HP/liter

Would your rather into 75hp/liter@5 liters or 115hp/liter@2 liters?

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

what demented state of mind would you have to be in to not pick the first one

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

May I direct you to /hg/ and /brzg/

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

mpg, weight
      for example

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have 22hp/liter at 5 liters
    How'd I do?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

AMC 304?
      Ford 302 in '75?
      Some kinda weird NA Diesel?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Chevy 305 in a '79

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Is that a LG3/LG4?

Didn't know they were rated that low. Or is that at the wheels on a dyno?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

120 hp at the wheels, so i guess 24hp/L. The TH350 slushomatic doesn't help. It's whatever they put in a '79 Firebird Espirit.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>TH350 slushomatic
            shift kit will wake that baby right up. might even chirp on those 120hp shifts into second

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It can squeak the Cooper Cobra G/T's as is. The SBC is no torque slouch

An Esprit, fricking sweet. Shame it's a dog but I can never not like a Firebird.

Pic attached

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

An Esprit, fricking sweet. Shame it's a dog but I can never not like a Firebird.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

AMC 304?
      Ford 302 in '75?
      Some kinda weird NA Diesel?

Chevy 305 in a '79

Ah the malaise era. Props on beating me to the bottom. -t. 180hp /7.5L

120 hp at the wheels, so i guess 24hp/L. The TH350 slushomatic doesn't help. It's whatever they put in a '79 Firebird Espirit.

Nvm we'll call it a draw.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>tfw only 76hp/L
    I cry about this every time I hit 60 in 4 flat

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What's funny is that the 5L probably weighs less and has better mpg than the 2L....

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

b5 s4 my beloved

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My eco box gets 187 hp/liter wtf are tel doing

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What eco box?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

toyota corolla

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

hp/L means absolutely nothing.
    Materials, coatings, tolerances, bearing choice, gearing, vehicle weight, the actual engine design, etc have a bigger impact on reliability than hp/L.
    Also you can't judge an engine by the amount of power it makes at one single RPM.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

for lulz i figured out my engine's hp/L is about 63.33.
      Power to weight ratio is
      >0.0984 kW/kg
      >0.0598 hp/lb
      >0.132 hp/kg

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>impact on reliability
      >RPM
      No one mentioned reliability. No one mentioned RPM. Wasted dubs. Go back to school.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Youre fricking moronic anon. HP/L, the worthless metric it is always defined at peak hp, hence at a specific rpm. Anon also cares about the rest of the power curve as that affects driveability. A nice healthy amount of torque down low makes for a smooth, fun ride. As for durability, Hp/L gays always claim that beyond some arbitrary point (usually based in the psychologic phenomena of anchoring) an engine is "overstressed". Just because a new turbo engine makes 150 more hp than your old Saab 900T doesnt mean its overstressed, its breaks because its a fricking Theta engine and Hyundai needs to kys.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>torque spikes at a single rpm all the way at the top of the rev range
          Imagine thinking this and calling someone moronic.
          Exceptions dont make the norm so dont go off googling some rich kids on a hail mary run slapping an oversized turbo on their billet block
          As for durability, how is an engine with the same diaplacement but pushing more power not more stressed? And imagine having your jimmies rustled by the word overstressed. You need a break from the internet homeboy

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I did not say that torque spikes at a single RPM at the top of the rev range. In the vast majority of engines peak torque is a bit before peak HP, and part of that is simply how HP is calculated but part is also about the efficiency envelope of an engine.
            An engine with the same displacement producing more power may be more durable (and hence not overstressed) by a more efficient/robust oiling system or bearing design, more durable block, head and rotating assembly design. Don't bolt the block together like a boxer engine. Don't run a pump that easily seizes off the timing chain. Dont have too large diameter of bearings but they should be wide enough. Have a sufficient number of bolts/studs between the head and block with a logical spacing. The block should be solid and thick enough in all needed areas, lightened where it isn't.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

the 115hp/l because it has a turbo and that can become 215hp/l for $4-6k

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Kg/hp is a better measure

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

no replacement for displacement

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I like high revving engines so 115hp/l engine is for me

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Brain damage

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

My Pontiac redlines at 4500 >:)

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

my alfa redlines around 6,2k and idles at around 1,4(when warmed up)

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

My Pontiac idles at 700 (600 in gear)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

looks like we both drive shitboxes
            nice

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I just bought another shitbox lmao
            Gonna cram a 455 in it and twist it in half.
            Will post pics

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I am considering supercharging my shitbox
            uncle has some kind of supercharger from some 4banger he doesnt need
            might nick it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Based.
            I already nabbed a 4barrel carb off some guys drag car with the BEEGEST jets there are.
            I'm gonna get my pilot's license in a Skylark

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i may not like american cars but man based

I know a dude who is putting volvo 5cyl turbo into an s chassis

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Never heard one of those turbo fives go balls to the wall. Would love to zip around in a little euro-car.
            Everybody around here is just Small Block Chevy or LS, and always in a damn pickup truck. I turn my head when I hear it comin' and am disappointed every time. But this time I'll show them, me and my barn find '72.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Would love to zip around in a little euro-car.
            Honestly my Fiat punto 1,2 8v is one of the most fun cars ive driven
            weighs less than 900 kilos
            stick and soft suspension.
            So much fun on the back roads even if you arent very fast.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I would have a turbo-250 Vega if they didn't all turn to dust in the 90's. Best I can do is try to make a muscle car into a rally car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Honestly if not for some moronic laws about car modding id be swapping turbo awd driveline into my alfa from top spec model.
            Or the best damned v6 ever made
            But now im stuck with 1,7L engine and next to no spare parts for it.
            still the engine likes to go
            very fun to drive

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

What country are you in?
            I would be doing all this to a nondescript 70's compact if God didn't just drop a bona fide muscle car in my lap. I just gotta get her dolled up enough to barely pass inspection.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Im slavgay.

Sleepers are kino.
            Best of luck with your madhouse thing

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Thanks hoss, n good luck with the 1.2L buzz box.

The 7.5 I'm getting for this thing only pushes like 225hp to the wheels stock. It thankfully makes up for it with 510 ft/lbs of raw, unfiltered TORK.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The punto will be scrapped
            spent last few years just sitting on grass
            gotta be rusted to death.
            Now if only I could finally deal with my alfa.
            My only car and it has shitloads of issues.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Iktf
            My only cars are a rusted to shreds field rescue Chevy pickup, and a temperamental Pontiac Firebird. I sold all my modern cars for parts and am falling for the "project daily" trap.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>project daily
            Man I bought my alfa with the goal of using it as my daily(i know its kinda moronic to buy old rareish car as daily)
            Now its kinda becoming a project.
            Which is one of the things demotivating me.
            If i wanted a project idve gone with other kinds of alfas.

I plan to take car for inspection
            Ill either pass(unlikely) or will get a definitive fix list.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Mine only requires inspections for new titles (and a boatload of cash lmao). This Buick has no keys, no title, and has been sitting since '86 in a forest. I have high hopes, but it's just another rustbucket for the to do list. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be one of those guys with like 35 cars on my lawn, two of which run.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

based.
            Similar idea crossed my mind recently
            That i should buy an old w123 merc diesel and bunch of them as donors
            and drive it for ever on anything that burns

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

My grandad has a whole pasture of GM scrap iron I can use for spares. I've always wanted to diesel swap something like a Camaro with that Oldsmobile diesel they made. They aren't expensive and the late gen ones actually fixed most of the bugs. Would love to tut about on filtered used oil.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

honestly just get old merc diesel.
            those things are immortal.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Would, but ordering parts from Deutschland sounds expensive, and finding old european anything in nowheresville, Great Plains is impossible. Any car older that about 2000 is guarunteed to be Big Three. Closest I've seen local is a '72 Opel Ascona, and an Opel GT one time, but everything else is Detroit pig iron. (I spose thr Opels are still GM lol)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yeah makes complete sense.
            ANd yeah old opel is GM

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So the point stands i guess.
            I really want to take a blow-thru carb and hook a turbo up to one of those useless "economy v8" motors from the 70's (Ford 302, Pontiac 301, Olds 260, etc) and run it full tilt till the bottom end shits big time.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

only in america a 4 litre engine is an economy engine

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Most of those are in the 5.0 liter range
            My 305 in the Firebird gets 18.5 mpg, which is fricking stellar compared to the 8-12 mpg of the all American Landyacht.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

but man I still find it funny that instead of making proper small fuel efficient engine the americans just choked the shit out of their normal engines.
            also I wonder why during the fuel crisis the americans didint just straight up import european models?
            Like ford couldve started selling ford europe models and gm had open
            instead they just slapped together some deathtraps

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Because they could use most of the tooling and parts they had for the big ol' V8's instead of RnDing a new motor (my 305 and a Chevy 350 are virtually identical apart from bore size), plus, union chicanery was at it's height in the 70's, and importing engines and transmissions, or even whole cars from Opel would mean lots of UAW guys out in the rain, which was unacceptable.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i mean it does make sense

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

400ft lbs of torque at idle is all I need.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>HP/liter
    is this some made up homosexual europoor unit like celsius?

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

HP/liter? More like Hitler

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm good where I am.
    >177 hp per liter @ 1.3 liters
    >peak power at redline

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This was cool until I saw it only makes 230 wheel. homie that's like a 100$ sbc from a junkyard with just a Chinese carb on it and no other parts changed.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yeah but the car weighs maybe 1,800 pounds at most. Also SBCs don't brap or pollute the air like I do.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>na 13b
          ISHYGDDT

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm not a masochist, I'll give you my 2 13bs if you help me with the LS swap lol

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You son of a b***h, I'm in

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

... no but seriously how much do you want for 'em?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Good thing you didnt show the tq. Imagine the amount of seething you'd get

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I would choose a more masculine metric to measure my engines performance.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

It's like golf, where the lowest score wins

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Idc about liters, tell me the weight difference and the difference in efficiency.

I'd take a 60hp/[email protected] LS1 over a 140hp/L turbo 13b, because the difference in weight is minimal at worst and the efficiency is better with the v8.

But I wouldn't take it if I'd be gaining 400lbs and getting 15mpg with the bigger engine.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'll take 200hp/litre thanks Tim

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *