how do you shift from say 6th gear to 2nd gear?

how do you shift from say 6th gear to 2nd gear?
every time I try this, I either have to shift to neutral and slow down all the way first, or I have to pull the stick down firmly for some time until it slides in
>inb4 you're breaking the syncro
yes that's why i don't do that and i'm asking

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

you're supposed to double clutch your synchros aren't fast enough to deal with it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I have tried that, and it didn't help. I put it neutral with the clutch out for a second or so then tried to shift and it was still hard. is that for upshifting or downshifting?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

you also have to rev match it but if you're above redline in 2nd from being in 6th, you can't do it

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

oh now it makes sense i think
          you rev it in neutral right? kind of scary to try that out at a turn though...

1) why
          2) as said double clutch rev match is the only way unless you have a personal vendetta against your transmission

>why
          is there a better way? every time I drive to work there's this 1 turn off a highway that's always 50mph down to 15mph in a relatively short turn lane. if I do the turn in neutral then shift to 2nd after it feels kind of sketchy

Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should.

he said the thing

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

yes just blip the throttle all the way to the floor when you're shifting, and then when you're at the rpms you need for 15mph in 2nd gear, clutch-in, shift to second, and release. it should slide in effortlessly. you'll get the hang of it if you practice. you don't have to blip it as much if you're shifting between closer gears.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>50mph down to 15mph in a relatively short turn lane
            Nothing is stopping you from slowing down while you're in the 50 mph zone.
            Turn on your turn signal ahead of time and brake smoothly so anyone behind you is aware you're slowing down.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

people treat that like brake checking and rage at you. most people are going straight ahead

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No they won't.
            If there's a turn coming up, you put your turn signal on before hand. They will know you're slowing down for an upcoming turn.
            If that makes them butthurt, that's their problem.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

pic related is when anon actually drives behind me and has to slow down for my turn on his way back from mcdonalds

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>you rev it in neutral right?
            Yeah. You give the throttle a little press while depress the clutch.
            You can also ride the clutch until it naturally rev matches.
            Boomers will tell you that's bad and will burn your clutch. But honestly you'll be fine to do it for a little until everything else becomes second nature and you have more mental bandwidth to focus on other things.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Boomers will tell you that's bad and will burn your clutch
            Boomers don't know shit. Clutch disks are designed to withstand that type of slipping at lower RPMs almost indefinitely to support city driving. You could do that with a brand new clutch made since the 90s and easily get it to 100k+, given its not some torque monster of an engine.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I wouldn't say indefinitely, you'll smoke it somewhere between 2-5 minutes if done continuously

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>You can also ride the clutch until it naturally rev matches.
            t-this is a bad thing? that's usually how I downshift

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It just puts some additional wear on your clutch.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>I put it neutral with the clutch out for a second or so then tried to shift and it was still hard.
        Is this a typo or did you actually not press the clutch back in when you tried to put it back in gear?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

obviously

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

1) why
    2) as said double clutch rev match is the only way unless you have a personal vendetta against your transmission

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

there's mechanical limits to what the synchros can synchronize. You trying to go to 2nd from 6th without slowing down is really pushing it.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>sixth gear to second gear
    don't do that you moron. if you're coasting to a slow situation from 6th that requires you to accelerate in 2nd just row through the gears one at a time like you don't hate your synchros. if that's too much for you just coast in neutral like boomers do. then when you need to drop into 2nd to accelerate give it a blip so the transmission has to do less work. if you aren't able to do this last one your 2nd gear synchro might be trashed.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>just row through the gears one at a time
      not sure but I don't think there's enough time even if I didn't suck at it. the turn lane is less than 100 feet it should really be like 50% longer or something

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

if you know your turn is coming up just downshift ahead of time? you can't plan 10 seconds ahead?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Then just slow down via engine braking, and then when you get to the appropriate mph where 2nd gear is adequate, shift into second. Its not that hard and pretty fricking intuitive.
        What I'm imagining is that you're coasting on the highway at 70mph, then need to quickly slow down on an exit to 25?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

if you know your turn is coming up just downshift ahead of time? you can't plan 10 seconds ahead?

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

in what world are you going from mpg 70mph gigacoast to go go go

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

well it's more like 55mph. they call them 'stroads' I believe. pretty common in semi urban hellscapes in the us like where I work.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

If your car doesn't want to go from 6th gear to 2nd, try 3rd instead. Your car is literally communicating to you what it likes and what it doesn't. Learn to listen to it

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Revmatch you moronic homosexual

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>durr how i downshift
    Blip throttle to revmatch, moron-kun.
    >6th to 2nd
    Unless you're braking very hard to the point its in any way appropriate to drop 4 gears all at once maybe try revmatching into 3rd instead, moron-kun.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Aren't you taught this shit in driving school?

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Can you detail the scenario where you have to go from sixth to second that you're asking in?
    You treat it different when you're panic braking to avoid a crash, and when you're slowing down because you're about to hit a traffic jam.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Student driver here. I'm curious, at what speed both RPM and wheels are you trying to shift into second?

Also, exactly what is double clutching supposed to do? It doesn't seem to make a difference when I do it, but it might be because I'm a noob moron.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i think if you are shifting up a lot of gears then shifting to neutral first slows down the transmission quickly

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

for unsynchronised gearboxes doubel clutching is essential. for synchro gearboxes which is nearly every passenger car made after 1930, it's optional, but a good thing to learn and also reduces wear on the synchroniser rings that would normally be used to match the gear speed with the engine speed. the synchros basically operate much like a cork and a bottle; you push the cork in to the bottle until becomes tight enough that the bottle is now moving with the cork when you try to turn it.
      done right, a perfect double clutch and rev match will let the shifter glide into gear with practically zero resistance. in fact at that point you could just shift it into gear without even clutching.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Brakes are cheaper than a clutch
    Use the brakes

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>6
    >5
    >4
    >3
    >2
    Why would you go from 6th all the way to second in one jump anyways?

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

actually I just thought of this, if I just push it into each gear while coasting (clutch in) 6-5-4-3-2 it will use all 4 syncros and go in 2nd easily? is that better?

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Use your brakes, moron. By the time you're going slow enough you should be able to get it in 2nd just fine.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

[...]

you don't know what you're talking about

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

It's definitely a money shift

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

2nd gear goes to 65mph in my car you utter fool

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous