Honest thoughts on paddle shifting?

Honest thoughts on paddle shifting?

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Only ever used them on a 10 speed and it was just annoying. Gears are way too close together to do any meaningful shifting

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

They're pretty useful on a 5-speed auto troony. I Black person rigged some onto an old accord and kicking the trans out of 5th without using throttle kickdown is so convenient. i just wish it would stay in lockup.

>Only ever used them on a 10 speed and it was just annoying. Gears are way too close together to do any meaningful shifting
      10th-g accord?

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Probably the best option for a performance oriented auto. Having to still remove a hand from the wheel just to slap the shifter or even worse, hit buttons on the shifter, never made sense to me. Pointless on commuter cars.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

You will never feel the satisfaction of racking a slapshifter back three times and flying off at 7000 RPM.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I should clarify, I'm talking about the electronic ones that come with that stupid "sport mode", not an actual ratchet shifter.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

This. I wish there was a good GM swap option. I don't mind stick(bought a JKU and a Camaro LT1 with sticks) but in my theoretical awd turbo truck build I want paddle shifting. It's faster and more consistent

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

I like having both options on my challenger
      Can slap the stick if the wheel is upside-down or use a paddle and the stick together (cruising with an arm on the shifter)
      Gear changes on a ZF8 are snappy and satisfying.

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

A meme.
    You drive an automatic, no need to delude yourself.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It's basically just gay larping. Shifting without a clutch feels soulless.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

We're shifting with all the clutches.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Kys

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Used mostly on test drives for the “cool factor”, then never again.

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Seamless shift with paddles is the ultimate evolution of manual shifting

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

The only thing I've ever really driven with them was my ex's Fit. They were useful there for highway merging/passing since it was an underpowered car and needed all the revs it could get, and being able to downshift ahead of time made it a lot more possible to get into gaps between cars in the faster lane.

My truck has a 10 speed and +/- buttons on the shifter, and full manual mode is mostly pointless but if you use them in auto you can pick any maximum gear to limit the transmission to, which is nice when going down long hills, especially when towing.

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

the paddles are just a "suggestion" the transmission almost always ends up shifting automatically if it disagrees with you

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

It may delay the shift littlebit just to make the boyracer happy for his unreliable car

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

From the thumbnail I thought this was an instructional pic on how to use a suppository

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

No clutch pedal = gay shit for women and cripples.

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

video game nonsense

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It’s a fun additional extra

I rate them

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

they should be on the column

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

When it's in something like that Honda in Pic there's a 50/50 chane between it being a .5 second delay shift or a whomping 3 second delay, it sucks but it is nice to have direct control over the slushbox without taking up an extra 3 slots in the shifter gate. In DCT they can be very very fast. Elite teir if pulling both paddles back puts it in neutral, pushing the clutch in when my engine stalled at 95mph saved my life one time it takes a little too long to reach the shifter and move it

15. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

my subaru with cvt has them.
    very cool.

16. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Used them once when I had to drive a rental car on a hilly, very low quality road (basically a logging trail with some gravel on top).
    If I go there again, I think I'd rather just bring a manual, but the paddles were pretty handy in a few spots where letting the gearbox decide might mean just spraying gravel everywhere and losing traction, or stalling because the dumb thing hesitated for a second and too much speed was lost to complete the climb.

17. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

remember when automatics first came out and everyone was like "wow this is fantastic the car knows exactly when I want to change gear" but then someone opened the centre console and it turned out there was a tiny filipino man in there changing the gears for you and sometimes he'd fall asleep so that's why occasionally the car was slower to shift in the evenings

18. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

absolutley useless, my dsg is instant after a tune and I go through the gears so fast it's pointless doing it manually

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

you never need to downshift?

19. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I think this is a picture from the Honda HR-V manual. My wife has one and it made me laugh that they put paddle shifters in it. It's the most gutless, slow piece of shit I've ever driven.

20. 1 week ago
    Greased Geese

every sports car that has paddles is a shame to not be a manual.
    commuters and trucks that have them are gay larp

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

thats it lads, thread is over

21. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Good for track use. Useless for everywhere else.
    You might use it while driving on the streets once or twice for the novelty, but after that you'll just use automatic.

22. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>speed number

23. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Less gay than an auto without them

24. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Better than nothing. My 24 Corolla didn't have an option for a manual so I had to go CVT. With sport mode it can be pretty fun ripping around with them. The CVT shifts fast as hell so it feels tactile. Still doesn't come close to the feeling of a proper standard transmission with a clutch and synchronized gears.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>My 24 Corolla didn't have an option for a manual so I had to go CVT
      bro they still offer them, you bought the wrong trim

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

I got a Corolla Hatchback XSE. They 100% don't come with standards anymore. The only hatchback you're getting in that year with a standard is the GR.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>cvt
      >with fake gears
      That's pointless and slower than just letting a cvt rip at peak torque/peak power.
      People are dumb.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Agreed with this. Paddle shifters are usually meant to help you cope with having a car made for women/cripples, but in a cvt it's something even worse; it's actively made the car worse.

25. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

useful when you want to temporarily downshift to gain acceleration. But that's pretty much it, it's not like it's full manual, the auto system will override if it thinks you're gonna blow up the car

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>, the auto system will override if it thinks you're gonna blow up the car
      And that's a good thing.

26. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Love mine, used them a ton in my ScatPack and use them in my Hellcat. Not because the transmission doesn’t know what to do, but because I like playing around. I’ve driven a Mustang with a 10 speed and there is a lot of shifting up and down with that many ratios on the paddles. My overall take is, as long as there isn’t lag between pulling the paddle and the trans doing something, they’re pretty neat. An old C Class I had the manual mode shifts were like a suggestion to shift gears.

27. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Useful on the track and in street sprints.

28. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

As in the actual paddles or manually shifting an auto troony? I think wheel mounted paddles are really stupid and having the manual shift control on the shifter makes a lot more sense. There's a reason why most race cars use stationary paddles. It's a lot better having your up and down selectors in a static location. Manual auto shifting in general can range from awesome to pretty much useless depending on the vehicle. The paddles on my work van shift up and down almost instantly without hesitation which is definitely not the case for a lot of trannies. Some have so much fricking delay especially on the downshifts that manually shifting is just annoying and you're better off just leaving it in D.

29. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

gay

30. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

They made manual trannies objectively obsolete; their presence in someone's car at a meet now determines whether they're an actual cargay or someone who's stuck 50+ years in the past

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

bump

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

trying way too hard

31. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

For racing I think it depends. If you aren't also allowed to also add autolift and autoblip then I think you’re adding another expensive complicated part that doesn't really make the car faster. If you do have all the magic whizzy stuff then it's a marginal niceity if you need to shift mid-corner. This is more useful in cars from spec series like F4 or SRF3 where you cannot change the gear ratios.

For development classes that do allow it, some the fastest F1000 and P1 cars out there elect to stick with the ol' stick just to keep the car simpler and some of the guys who did add it because they had to have the cool thing now have yet another finicky thing they have to frick with frequently to get working properly. This is a non issue of course if you are a pro team with staff who know what the frick they're doing as opposed to some guy playing with a racecar in his garage.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *