How tf do I use an octane booster? Do I just dump it in the gas tank? The gas tank is full, btw.

How tf do I use an octane booster? Do I just dump it in the gas tank? The gas tank is full, btw. Literally zero instructions on the bottle.

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Take it to Walmart and tell them to give you a refund.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

My fricking engine is dieseling the frick else am I supposed to do, pay a mechanic?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

take the dieselpill anon

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>My fricking engine is dieseling the frick else am I supposed to do
        Turn down boost? Stop driving like a Black person? Buy the actual 91 or 93 you're supposed to be running?

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

It's a number's matching 69 mustang. It's naturally aspirated (obv) and I'm running 93 octane. I WAS running Rec 90 but figured stepping up to 93 would work. Now I'm trying an Octane booster.

Dial the idle timing back a hair and/or reduce the idle mixture.

I dialed the timing back by 12 and it didn't unfrick it, but it did make it run like a dog. And by dog I mean a fricking french bulldog imbred genetic disaster.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>numbers matching
            You felt so inclined to share that irrelevant piece of information that I'm inclined to believe youre a wrenchlet homosexual. Why not just take it to the shop with the same money (from daddy) you bought the car with?

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>Peanut butter and jealous

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

maybe, but those crunchy bits are truth nuggets

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what engine is it? 289? 302? 351? theres no way you comp ration demands more then 93. unless its like a 429.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

High octane stuff tends to have more ethanol, your classic really will benefit from sticking with the rec90. good luck fixing whatever actual issue you have. Are you sure it's evenly a problem on all cylinders? Fricking with the fuel won't fix cylinder #5 leaning out because of a gasket issue.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Dieseling on an old carb engine means your timing is too advanced, idle is set too high, or she's running pig rich. Your ""numbers matching"" does not need high octane at all, something is askew. I run my SBC with 9.6:1 on fricking 87.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

This makes me wonder. My Pa rebuilt the engine probably 5 years ago, or rather had it rebuilt. I don't think it had been run since, aside from the last few months. I'm a dumbass when it comes to car shit and just go off what I can learn and what various local mechanics tell me, hence trying an octane booster. The damn thing runs beautifully when I'm driving, but can be slow to start and idles around 500. I have no idea if this is where it's supposed to be. I tried dropping the timing back and it didn't do anything to stop the problem. Current tank of gas is probably 50/50 rec90 and 93 octane.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you can do a compression test to eyeball the compression ratio, if it tops out near 200 you're probably 10:1, while 160 or 170 is lower and you don't need high-octane fuel. Or you could just ask your Pa.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Idle should be higher, 600 is a friendlier street number. Is it blowing black or stinks of raw fuel from the exhaust? If that thing is high comp and has a rowdy cam, you'd know it just off sound. Start with basics, check spark/plugs/wires, and verify the carb isn't the issue.

• 3 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>I dialed the timing back by 12
            That’s significant. What is your idle timing now?

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Dial the idle timing back a hair and/or reduce the idle mixture.

• 3 weeks ago
          Anonymous

bro it's not 1973 anymore, distributors arent a thing

• 3 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What engine for what car? It could need acorns because the carbon is keeping the valves open. Happened on my w124 merc.

2. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it's on the bottle stupid. the label peels open where the instructions are

3. 3 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>How tf do I use an octane booster?
    You must use it with as empty a gasoline tank as you can. A few gallons of fuel and no more.

Otherwise, it is cheaper to boost octane by buying the higher octane fuel. This is because a full gas tank is 14 gallons or more. That tiny bottle of octane booster is not a liquid that is pure "octane" (as if such a substance existence). But let's say it is 115 octane liquid. How many ounces is it? Diluted by the 14 gallons of fuel already in the car, the amount of octane change in the entire gas tank only went up a fraction of whole number.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you have something else going on that more octane won't fix if 93 can't control "dieseling" without a severe timing reduction

maybe your choice of plugs are too hot or your carb isn't set up correctly

>pure "octane" (as if such a substance existence)
      good god you're a dumb one.

• 3 weeks ago
      Anonymous

you have something else going on that more octane won't fix if 93 can't control "dieseling" without a severe timing reduction

maybe your choice of plugs are too hot or your carb isn't set up correctly

>pure "octane" (as if such a substance existence)
      good god you're a dumb one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *