Hot Rodding with a Ford 300

So they're cheap, yeah? I can find these things for under $500. Theoretically what's the cheapest possible hot rod I could built in a budget as a summer car and have on the road in the shortest amount of a time I can drive to and from work that's still fun? The short of it is that sourcing original parts for my restoration project is slow and arduous and I want to get something on the road now to drive that doesn't suck the life out of me while I sort the kinks out of this busted English wheel I purchased which has fricked over the other project I had on my drawing board and a $500-1500 T-bucket with a cheap $100-500 engine seems to be the ticket. Anyone built one? Can one be built for under $5000? under $10,000? I've got the equipment to paint everything myself, bodywork (aside from the English wheel), welding, leatherworking, and custom gaugework.

According to these videos basically bolt on parts and some minimal machining should be able to get me in the realm of 270 hp N/A and 522 hp with forced induction.

>88 hp to 170 hp

>170 hp to 270 hp

>270 hp to 522 up (turbocharged)

I need something soulful to drive. I'm dying here, anons. I'd much rather feel like my car could kill me at any second rather than feeling like the act of driving my work truck is killing me by virtue of existing and being built after the oil crisis.

Ford 300 T-bucket for your consideration:

?si=Tw29tl2OIly79eg3

Also post clean hot rods.

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Ooooor you could spend the same amount of time building a business and use the profits to buy something that’s not an embarrassment.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah like a Tesla Model S that would blow the doors off that rustbucket

• 3 weeks ago
        Greased Geese

Ooooor you could spend the same amount of time building a business and use the profits to buy something that’s not an embarrassment.

samegay moron

• 3 weeks ago
        p

https://i.imgur.com/WklnWq4.jpg

You sound like a little b***h scared to live a little. Sad.
        [...]
        Ironically yeah, I was thinking along theinds of a Mustang T5. Unsure on the rear end right now but probably just whatever I can get for cheap from a pick and pull as either a locked or LSD that's reasonably durable. Supposedly you can still find Ford 9" for pennies. Personally I'm a huge fan of triple Strombergs for the aesthetic more than anything- just has that classic look. Would consider a triple Weber setup if I could get it to work but that's a hell of a lot less cheap than triple strombergs or similar.
        [...]
        I don't mind running premium or super premium. Even with my rough calculations on weight and consumption economy would still surpass my current work truck by more than 25% per week on super premium. Granted, I wanna put all the ethanol proof lines on as a precaution just in case the local stations do something funny but y'know.
        [...]
        Not only are you a samegay but you're moronic and a little b***h. 0/10. Got me to reply tho. Ever consider the fact that I don't care about how fast the car is? Ever consider I just enjoy the feel of an analogue driving experience and the wind in my hair? Ever consider there might be a reason I have two other restoration projects in the works at 30% and 85%? EVs are soulless. I want to smell the gasoline, hear the engine, feel it respond to my every move.

Nah I just value my free time, maximizing my hourly wage and quality time with my family. My recommendation is sound advice but hey enjoy cobbling together your embarrassing embarrassment (if you ever finish it (you won’t))

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

B R E A D
        R
        E
        A
        D
        >they never do

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/4JuvUcT.jpg

bare minimum would be putting a 4barrel/headers on,
      going deeper would be unnatural aspiration and raising the compression or possibly a cam change (I advise against changing the cams on american 6s because going for rpm over low end torque will ruin the engine) unless your plan is to put the b***h in a slingshot dragster or buggy.
      one thing I will mention is you should be able to bolt sbf transmissions to it, which means in a roadster you could get a t5 out of a mustang or whatever truck 5/4 speeds.

Ironically yeah, I was thinking along theinds of a Mustang T5. Unsure on the rear end right now but probably just whatever I can get for cheap from a pick and pull as either a locked or LSD that's reasonably durable. Supposedly you can still find Ford 9" for pennies. Personally I'm a huge fan of triple Strombergs for the aesthetic more than anything- just has that classic look. Would consider a triple Weber setup if I could get it to work but that's a hell of a lot less cheap than triple strombergs or similar.

https://i.imgur.com/jLnQ63f.jpg

if I had a 300 and was hell bent on hotrodding it I would probably just hack a 2x2 350 holley onto the intake and put tube headers on and possibly get a machine shop to deck the block to somewhere around 8.9:1 hoping to keep the ability to run 87.

I don't mind running premium or super premium. Even with my rough calculations on weight and consumption economy would still surpass my current work truck by more than 25% per week on super premium. Granted, I wanna put all the ethanol proof lines on as a precaution just in case the local stations do something funny but y'know.

Yeah like a Tesla Model S that would blow the doors off that rustbucket

Not only are you a samegay but you're moronic and a little b***h. 0/10. Got me to reply tho. Ever consider the fact that I don't care about how fast the car is? Ever consider I just enjoy the feel of an analogue driving experience and the wind in my hair? Ever consider there might be a reason I have two other restoration projects in the works at 30% and 85%? EVs are soulless. I want to smell the gasoline, hear the engine, feel it respond to my every move.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I just enjoy the feel of an analogue
        You enjoy anal, as a taker obviously.
        Typical icetard, but also understandable as the Tesla chads take all the girls, leaving fat, greasy icatards to screw each other

• 3 weeks ago
          Greased Geese

you eat dark meat with your ass get the frick out of here you fricking moron

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I’ve only seen homosexuals drive teslas including both of your dads

2. 3 weeks ago
    Greased Geese

bare minimum would be putting a 4barrel/headers on,
    going deeper would be unnatural aspiration and raising the compression or possibly a cam change (I advise against changing the cams on american 6s because going for rpm over low end torque will ruin the engine) unless your plan is to put the b***h in a slingshot dragster or buggy.
    one thing I will mention is you should be able to bolt sbf transmissions to it, which means in a roadster you could get a t5 out of a mustang or whatever truck 5/4 speeds.

• 3 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

if I had a 300 and was hell bent on hotrodding it I would probably just hack a 2x2 350 holley onto the intake and put tube headers on and possibly get a machine shop to deck the block to somewhere around 8.9:1 hoping to keep the ability to run 87.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>deck the block to somewhere around 8.9:1

https://i.imgur.com/WklnWq4.jpg

[...]
        [...]
        [...]

You don't deck the block on a flathead.
        The head limits the max lift of your valves.
        The higher compression won't do you any good when you make these engines breathe even worse than they already do.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You're right, anon. I'm the OP and I'm an engineman. I'm talking about the Ford 300ci/4.9L OHV which is very much not a flatty, but otherwise yes I would agree with you. I could understand if maybe you got confused because of the picture I posted alongside that post just for flavor.

• 3 weeks ago
          Greased Geese

I'll be honest I don't know how much material there is to play with on the 300 for raising compression or if you're shit out of luck and have to change pistons to get just under 9:1 but it'd be worth mentioning at the machine shop if they can possibly cc it and find out.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The video I linked showed they got 9.95:1 compression in stage 2 modifications after decking head and block using a late model head with the heart shaped combustion chambers, so the ballpark of ~10:1 is possible. I'm not sure how much above 10:1 is possible but 10:1 is plenty for a mild street build. I know personally I would like to go for a slightly different build than theirs by going for for solid lifters, triple unsilenced carbs, and lake headers but otherwise keeping it mostly the same as their build. Hypothetically if I follow the same build more or less but with those upgrades it might free up just enough horsepower to pass that 300 barrier and that would be more than enough for me. Especially in a T-bucket. It would almost be cool to try and ruggedized the design a bit and make it a bit more friendly for bombing down dirt trails and weekend trips but that's neither here nor there and probably clashes with he style

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Prez
    >"Having" a "family"
    >Spends his entire life shitposting on DA
    Didn't know they let delusional schizophrenics have phones in the ward

• 3 weeks ago
      p

Uh I write my last post while taking a shit, this one is while I’m eating a delicious plate of pasta that my gf cooked for me. She in the other room feeding my beautiful offspring.
      I’m the prince of multitasking and you’re hunched over an old dusty chair in your cuckshed spamming refresh with greasy hands. Get your life together ffs

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Pasta makes you lazy and fat. How can you restore the Roman empire if all you do is sit around and eat pasta all day? You disgust me.

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Hot rod has more soul than a Tesla ever will have. The two aren’t even comparable.

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Please choose a different engine. The Ford 300 makes like 250 horsepower crank after tuning. I get that it has some soul but you're going to be very disappointed with all the work you do to still be that slow. There's been a aftermarket cross flow head that's perpetually been one or two years away from production for the past 25 years so don't count on that. An ironically get a 5.4 or 6.8 mod motor out of a junkyard and you'd be better off. They're just as cheap.

• 3 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

I'd rather have a 292y than a mod motor in a hotrod.

B R E A D
      R
      E
      A
      D
      >they never do

i couldnt give a shit what he puts bread on its shit

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'd rather have a 292y than a mod motor in a hotrod.
      [...]
      i couldnt give a shit what he puts bread on its shit

>ford 300
      >““““““hot rod”””””””
      Throw that shit in the trash and get a junkyard 5.7 or 5.3. Ford fricking sucks

You know what? You're absolutely right. I /could/. But this weekend only if I get my ass the next two towns over I can pick up three 300 cores for $50 on the spot. I've rebuilt enough of these I have dreams where I'm working on 300s. The devil you know and all that. I already own a bunch of unreliable Mopars, and a tough as naila engine famed for its industrial uses and stump pulling capabilities would be hard to kill. 250-300hp is plenty in a t-bucket, supercharged could even stretch it to 350-400 probably.

Something about a lightly chopped and channeled traditional style hot rod really just does it for me. Saw one the other weekend and it got me thinking I could get one up and running pretty quick with the knowledge and tools I have. Plus a long hood six sitting way behind the front axle looks slick in a way that's hard to describe until you see a hot rod like the one I saw with a Chevy 250 followed closely by one with a Ford 300. I wish these boomers posted images online and made them more readily accessible or I had a camera while driving.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

pretty fricking car, i bet it rumbles gud

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>250hp
      >with gobs of torks
      >slow in a 2000lbs soaking wet hot rod
      you're moronic.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Anon doesn't watch the video OP posted at all
      >misses the part where the tuned 300 with bolt on parts makes about 300 horsepower
      >300s are stump pulling moron strength industrial powerhouses with giga torque
      >average T-bucket weighs about 1,700lbs

>250hp
      >with gobs of torks
      >slow in a 2000lbs soaking wet hot rod
      you're moronic.

Anon is right, if you aren't having fun with those specs you have brain damage, that's waaaay above the specs you'd expect to find in any of the often loved (by DA and r*ddit) meme cars with more torque than most people know what to do with. Not just that, but it'd be like riding one of those old wooden rollercoasters because you've got all that power and torque in such a lightweight car with primitive brakes and suspension and "safety" that it would feel like the car can and will kill you at every turn.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

"Benchracer" is still the best term to use for most people on the internet, really. Everyone obsesses over specs and numbers, but their actual experience with driving is limited by what they can get their hands on. They either fall in love with an imagined car going by the numbers, or get their hands on something that's better than an econobox and religiously defend it as god's gift to earth, where nothing else can compare and they get salty when you dare disrespect their good experiences with the car.

Lingenfelter has the best philosophy for a good street car. Torque is king for a street engine, so optimize it to get as much torque as you can at the shift point and you're golden.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

There's absolutely nothing wrong with liking and enjoying what you've got. But yeah benchracers are gays.

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>ford 300
    >““““““hot rod”””””””
    Throw that shit in the trash and get a junkyard 5.7 or 5.3. Ford fricking sucks

• 3 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

I didnt beleive it when they said people were "born gay" but you have my apologize cause I believe you now.

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The 300/4.9 only had a (massive) 1 barrel carb through its entire production run until EFI.
    Offenhauser makes a nice 4 barrel intake for it- there was another thread (should still be up) where an anon just finished a 300 build with a 4 barrel intake.
    There are actual "6=8" forums that do everything possible to the 300/4.9.
    It takes effort but having factory gear drive and shaft mounted rockers makes for a pretty robust engine that takes modifications well.

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i like that the whitewalls are on the inside, black just looks neat

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Cheapest bodies on faceberg or craigslist on average?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Cheapest
      It's one thing to get the frame and (most) of the body.
      It's another thing to finish the build.
      Unless you go absolute 100% ratrod and mismatch everything it gets expensive when you try to find a grill or matching headlight mount kind of shit.
      Suspension components get pricey. Luckily there's a lot of documentation on mods, like mustang II suspensions.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you're a big guy look for extended bodies so you have more room and don't have the seating position of a go-kart. Purists won't like it as much, but frick em.

No hood means you can get any grill that looks nice. Headlights in separate buckets can go anywhere with a hole.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If you're a big guy look for extended bodies so you have more room and don't have the seating position of a go-kart. Purists won't like it as much, but frick em.

No hood means you can get any grill that looks nice. Headlights in separate buckets can go anywhere with a hole.

I can roll my own hood and grill and have the tools. My thought was just to get the body shell and build around a radiator

• 3 weeks ago
          Greased Geese

if you just outright don't want to build a whole body you can just put a really wicked bench on the back and say to hell with it

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

In my state I can't legally on the road, no

• 3 weeks ago
            Greased Geese

interesting law, however
            >triple digit wheelies down the interstate

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Ford Model Ts and As are the standard because cheap and common. Fiberglass is fine too if on a budget. Can flip the first build to upgrade as most hotrodders on a budget do

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's funny because until I started looking around I figured model Ts and As with being the vintage they are would have been a lot more expensive than they are but I guess they made so many that they're cheap

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They're very basic so they don't require 500 different components to make them run.
          If I was going to "build" a camry for example just think about getting the chassis and the multiple computers and wiring harnesses needed for all the components from transmission to door locks to function properly.
          In an A or T you can fab the entire wiring harness with a 50 foot roll of 12ga from harbor freight.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I wonder what quality of life modifications could be made to a T or A hot rod to make it more livable for daily driving if any

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Probably a hood and some kind of cover for the tub so you can park it in the rain

10. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I wish i could into a flathead that is cooled by methanol

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Another stupid thought- AMC 4.0 or anything within that AMC-Jeep family of straight sixes... Could they make a good hot rod engine? Unconventional, but just as a cheap and plentiful power like the 300s but probably less available speed parts... Not that I couldn't fabricate a custom intake if needed for either of them, or a lot of parts aside from large iron or steel casts.

I supposed I could crossthread and ask those guys in the other thread but I'm not sure they know

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The problem with the AMC 6-cylinders is people actually like them and tend to stick them back in jeeps, so they're not quite as affordable. You can get decent power from them, but it's harder to just find a pile of them for sale for $500.

• 3 weeks ago
      Greased Geese

could be difficult to find a 2wd stick for it being as they were only in xjs which aren't plentiful anymore.
      I was going to link a video about some bong who built a ratrod or hotrod with the 4.0 that I saw years ago but it's no longer on youtube or I can't find it.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

The good news is the 2wd versions aren't as desirable as the 4wd ones since they aren't easy or cheap to switch over. It can be confused for the AX5, but the really easy way to tell them apart is the AX15 is all aluminum on the exterior while the AX5 has an iron piece between the gears and the shifter.

Other options are a T5, T4, and some older ones that may be more difficult to find.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Honestly if you're doing an I6, just get an old Ford I6. Those things are brick shithouses.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ford 4.9s make gobs of torque off idle, and the AMC 4.0s are more rev happy. Depends on what you want.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *