How come I feel more torque in 2nd gear compared to 1st gear? What's the mechanical reason behind this?

How come I feel more torque in 2nd gear compared to 1st gear? What's the mechanical reason behind this?
Generally lower gears are said to have more torque/can accelerate faster...

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I feel like the main limiter in accelerating fast in 1st gear is not the torque that the engine can output to meat the load required, but the ability to actually increase RPMs fast enough.
    What do you think of my guess?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Aside from the minimal time spent getting everything "spinned up" and engaged the main limiter to 1st gear accel is tire grip.
      With the gear multiplication even a slow car is putting >800ftlb to each tire, which is more than enough to spin even the good (normal car tire) stuff like PS4s

So if it "feels slow" you're launching too hard and spinning/TCS is reducing power.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I'm not talking about launching the car in 1st gear though, I'm talking about like going from 2000 rpm to 4000 rpm. Is there really tire spin there?

2. 2 weeks ago
    gonster

because your butt dyno is not calibrated
    longer gear keeps the car in the powerband for longer

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Hmm maybe.
      I'm just trying to explain why it seems like full throttle in 2nd gear gives a lot more acceleration than 3rd gear. Full throttle in 3rd gear gives a lot more acceleration than in 4th gear. And so on. Bu full throttle in 1st gear and I'm not really going anywhere, even though that's what should happen.
      Is it because my car can't rev fast enough?

Is your car turbo'd? Some cars limit boost in first gear.

No.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is your car turbo'd? Some cars limit boost in first gear.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My guess is that first gear happens so quickly you're too focused on when to shift to second to even notice the acceleration.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you're driving something with efi, a lot of the reason will be the fuel map. Most cars with electronic injection will restrict fueling and therefore torque in the first gear, and many 8+ gear transmissions will restrict in both 1st and 2nd. It's a combination of emissions and not scaring the general public with constant burnouts.
    If you drive something with a mechanical carburetion linkage and/or a clutch pedal, it's probably just you

• 2 weeks ago
      gonster

>scaring the general public with constant burnouts.
      that's based tho, frick auto manufacturers

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Because your engine is aenemic and your rotating assembly is heavy.
    Basically even if you were in neutral your engine would still take time to rev up to redline, in first gear the engine climbs revs so fast it's fighting against that weight and not utilising its torque properly.

• 2 weeks ago
      gonster

huh that actually makes a lot of sense, i might need to include that in my gearing calculations in future x)

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's one of the reasons lightened flywheels and carbon driveshafts exist - these won't give your car any more torque in the higher gears where the engineis fighting 99% against the load of driving the car, but they will allow the car to pick up faster in the lower gears where accelerating the driveline inertia shares a larger portion of the load.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It can also make your revs drop faster when upshifting, or go up faster when rev matching downshifting.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah I think this is exactly the reason which is what I guessed here

I feel like the main limiter in accelerating fast in 1st gear is not the torque that the engine can output to meat the load required, but the ability to actually increase RPMs fast enough.
      What do you think of my guess?

If you're driving something with efi, a lot of the reason will be the fuel map. Most cars with electronic injection will restrict fueling and therefore torque in the first gear, and many 8+ gear transmissions will restrict in both 1st and 2nd. It's a combination of emissions and not scaring the general public with constant burnouts.
      If you drive something with a mechanical carburetion linkage and/or a clutch pedal, it's probably just you

It's a manual car that is fuel injected... But I suppose what you said can still be true, I have no idea what the computer decides my throttle input to be/what fuel map is.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Its probably TCS, SCS, or whatever acronym your manufacturer applies. Ive rented U-HAULS, which are dangerously slow and you can flip through the menu and make them launch hard. Unfortunately you have to do it every time you start it.

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Wut car anon? Maybe its a specific tuning issue for it.

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

maybe traction control is kicking in or if you have a turbo engine it isn't able to load the engine enough to spool up in 1st gear.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

is probably tire anti slip motor control

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I had an old maxima that launched harder in 2nd, then switching to D, than just launching in D.

• 2 weeks ago
      gonster

I had an Accord that had a really tall 1st gear, launched better than basically everything i "tested" it against. Then it'd downshift to 2nd and get walked by a nissan leaf lmao

• 2 weeks ago
        gonster

>downshift
        other shift

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Moneyshift?

• 2 weeks ago
            gonster

yes moneyshift from 1st into negative-3rd

• 2 weeks ago
            gonster

funnyshift

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

how good was second plus winter mode?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It was a 2000. It didn't have modes.

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Either turbo lag or wheelspin

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>all the alternative answers ITT

Does DA really not know 2nd gear is always the best gear for doing a pull and feeling your engine's torque?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think you mean 3rd

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

because this is a real thing, but it doesn't mean accel is faster in 2nd, it means you haven't learned your throttle use to do so in 1st

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I think you mean 3rd

>1 gear pull
      >not maxxing out 2nd then 3rd

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *