How much should I charge my brother for damaging my car?

Long story short, my brother kicked in the front grille of my 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear and he's facing criminal charges for assault and destruction of property. If I ask him for money, he may ask me to ask the court to drop the charges (regardless, of if I want idk if I can since it's the state charging him, not me). Anyway, I need money, so what would be a fair amount to ask from him?

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

New idea; the cost of repairing your grill is the price you pay to get freedom from this savage. Block and ignore. Access to your life is a privilege which he has lost.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I'm thinking I probably won't repair it since I want to get a more reliable car anyway, but I do need the money pretty badly. As for blocking and ignoring him, I'd love to but I live with him at least for now (Massachusetts is a financial dystopia). He was planning on skipping court and fleeing the state, so if he still does that hopefully I won't have to deal with him again.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>I live with him
        You are fricked. Or a liar.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm thinking I probably won't repair it since I want to get a more reliable car anyway, but I do need the money pretty badly. As for blocking and ignoring him, I'd love to but I live with him at least for now (Massachusetts is a financial dystopia). He was planning on skipping court and fleeing the state, so if he still does that hopefully I won't have to deal with him again.

Also maybe get a restraining order so you can get him off the lease without being FRICKED by your landlord for breaking.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I got one before but it expired. As for right now, if I do that again, my mom will probably kick me out. I still live with her because the rent in this state is outrageous and there is no way I can afford it with my measly pay.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The former. I had to get a restraining order against him before and I bought pepper spray, which I had to use in that incident since this state doesn't afford me any other legal means of defending myself.

Cut him out of your life, make sure the relevant law enforcement knows he's got a violent record, and acquire a means to defend yourself.

The local cops don't care, unfortunately. Already got pepper spray though. If he doesn't leave the state, there's no way for me to cut him out completely.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>pepper spray
            lmao, get a gun

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I would like to get a gun in case he wants to kill me, which is not that implausible of a scenario, but Massachusetts is trash for guns and I'm not even old enough to get a pistol (you have to be 21 to get a handgun). I would use a baton and/or taser as well but the former is illegal and the latter requires a gun license.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Demand $10k. Prosecute him hard. Emotional stress and whatever. Then watch your back when he gets out of jail.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

He couldn't even pay that if I wanted him to, but I probably could press my own charges instead of just the state dealing with it and get more money if I have to. Unfortunately, like you were suggesting, he would probably try to murder me if I did that since he's quite unhinged and violent and has done things like this before.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Cut him out of your life, make sure the relevant law enforcement knows he's got a violent record, and acquire a means to defend yourself.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>2003 Saab 9-3 Linear
    UGLY SLOW GAY. I'm trans by the way.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

PRETTY FAST LINEAR. It does have a bunch of problems though

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Kek someone got offended that I called their ugly, slow, gay car ugly, slow, and gay. Nice.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Post your boyhole

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

You need to pay the troll toll to get into this boy's hole

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

If you get the opportunity, you should have a nice day, disgusting deformed degenerate.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Lol @ your ugly, slow, gay car whatever it is. Post your wheel gap so I can lol @ that too

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You have disgusting b***h breasts you troony frick

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

why are whitoids so heartless?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Are you saying I'm heartless or my brother is heartless? I don't have much of a choice as for whether the state charges him I don't think, but he is prone to violent and destructive outbursts.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

because blacks are 13 percent of the population in the US and commit 56 percent of the crime

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no offense man, but anon isn't your personal insurance claims adjuster. Get on google, find a used bumper/grill/whatever he broke and figure out the price plus shipping. Then, call a couple reputable body shops in the area and have them quote you for whatever work needs doing. Or, if you're inclined, just to paint anything that needs painted, and put the damn thing back together yourself.

If you're asking how much money he should give you for your emotional suffering, or some such bullshit, grow up, tell him to get his shit together, and boot him from your life; or don't. Figure it out.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

More of a mix of the two. I wasn't planning on fixing it since it's not worth the hassle, but I still want the money and I want a reasonable range to ask from him. Typically, compensation involves more than just repair costs as it includes things like the inconvenience and the very fact the assailant attacked me and/or my property. I have some ideas for how much to ask from him (between $200 and $500 is what I was thinking), but I wanted to get some second opinions to make sure it's fair.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Why would he pay you if he's being charged by the police? What is the incentive to pay? I feel like this is an either or situation. Either you are friends still and he pays you and no charges, or he refuses, gets charged, and you cut contact.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Well, yeah, that's part of the difficulty. I suspect he will expect me to ask the court to drop the charges. Whether I ought to ask the court that and whether the court will even drop the charges are serious considerations as well though. It's a very real possibility he refuses to pay especially if I tell him I might have little sway over what the state does with him. If it comes to that though I can always take him to civil court. Perhaps the only incentives he has is how he's perceived by the rest of his family, his conscience, me taking him to civil court, and me encouraging the state to press charges.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>living with someone who you are taking to court and trying to get money out of and had a restraining order against
            Enjoy the knife in your neck tonight you fricking moron.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The state's taking him to court, not me. I had a restraining order against him, but it expired. I don't right now. As for the knife to the neck part, yeah, that's a real possibility if the charges don't get dropped and/or if I don't try anything to get them dropped. Fortunately, that's why I have some weapons in my room and some boards to barricade my door.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Oh, so this is bait, I guess it's my fault for replying at all.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No, I'm being serious. I don't know what makes you think this is bait. I just wanted an estimate on what a reasonable amount would be to ask from him because I need the money right now.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>compensation involves more than just repair costs as it includes things like the inconvenience and the very fact the assailant attacked me and/or my property

Dude, come on. He didn't break your back running you over in the parking lot or something. "Compensation"??? It's a busted front end on your car. Maybe you need reminded, but in life, shit happens. Be a man. Take the money for the parts, or don't, that's up to you to decide. Forcing money out of him over car parts you aren't even planning on repairing makes you sound like a straight up b***h, and if you and I were friends irl, I'd seriously consider re-evaluating that stance. Besides, what it sounds like you're looking to do comes off a lot like what a guy like you're describing your brother to be would do. Be better.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but he attacked me and my car purposefully. He has attacked me and my brother before several times. He also threatened me several times. He also attacked and severely damaged my brother's car as well in a very similar incident. I had to board up my door because of his attacks and threats. He has tried to bang it down before. Because of this incident, I had to get a restraining order and the people he lived with hated him because they saw how rotten he was as a human.

I don't see what's wrong with me trying to get payment for the damage to my car. Just because I don't think the repair is worth it doesn't mean he can damage my property with no consequence.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

average massive israelite breasts household

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You have no idea how bad things really are.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/local-homeless-man-denied-access-to-migrant-shelter-in-massachusetts-video

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No, I'm being serious. I don't know what makes you think this is bait. I just wanted an estimate on what a reasonable amount would be to ask from him because I need the money right now.

Ok, well, to answer your question;
            the reasonable amount to ask for repairing your grill, whether you actually choose to, or not, is whatever price you can find on the internet for a replacement grill of equal quality.

The reasonable amount to ask for your regarding your busted-grill-related punitive and emotional damages is $000.00, US. I'd recommend insisting it be paid in non-sequential, unmarked wooden nickels

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

How about one hundred million dollars

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Albanian here. For me the natural resolution here is honor killing or, if you feel fancy, a duel to the death.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

lol a duel does sound pretty fun

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Film it and post it on TikTok. You'll make all the money you need

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>...
        >...
        >POW!! Haha!

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

have you ever thought of not being a fricking moron

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Do you perhaps have any oreos in the backseat? Some sort of oreo party occurrence?

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Get it fixed and hand him the bill. The court is going to want it anyway for restitution. If he pays for it you can drop the charges potentially, assuming it's not DV where the state pursues prosecution anyway. You could still show up and say you don't remember what happened or who did it, and they can't convict. You should've beat his ass.

*this is how the law and court work in my state in the US, the law may be different where you live

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Oh, that's not a bad idea if I have to take him to civil court. Thanks, for the helpful reply, though I don't think I'll lie to the court for reasons of conscience. Besides, my brother might very well end up doing something like this to someone else again, so the court will probably still pursue charges.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>calling the cops over your brother kicking your car
    No wonder he’s nuts, he has a terrible family. Tell the cops to drop the charges (for fricks sakes stop pretending like its out of your hands, its your property, this case disappears if you aren’t willing to take it any further) and then have the car fixed and kick him out. You won’t get any money if theres none to take, regardless of what the court decides.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

He's been like this for years. He did the same thing to my brother. He kicked his car in so bad the trunk wouldn't work. He threatened to shoot up a school before and had an ankle bracelet as a result. He threw a mug at my brother's head. He's assaulted and battered me several times before. He's broken computer monitors, refrigerators, microwaves, PlayStation controllers, and doors with his fits of rage. I could go into more detail, but I hope my point is clear.

As for me, I can't kick him out and he does have enough money to pay me for the grille. Also, it is out of my hands because it's the state charging him for destruction of property and assault. They didn't ask me if I wanted to press chargd0mdes or not.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Oh i see, you all live with your mom. Fricking move, its not that hard, ask for a transfer if you have a real job for a national company.
        You can stop this. It literally just takes you not showing up to court or saying “i don’t recall” in response to whatever they ask you in court.
        I don’t understand how someone could watch 10 fast n furious movies and then call the cops on family. Disgraca!

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I work at Walmart and they keep cutting my hours because they don't like to hire people full time. Bear in mind that the private sector is in a recession. Reports about more job openings come from government reports that are full of lies and are later recalculated to be far lower than initially stated. The Mises Institute has made some good points about this. Also, my car is and unreliable piece of crap that couldn't be taken on any road trip and my savings are low. Moving is far easier said than done especially with the insane rent prices everywhere, not to mention other aspects of the cost of living.

>It literally just takes you not showing up to court or saying “i don’t recall” in response to whatever they ask you in court.
          Refer to what I said earlier about lying and all that.

>I don’t understand how someone could watch 10 fast n furious movies and then call the cops on family. Disgraca!
          I don't watch Fast and Furious. I'd prefer to not get the cops involved but I have little recourse besides the legal route.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

maybe 100 bucks? unless it has a different piece from all the other gm saabs

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *