How do you guys feel about cars without physical HVAC controls? Seems like all luxury automakers are trending that way

How do you guys feel about cars without physical HVAC controls? Seems like all luxury automakers are trending that way

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Have any of you had problems with these touch screen HVAC systems?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Mostly that I have to pull over to change anything because there is no haptic feedback so you have to look at the screen to make sure you navigate the menu and operate the system, otherwise you accidentally turn on the seat heaters and roast your ass in the middle of July when you were just trying to change the fricking radio station to find music you can actually tolerate.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/VuI3RZu.jpeg

Nice digits but Porsche doesn't use buttons and knobs

https://i.imgur.com/WkeRpln.jpeg

How is it that Mercedes had more Metal buttons than Bentley?

these interiors are awful all plastic and fake leather feels like im driving some 2000s econobox,wtf happened to luxury?

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

BMW isn't luxury, they have to cut costs
    Cars for real rich folk still have buttons and knobs

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That's because most rich people are fifty years older than dirt and any technology newer than 1980 confuses and enrages them.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No, it's because buttons are faster and more convenient to use, therefore more luxurious.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>which is why their card always get every technology first (gps, tvs, magnetic/adaptive suspension, etc)

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Getting the rich old guy to do beta testing on stuff they can brag about, but don't directly mess with is a tale as old as time

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>owned by BMW

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

it has a screen.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

horrid im never getting rid of my 2012 and 2010 falcon shitboxes with physical butttons
    hell the mk2 even has a optional touch screen but the buttons actually work better

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous
    • 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nice digits but Porsche doesn't use buttons and knobs

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Yeah they do dummy

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Lies! Cayenne has buttons and real metal lever controls for all climate settings. They are the only car for the white man.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No it doesn't. All new Porsches except for the Cayman/Boxster have screens

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nope the only one with screens for hvac is the taycan
            Even the electric macan has the dial and switch setup

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Jeezus H Christ, it's like driving a goddamn video game.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Is that a shop? No way the passenger needs an ipad

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>needs
          babby's first luxury car

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I have some pretty nice German cars and all they have is one screen thing in the middle. Gues shit got real crazy in the past few years

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Nice digits, that gloss black looks like it will attract so many fingerprints and dust. It only looks good in the showroom.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

How is it that Mercedes had more Metal buttons than Bentley?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Bro, those are plastic painted to look like aluminum.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Modern cara HVac controls are trash.
    Turn off fan. It sets it recirculate. No outside air is flowing in.
    Car becomes hot quickly. Now you are forced to run the fan or open a window.
    Fan event at lowest speed is too loud.
    Or during cool weather. Normally you turn the temp dial to the center and let air flow through without running the fan..you cannot do this in a modern car

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>modern cars introduce a bunch of nanny systems for "safety"
    >remove all physical controls for an ugly tablet that requires you to look down and navigate through a dozen sub menus to turn on the A/C
    Modern car design is beyond moronic. Why is the auto industry taking design cues from Tesla and Elon Fartbrains?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Wrapping a touchscreen in glossy plastic costs next to nothing, and they don't need to think about where to put the buttons for extra paid features when they're all software.
      Yes, they'll need plenty of software, but modern computing hardware is good enough that the code can be written by pretty moronic programmers and it'll still work. Mostly.
      It also looks futuristic as frick, especially to the boomers who make decisions about these things (and can afford the final product). They probably can't see shit on the screens or figure out the menu layouts, but that's not the point.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>code can be written by pretty moronic programmers and it'll still work. Mostly.
        While our hardware cousins have been hard at work granting us 10 000% speedups, I'm doubtful they'll outpace the cosmic levels of moronation we sw devs exhibit. We've found ways to make a chat screen consume over a gigabyte of ram and spend several full seconds grinding on a fast x86 core.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

No shit. Modern CPUs may be running at 1000 times the clockrate of some early 80s stuff, and do much more work on each clock cycle too, but somehow our software's gotten to a point where YouTube's chat box can bring a 3+ GHz core to its knees.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

At least with Tesla it's actually less effort.

>set temp to 70 degrees
    >always at good temp
    >don't like warm air being blown on me while driving
    >tap on the screen twice to turn it off
    >can use voice controls for everything
    >less parts that can break
    >looks nicer

The only ones who don't like it are poorgays and boomers. Both of which plague this board like vermin.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Tesla gets mentioned negatively
      >immediately a Tesla shill jumps in to the thread
      I wonder how much you jeets get paid to shill all day? Is it enough to afford indoor plumbing?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Enjoy crashing at 70mph because you had to take your hand off the wheel to adjust the climate control by a couple degrees. There's a reason Teslas get into far less accidents per mile than the average american car.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>t. juan pablo lopez mad that people like different things than it

Nailed it. Now there's two of you streetshitting tesla shills. BLOODY HELL SIR DO NOT REDEEM hahaha
          I've done my work for today.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you have to go back (to mexico)

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Being anti Tesla is anti white.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Damn you shills sure are desperate

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>crashing at 70mph because you had to take your hand off the wheel to adjust the climate control

fricking stupid third world dog

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>t. juan pablo lopez mad that people like different things than it

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>implying Tesla shills are even human

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Enjoy your fashion statement while it lasts

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

When was the last time you had a button break on you? My French God machine was made 24 years ago and it's still fully functional.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

most manufacturers that try this tend to walk it back after people realize it's shit. the less I have to frick with a touch screen the better.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I don't know why they hate analog these days. It's way easier to adjust on the go than having to click through menus and deal with the delay on most car screens. As long as you're not like man handling your analog dials either they'll never break.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

they want your car to rely on head unit. Once that part breaks you'll be greeted with
      >sorry bro we don't produce these anymore

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's more like
        >Your fan speed button doesn't work? We're gonna have to replace the whole interface module

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Designed by kids who grew up with touch screens.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My Toyota has voice activated commands and I told it to lower the volume yesterday twice and both times it increased it by 12 each time. Very cool.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The voice recognition can't even change the channel on the radio 99% of the time.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i despise it. it's one of the few things i hate about my car.

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Something that wouldn't matter. I set my HVAC to 21°C years ago and haven't touched a single button since. Seat heaters and mirror/rear window defrosters are automated too, so no need to touch those buttons either

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

They're awful. I considered getting a Mk8 Golf but the touch bar climate controls and the slow speed of the screen UI on the test drive made me drop it.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This gen of VW infotainment & general UX has been such a disaster that they've even apologized for it publicly. It'll probably take them years to unfrick that now that they've committed to it in almost every model, though.
      Wouldn't surprise me if a part of their electric car's middling sales had something to do with the subhuman garbage tier controls.
      Those touch-sensitive areas weren't even backlit in their earliest revisions. Imagine trying to use that in the dark.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Imagine trying to use that in the dark.
        That's the thing though, even the best-designed Screens cannot mitigate the added danger that this bullshit paradigm has introduced to Driving.
        I just cannot believe that this has not only been permitted by regulators, but outright encouraged.
        Institutionalized Distractions have been baked into this fricking cake now.
        Pure lunacy.

Fricktards causing wrecks because "I wasn't comfortable" or "My Carplay didn't connect".

GET OFF THE FRICKING ROAD!

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's baffling how badly they fricked up. I had a MK7 GTI and it was a perfect happy-medium: had a touchscreen and all the same infotainment/comfort amenities but you could still control everything with analog buttons/knobs. It's the sole reason I never considered getting a MK8.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This gen of VW infotainment & general UX has been such a disaster that they've even apologized for it publicly. It'll probably take them years to unfrick that now that they've committed to it in almost every model, though.
      Wouldn't surprise me if a part of their electric car's middling sales had something to do with the subhuman garbage tier controls.
      Those touch-sensitive areas weren't even backlit in their earliest revisions. Imagine trying to use that in the dark.

>Imagine trying to use that in the dark.
      That's the thing though, even the best-designed Screens cannot mitigate the added danger that this bullshit paradigm has introduced to Driving.
      I just cannot believe that this has not only been permitted by regulators, but outright encouraged.
      Institutionalized Distractions have been baked into this fricking cake now.
      Pure lunacy.

Fricktards causing wrecks because "I wasn't comfortable" or "My Carplay didn't connect".

GET OFF THE FRICKING ROAD!

Even the steering wheel has fricking CAPACITIVE BUTTONS. Even Skoda, which mostly gets hand-me-downs from VW, has normal buttons. Frick VW, I'd really like a GTI Polo, but the driver interface is just unacceptable

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The BEST, most logical and functional climate controls ever placed within an automobile.
    1991 Acura Legend
    Dials even recessed when pressed after tuning.

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depending on the implementation, it can range from "tolerable" (like in BMW's case) to "steaming shit". But just having a pair of physical knobs is always better.

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My new car's or any modern car I presume, is so smart I don't even understand why people need to tweak the hvac so often. It's cold? turns on the heater, heated seats, and heated steering automatically, and later cuts it off automatically. Hot? Automatic cold AC. It even automatically changes airflow vents depending on circumstances. I changed the hvac like once or twice since buying the car despite it having physical controls.

18. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

And we know why. It's cheaper to produce a touch display with electronic actuators than it is to produce discreet controls that are (god forbid) physically connected to the HVAC unit.

19. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Mine had chunk buttons with a slider above my left knee so no one can can touch them!

20. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Knobs are fricking peak UX design. Switches are worse and touchscreens are shit. RIP BMW since 2018

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Knobs are fricking peak UX design.
      Especially with just the right amount of retention and natural haptic feedback. Don't need to look at all and spend like 0.6 seconds to adjust the temp 3 degrees up and the volume 4 settings down. Buttons big enough to fit your finger and take just the right amount of force to press. Yeah, BMWs used to be amazing. And every switch, every button, every dial was in a good spot and calibrated just so. I imagine they laid off a very passionate, very talented team in favor of the pajeets doing their touchscreen bullshit now.

21. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I like my Lexus partly because all hvac controls you would want to adjust while driving are physical buttons, knobs and sliders. There is a touch screen interface but it also has a little track pad with force feedback to develop muscle memory on, so you can operate it without looking.

22. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Say what you want about Tesla, but its infotainment is light years ahead of the competition. If all cars are moving towards highly integrated infotainments, and its ease of use is a big selling point, then you can't beat tesla

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's genuinely dangerous because you're going to be keeping your hand off the wheel and eyes off the road when you're digging around in the touch screen. A couple seconds is all it takes to be the difference between a crash and being safe.
    Society has collapsed. It's too stupid and vain for its own safety.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The ipad dash has had its day. People are fts and manufacturers are moving awa, like pic they will be extinct in a couple of years.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>manufacturers are moving away
        they are?
        post examples

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

nta and they're not moving away from having touchscreens, but manufacturers are moving away from removing all the physical buttons thankfully, Hyundai for example came out and said they were going to be committing to using physical buttons going forward, specifically citing safety concerns and I expect most manufacturers to follow suit, especially once we start seeing regulations about which controls have to be physical buttons, the EU will definitely be pushing that shit at some point.

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I wouldn't buy one. Have some standards and manufacturers wouldn't be unloading all this absolute dogshit on us.

25. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Depends on the car, BMW in particular is really good at maintaining just the right temps so leaving it on auto is a viable solution. Ford and fricking dogshit and I'm always fiddling with the settings so touch controls would be awful

26. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My car has buttons and knobs for everything.
    My HVAC has two modes that I care about defrost/demist and 21c which involves toggling one button.
    I don't think I'd like a car that was touch screen.
    It also has a traction control on off at fingertip from the wheel.

27. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Lol losers buy degraded crap meanwhile alphas who drive 1995-2012 can't stop winning

28. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>How do you guys feel about cars without physical HVAC controls

it's utterly moronic pointless and illogical

29. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dunno but it's hilarious to see the cycle of
    >Our upmarket car has futuristic touchscreens instead of cheap plastic switches the plebs use
    Then:
    >Our upmarket car has luxurious mechanical buttons instead of those cheapo touchscreens penny pinching automakers use

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Reminds me of streaming services. They were pushed as a way to "cut the cord" from cable and now there's dozens of them so they're bundling them together to basically create cable again.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Not really. You just subscribe to one or two services at a time, and watch what you want, then switch over to another. You don't need to be subscribed to them all. Way cheaper than cable.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

come again?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>mommy mommy, I wanna watch frozen!
            >ok hold on I just need to download the hdr version, then downmix the audio, and then transfer it to a USB Flash druvr. It will only take a few hours.
            >but at Sarah's house they can watch movies instantly in the Disney app. Why can't we have the Disney app?
            >because it's too expensive, now just be patient.
            >*hours later and 30 minutes through Frozen*
            >mom I'm bored of Frozen. Can I watch Incanto?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That sounds like a good thing. Kids should learn patience.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Why? There's no advantage except the price of a single hamburger saved per month.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It takes 10 minutes to do this

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No it doesn't.
            Torrent download at 30MB/s at best: 10 minutes. Usually much slower so it takes much longer
            Downmixing: Depending on PC can take 10 minutes to an hour
            Transfer to USB drive: 10-40 minutes

Took me 2 hours total for Dune 2.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Just use plex or emby or jellyfin. It changes the format on the fly depending on the capabilities of the device you're watching on. And if you can follow a basic tutorial you can set up things like radarr and sonarr to auto download new episodes as they come out, or movies when they're released.

Paying for streaming services is for normies.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Torrent download at 30MB/s
            kek, how's it feel living in the third world?

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I can tell sonarr to download a movie and add it to my Plex server faster than most morons with kids can even figure out which streaming service has whatever crap their autistic spawn wants to watch today.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Git gud, I stream torrents

No it doesn't.
            Torrent download at 30MB/s at best: 10 minutes. Usually much slower so it takes much longer
            Downmixing: Depending on PC can take 10 minutes to an hour
            Transfer to USB drive: 10-40 minutes

Took me 2 hours total for Dune 2.

>Torrent download at 30MB/s at best: 10 minutes.
            That's bluray quality, streaming platforms like Netflix are much lower quality than that.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>mommy mommy, I wanna watch frozen!
          >ok hold on I just need to download the hdr version, then downmix the audio, and then transfer it to a USB Flash druvr. It will only take a few hours.
          >but at Sarah's house they can watch movies instantly in the Disney app. Why can't we have the Disney app?
          >because it's too expensive, now just be patient.
          >*hours later and 30 minutes through Frozen*
          >mom I'm bored of Frozen. Can I watch Incanto?

My Plex server downloads what I want automagically in 4k HDR with Atmos audio and can serve it to any device, converting it if needed. For the end user, it just werks
          If you're still fricking around with usb sticks and hdmi cables you're a tech illiterate Black person

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you seem very dependent on technology. must suck

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>hurr durr doing something well must mean you're dependent on it
            You seem clueless on how to pirate properly

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>you seem very dependent on technology
            Which coconut did you post this from?

30. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A true luxury car car should monitor your temperature, breathing, sweating, heart rate etc and choose the optimal temperature for you.

31. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Honestly, I really hate it, and no shifter fricks with me. One of the few real buttons is the one to put it in park, or you roll till you get used to it, grrrr
    Electric steering is dead, feels like my mom's Elantra. And the ipad, holy frick all, they're all like this and I fricking hate it, I hate the entire world right now, everything, new cars, you buttholes, our governments, everything, clown world! Frick!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

they made the steering wheel so much worse with this facelift too

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Holy shit that (alleged) wienerpit is grim.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Please tell me that lcd monitor is some aftermarket job obscuring the actual dash.

32. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

People are now adding physical buttons back to cars that don't have them, so there's definitely a pushback.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

as much as this board hates hyundai and kia, they're going back to physical buttons and knobs.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/buttons-are-back-hyundai-and-genesis-admit-style-overrode-safety-with-the-removal-of

33. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

mine has buttons for everything except the vent selection. It's dumb as hell but honestly not that much of a problem because there is a button you can push that brings up the climate controls so it's a 2 press action. Still wish they would have just made that button the vent selection button though.

34. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>be dodge
    >make physical ac controls for temp, compressor on/off, fan power and window defrost
    >just missing one button for changing the vent mode
    >it's in the touchscreen under the climate -> vent mode screen
    >if you're on the radio screen you need to click the climate button then go to the vent mode section just to select what vent mode you want by hand
    >no way to simply dial in a selection or run through the available options
    >you have to take your eyes off the road to look at the screen to poke the desired vent mode
    >this is literally the only function that works this way
    >there is a selection dial and an enter button but they only control track/folder browsing and selection in the music device menu even when you're not looking at it, and can't be used to select anything else on the screen.
    I hope whoever designed uconnect gets ass cancer

35. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>driving
    >want to change radio volume
    >tap screen to wake
    >try to take back while driving
    >barely hit the media button while driving my vehicle
    >constantly glance back and forth trying to locate the two tiny plus and minus buttons for the volume while driving
    >tap and hold the volume button
    >it wants you to keep tapping it
    >while driving
    >so my finger bounces around and loses the button so I have to turn all my direction to the fricking iPad glued to my dash
    >finally change the volume
    >caused a 50 car pile-up
    At least I changed my volume

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

They'll claw my physical volume knob from my cold, dead hands.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I used to think this wasn't an issue, until I got a car without a rotary volume knob, just virtual up/down on the touchscreen and physical buttons on the steering wheel. You'd think this would be sufficient but it isn't. If you want to quickly turn the volume up or down you can't. Press the buttons too quickly and they only respond to the first press. You have to frickin game it and press at the correct interval like you're playing Daley Thomsons Decathlon on the C64. Such a little thing yet so so so annoying, and means I spend most of the time just listening to my music more quietly than I'd like. This, and touch panels with buttons without any physical dividers (Nissan Ariya/Kia EV6) are genuine dealbreakers for me now, I'm not gonna put myself through it on any daily in future.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What moronic vehicle did you buy that has a touch screen infotainment system but no simple volume control on the steering wheel?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I didn't buy it. My mom had some lexus shitover. She hated it and sold it.

36. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just drive with the window down. I only bother with hvac in winter.

37. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Dont like screens, glad my new chevy truck has buttons.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *