Help me make my v8 actually sound like a v8

Tl;dr got my first actually nice modern muscle car but it sounds like a nice muscle car muffled by ass. And by that I mean it's far far too quiet. I'm used to straight piped 90s shitboxes so the louder the better. That said I don't want to frick this car too hard, nicest one I've ever owned. Real well taken care of, 2 previous owners, 90k miles, only a handful of tiny paint flaws. Ontop of that I live in IL so any car 1996 or newer needs to be able to pass emissions. Any catback or axle back should be good though.

I considered just doing a muffler delete for 200 bucks but eh. I am finding a lot of good options for 300, 350. I'd rather not shell out for a full exhaust system yet.

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Anus Alien Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I want my car to sound good and be louder
    >but I don't want to delete the muffler
    >and I don't want to spend proper money on a good exhaust system
    >and it has to pass e-tests

>help me do this thing that isn't possible

stop being poor homie, spend the $800 on a nice Magnaflow or Borla and enjoy you car.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

May be going to college for one more year so while I'm not hurting to the point where I can't do any exhaust work at all, I'd best save where I can within reason.

You can always throw on a set of glasspack mufflers. The mufflers themselves are cheap, having a shop cut the stock ones off and weld the glasspacks on their place won’t be awful either. I think it would be a step in the right direction

I've been thinking maybe some Borla mufflers or Pype Bomb mufflers would be decent for now. Get a full compatible setup in a year and a half or so.

Exhausts have gotten better from the factory since the olden days. Just listen to a modern GT completely stock.

Suppose. I didn't think it was worth getting a newer mustang tbh. Test drove a 2012 before I picked up this 08. Fast as frick sure but the extra weight plus not many chances to speed (one of the worst test drives of my life) made me feel meh about it. At least I saved a few thousand, minimum. I'm thinking I'll drive this for a few years then maybe get a 2015 GT, maybe. Or maybe I'll drop a Coyote in it. I dunno. I really love the body style I have now, the dash and all. 2012 felt kinda cramped and didn't look as cool to me. Do wish I had that 410hp+ though. One day...

My brain jumping around aside I didn't think the exhaust was impressive on the 2012 either. Still very quiet.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>college kid
        >V8 Mustang

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>Or maybe I'll drop a Coyote in it
        Doubt that. Not worth the hassle to make it fit because it's ridiculously large for the displacement, and they're fairly pricey at the junkyard. Literally easier to fit a big block in many cases.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You can always throw on a set of glasspack mufflers. The mufflers themselves are cheap, having a shop cut the stock ones off and weld the glasspacks on their place won’t be awful either. I think it would be a step in the right direction

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Exhausts have gotten better from the factory since the olden days. Just listen to a modern GT completely stock.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

That’s one thing a lot of car manufacturers have gotten right. Adding active exhaust from the factory is the best of both worlds, you get quiet, unobtrusive exhaust when just tootling around town or cruising on the highway but get all the benefits of an aftermarket system when you stand on it.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mustangs always sound like shit
    Nothing you can do
    The louder you make it the worse it sounds

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I dunno, loved the way the few sn95s I had sounded.

https://i.imgur.com/qPhODsc.jpeg

>college kid
      >V8 Mustang

I don't really spend my money on anything else for fun. Buy 5 dollar videogames when I feel the need, get real cheap clothes, cook all my own food.
      Sure its not the smartest decision but I think I'd want to kill myself if I bought a civic. Never owned anything that wasn't a v8 and manual and I dont intend to any time soon.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

how tf do you afford college and a gas guzzling car

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

I work part time making 20 an hour, didn't go right to college after high school so I had time to save up a little and dick around a bit with cars and a few motorcycles. Me and my fiancée split (most) costs.

I've actually been doing surprisingly well on gas. And by that I mean averaging 22-23mpg most of the time. Hasn't been too bad. I make it kind of a game to see how fuel efficient I can be when I'm not speeding, now that I have a dash that actually tells me in real time. It's pretty neat.
          Much better than a gutted 90s camaro.

Muffler delete and forget about it. Cheap and effective without being too loud. You may have drone on the highway though.

I keep reading even with a ton of exhaust work the insulation is so good it doesn't change too much in the cabin sound wise, or rather volume wise. So drone isn't preferred but, meh. I think I might do that. Would hurt more to spend 800+ now than it would in a year's time. At the same time I feel like a moronic dick just doing a muffler delete knowing it doesn't even give me 3 hp. Maybe that's just my autism.

https://i.imgur.com/cFjodVg.jpeg

>Or maybe I'll drop a Coyote in it
          Doubt that. Not worth the hassle to make it fit because it's ridiculously large for the displacement, and they're fairly pricey at the junkyard. Literally easier to fit a big block in many cases.

That's kind of a shame. Always wondered why it costs 10k+ for a swap. Maybe I'll just supercharge it if I keep it all things considered.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Stupid homosexual. V8 mustangs always sound good. Go clean your butt plug, camaro twink.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Muffler delete and forget about it. Cheap and effective without being too loud. You may have drone on the highway though.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a full catback system (headers too if you can afford it) from MagnaFlow, Borla or Flowmaster and forget it. Spend the money and do it right or it’ll always bother you. Trust me.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get the h pipe

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>poorgay whataboutism mental gymnastics for a fricking exhaust

Either put headers on it or leave it stock.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

In walking my dog over the years I've noticed things. One is exhaust note. From best to worst:
    1. An Italian exotic (not Maserati)
    2. Hemi Challenger or Charger
    3. A GM coupe with a V8.
    4. Ford Mustang GT.

Not sure why but most sound shrill and generally like shit.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

first off own property and just let the dog out to be a dog, walking the dog is gay unless you want attention from women.
      second street cars always sound gay, go to a race track and listen to cars that aren't just loud for the sake of being loud. even the 4 cyl hondas sound cool when they're approaching 10k rpm.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>An Italian exotic
      You think a Mustang sound shrill compared to a Ferrari? GTFO.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Found a set of used slp loudmouths an hour away for 175, might pick these up today and call it a day. Wonder if he'd do 150. Seems they're real lightly used. Either way half price is a good deal.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Try it out. I have learned that each motor sounds best with different mufflers.
      Worst option is removing all of them/straight pipe, then it's chinese mufflers=random mufflers, then it's mufflers designed for your engine.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Fair enough. The guy I'm meeting in a couple hours said his son tried out 3 sets before deciding these sounded best on his Bullitt. Hopefully I don't end up doing the same.

Had ones like these from flowmaster, completely insufferable droning. I'd do some research or you might be buying a second time. I picked up pretty cheap no name mbrp from American muscle that were loud but didn't drone too much on the highway back when I had one.

The mustang has so much insulation compared to what I'm used to I really doubt it'll be an issue... but you may be right. God I hope not though. Worst case scenario I'm going to keep the stock setup on hand. Can always go back if it's that terrible. At this point I think I'd take some droning over what the hell I can't even hear my engine.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Had ones like these from flowmaster, completely insufferable droning. I'd do some research or you might be buying a second time. I picked up pretty cheap no name mbrp from American muscle that were loud but didn't drone too much on the highway back when I had one.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You can't make a DOHC V8 sound like a real muscle car. The only way you're getting that noise is by swapping in a pushrod like a 302 SBF.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Good thing it's OHC then

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Idk about Mustangs but the tt v6 Raptards sound like shit with an open exhaust, there's no fixing them.
    They're awesome trucks but they'll never sound good.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *