How come Americans were able to sell such ugly and cheaply made cars to their fellow countrymen in the seventies and eighties?

How come Americans were able to sell such ugly and cheaply made cars to their fellow countrymen in the seventies and eighties?

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

BIG
    BURGER
    BOATS
    i think it looks great, especially when you see what's on offer now. and comfy too.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Big
      Booty
      Bitches
      I think they look great, especially when you see what's on offer now. and comfy too.

?si=ZUZe1IKCo-edOafc

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

and the cigarette lighter doesn't work

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

great crooozin tunes from this movie.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
      >Hit it

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>le american car is.. LE BAD
    The final redpill is if it has a V8 or I6 that is longitudinally mounted powering the rear wheels it's better than probably 98% of euroturd shitboxes of the time.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Why did you feel the need to specify a longitudinal engine powering the rear wheels? Is there a transverse V8 RWD land yacht I should avoid?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I was trying to word it in such a way that I could still include inline-6's while attempting to filter out all those shitbox economy cars but I for some reason I misremembered and though the Pinto was transversely mounted.
        I couldn't say body on frame since it'd filter out chrysler's post 60's big sedans.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

was kinda surprised to learn that after 1960 they made everything except the imperial unibody. i see a 67 plymouth fury for sale, would love a big v8 boat with a manual. unibody isn't really a deal breaker for me but i always thought those barges were all bof. there's an 80s v8 toyota crown with fender mirrors on carfromjapan going for about 12k usd. kinda tempting since it has a 1uz and is the last gen crown that was bof. also would love to manual swap that too.

• 2 months ago
            Dracula

Buy an Imperial.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Chrysler kinda went there own way...they weren't just unibodies, they had weird torsion-spring setup on the front suspension, that nobody else used. They actually worked pretty well. If I remember right, you also had to remove the wheel lugs, on the left side of the car, by turning them CLOCKWISE, but not the right side.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

No, but there are transverse V8 FWD land yachts you should avoid (late model 4.6 Continentals, later Northstar Cadillacs, etc) and also longitudinal V8 FWD land yachts that are fricking sick (first through third and especially first gen Toronados).

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

better at what though?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I have both; US cars are better.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

that mark v looks like its returning to earth

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Only on the outside. It's a rolling restoration.

baby duck syndrome

No. US cars don't have vacuum door locks that will keep the car running if they develop a leak, the coolant and heater system is a God-awful design, and the factory keys on American cars aren't in a frail plastic housing.

Those are issues that are abject design flaws.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

baby duck syndrome

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>US cars are better.
          Not even americans believe that, everyone knows that euros are superior, but not everyone are ready to admit it.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because they supplied the local population with JOBS

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Pretty much this
      They were bailed out in 08 and are already failing again, all we can do "okay" is trucks and even the new shit is breaking just a few years into ownership

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>ugly
    >posts pretty car
    monkey moron op

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Because they were priced in the range most wanted to pay. Imports were either cheap things that rusted before your very eyes (Japanese) or hideously expensive things ( German). This paradigm lasted through the Eighties when the Japanese finally got the rust under control and the rise of the yuppy made German cars and their prices mainstream.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Meanwhile this was the average car in Europe at the time lol.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

hardcore

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

And the average motah in glorious nippon......

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

imagine if they imported these to the US...
        >v8
        >rwd
        >air suspension
        >fender mirrors as an option
        >body on frame

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Too small and feminine looking. It's like if a car was a ladyboy.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>feminine looking
            wut. who knew boxy 80s styling was feminine...

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>fender mirrors as an option
          Why would anyone want that

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

if you've driven with them you'll know. but if you haven't, it takes a few mins to get used to. but you have a lot better vision with them, don't have to turn your head as much (inb4 necklet) and by default they eliminate blind spots (as opposed to door mirrors which at their default positions, typically leave a pretty big blind spot)

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>but you have a lot better vision with them
            Doubt
            They make already small mirrors even smaller by placing them further from the driver

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you can see when things are in your blind spot, but it is harder to make out smaller objects due to the distance.
            taxi drivers like them though

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

What's a blind spot

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i dunno but my fender mirrors deal with that just as well as the door mirrors

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>my fender mirrors

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

not my problem

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

An object the same size but twice as far from you would appear twice as small. Small mirrors is literally your problem.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

All I need to know is that the object is there.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Nope, you need to estimate its relative position (including the distance) and speed.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

yes, that can all be done with fender mirrors...

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

The smaller the mirror is, the harder it is to do it. Are you moronic?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i have absolutely no trouble doing this. it really is not my problem. i also see plenty of trucks with fender mirrors and they don't have issues either. why is it so hard for you?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

That wasn't the average car even in Bongistan at the time.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

It 100% was in the north where the miners lived and other industrial cities.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

I take it most people were still on horses?

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Pic unrelated?

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It was a better time anon.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The 72-78 Plymouths and Dodges were some of the best police cars ever made.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>70's and 80's
    >Ugly

U WOT MATE

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

never been a fan of the early 60s chrysler designs. just looked weird. late 60s looks so good though

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>early 60s

Most early 60s designs are terrible. The 61 Lincoln Continental being a notable exception. It ended the late 50s push towards busy space age over the top designs and brought in an era of streamlined minimalist designs that got flourishes added to them over time. It took a while for the new aesthetic to catch on everywhere though so there were quite a few ugly designs up to around 1964.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Car designers in sixties were massive trolls

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

image related

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I still don't get the claim that they only turned out ugly, because Exner was forced to downsize them. I mean, look at this thing, and tell me it would be any less ugly fullsize.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

We don’t think about you little goblin “people” at all. Literally never lol

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What's the year and model?

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Because the only ground most Americans competed on in those days was, "Oh, you have to drive a small car because of gas prices? Ha-ha, POOR! My car is bigger than your car, so that makes me better than you!"

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>in those days

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Also, to be quite honest, the Plymouth Gran Fury (OP pic) with the 440 was the greatest police cruiser/interceptor of all time, and certainly a damn sight better than the wimpy Explorers we have to drive now.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

image unrelated

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If that's ugly to you just stick forks into your eyeballs because they're fricking worthless.

"Verification not required."

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Large cabin, large trunk, large engine what's wrong with that??

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

quality went to shit during the "oil crisis" which was planned. The big three were caught off guard and rushed into production the worst shit possible. They should all have gone bankrupt. With all the skilled labor and factories it would have been very beneficial for new companies to form and start over making quality cars, but no, that was left to japs who learned quality control from a US guy, I forget his name..Denning?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

W. Edwards Deming
      Guys like that don’t really seem to exist in the US anymore.

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Shut up, you're ugly.

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>How come Americans were able to sell such ugly and cheaply made cars to their fellow countrymen in the seventies and eighties?

For the exact same reason that people buy new iPhones every year even though there have been no major changes in nearly a decade. People get used to a certain kind of technology and as long as the new models are "good enough" and ever so slightly better than previous models, people will buy them. Sure, these barges sucked by modern standards but at the time they were more than adequate. By the 70s and especially the 80s, most of them had air conditioning and cruise control standard. Those were serious technological developments only available on the highest end luxury cars in the 50s and 60s. A lot of them started to use disc brakes, at least in the front. Plus by the late 70s, all cars came with an 8-track tape or by the 80s, a cassette tape player. Again, for people growing up in the 50s and 60s, this was an unimaginable luxury. Holy shit you can play your own music in the car instead of listening to the radio?!!? WOW

So yeah, these cars weren't great by any stretch, but for most consumers they were objectively superior to previous vehicles and that's all that mattered. The only people who didn't like them were the guys who were into fast muscle cars in the 60s, for almost everyone else these were totally adequate

22. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

tbQh they were probably shit and an awful driving experience, but they looked pretty damn cool and distinct.

23. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Other than these motherfrickers being stupidly long, they were fricking amazing. I banged a ton of chicks in the back of the car my grandpa gave me and it was so fricking spacious.

24. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If dodge put this back into production I would buy it.

25. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Ugly??? Wtf are you smoking Black person you are confirmed to have no taste.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *