How do you downshift in a manual if you're new and not comfortable with heel-toe yet?

How do you downshift in a manual if you're new and not comfortable with heel-toe yet?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You just downshift and let the synchros do their job.
    Nobody double-clutches in normal driving.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I always double clutch when i skip gears

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Post car, moron

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Nobody double-clutches in normal driving.
      Can't be caught dead granny shifting

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>unironically granny shifting
        oh no no no no

Granny shifting is just another name for short shifting, has nothing to do with double clutching.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The busriders and computers don't even know what they are talking about. Just throwing around words they heard on YouTube car reviews cause they think they can larp as drivers

• 2 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Granny shifting, not double clutching like ya should!

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>unironically granny shifting
      oh no no no no

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Break and change to lower gear while pressing the clutch.

This. So much fricking this

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I do because my 4th gear synchro is fricked

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I always double clutch my 1991 mazda b2200, frick you

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

American hands types these posts

Rev matching can be done without heel toe down shifts and it works fine for most street driving

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I never downshifted when I drove a manual lmao

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No one needs to heel toe downshift on street driving lol.
      Just brake and when you're done braking put it in the right gear for your speed.

This is the answer for most on-street driving.
      Although it can be fun to row through the gears both up and down, it's really not necessary to downshift at all.

https://i.imgur.com/UKKljqa.jpeg

As you get comfortable driving, practice rev matching and putting the car in a lower gear while you're driving. Don't worry about doing it while braking at all, just start practicing downshifting with rev matching.
      Then if you get good at doing that, you can practice doing it while braking (heel-toe).

But most of the time you can simply brake while in the higher gear, and put it in the appropriate lower gear just when it's time to start accelerating again.
      You don't need to move through the lower gears while decelerating.

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

you only heel and toe if you're braking and need to downshift at the same time you goof. Normal driving it isn't necessary. And if you are braking at the same time but very slowly, you can get away with not even rev matching. The jerk shouldn't be that big if you ease off the clutch.
    Clutch in, throw it into gear, rev up, let go.

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>heel-toe
    tired old meme

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

No one needs to heel toe downshift on street driving lol.
    Just brake and when you're done braking put it in the right gear for your speed.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Down shift, rev match, brake. Ez

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

git gud

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>clutch in
    >blip throttle
    >downshift
    >release clutch

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>heel-toe
    Nobody does this in a street car. Your gearbox has synchros in it. Press in the clutch, shift to a lower gear, and let out the clutch. That's it.

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

There's 2 ways
    >downshift to appropriate gear with a throttle blip rev match
    >start braking
    Or
    >start braking
    >when RPMs get low, clutch in and down shift
    >slowly release clutch and hold it at the bite point until the revs slowly match up to prevent a jerk
    Heel toeing on the street isn't really feasible since pedal boxes for it are set for hard braking, trying to feather the brake and blip the throttle at the same time is comically hard imo.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>trying to feather the brake and blip the throttle at the same time is comically hard imo.
      skill issue

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just blip the throttle before you let the clutch out

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Pull the shifter to neutral, press the gas to increase rpms to the level they need to be at for the gear you're selecting, select the gear.

Eg 3-2 downshift go from 2000 to 3000 then select 2 and dump the clutch. This assumes that 2nd gear ratio is 1.5x 3rd.
    6-3 downshift would be the same except closer to 2x rpm multiplier.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

literally no one thinks your cool for trying to rev match

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I drive for myself. Original clutch and the Gearbox still shifts nicely at 300k miles.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The girl on the back of my bike thinks it's cool

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Though often depicted in romcoms, most bikeracks aren't actually durable or safe enough for passengers

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Maybe not for American passengers.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

your passengers do when your car doesnt lurch every time your slow down

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

driving a manual is no substitute for a personality

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Are you supposed to be able to heel-toe in any car? Like even in small city cars?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Most cars have a shit pedal setup that makes it a pain in the ass. Even cars sold to be sporty sometimes frick it up.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Usually I stop pressing gas early enough to not need to brake for every corner. The revs are already at ideal position when turning

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

That’s only if you’re braking into a turn. Just blip the gas before you let the clutch out on your downshift. So clutch in, blip gas and down shift gear, then clutch out

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Blipping. You tap the gas pedal a bit when you press the clutch to make the engine rev up a tiny bit over the new target speed. Then release the clutch smoothly while the engine settles back down into the synchronous speed. After a bit of practice you can downshift without experiencing any form of bump or acceleration. It's a fun meta game.

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just hold the brake the entire time during the downshift, this will make it very smooth. Heel and toe isn't necessary unless you are focusing on performance driving.

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>heel-toe
    Anon that's for transmissions without synchros or racing where you don't want to waste time letting the synchros do their work.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Rev matching is nice in any manual, makes downshifts smoother and quicker.
      I always do it and my wife's car (2020 Corolla) does it automatically

21. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

when engine rpm slows down to near idle rpm or when engine strugles(lugging) to pull smoothy , usually about 1000-1200rpm is when to downshift if the car does gasoline engine.

22. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i invented this cool technique where you move your braking foot over to the accelerator and just press the pedal real fast. You make the shift while you're moving your foot back over to the brake and letting the clutch out. I call it blipping the throttle. It really took off. The r&d phase took a few decades but we really have it nailed down now.

23. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You don't need to downshift, the only reason manualtards like manual is so they can do it and make the loud noise it makes.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you're not wrong but generally it is safer and more efficient to decelerate in gear, letting the engine do some of the braking. it is not however strictly necessary to bang thru each gear in an obnoxious manner, but damn if i don't love doing it.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>make the loud noise
      yes
      are you a woman, or just pretending to be one

24. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You buy a modern car and not worry about it

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Auto revmatching is pretty nice.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Ford has it perfected in the mustang. Love driving them. I meant a DSG/DCT/decent auto though, but I get your point. Traffic here sucks.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I was going to get an Elantra N which has rev matching but decided against it because of urban youths gonna break in the window thinking they can steal it.

25. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just tap the gas while the clutch is down

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *