How did Mazda come out of nowhere and start contending with Toyota and Honda and beating them out?

How did Mazda come out of nowhere and start contending with Toyota and Honda and beating them out? They used to be in the same tier as Nissan/Infinity and Mitsubishit.

>same or better reliability as a Honda or Toyota
>interiors rival Acura, BMW and Lexus
>quality shits all over many 'luxury' brands like Infiniti and Benz
>performance and driving dynamics shit all over Honda and Toyota
>pricing rivals Hyundai / Kia despite being better in nearly every way
>no CVTs, good quality automatic transmissions instead
>relatively cheap and easy to repair
>no mechanical gimmicks, just well made reliable cars
>classic designs that look closer to luxury brands

for a long time Miatas were really the only Mazdas I'd ever recommend over anything but something happened at Mazda over the past 5-7 years or something
did they just finally expel all of the Ford shitters in the company or something?

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Where did mazdashills finally start getting paid to make constant nonstop mazda threads?
    If anyone actually owned or gave a shit about those heaps there would be a mazda thread but people barely own miatas on DA anymore.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

idk what you're talking about, I don't post on DA very often, the only threads about Mazda I've seen have been those Miata threads

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

do you actually believe anyone would be paid to post on DA one of the slowest board on DA when a single X or Facebook post can reach thousands per hour?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

shills aren't paid to post on one single website.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Spoken like a true shill.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Miatas never gave problems other than old car bullshit

I'm going to steal your car and leave it a gutted shell

https://i.imgur.com/LtbLuVr.jpg

do you actually believe anyone would be paid to post on DA one of the slowest board on DA when a single X or Facebook post can reach thousands per hour?

DA has a competency crisis where the newfriends from /misc/ think everyone is a shill and it's not just your average poster on this website being a tribal toxic moron where their opinions and tastes are the only right ones

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Where did mazdashills finally start getting paid
      There's no such thing as a shill for anything.
      It's even sadder. It's one fricking guy with autism constantly making repeated threads.
      Whether it be Gr86 threads, mazda threads, camaro threads, truck threads, etc.
      One person each.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Shills aren't nearly as real as much as armies of self-appointed autists who will post on a website 7 days a week 16 hours a day. Most of the actual shilling is just steering said autismos into the right opinions you want them to spread and giving them content to reinforce those opinions.

It's worse with cell phones because they don't have a break

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

OP here believe it or not
        you're a schizo, i don't even post on DA all that often

Scotty Kilmer is DA's lord and savior and he's been jerking off to Mazdas for a couple of years now, combine that with Mazda ranking #1 on CR reliability rankings multiple years and awards from Car and Driver and shit, the "mainstream" car people all are on Mazda's dick lately. They went back to basics and started making really good cars, and they got into the SUV market which is lucrative in America and ripe for market penetration because Toyotas and Hondas have ridiculous markup.

Mainstream consumers are always behind car people when it comes to this shit but Mazdas are starting to get really popular now that they've started making a ton of SUVs.

its common sense more people talk about them

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I've got a Mazda MX-30 (no, not the EV for the tenth time), it's a fine, if gutless DD, and looks better than 90% of cars on the road. But I've never made a thread about it because it's boring.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The skyactive stuff came out and all of the sudden they had better mpg and a little bump in power, and they ironed out the little stuff with forced induction. They already had decent reliability, its just they didn't have consistent mazda engine options since half their cars had ford duratecs, and their transmissions have been a mixed bag as well. Now everything has gotten more consistent and independent since mazda is its own company. Throw in a little luxury options, and you're now competing with toyota and honda

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Beating Toyota at quality lmaoooooooo.. ngmi anon

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Reliability is basically on par with Toyota nowadays but their cars drive better, usually have more muscle, have more premium materials and interior designs, and overall have a much better driving experience.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Drive better
        >More muscle
        No, and even if that was the case it's like arguing one old man can beat another old man's ass, nobody gives a frick, so far from the peak of what an actually good handling car or powerful car is. It's the perfect brand for BORING, jack of all trades master of none, choice-paralysis people

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Mazda's thing has always been driving dynamics anon. Mazdas usually put larger engines in their cars compared to Toyota equivalents, like the CX-30 2.5l engine to the Corolla Cross's 2.0l engine. They use reliable automatic transmissions and not cheap CVT bullshit that feels weird to drive.

And yeah Mazdas outside of Miatas are now doing the whole Toyota thing where they make conservative yet reliable cars. But they still make them fun to drive, that's their whole thing

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No, new mazdas aren't well driving because old mazdas were. No, not all mazdas get handling because the miata is good at it. Not how it works. Nobody seriously looks at a mazda 3 and thinks of it as a canyon carver or a track capable machine.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It depends on what Mazda decided to tune their car for. Mazda intended the 3 to be a comfortable grand tourer so it doesn't drive sporty (ironically the best cars in that segment are either the Civic or Corolla Hatch for driving feel). While the CX30 is pretty damn fun as far as crossovers go, it definitely drives sportier and handles better than the Corolla Cross, HRV, Crosstrek, and Blazer.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

None of those are grand tourers. That also isn't ironic.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The CX-30 and CX-5 are the most fun driving cars in their segment. The Mazda 3 is an economical compact sedan, it isn't trying to be a track capable machine, but it is still one of the most fun cars to drive in its segment. Like you said, Miatas are famously fun to drive.

A Turbo CX-5 I'd argue is more fun to drive than a BMW X5 and an Audi Q5 and it's half the price. Mazda just gets steering and suspensions right, it's a far more responsive car than anything in its segment.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

> CX-30
            outright worse to drive than mazda 3 of which it is a karen version

not sure why one anon on DA is obsessed over it

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

In denial
          the post.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>They used to be in the same tier as Nissan/Infinity
    Sadly, this is nu-Honda now. Such a fall from grace.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Honda died when Soichiro did.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There's too many mazdas on the road these days, or at least around my city. I no longer want them because it makes me feel like another uber driver.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They're cheaper, and new Toyotas and Hondas are shit now. They fall apart and have shit tons of bugs that need repairs right off the bat. Both Toyota and Hondas come into my shop all the time with the headlight gremlin where your headlights burn out every couple months. Mazda is up and coming in terms of reliability, they're identifying where they can make improvements and are pushing to make them. Toyota and Honda and falling off and I mean fricking freefalling. They fall apart in every possible way, I'd rank a new Toyota with what I used to rank Nissans as, pieces of shit. Their drivetrains seem to still work fine aside from CVT transmissions (every brand with these has issues) but every other part imaginable starts shitting out 5-10 years in. The meme that they're reliable needs to stop because it's simply not true anymore. Don't believe me fine, I make good money off them.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

ironically BMWs improved in reliability and quality too but not so much in the design language

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If they were good people would be buying them. There are no Mazda's in the top 10 best selling vehicles list. The worst selling truck from the big 3 sells more units than all of Mazda's combined vehicle sales.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

By that logic the HR-V is the 6th best car in the US. The US top 20 is grim.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

What? The HR-V is not on the top 25 list. The CR-V is and that thing is a steaming pile of fricking shit. So if people are buying that but not Mazda's that really tells you something.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g43553191/bestselling-cars-2023/

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I had a CRV and a CX-5 now and the CRV is a million times better except for the touchscreen controls.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

My bad, regardless, you were the one judging a cars quality on sales. The amount of rubbish cars in the Top 20 proves people in the US are by and large, fricking morons.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Their sales are up 25% in a single year, that's huge.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

you got 0 tools

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm still choosing Acura or Lexus over a Mazda any day.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Acura or Lexus over a Mazda
      Mazda is a cheaper brand than Toyota or Honda, even. It's not in the same segment as Acura or Lexus.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Black folk tear your car apart to see if it can be stolen with a usb cable
    Pass

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They make cars that appeal to normies. Normies buy. It's pretty simple.

They wow them with the interiors, make boring but reliable cars. Same as Toyota, but they try extra hard to make people feel like they are getting more value of a car because OMG I'M LITERALLY DRIVING A LUXURY BMW (they aren't)

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Great offroader or best offroader?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

eh, not enough ground clearance to really offroad with, but it shits on all the non-wrangler Jeeps for sure

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You gotta lift it high cuz fat chicks can't jump.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I told my mom to buy a new Mazda because I got sick and tired of hearing her struggle with random ass parts of her Subaru breaking. She likes it, I hope I told her to do the right thing long-term.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Skyactives are garbage
    They will foul up with excessive carbon on the intake valves because they're direct injection bullshit.
    Plastic water pumps, Atkinson cycle bullshit, vacuum pumps for the brake booster, all stupid bullshit

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Did you wake up from a 30 year coma?
      Which compacts under 30K don't have those design choices?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They need a dual injection system like other manufacturers but they're most likely boxed themselves in a corner with the high compression schtick

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>like other manufacturers
          Name one please

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>vacuum pumps for the brake booster
      More stopping power now bad. I knew this board was nothing but bus riders

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the actual frick? brake boosters have been around for more than half a century

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

the actual frick? brake boosters have been around for more than half a century

unless you're talking about the vacuum pump itself. no experience with those but i imagine for something as critical as brakes they'd at least try to make them last long

15. 2 months ago

I pretend I do not see it.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've been looking at Alfa Giulias but not a lot of options where I live, so I started looking at used Mazda 6s and I'm very tempted. Much cheaper, more reliable, and ticks all my boxes (4 cyl turbo, 200+ hp, current tech) except for AWD but that wasn't a dealbreaker. Local dealer has one for $23k with 36k miles.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

doesn't the Mazda6 have an AWD Turbo variant?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Not for the '21 model in the US, as far as I can tell

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

The US never got an AWD nu6 nor the wagon/estate. It's a crime.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Gay larp. Nobody cross shops those two cars

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My mother went from Ford to Mazda since I was a child and swears by them to this day.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Good corporate culture/management.
    They’re always had solid engineering, but worse than toyota/honda QA. They also intentionally designed down-market cars. Recently (the last 5-7 years you mentioned) they made a conscious decision to move their brand upmarket. They don’t have a luxury brand anymore, so they started making all their cars better quality.
    So the fun driving dynamics + solid engineering now have better quality backing it in exchange for higher prices. They also redesigned their looks around the same time and did a better job with that than the previous models, imo.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Also, mazdas are still made in Japan. Hondas are made in mexico, toyotas are made in usa, hence their quality is junk.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Over half the Mazdas sold in US are made in Mexico or Alabama.

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They build their cars cheaper. They're not as high quality as Toyota/Honda. They're smaller than Toyota and Honda competitors. Ever been in one? Tiny.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *