how the frick do you guys afford this as a hobby?

how the frick do you guys afford this as a hobby? I wanted to get something that's a bit more of an enthusiast car, but can't justify the expense. Even a few grand on a beat up Miata doesn't seem financially reasonable move.

CRIME Shirt $21.68

Black Rifle Cuck Company, Conservative Humor Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It's gotten expensive lately, you used to be able to get running and driving shitboxes for $500 every day, but that's shot up to like 1500 or 2000. Thanks flippers!
    >miat
    lower your prospects. an old accord or manual civic can be had for nothing. miatas are meme cars at this point and memes drive prices.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

get a panther body for $3k

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

panthers can be had for $1500 from junkyards who try to sell running cars before junking them

Cobalt SS Supercharged for $5,000

you could get an actually good car for that money. lmg, 4spd auto only?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

5 spd manual?

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Cobalt SS Supercharged for $5,000

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

>just get this car which they produced 759 of ever and is actually generally listed around 6k
      The option is VW with the ea888 4cyl engine, there is no other car you can get for less than 4-5k that actually exists in the used car segment thats faster. Then for for a couple hundred bucks a flash tune will take you 100ftlbs and 100hp higher with no bolt ons. No other car in the shitbox category can beat a VW in value.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It's a hobby, you have to be willing to blow money unnecessarily. The justification is that it makes you happy.

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>doesn't seem financially reasonable move.
    t.ramsey victim

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

That's why it's called a hobby.

Just like any other hobby, it's something you throw money away on to make you happy, pass time, or enjoy. Just like wood/metal working or painting is a hobby.

If you can't afford it then get a better job

7. 1 week ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

The car itself is the least expensive part of the hobby, the most expensive part is buying a house with a large garage and space to store multiple cars and buying expensive tools like welders and mills lathes, presses, lifts etc

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

>welders and mills lathes, presses, lifts
      all optional.

• 7 days ago
        [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

It’s only optional if you’re not serious about cars

• 6 days ago
        Anonymous

theyre required but people should try to do what im doing and rent part of a shared shop space
        having all that stuff and it sitting idle almost 24/7 is a waste

• 6 days ago
          Anonymous

this offseason i need to spend a bunch of weekends removing all my sad destroyed 25 year old rubber bushings and then pressing in poly ones
          labor on that would cost as much as the shitboxes posted ITT

• 6 days ago
            Anonymous

not that you can trust pro shop labor
            heres a local very reputable speed shop that forgot to torque down both the lower shock bolts knowing this would be going 10/10 on track

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I started working in a trade and stopped giving a frick about the costs. Ended up spending nearly $70k in 6 years mostly on tires and gas. This was back when you could get a decent FD for $15k

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I have worked extraordinarily hard with my wife to eliminate nearly all of our debt. Our combined income is nearly 200k with only 48k in yearly bills. Three of our four cars are paid off and easy to budget for.

I have one heavily modified vehicle and my wife has one heavily modified vehicle. Both are purpose built off roaders that can also double as commuters when necessary. I've been extremely particular about not overbuilding our cars so that they cannot be used on the road. That's paid off quite a bit in recent months as the one not paid off vehicle had six weeks of down time for warranty work, my muscle car ate a camshaft and is parked, and my truck required an injection pump replacement.

I have nearly 10k in personal savings that I'm about to burn for both my truck and my car's repairs. The car is getting an entire built top end to deal with the cam issue. I deliberately saved and waited to modify it for this eventuality. Once it gets back from the shop, it'll be making roughly 430rwhp and its issues will be eliminated. In the meantime, I still have other, fun cars to enjoy while I wait.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

you sound like a turbo consumerist and it is disgusting

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

I would fricking love for you to explain the mental gymnastics it took to get to that conclusion.

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Cars is an expensive hobby.

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I didn't even bother with cars until I got a middle class career going. Get into motorcycles instead. They're cheaper, easier to work on, require less tools, easier to store, and they're the auto enthusiast's endgame anyways.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

>they're the auto enthusiast's endgame
      what mean?

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

In north america, a motorcycle is usually built solely as a toy. They make almost no regard for practicality and are either style symbols, off-roaders, or the fastest fricking things you can buy for 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 grand. They have almost no nannies/concessions for a non-enthusiast user.

• 7 days ago
        Anonymous

If you crave the things that make fun cars fun like speed, acceleration, input responsiveness, and driver engagement, motorcycles are as good as it gets.

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

I do almost all maintenance work myself, have a barn full of tools, and pay everything cash.

Then I use man maths to justify ridiculous expenses.

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Cheap cars can be had. I had an Abarth 500, which is cheap to modify and purchase.

• 7 days ago
      Anonymous

neighbor sold his fully built bmw for two abarth, its pretty based

14. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Things are fricked now, I'm pushing 40 with a career and everything and even I struggle to stay in the car hobby, I can't imagine trying to get into it as a teen/early 20s now.

15. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

>thread on where to find cheap fast used cars and affordable project beaters.

I like this thread. We should make this a daily general.

16. 7 days ago
    Anonymous

you think this is expensive? What about golf, or fricking ocean fishing

17. 6 days ago
    Anonymous

I work fulltime and leech of my parents for housing and food

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *