How much of a mistake is a ~2000 Porsche boxster ?

How much of a mistake is a ~2000 Porsche boxster ? Let's assume the first thing you do is pay a shop to replace the IMS bearing

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You could have instead bought a frog and put a k series or 2ar in it and had double the reliability at half the price

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

A swapped car is going to be less reliable than a stock Porsche

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

out of your mind little Afghanistan ricer. Don't ever compare your piece of shit rental spec skidbox to anything powered by a K. Dumbass

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Nice frog man, wish I could swap something into mine but I live in one of the most anti-car countries of the anti-car union so I just have to cope with what I have

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>just swap your car!
      >then it will be reliable

Anon, have you ever done an engine swap to put a Honda engine in a Toyota?

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

No but mine has a 2zz swap and a k swap is very well supported. Have you been under a zzw30? The car is so barebones its not even funny. Its like if you chopped a matrix in half and switched it around and then cut off the top and took out half the interior. A kswap is basically oem reliable as long as your wiring is good

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They're a bit more expensive to maintain but not a mistake.

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

This is more than 20 years Old sports car with engine which is not as durable as M50 or 2JZ - if you are unlucky you May end up with a bottomless moneypit.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

If you can afford expensive repairs (compared to the average) it's not a mistake at all. Best would be finding an independent mechanic that works on Porsches and knows his shit.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The ims bearings is the only problem these have. You're just gonna pay a bit more because of the complexity of the car, and porsche parts are a bit more expensive than average (also higher quality). Great sports car you can even drive these things in the snow.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>mcdonalds
    >fried eggs
    >boat handling
    >gm tier interior
    >cracked plastic windows
    >90s wheels
    >slow

Why would you buy this? Get a 135i or an S4

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

S4 is a fricking boat, no amount of multi-link magic can fix terminal audisteer

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The sport diff fixes it. The 986 boxster however needs a complete suspension overhaul

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

You're not getting a new enough generation of S4 to have the sport diff and an engine that won't bankrupt you instantly for 986 money

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You’re not getting a Porsche that drives good and won’t bankrupt you for 986 money either.
            Sorry, just let it go. Not worth it

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Buy one and 2.7t swap it and you will have a legitimately fast little shitbox

Move the lower rearward front control arms into the outer hole in the subframe to double the caster to about 6.5 degrees and be amazed how the audisteer is completely eliminated on a car with otherwise completely stock suspension (including wimpy rear swaybar)

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>completely eliminated
          kekkin, post toolbox oh wait you've never touched a wrench LAMO kys

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

You're absolutely right sir. Other anons might recognize the car to the left thats also engine swapped.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous
          • 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Why the extra length and height of the VR6 over the 2.7TT?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Few reasons
            1: 3.6 liters is more than 2.7
            2: easier to service or frick with (besides timing LOL)
            3: i wanted to try my hand at direct injection tuning
            4: my buddy needed a core 2.7t
            5: if i wanted big power out of the 2.7t it was gonna be a big commitment in rods/machine work/clutch which Id have to do with the vr6 anyway
            6: wookie noises

Definitely not the best shape for where the weight ends up but the 3.6 is actually a little bit lighter than the 2.7, the front end is sitting noticably higher

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Oh right, 3.6 VR6s aren't total unobtanium for you guys. Here that was only offered in the Passat R36 for a few years, and a detuned version in the Skoda Superb, which nobody bought because they were way too expensive for their target customer base.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>boat handling

Everyone in this thread talking shit about the 986 has never driven any Porsche and doesn't understand car basics aka morons

The 986 is really good handling and as real as a Porsche could get considering its the spiritual successor to the 550 spyder

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Based
      >Get a 135i or an S4
      moron

The sport diff fixes it. The 986 boxster however needs a complete suspension overhaul

>complete suspension overhaul
      you put some bushes and dampers on there and it's still McDonald's LAMO

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>just get worse handling sedans that also cost a lot to upkeep
      I knew the macpherson memester was moronic, but fricking hell this is worse than usual.

https://i.imgur.com/Fopqyfh.jpeg

Is that the V6 swapped Focus?

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>just pay a shop to replace the IMS bearing
    Bring $5k.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Just don’t bother with a 986. Obviously it’s some poor gay wanting a Porsche badge. But this Porsche is just bad. Just don’t bother with it OP. It’s fricking not good. It’s not worth the money or hassle. It’s not a good drive. It’s not fast, it’s not comfortable, it’s not cheap.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>Let's assume the first thing you do is pay a shop to replace the IMS bearing

IF the IMS is fixed they're solid cars

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

huge mistake. they're pretty crap when used

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

not a good idea there are much better options,this is for people who are broke but want to feel rich by having a car with a porsche badge

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

It will bore score and there's nothing you can do about it. It's not if but when, and it requires putting an new engine in until that one does.
    https://lnengineering.com/products/watercooled-porsche-cylinders-sleeves-and-pistons/porsche-cylinder-bore-scoring/porsche-bore-scoring-sound.html

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

As they always say, if you can't afford it new you can't afford it used.

13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Unless it's the newest gt3 rs there's no point In buying Poorsche

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Literally all the engines from that period will bore score. This will inevitably destroy the engine and the repair bill will be double the value of the car.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

alright y'allve convinced me not to touch these.

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

a brz-gr86 would be faster and more reliable

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *