How do i stop the outside of plastic headlights yellowing?

How do i stop the outside of plastic headlights yellowing? Already fixed them once and they reyellowed in about a month uv clear coat makes no difference

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Cover it in PPF.
    $150-200 done professionally, or DIY it for as low as $10 plus some equipment like soap and squeegie

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This, had terrible headlights and had a guy wet sand them and immediately clear bra them. Fixed the issue permanently. Well, permanently enough.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Sylvania headlight restorer.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I get the Cerakote kits they're great

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Get OEM lights they last longer and are easier to restore when that shit happens.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Get OEM lights they last longer and are easier to restore when that shit happens.
      16yo car can't find them

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Well frick...

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

well i CAN their just 500-1000usd+ for anything not shit
          slowly buffing the yellow out of mine

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

A body shop can restore them for you if they're not super yellow and cracked but it's kinda of a money loser/ time consuming if you do it correctly. so you might get some pushback on that.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

ive tried the plastic on the inside is also yellowed which means chemical treatment and or new lenses

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Inside yellowing come from the bumbs which put out some UV.
            LEDs put out little to no UV so theyre the best bet if you dont want internal yellowing/hazing. Make sure to put them in an appropriate projector and aim them properly

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

already got leds

You didn't "fix" them, you wiped a chemical on them to make them look better for a short time. To fix them the right way you need to use one of those buffing compound kits.

already got this too, second and third buffs looked WAY better

This, had terrible headlights and had a guy wet sand them and immediately clear bra them. Fixed the issue permanently. Well, permanently enough.

mine still has a little bit putting leds in tomorrow

The yellow is the factory coating breaking down, youve got to sand it off before you do anything or else its just going to come back

already done 4x gonna do clear coat

• 2 months ago
            Aspiring Investor

Dont use rattle can clear, get 2k from a paint supplier

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i got rattle uv stable stuff for clear coat touchup fricks on my cars cosmetically fricked the lights are the least of the issue

• 2 months ago
            Aspiring Investor

Even the expensive cans that claim to be uv resistant dont last long, but if its just to keep the lights from being too dim and the car is already fricked its not like it really matters

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Replace em with glass ones like a man

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

ive got 14 year old lights still clear like theyre brand new
    might come with the climate youre in? either way id just try new lenses

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

well i know yellow is uv damage

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

get good kid, I've always had plastic headlights and they never yellowed. I dont do anything to them

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

so you know whats it like to live in australia then do you?
      might try this
      https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/hydrogen-peroxide-for-headlights.353815/

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yeah bro, just oxidize your headlights on purpose bro and then wonder why your headlight covers are brittle and break when a rock from a dump truck shatters it.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You didn't "fix" them, you wiped a chemical on them to make them look better for a short time. To fix them the right way you need to use one of those buffing compound kits.

9. 2 months ago
    Poor Investor

The yellow is the factory coating breaking down, youve got to sand it off before you do anything or else its just going to come back

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why don't car manufacturers return to glass headlights?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

because plastishit is 10 times cheaper and manufacturers don't want you to keep a car for longer than 5 years.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>Why don't car manufacturers return to glass headlights?
      Weight
      Glass liked to crack and shatter especially on rough roads and brittle due to age heat cycles
      Then theres the pedestrian safety argument

Meanwhile my 3yo factory headlights i just replaced on my other car have already yellowed again

11. 2 months ago
    p

If you plan on keep this vehicle for more than two years just get new headlights. Trust daddy, it’s worth it

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Wet sand it with fine paper and clear coat. Won't look pretty up close but it's fictional

13. 2 months ago
    Poor Investor

Anyone try putting paste wax on their headlights? I've heard of people doing this but I'm not sure how well it would actually work

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

My mother's came with it
      Works

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Apply Mequiars keep clear headlight coating twice a year. Other altiernatives are Presta Headlight sealant, Turtlewax headlight cleaner&sealant, Bluemagic headlight lens sealer.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>clear coat makes no difference
    It makes a huge difference when needing to re-do. Instead of merely re-sanding, now you also have to sand through a layer of clear coat which leaves edges that look like shit. Do not use.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Not OP. I never thought of this. Def makes sense though. Good thing i just sand, buff, and PPF it

Anyone try putting paste wax on their headlights? I've heard of people doing this but I'm not sure how well it would actually work

Ya it makes cleaning easier. I have PPF over mine either way

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I bought a cheap acetone kit from China, used it and applied UV film. Worth it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What's in that cup? Pure acetone or it's something else?

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

replace them with non oem spare

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *