Hey so I have a F-150 with the 10 speed auto. Are there any Ford pros on?

Hey so I have a F-150 with the 10 speed auto. Are there any Ford pros on DA here? I'm getting really weird behavior with mine with a strange delay where it doesn't shift into gear for up to a few seconds until it SLAMS into gear, throwing the entire truck around. There's just no way this is normal. The weird thing is the dealer says there's nothing they can do about it, saying it's just the way the truck drives and basically telling me to pound sand. Weird thing is it's under warranty so shouldn't the dealer want to take on a high dollar job like replacing the transmission? My gut tells me this is a software defect and an update should fix it. What are your experiences with the F-150 transmission?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

One more thing, the problem is intermittent. I definitely would have noticed this shit when I test drove it.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Oil pumps fricked

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The F150 forums are pretty helpful.
    Probably needs a reprogram.
    Find another dealer if it's not too far.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

tpbp

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This. I have a ‘23 f-150 with similar transmission problems. All of the lower gears shift rough (feels like a light shove on downshifts and slightly hangs on upshifts). I haven’t taken it into the dealer yet but I know there is a TSB for this exact issue. They just need to reprogram it, most likely. Hopefully my local dealer isn’t shit like yours and will admit the issue (they don’t like to deal with this shit because they lose money to update software in these trucks while it takes up a bay spot for several hours).

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

these are just a couple of years old, I thought everyone here said if you buy a new car you don't have to worry about mechanical issues

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

As the other anon said, I've heard there's a computer issue with those 10 speed autos. Having it reprogrammed at the dealership to correct the shift points is likely to fix it. Might even be covered by a recall.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Probably needs a quicklearn. every 8,9 or 10 speed I've driven shifts like shit no matter what, but a quicklearn can save you from having to wear a neckbrace whenever you need groceries

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There's a class action lawsuit on those 10 speeds and their shift dynamics.
    You should probably.look into that.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Fix Ot Ragain, Dony.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

weird, my manual transmission shifts just fine.
    zero issues.
    must be a skill issue.

9. 2 months ago
    s10fag

friend had just 70k on his when it would slam in and out of 7th, it started out as a little shudder every now and then but got more consistent and worse, ford just fixed the drum bushing issues in the '24's, waiting to see what they're going to do about the older ones if anything

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The auto in my 08 impala did the same thing when the transmission fluid was dirty. Granted it was 170k miles without a flush but after it worked fine, until a seal leaks and it does when it the fluid gets low.
    That being said a lot of people reported similar issues on the 10speed autos and had them fixed by a dealer flash. You could also use FORScan to force a shift point relearn iirc and that might also fix it.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Weird thing is it's under warranty so shouldn't the dealer want to take on a high dollar job like replacing the transmission?
    >warranty
    >high dollar job
    lmao, the dealer makes no money on warranty work. The manufacturer loses money on warranty jobs.

• 2 months ago
      Sneed

>it's a computer issue
      Have we confirm@tion?

Seconding this

weird, my manual transmission shifts just fine.
      zero issues.
      must be a skill issue.

Based ford allowing mustang manual troonyswap on f150

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Ford has been addressing issues with the 10-speed automatic transmission in some of their vehicles, but it appears that they have not yet been able to fully fix the problems. According to Ford, the shifting issues experienced by some drivers are due to the “adaptive transmission shift strategy,” which is intended to improve shift quality by allowing the car’s computer to learn the transmission’s parameters. However, some drivers have reported ongoing issues even after repairs and reprogramming of the control module. Ford has released several technical service bulletins related to issues with the 10-speed transmission and implemented short-term solutions such as updated clips for the shift cable, replacement of parts in certain models, and performing adaptive learning drive cycles. However, it appears that these solutions have not fully resolved the issues, as drivers continue to report problems with their vehicles.

https://lemonlawexperts.com/fords-new-transmission-proves-far-from-tough/

So it appears that Ford is claiming its a computer problem that can be programmed away; but its debatable if it actually is programming and not a mechanical fault with the transmission that would be more expensive for Ford to repair in a recall.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

This guy summarized it well.

- There is a major class action lawsuit going on right now for these issues.
          - This is in various Fords with the 10-speed, including many V8 Mustangs I've rented.
          - Even in a brand new 2018 Mustang GT, it would have crazy hard jerks from R to D1, transmission whine (forward gears, not straight-cut reverse gear whine) that sounded like a damn supercharger, odd shifts.
          - I think it's likely a physical issue, not just software, and the "relearn" is just a temporary fix Ford is using to get you off their back. Very similar to the 6th gen Camaro's 8-speed "shudder" that was well-known in the Camaro community. GM later switched to a 10-speed (different than Ford's, GM's 10L80 is actually great and never had problems with one I own).

TLDR: don't trust Ford's reprogramming "fix".

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>different than Ford's, GM's 10L80 is actually great and never had problems with one I own
            It's the same transmission, and it was actually designed primarily by Ford in a partnership
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford%E2%80%93GM_10-speed_automatic_transmission
            However, each company manufactures their own version so I assume Ford tried to cut costs somewhere or the team that coded their software did a worse job than GM's team

12. 2 months ago
    Sneed

If I have a first gen Powershift, can I reprogram it using my computer?

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have an 18 f-jaun-shitty with the 10 speed, once in a blue moon it does equivalent of missing a shift, revs up and fricking slams into gear, buts it quite rare. normal shifting isn't particularly rough I think but I also don't really give too much of a frick about a quick shift since I drive it like a dickbag anyway so a quick firm shift is preferable for me. close to 190k on the factory oil too lol.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *