How am I supposed to learn to drive a manual when I don't know anyone with one and no car dealer will let me test drive one without freaking out ...

How am I supposed to learn to drive a manual when I don't know anyone with one and no car dealer will let me test drive one without freaking out at the first mistake I make?

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

buy an advanced racing wheel with clutch and learn in gran turismo.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Seconding this

But I'd recommend BeamNG.Drive instead, it properly models how transmissions work (mostly).

Used Logitech G27s sets can be had for like $100-$150

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Seconding this

But I'd recommend BeamNG.Drive instead, it properly models how transmissions work (mostly).

american truck simulator + G29 for me.
      the most any video game can do is get you in the habit of using a clutch. it can't actually teach you how it feels when the clutch is engaging and if you need more revs before it stalls

https://i.imgur.com/w1UocT1.jpeg

How am I supposed to learn to drive a manual when I don't know anyone with one and no car dealer will let me test drive one without freaking out at the first mistake I make?

I guess you can check facebook groups / marketplace or something for someone who might let you have a go in their beater for a couple 6-packs

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Seconding this

[...]
      american truck simulator + G29 for me.
      the most any video game can do is get you in the habit of using a clutch. it can't actually teach you how it feels when the clutch is engaging and if you need more revs before it stalls
      [...]
      I guess you can check facebook groups / marketplace or something for someone who might let you have a go in their beater for a couple 6-packs

Beyond fricking moronic advice, the only hard part is the clutch feel and vidya doesn't teach that. have a nice day. Verification not required.

having a father generally avoids you finding yourself in this predicament

OP cannot choose the circumstances of his birth.

https://i.imgur.com/w1UocT1.jpeg

I wrote this years ago for the sticky, never got included. Read it and go practice.
      https://pastebin.com/PE15xFTf

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>I wrote this years ago for the sticky
        It's okay, a little wordy though.
        And there's no reason a commuter needs to know how to heel-toe. I know how to do it but went out of my way creating situations where it helps. For most people it would only help if you are entering a corner too fast, drive something RWD, and have the mental capacity to know to heel-toe and vector your car away from hitting a tree in less than half a second.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I literally only do it to keep the brake lights on while I engine-brake to a stop at a light.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

Why heel-toe though? I've driven manual over 20 years now and have my brake lights on as little as possible. I only hold brakes at lights if there's an incline. I live in the "black belt" of the US and manual is rare as shit, but still nobody ever hits me because they have eyes.
            If you want to heel-toe, do it not around traffic at least because this is something you can frick up and kill people with.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I've been driving standard for 12 years and have no idea what that gay shit is
            Just press the clutch all the way and release it all the way so you don't wear it out
            Not rocket science

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

>Just press the clutch all the way and release it all the way so you don't wear it out
            Yes. Heel-toe is a downshift method that lets you brake later in corners and save a few milliseconds around a track. I street race, brake boost, do burnouts, etc, but heel-toe has no place on the street unless it's to save your ass entering a corner too fast. There's too much room for error, have you never had a shoe get caught under a pedal? I have.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I literally only do it to keep the brake lights on while I engine-brake to a stop at a light.

>Heel & toeing from a standstill when the handbrake exists

you're psychopaths

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

You shouldn't heel toe or use the handbrake, ever, unless you're on a track and know what you're doing. If you want to drift on the street, 99% chance your car does it better and safer with a flick and a mash of the throttle. I do not see the need to use a handbrake for anything other than parking and I love drifting.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Who said anything about drifting

I specificly called this out in like the next sentence, if you have to drive a car with a foot parking brake, or just a worn out parking brake you're fricked.
            [...]
            I am terrified of being rear ended due to knowing 2 people who had horrible whiplash injuries.

>foot parking brake
            ???

>worn out parking brake you're fricked
            Yeah I would be, where I live our uphill inclines are so steep and cars have so little torque from idle you are 100% not pulling away from a standstill without rolling back, unless you're an old French rally driver.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Sometimes the parking brake is a 4th foot pedal to the left of the clutch, and uses an awkwardly placed latch release handle that is usually placed kind next to the hood release. I don't love the idea of reaching down to grab it just as I'm heading into an intersection.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I specificly called this out in like the next sentence, if you have to drive a car with a foot parking brake, or just a worn out parking brake you're fricked.

Why heel-toe though? I've driven manual over 20 years now and have my brake lights on as little as possible. I only hold brakes at lights if there's an incline. I live in the "black belt" of the US and manual is rare as shit, but still nobody ever hits me because they have eyes.
            If you want to heel-toe, do it not around traffic at least because this is something you can frick up and kill people with.

I am terrified of being rear ended due to knowing 2 people who had horrible whiplash injuries.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

>I am terrified of being rear ended due to knowing 2 people who had horrible whiplash injuries.
            Then just hold the brake when you're slowing-down and possibly downshifting. It's a lot safer than heel-toeing in a straight line which is weird to do anyway.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That is exactly what I am doing, just lightly pressing the brake while stabbing the gas as needed for revmatching. I don't get why you're freaking out about it.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

Well, that kinda sounds like normal downshifting to a red light, not heel-toeing. If you're using your right foot for both throttle and brake when slowing to a light then you're just making the situation more dangerous to prove yourself to yourself.
            It's really easy, shift to neutral and hold the brake, everyone behind you will see you're on the brake and you'll slow down safely.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

In 12 years of driving, I can count on one hand the number of times my foot slipped off of the brake pedal, and has NEVER been caught underneath it. As my ankles age, I do find myself braking in neutral more, but if I expect the light to turn green before I stop I'll run down the gears. Maybe your pedal setup/shoe size combo is wildly different from mine, I just cannot seriously take the "safety issue" seriously other than telling newbies not to try it for a few months.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

Okay, I've been driving manual for 20 years now. You're trying to make things more dangerous by using a technique in a context it was not made for and are arguing it's safer because drivers behind can see your brake lights more than just downshifting.
            You could just shift to neutral and hold the brake like most manual drivers, but you want to prove yourself to yourself for doing a technique made for entering corners later while claiming it makes it safer because brake lights.
            Don't fricking lie to me, I learned heel-toe on the street as a kid, too. But using it in that context makes it more dangerous, and you're using safety as justification.
            Just say you want to learn how to do it, that's fine, but doing it in traffic just to slow down for a light is more dangerous.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Watn to learn
            homie it's been 12 years I think I'm past the learning and am now just in the "doing". It does not require braking hard or that much extra foot movement, and my pedals are close enough that there is pretty much no possible way to get it stuck underneath them or anything like that.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

Even if you know how to do it, there's more risk in heel-toeing to stop at a light than neutral and brake or downshift+brake to a stop.
            I'm glad you know how to do it, amazing, but it's not the thing to do coming to a red light and it does increase the risk that you'll kill someone.
            You can downshift every gear and rev match perfectly to a red light without ever needing to heel-toe, I do this every day.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You can, but then you're on and off the brakes which triggers my autism for no particular reason.

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

Well that's fine as long as you admit it. I'm autistic about braking as little as possible, but I assume that other drivers can see me even without brake lights.
            But, uh, the most-common technique I mentioned (shift to neutral and brake to a stop), which almost everyone uses, has your brake light on the whole time.
            Just heel-toe when no one else is around, even a small increase in risk is an increase in risk and I never want to end up having killed someone's kid because I was using super racing techniques on the street.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>there's more risk in heel-toeing to stop at a light than neutral and brake or downshift+brake to a stop.
            ???

>but it's not the thing to do coming to a red light and it does increase the risk that you'll kill someone.

how the frick is there any risk? you have more control than if you were to be coasting in neutral as it keeps the drivetrain engaged with the engine. rev matching downshifts in this case is just to save synchros anyway

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Rev matching doesn't save synchronizers at all, rev matching reduces clutch wear. Double clutching saves synchronizers. Learn how a transmission works.

Well that's fine as long as you admit it. I'm autistic about braking as little as possible, but I assume that other drivers can see me even without brake lights.
            But, uh, the most-common technique I mentioned (shift to neutral and brake to a stop), which almost everyone uses, has your brake light on the whole time.
            Just heel-toe when no one else is around, even a small increase in risk is an increase in risk and I never want to end up having killed someone's kid because I was using super racing techniques on the street.

I don't consider it a racing technique, just a smoothness technique.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>rev matching reduces clutch wear
            prove it

>Double clutching
            what

• 4 weeks ago
            Panda5

>rev matching downshifts in this case is just to save synchros anyway
            Or, again, you could just shift to neutral and brake like everyone else. That's what saves synchros. I engine brake every day, because I think it's cool, but I don't pretend it makes things safer.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Watn to learn
            homie it's been 12 years I think I'm past the learning and am now just in the "doing". It does not require braking hard or that much extra foot movement, and my pedals are close enough that there is pretty much no possible way to get it stuck underneath them or anything like that.

Also
            >Arguing that it's safer
            Than just engine braking, sure, but I again specificly called it a meme/advanced technique in the guide for a reason.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Thank you dude, YouTube videos never explain enough, this is much more clear

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>the only hard part is the clutch feel and vidya doesn't teach that.
        i find most normies have the biggest difficulty with the "theory" part behind manuals, they have no clue what is going on mechanically

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you don't live in the middle of nowhere, there's usually driving schools around that will teach manual.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

$400+ tip

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If they let you test drive a manual then it's their fault. If anything is damaged it's just a write off. Better for the dealer than selling it actually

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just let the clutch out slowly without adding gas
    Do this on a flat parking lot or whatever
    Do it over and over until you figure out how to add gas
    Then you can start practicing going uphill

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's how my grandma taught me nearly 12 ago and that's how I'm teaching my sister now. I forget to tell her to let off the throttle during upshifts so she's already chirped tires in 2nd.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>tfw parents are 74 and both still drive manual
    I frickin' lucked-out on this one.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Kek my grandpa taught me to drive stick when I was 13 and 14 with his '32 Chevy
      The 90s were wild

• 4 weeks ago
        Panda5

The 90's were wild, we didn't know how good we had it.
        Both of my parents were military jet pilots, hence why they drive manuals at 74. They taught me manual when I was 14 and I've only ever driven manual. Thanks mom and dad.

Just let the clutch out slowly without adding gas
        Do this on a flat parking lot or whatever
        Do it over and over until you figure out how to add gas
        Then you can start practicing going uphill

This is the best advice for learning manual.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Based old folks
          The government actually did a good thing last summer, for once
          They changed the way music "listens" were rated, they nixed the bots watching YouTube vids counting as watches
          That's why you hear more 90s music on the radio now

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>That's why you hear more 90s music on the radio now
            No shit? I've been hearing 90s stuff nonstop on country radio stations for the last few months and couldn't figure out why.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>That's why you hear more 90s music on the radio now
            That's because '90s hits are considered "classics" now, dummy. In another decade, you'll be hearing them on the oldies stations due to channel drift. Even '00s music are starting to become part of the classics rotation.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Crosspost here's some shit about my grandpa and his 32 Chevy:

[...]

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You know somebody who knows how to drive manual though. Buy one, ask to learn.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

having a father generally avoids you finding yourself in this predicament

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Why are zoomers such pussies
    I bought a manual and drove it that's how I learned

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I got my license with a manual 10 years ago and never touched that shit again. Unless you're an enthusiast or want an extra car for fricking around with I don't know why you'd want to risk fricking up the clutch and stalling on the road. Sometimes I miss playing with the stick but I definitely don't miss having more work to do when I'm exhausted and on my 50 fricking minute drive home after work

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Good. Only reason I still drive manual is because I work night shifts so there's very little traffic when I'm out, and on my nights off I'm obviously up all night so I can drive in peace.

If I had to drive during the day I'd either quit driving entirely or immediately get an automatic.

>have to navigate third world country-tier traffic squeezing past buses, trucks, while avoiding oncoming traffic with only inches to spare, and simultaneously looking out for suicidal moronic cyclists and indians on scooters who are 15 hours into their pizza delivery job.

Then you finally come to a stop at a red light on a fricking 20 degree uphill and some stupid c**t pulls up two feet behind your rear bumper, and youre in an eco shitbox with no torque below 3k rpm.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Youtube tutorials and do it in a chair for physical practice. It's an arcane technology and you don't really need to know it. I only learned in case I need to commandeer a vehicle and it's manual.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just buy a moped holy shit

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Stop being a pussy, buy a stick shift and learn as you go. That's what I did.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Where you live? Someone here with a manual probably lives near you.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I tried teaching myself by watching some youtube videos then hiring a manual off uber carshare which was a traumatising experience.
    Then I just took a paid lesson and then got my mum to take me to an empty shopping centre carpark to drive around for a few hours until I go it.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I think people are missing the point in this thread.
    You can certainly learn manual pretty fast, but there's no way you can go from YouTube videos to perfect driving the first time you step into a car on a dealership test drive. It's just not possible.
    You can just abandon the test drive altogether. Make the salesman do it. Don't buy an expensive (used) first manual car, so if it's a piece of junk, it doesn't matter too much.
    If you're talking about a new car this whole time, just test the auto version.

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>How am I supposed to learn to drive a manual when I don't know anyone with one
    The point is that you don't. Not knowing anybody who has one should be a major clue in how relevant learning to drive manual is today. It'd be like trying to learn sword-fighting skills while living in Chicago or Detroit.

Realistically, though, it's really not that hard to learn how to drive with a manual transmission. You can buy a shitbox and watch a 5min video on YT. You'll pick it up easily if you're not moronic. Alternatively, sign up for motorcycle riding lessons. You'll learn on a bike and much of the fundamentals of operating a motorcycle sequential transmission translates back to car manuals. Not that you'd really care since motorcycles are a world more fun than driving a manual shitbox.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just buy a motorcycle for the experience if you want to change gears manually.

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just buy one?
    Abusing the clutch a little isn't gonna break the car. That said, have someone who knows what they are doing teach you. I see way too many people who supposedly know how to drive manual drive like complete morons.

Important thing is, when starting the car, to try and keep the RPM low, which will reduce wear on the clutch. But you can start off with a highish RPM and work your way down as you get used to it.

I was able to drive without stalling in 2 weeks or so, but it took about a year for me to actually get decent at it. No school or borrowed car is gonna get you that much experience.

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

how did you pass your drivers test?

21. 4 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

First time I ever drove a manual I was alone in the car and had no help and didn’t even watch any video before hand and it went fine
    Stalled it a bunch of times but within an hour I was good to go

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *