How much money do I save by driving slower?

How much money do I save by driving slower?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

20%

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

My car maximizes MPGs at 60 mph.
    Going 75 mph destroys my fuel economy, but that's the speed of traffic.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Talking about specifically highway speeds BTW.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What kind of 2 speed automatic are you driving? Ive never had a car that got worse mpg at 90 than 60. And ive driven all types of cars

• 3 weeks ago
        Steve

Thats moronic. You're moronic
        The difference in wind resistance and 60 and 90 is big

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You're moronic. I measure my MPG nearly every trip. If anything, faster is better.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>If anything, faster is better.
            At some point it stops being so.

My E60 530i has better fuel economy than my fricking 525d E61 at 140kmh (86mph)

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>magneto with no advance

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Wind resistance is quadratic, that's mathematically impossible. The horsepower to maintain a 60mph speed is about half what's required to maintain a 90mph speed. If your measurements are staying the same between both then you either measured wrong, or you have terrible throttle discipline at 60 but excellent at 90. There are no vehicles capable of maintaining 100% relative efficiency while increasing speed by 50%.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

You could always deploy sails conditionally

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Lmao, true. Wind speed would have to be considerable for it to seriously matter, and if it's not a tailwind the benefit would be questionable. I'd love to see it though.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Ive never had a car that got worse mpg at 90 than 60.
        lying. It's physically impossible unless your car was geared by morons who made it so that overdrive is too low to use at 60mph that you're not burning more fuel to go 90mph than 60mph.

Fd=1/2ρv^2CdA

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Wind resistance is quadratic, that's mathematically impossible. The horsepower to maintain a 60mph speed is about half what's required to maintain a 90mph speed. If your measurements are staying the same between both then you either measured wrong, or you have terrible throttle discipline at 60 but excellent at 90. There are no vehicles capable of maintaining 100% relative efficiency while increasing speed by 50%.

My suburban is geared for a 240 MPH top speed, so maybe I should use a 7:1 final drive to make it comply from your over simplified math?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

69 nova blown 572 powerglide 5.13s with a 28" tire

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Pics?

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Almost every car is optimized for that kind of efficiency, other anon is just moronic and cannot do math.

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

depends how much you lose by wasting your time
    the more money you make per hour (not including passive income) the more you lose when you drive slow
    also the less you drive the less the difference

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Outside working hours you're not making any money. Also, progressive taxation makes sure you ain't earning any more even if you do decide to work 80 hours. The median worker already has marginal tax of ~50%

4. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If you can't do the math you shouldn't be allowed to drive a car

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I just did the math. I save a considerable amount. It's for pizza delivery. WAGMI!!!!!!

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's reasonable. For lowest paid jobs it can be really important to cut those extra losses eating into the already shit pay

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It's not good 1.

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

That's reasonable. For lowest paid jobs it can be really important to cut those extra losses eating into the already shit pay

When delivering pizzas, its important to be quick. Faster delivery= better tips and more deliveries. Plus I waste my money on driving fast so I might as well combine that with work

5. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

* more slowly
    You are describing a verb, so you have to use an adverb.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The language is so confusing. How do you say the word godot?

6. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

More important is driving in the right gear. Going 50mph instead of 60 won't save anything if you're on second gear. That said the 10mph drop has usually net me 20-25% savings on fuel

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Yeah but 2nd gear redline is at 55 MPH so driving at 60 mph in 2nd would void the warranty and cause damage

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Redline isn't the self-destructs-immediately zone, it's just a line where no more power is received no matter the rpm. Inspection office routinely maxes out throttle to check engine safety checks. Also, my 20yr shitbox probably doesen't have warranty anymore

7. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

6.8 E350 gets 15 at 65 and 11 at 80. 30 gallon tank, that's almost 30% just at constant speed

8. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Insurance made you get a tracker?

9. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most cars are geared in such a fashion as to be most efficient at 45-65 mph.

People who do shitty things like drive at 30mph in 50mph zones are likely wasting fuel, especially if its in a hilly area.

10. 3 weeks ago
    Panda5

Suppose you drive 40 miles a day.
    Driving "fast" might get you 26 mpg, where driving conservatively 28 mpg (assuming non-turbo).
    I'm going to go with my current local gas price ($3.30).
    That 2 mpg saves you 37 cents a day. So $7-8 a month.
    Consider that a soda at gas stations is $2.25, and you'll see that those mpg savings aren't worth being bored as shit on your commute.

11. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

depends on your car. Commute at your normal speed for a couple of days then at the speed you want to try using for a couple of days and see what your difference in fuel economy is.
    /thread

12. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

thread/
    reopened teh thread for you guys. guy above me accidentally closed it

13. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Nothing meaningful, unless your vehicle drinks down fuel to the point where 10 mpg is the best it can manage on any given day.

14. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

None. I found out I get the best fuel economy in my muscle car at highway speed so I try to drive that speed everywhere and anywhere

15. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

[...]

This is basically it. Ever tow with a gasser? My wife's 5.0 pulling our travel trailer gets about 10 mpg around 55-60mph. By 70 mph it's under 7mpg. At $4/gal to make the math easy, that's a 1000 road trip in almost 17 hours for $400 or in still over 14 hours for >$170 more. To say nothing about the incremental heat and therefore wear on various components. Considering it's generally leisure time and time with my family in the truck is about as good as time spent at home or a camp site, I generally choose the slower pace.

16. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Since this thread is being post-bombed by morons, I suggest you check out ecomodder.
    https://www.ecomodder.com/forum/

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

How long is a piece of string? Best way to save fuel is look ahead so you can minimise needing to brake and not accelerate up to hazards that’ll require lower speed to safely pass. That’s all. Other than that, it’s not worth the stress. Go with the flow of traffic. Make sure your tire pressures are correct. Use the right fuel (octane/cetane rating etc). Do proper maintenance. A good Italian tune up once a week will help get rid of carbon build up and ensure the engine runs at peak efficiency in general. Throw out any unnecessary weight you’re carrying around. Downsize to a smaller car or at least one with better aerodynamics if you’re in a truck or something. This sort of thing will have a much better impact than simply slowing down. Of course you can do that too but cars exist to get people to places quickly so what’s the point of driving painfully slowly? Just be reasonable you know

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

While you may save a few cents, you agitate drivers around you causing them more fuel costs and more damage to the environment.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *