiting list there's 50 chain shops or cheap lube/tire shops that will frick your shit and still charge you $100/hr labor for the privilege despite paying fast food wages and expecting the same speed.

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

If you’re going to a mechanic it’s probably because a car is a black box to you, so you have to rely on heuristics to try to match what the mechanic says with what you think “sounds right” with little to no evidence. This gap leaves shady mechanics room to scam you and leaves room for you to suspect honest mechanics because you just don’t know better.

Mechanics are going to want to use new OEM parts so they don’t have to deal with customer complaints. This can lead to the feeling that the repair cost more than it should even with an honest mechanic. (Yaw sensor for BMW: new $800. I got one off eBay for $44. So $1000+ repair at a shop vs unhooking battery, 4 bolts to remove the seat, unclip wiring, remove door sill trim, pull back carpet, 2 bolts and unclip, then $44 used part and put everything back together. Makes the honest repair sound like a scam, doesn’t it?)

Mechanic might suggest routine maintenance that doesn’t quite need to be done yet but doesn’t hurt to get done while he’s in there. This could cause a mismatch if you got a second opinion from someone who thinks the job is unnecessary.

People also often think that repair costs should track with the cost of their car.
      That $1000 yaw sensor replacement *sounds* like more of a scam on a $3000 328i beater than a $30,000 Z3 3.0i Coupe, yet it doesn’t cost any less.

Then you have the fact that some mechanics just aren’t that skilled, and even skilled ones can get a diagnosis wrong, but they’re not going to eat the cost of chasing down your problem, so you may end up with a car that isn’t fixed even after they’ve done their “repair” and them needing more money to continue. Sounds like a scam but it’s just the luck of the draw.

So, lot of room for a scammer to operate and even an honest mechanic can feel like one due to the expense.

• 4 months ago
        Anonymous

I used to cut keys for a while, the amount of times I got complaints from 98-02 Honda Accord owners that their key had a transponder chip in it and was going to cost $40 instead of $2 because "it's just an old cheap car!" was ridiculous. Especially considering we were one of the cheapest places around for transponder keys to begin with, that same key from the dealer cut and programmed would have been twice that at least. Yeah, we could just cut one without the chip in it for $2, but it's not gonna start the car, only unlock the door. Cars with "modern" tech are old now.

16. 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Tire kingdom tried to scam my mom three times.
    >bring car in for tires
    >tell her she needs a new drive shaft
    >ask them if they mean cv axles
    >advisor says no it needs a drive shaft
    >car is fwd
    2nd time
    >she brings car in for brakes
    >they tell her she needs an a/c compressor
    >a/c worked on the way there
    >refuse
    >go home
    >a/c actually isn't working
    >clutch isn't engaging
    >check a/c clutch relay
    >the wienersuckers bent one of the tabs on the relay so it doesn't make a connection
    3rd time
    >mom brings fairly new car in one tire
    >says she needs struts
    >car only has 20k miles on it
    >rides perfect
    >no oil leaks from the struts

• 4 months ago
      Anonymous

>get scammed 3 times
      >still go there
      what is your moms IQ
      i'm worried about her

17. 4 months ago
    s10fag

Once had a gay sell me the remnants of his daddys shop for 5 grand. Probably 25 cars in varying condition, couple of rolling toolboxes, home made equipment. Kept making excuses that i had to do shit a certain way and never provided access to the land. Got hooked on oxy after a surgery and since i hadn't touched any of it in a decade he decided to sell it to someone else. Sued and got the paperwork, he got to watch all his sentimental bullshit get cubed. He made death threats and found out thats also a crime. Almost feel bad for him, even an animal knows not to stick its nose where it hurts twice. Heard hes getting foreclosed on but never seen the place hit the market.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *