I am a 30yo European man without a driver's license.

I am a 30yo European man without a driver's license.

I've lived in a capital city for most of my life where not having one is rather normal, since there's superb public transport and extremely expensive parking. However, circumstances have led me to move to a small town in the countryside, and I am currently FRICKED. I'll be getting my license the moment I can, but how do I begin to cultivate an interest in cars? I've never found them particularly interesting, but I do have the ability to get autistically obsessed with shit like this, as I've done it with computers and guns before.

So what do I do? Hang out with car guys and kick tires? Begin to lurk DA? I wanna be one of you. One with you.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Find an intrest you already have that intersects with cars.
    I liked welding so I welded an exhaust for my car and ever since then ive liked working on cars.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I really enjoy repairing old guns. Like 100+ years old. However, doing that requires being able to tell what issues the gun will have from a glance, and I have zero fricking clue where to begin picking up that skill for cars.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>gun
        >machine that converts chemical energy to mechanical movement through combustion
        >car
        >machine that converts chemical energy to mechanical movement through combustion
        It's literally the same exact thing lol just fix it like you would a gun

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You don't need to repair a car to wrench on it.
        You can mod it. Lot's of really easy shit you can do right away.

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>European
    You lost before you started playing. Buy some newer reliable commuter shitbox you don't have to worry about wrenching on and pick up a different hobby.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

try driving first
    look at cars and decide what's important to you and what do you not care about
    i personally think having a rwd manual car is a must have while rust/body issues and age are not factors in my purchase hence why i own 3 opels and a mercedes

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

amsterdam is dogshit, you'll be happier here. Anyway browsing this place will probably cause you to develop some interest in cars already. Watch some youtubers who work on cars and play some racing games, see what aspect(s) of cars interest you the most. Judging by your affinity for vintage guns and repairing them you might wanna look at some classic cars. European classics might not be the most prestigious but they sure are interesting.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Buy an old simple cheap beater like golf iv, peugeot 206, focus mk1 etc., try to get one that's not completely rusted out and make sure the engine is in decent condition. Small things will break all the time, parts will be cheap and you'll learn as you go.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

This except frick the Golf and Focus. Find a 206 GTi. Most underrated hot hatch ever created and they cost frick all. I swear to god that thing was built as a rally car first and then converted for street use. It's butt fricking ugly but that doesn't matter whne you're doing 130 kph through residential zones. Don't even bother trying to find a 180, the 140 is a blast.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice, anons.

https://i.imgur.com/iqDBTpx.jpg

This except frick the Golf and Focus. Find a 206 GTi. Most underrated hot hatch ever created and they cost frick all. I swear to god that thing was built as a rally car first and then converted for street use. It's butt fricking ugly but that doesn't matter whne you're doing 130 kph through residential zones. Don't even bother trying to find a 180, the 140 is a blast.

>peugeot 206
      Diesel or gas? I see both pop up.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

GTi specifically. 306 and 106 are also acceptable, better looking but older.
        Renault Clio/Twingo RS and Suzuki Swift Sport are good options too.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I don't see any GTi. A lot of 206+ though.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Any RC maybe? Even rarer, but less known.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nope. Found a 106 Rallye, if that's special.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

It is. The Rallye is the sportiest version of the 1.6 They gave it the suspension, engine etc of the GTi model but with the cheapest interior to save weight. It's basically built for racing.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>106 Rallye
            GET IT. GET IT NOW.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Gas, specifically the 2.0-16v.

I don't see any GTi. A lot of 206+ though.

Not all GTi models are listed as GTis. If it's a 2.0-16v and it has 138 hp, you got the right one.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Oh hey, found one. €6.4k, done 200,000+ km already.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you want the hatchback, this is one has 200kg extra weight, 200 extra gay and it's at least 2x as expensive as it needs to be

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I know someone with one of those, he has the gayest car in the village.
            Nice guy.

Gay car, gotcha.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Still a good car mind you, just gayer. Definitely go for the hatchback if you can.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I know someone with one of those, he has the gayest car in the village.
            Nice guy.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Licence is #1, #2 is a pos that you can insure that will not be stolen the moment you look away.
    #3 is wait for the moment you can have that Polski Fiat of your dreams.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I feel you op moved out of the city with no licence to look for a house after i sold. 6mo of hell get a big old cheap i6 beater

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Buy one. pre 2000 if you want to fix its shit the easy way. Keep in mind that you can't "feel" the torque a bolt needs and anyone who tells you they can is a fudd and cannot be trusted.
    The driving 4 answers channel on youtube gets in to engines in an autistic way - a good place to start.
    Race cars and how to build them are other places where autism wins, as Adrian Newey is absolutely obsessed with aerodynamics and Red Bull destroys the competition.
    Less F1 and more on the road interesting is how Gordon Murray goes on and on about suspension, which is a major factor in making cars feel nice on roads and not racetracks.

Cars that make most people drool are the Audi Quattro S2, which sounds good and was one of the fastest Rallye cars to ever be fielded, or the V10 era F1 cars.
    Completely different approach to power are american V8s, they're usually cheap but their suspension sucks compared to european cars.

Gordon Murray is also known for his efforts in reducing weight, in the spirit of Colin Chapman, who coined "Reduce weight and then add lightness".
    All of these are things you can follow up on.
    As far as cars are concerned: go buy an inline 5 Volvo V70 pre 2007 if you never want to lift a finger beyond regular maintenance.
    Buy a BMW if you want some headaches but more fun, buy an Alfa Romeo/Maserati if you want heartache and an empty wallet but like talking about passion and character.
    Skodas are cool, although they're usually just VWs with a different badge.
    American econoboxes are pointless in europe, stay away. The only american cars worth thinking about are Corvette and Viper.
    Asian econoboxes can be okay, but why not buy local? You're close enough to manufacturing, so prices won't hurt that much.

French cars are just autism.

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Most importantly: unlike googling medical issues, googling "[car] [internal name] problems" will actually get you a pretty good list of things to check for when you go out to buy a used car. It will also introduce you to what parts are on a car anad can quicly lead you down a rabbit hole.

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>So what do I do?
    Get back on the boat, go back "home".

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just buy a random $500 car and have at it

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

the answer is always a

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You don't need to be interested in cars. You just need to know how to drive one.

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

You either have it or you don't. You can't cultivate an interest in cars. It either clicks or it doesn't.

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I got my license at 16 and 1 day. I was mad the registry was closed on my actual birthday otherwise I would have went then. Have driven nearly every day since then. Am 44. I guess buy a Toyota or something like most people who don't like cars drive.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

'murrica.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *