How did you get into cars and automotive? Do you do your own work on your car?

How did you get into cars and automotive? Do you do your own work on your car?

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i owned a complete shitbox that i really liked and felt like a less of a man for being unable to fix it myself. now im overly invested in all things automotive and my once unreliable shitbox is now a proper workhorse.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I like mechanical things. If it has an engine I'll be interested. I don't work on my own car because it is my only one and I'm pretty clumsy so I'm afraid I'll break something and can't get to work.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Had a boatload of hotwheels as a kid, but never got into real cars until I was an adult (fatherless behavior). But like , I don't mess with my daily, but I still love learning and tinkering.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

When you have space/cash get a shit box and start wrenching. It's rewarding on another level when you drive something hard after doing major work on it. It also is rewarding unto itself. It's also a fricking addiction. I started in a gravel driveway with a $98 socket set when I was a teenager. Today I have a 1400 sqft pole barn full of tools including a two post hydraulic lift. Last night I was grinding rust of the tub of a 30 year old jeep and welding in angle iron to reinforce it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This except I work on my vehicle because its my only one
      >paying other people to do what I can do for free

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

browsing DA in high school during class.
    parents didnt let me buy a clapped out 300 dollar car to wrench on so they got me a boring car that never broke down. Only making my urges to wrench bigger.
    Then tried to go into automotive and it was nothing but miserable and awful.
    End up selling said boring car for something I actually wanted.
    I still enjoy doing my own repairs because mechanics are morons and scum.

I hate cars in general. I hate car gays. I hate the dudebro car "culture" shit. I hate ricers.
    I hate this wrenchlet busrider board but I keep coming back for some reason.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

my dad had a saleen mustang with underglow in the early 2000s, and he would often do obscene speeds on the highway on the way to school. he was basically a vrooomer. wonder how much the neighbors hated him starting up his straightpiped mudstang at 3am for work every morning.
    >do you do your own work on your car?
    yeah

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Based dad. Couldn't ask for a higher test way to start your day than being woken up by the roar of a V8.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

yeah shit was cash. he really won little-me over getting me mcdonalds breakfast and making it to time on school with speeding on the highway. shit was cash.

>my dad had a saleen mustang with underglow in the early 2000s
        Your dad had impeccable taste.

I still want to buy a sn95 in silver with a dickbill spoiler like he had. he also had expensive ass wheels ontop of the green undergrow.
        as I grew up i thought it was kinda tasteless but now I realize it was 100% period correct and awesome as frick.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>dickbill
          duckbill.
          also we would leave the same time my mom would take me to school, cause he knew I would wake up, get ready and play videogames until the last minute, he'd make up any time getting me breakfast with speeding.
          luv me dad

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>my dad had a saleen mustang with underglow in the early 2000s
      Your dad had impeccable taste.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>dad used to have me hand him tools while it took him like 2 hours to change his oil
    >distance myself from dad
    >go off to college
    >dad dies
    > mom schedules oil changes from the mechanic
    > graduate college
    >get office job
    >hate life so I quit my job and started selling cars, started wrenching because I was poor
    That's pretty much it. Sounds a lot more depressing typed out

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Use to take apart mechanical things as a kid
    >Use to love going fast in my bike
    >Use to love going fast in my 1st car
    >Take LSD
    >Get in to cars so much I wrench on my own shit and my girl's

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

Sounds about right minus the gay anime stuff.

It’s about 40% liking mechanical stuff, 40% saving money, and 21% that I don’t like other people working on my shit and messing it up.

Yea that’s 101% because dem haterz gon hate

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

same. I've always been into fixing shit and being self reliant but at a certain point my interest in cars "clicked". I had a hand me down car that shit started breaking on right around the time I discovered DA. the exact moment was when someone made a driving music thread on DA many years ago, late one night when I was browsing the internet in a bit of a state, then one thing led to another...

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I drove them.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

So what, tons of npcs drive cars and they say THEY HATE CARS and can't wait for self driving cars.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

They never drive. They rather text.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

They drive to do errands, see senpai, and go to work. That's why there are so many on the road. You know, Subarus.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Why was everything so much better 20, 30, 40 years ago? And its not all nostalgia I'm not even 30

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Computers. Ruined. Everything.
        Nothing is servicable anymore because it is all controlled by epoxy potted "black box" modules that can't be diagnosed without a $2k scanner a $900/year subscription plan.
        Car design has succumbed to the anti-consumer demand of perpetually increasing stock holder value.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>$900/yr subscription
          damn I wish mine were that cheap

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I wouldn't say computers ruined anything, its the implementation of computers in a way that's anti-consumer and whose primary purpose is planned obsolescence and slowly pushing consumers away from full ownership and maintenance creating a dependence on the system (ie. John Deer's controversial approach, just ahead of their time).

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

don't forget the $2,000 4-channel oscilloscope.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Computers. Ruined. Everything.
        Nothing is servicable anymore because it is all controlled by epoxy potted "black box" modules that can't be diagnosed without a $2k scanner a $900/year subscription plan.
        Car design has succumbed to the anti-consumer demand of perpetually increasing stock holder value.

90s-early 00s were peak of computer management and ease of maintenance and tuning. afterwards govts started becoming increasingly strict on emissions with increasing frequency. also muh safety

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

did basic maintenance for a while
    took car to three different mechanics that managed to stuff something up in some way, pissed me off enough to just do everything short of tyre replacement on my own car
    noticed one day that my car had rubber plugs where a clutch master cylinder would normally go, got curious
    ended up manual swapping my car because of that and the prospect of no longer having a slushy auto

10. 2 months ago
    s10fag

I had a buick century that smelled like piss

11. 2 months ago
    Greased Geese

>How did you get into cars and automotive
    traded a little flatbed trailer to my neighbor this car.

• 2 months ago
      s10fag

that recent, eh?

• 2 months ago
        Greased Geese

it was around 2017, previously id only ever had trucks.

• 2 months ago
          s10fag

yeah about the time i bought my wagon i noticed you posting. i think i bought the car in may, should have gotten the red ltd wagon out in festus mo, it had a 302 and was just 1800$

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

it was around 2017, previously id only ever had trucks.

Didn't ask you newbie. Stfu lol.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I was always working on vehicles as a little kid. Then I took mechanics in HS. Then I dailied a $500 truck. That will get you good at fixing shit real quick when the alternative is taking the bus. I'm forced to work on my own cars because mechanics won't touch them.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

a lot of need for speed and midnight club

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Not sure how I got into cars, I always loved them since I can remember.
    I don't work on my cars anymore, I don't have the time.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>dad is mechanic/electrician/truck driver
    >play Gran Turismo with him for hours
    >hold the flashlight in the garage and get yelled at
    >promotion to you-crawl-down-there,-my-knees-hurt
    >promotion to you-know-what-to-do-I'm-tired
    >get tools for Xmas
    >go to school for cars

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>>go to school for cars
      Where'd you go?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Where'd you go?
        Michigan Tech, BSME on the race car team. Work for an OEM now

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Got a PS2 with Gran Turismo 3 bundled-in in '01.
    I was testing out gear ratio changes and had legitimately beaten all of the endurance races in middle school.
    TFaTF craze happened, my neighbor in HS had a 1st gen Eclipse we used to do dumb shit to. He used dryer hose as an intake pipe lol.
    Got my license, bought a shitty car that barely ran and wrenched it like crazy with a shop manual. I loved that car, I fondly remember shearing the head off the main crank bolt one time.
    Legal drag strip less than 10 min from where I lived in HS.
    Went to engineering school, got a degree while interning in a parts factory. Badda bing badda boom.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

For drag racing strips or race tracks, how do you become acquainted and started at places like that?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Most drag strips run weekly Test and Tune nights in the summer where you just roll up, pay $10-20, and you can line up all night. It's a good time.
        Tracks are harder, I've only been to small tracks that do $300 open track days very rarely. You've usually got to be in with the local SCCA community or have a car club wealthy enough to rent out a track for the day.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My dad was into it. I learned the basics. I do repairs that are surface like radiators, alternators, spark plugs, whatever small crap, but I never got too deep. I know enough to tell what's going wrong, but if it requires major work I have friends or at worst one man show mechanics(only ones I trust) that always help. Never had a good set up to have all the tools and a place to wrench.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Gran Turismo 1 and 2 were my first games and my first toys were Hot Wheels cars. Sadly, the most mechanical thing I can do is change my cabin air filter.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My family lived above their means and were house poor. As a result we had to work on literally every thing, and I was out there holding the light for my dad as a child. It naturally progressed to hobbies with RC cars, Motorcycles, then cars. Yes I own multiple vehicles, and yes I do all work other than Alignments and tire balancing. I exclusively have owned 30-40 year old shit boxes my entire life.

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i have a friend who drives a ae86, and introduced me to drifting and car culture back when i was 16 or so. binge watched initial d with him, and became a jdm nerd lol.
    ever since I saw the rx7 for the first time when he took me to a car show, i decided to get my own one day cuz brap brap brap

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I played gt4 and nfs as a kid. I held the light for dad when he was wrenching on cars, and helped on the bicycles when i could. Got a motorcycle license around 20 and had to fix up the scooter, by then I was watching videos and learning to do stuff in the garage. One of the only things I enjoy doing anymore.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I grew up interested so I read exhaustively and took relevant jobs (auto electrical rebuilder, salvage yard, industrial mechanic) and if something needed work I chose to grab tech data and tools then get it done. All my jobs have been technical/mechanical and becoming an aircraft mechanic for Uncle Sugar got me years of paid training (in three specialties, crosstraining is fun).

All tech experience is of a piece. I bought whatever tools I didn't have, made my share of noob errors but not the same one twice and have done all my own work for decades except machining and one transmission swap I had to farm out because back surgery.

Just decide to do it, then do it. Read, read more, and these days you have video but make friends with factory tech data. Learn the ways of metal by welding and machining. Learn computers and electronics. The more you learn the faster you learn and the more fun you have becoming a DIY monster.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm gay btw

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm a busrider.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Bus Wanker
      😉 🙂

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>How did you get into cars and automotive?
    like 12 years my math teacher (during private tutoring) was talking about cars to me, and ask him if "2 stroke is the same as 2 valves per cylinder" then he laughed at me. ans this basically started my interest in cars.
    but tbh my knowledge is purely theoretical
    >do you do your own work on your car?
    no, i'm europoor so i don't own a car. and even if i did it's basically verboten

26. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Bought my first shitbox when I turned 18, didn't get my license until 21 because i'm a lazy moron.
    didn't know shit about cars so it broke all the time.
    Started doing my own repairs after getting fricked by mechanics.
    Love to work on my own car now, but i need a heated garage since I live in a frozen shithole

27. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

To be honest I am not that interested in working on my car, I view it more from a political perspective; that having a car in general is something the globohomosexual hates (as well as having a large displacement engine), therefore I should appreciate cars. I think it's an American responsibility to own a V8 American muscle car.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

imagine being this psyoped. you need to take a break, go outside

28. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Unironically: The Fast & The Furious.

I was 15 years old, and I saw it with my older friends who already had modified tuner cars. I thought it was cool.

29. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My dad, we used to ride dirt bikes, had to my own maintenance on a 500cc 2 stroke, chain all that bs.
    Then we rebuilt a 454 for the mud truck together. After was drag racing.
    Pop's was essential in me learning to wrench. Not great but I can work on my own vehicles for certain things.
    I happen to love engines and cars so that helps too.

30. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How did you guys learn about all the different engines and components in a car? Hands on experience? I just got my first car a couple of months ago but only got curious what's under the hood last week, now after spending my life completely clueless on automotives I've been on a 3-day adderall fueled bender of absorbing as many different car models and manufacturers as I can, as well as basic concepts I didn't understand before like 4wd vs awd and etc. Are there any good books or online courses on all this shit? Fundamentals I should learn first? I'm interested in it all but it's very overwhelming to approach from a position of practically no previous knowledge.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *