I am disgusted by combustion engines whenever i learn about them.

Either it's a massive inefficent lump with guzzles fuel and provides the bare minimum in efficency, or a finicky mess full of paper thin levers and wires that will eventally snap if you treat your car like a tool instead of babying it around.

The more i learn about engines the more disgusted i am by their futile complexity.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

homosexual

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

4.6L modular

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you think engines are complex, you'll have a hell of a time wrapping your moron brain around the machines used to build the pcb components that make EV's possible.
    Reminder to sage this thread.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>components that make EV's possible.
      components that make ev possible are motor, batteries and a switch. that's all you need for an ev. anything beyond that just makes it better.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>that's all you need for an ev.
        Is it though?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

EV shills (and trolls) only understand the end product.
          They have no understanding of the complexity of the supply and manufacturing chain just to build a toaster let alone a modern vehicle.
          If a requirement for obtaining a driver's license included a class on mining, refining and manufacturing of all components used for both rypes of vehicles even the most die hard liberal would ban EV's.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

this is fallacious in that powerplants exist regardless whether or not EVs do.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Power plants exist regardless whether or not EVs do.
            You've got to burn more natural gas to make more electricity...

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You burn less gas with each EV though.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

No, you do not.
            Power plants are maybe 40% efficient. Gas cars 20%. But, there are lots of losses in transmission and modulation of power... and oh yeah, my gas car weighs less than half a Model S. F=ma.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Not really. EVs are like 90% efficient. Gas cars don't even have regen braking, which is pretty huge.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>EVs are like 90% efficient.
            Doesn't factor in the engine (power plant), which is ~37% for a single cycle and ~60% for a dual cycle. Batteries just store energy.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Bro, they use electric motors for trains because they are more efficient.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Wow, great argument. That totally negates the fact that most electricity is made from burning gas and when you consider weight EVs are equivalent in efficiency to ICEVs. But consider that ICEVs have catalytic converters and power plants do not. Many cities were covered in smog until, not unleaded fuel, but catalytic converters.
            ELECTRICITY IS NOT MAGIC ENERGY FROM THE WALL how many times do I need to say this? 3/4ths of electricity in the US is from burning fossil fuels, over 1/3rd of the world's electricity is still from burning coal, Germany just abandoned their nuclear program, etc etc.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Bro, you're stupid. All of your arguments sound like a boomer arguing at Thanksgiving. I bet you don't even think man made climate change is real.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I know man-made climate change is real. But there is no free energy. You’re not going to save the environment by driving an EV, no matter how much you want to habeeb.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Except actual scientists and engineers in the related fields completely disagree with you. All cars switching to EVs with gas turbines added to take on the new load would drop carbon emissions significantly.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I have 2 engineering degrees, one is mechanical from an engineering-only uni. I work for a US auto company.
            EVs would be better for the environment, but we get over 70% of our electricity from burning fossil fuels so no, they aren’t better for the environment.
            Even so, you just want to ban things you don’t like under no real scientific basis - I’m not trying to ban EVs despite disliking them.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Burning 1 gallon of gassoline (32 miles) releases 20lbs of co2. Generating 10kwh (30~ miles) with gas turbines creates at most 8lbs of co2.

Since extracting oil and creating gassoline releases far more co2 than extracting natural gas and the transmission losses, it's clear that EVs release far less emissions.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Those numbers are bullshit for many reasons (variance in power generation, vehicle weight, etc). Those numbers are either made-up or cherry-picked from corporations overinflating their “greenness” to get tax subsidies.
            Burden of proof is on you.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Ok, what's the actual number of lbs of co2 released when burning a gallon of gassoline. And is 800lbs of Co2 per MWh from natural gas generation accurate?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I don’t care, you’re the one trying to ban what I love, the burden of proof is on you.
            No matter how many numbers we throw around they both come out about even, and that’s not even considering vehicle production.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>I don’t care
            Ah, there we have it. Didn't even read past this. "EVs create more pollution. No I don't care about the numbers." typical anti EV moron.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>I don’t care
            Ah, there we have it. Didn't even read past this. "EVs create more pollution. No I don't care about the numbers." typical anti EV moron.

Burning 1 gallon of gassoline (32 miles) releases 20lbs of co2. Generating 10kwh (30~ miles) with gas turbines creates at most 8lbs of co2.

Since extracting oil and creating gassoline releases far more co2 than extracting natural gas and the transmission losses, it's clear that EVs release far less emissions.

Except actual scientists and engineers in the related fields completely disagree with you. All cars switching to EVs with gas turbines added to take on the new load would drop carbon emissions significantly.

https://i.imgur.com/A5CxCGf.jpg

Wow, great argument. That totally negates the fact that most electricity is made from burning gas and when you consider weight EVs are equivalent in efficiency to ICEVs. But consider that ICEVs have catalytic converters and power plants do not. Many cities were covered in smog until, not unleaded fuel, but catalytic converters.
            ELECTRICITY IS NOT MAGIC ENERGY FROM THE WALL how many times do I need to say this? 3/4ths of electricity in the US is from burning fossil fuels, over 1/3rd of the world's electricity is still from burning coal, Germany just abandoned their nuclear program, etc etc.

Those numbers are bullshit for many reasons (variance in power generation, vehicle weight, etc). Those numbers are either made-up or cherry-picked from corporations overinflating their “greenness” to get tax subsidies.
            Burden of proof is on you.

Here is a study by Volvo (who are switching to 100% EV):
            https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-/media/applications/pdpspecificationpage/c40-electric/specifications/volvo-carbon-footprint-report.pdf

Manufacturing & driving a car for 200k km: Volvo XC40 ICE emits 59 tonnes of CO2, Volvo C40 EV emits 50 tonnes on global energy mix, 42 tons on european mix. The EV has ~70% of the ICE emissions when you drive it 200k km in europe. You have to drive it for 77k km before you break even on CO2, and 49k km if you used wind power only. That is nowhere close the pipe dream of "zero emissions" vehicles.

Another example: Volvo Polestar 2
            https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-2/specifications/

Cradle-to-gate emissions: 22.4 tons (22 400 000 grams) of CO2. The Mercedes E300 W124 from 1990s emits 186g / km traveled. This means you can drive the merc for 120k km before you offset the production emissions of a new EV.

If you care about environment, buy and drive a used car.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Just make battery production green and the issue is solved.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

just make the ICE engine & steel manufacturing green and problem solved bro

all about as easy to do

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Just make battery production green

Not possible.

• 2 months ago
            Greased Geese

>here's a study by irrelevant car company that peaked over 30 years ago who are alegedly switching to ev
            how about you fricking leave frickface.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Read it first. It's a company switching to EV - but even with their cherry picking they admit that ICE and EV are basically equivalent environmentally.

• 2 months ago
            Greased Geese

I will not read.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I know man-made climate change is real. But there is no free energy. You’re not going to save the environment by driving an EV, no matter how much you want to habeeb.

Natural gas power plants still produce power cleaner power than ICE or even hybrid cars overall. Coal is a different story, as is petroleum. Hawaii is the only state that really goes hard on petroleum though. There are still regions that still use coal heavily, especially Appalachian states.

I did a school project on this a while back and using 2020 power generation data, AK, HI, UT, MO, WY, ND, IN, KY, and WV still don't produce power cleanly enough for EVs to be better than hybrids. (You wouldn't want an EV in Alaska at any rate because batteries take a big hit to efficiency in extreme cold). Everywhere else though EVs should be better, on average.

One of the big issues I came across which I rarely see brought up in discussions was the emissions involved in producing lithium batteries, which require high temperatures to produce. Research and oversight on the emissions of battery production is pretty scant, but it does seem to be the case that EVs with large batteries have a big up front cost in emissions. They'll still outperform hybrids over the life of the vehicle, but it may take close to 100k miles or so for cars with huge reserves.

Anyway, EVs do have issues but on the whole they will always outperform ICE, and usually outperform hybrids. "You still have to burn fossil fuel" isn't much of an argument because there's a wide variation in how cleanly power can be generated using fossil fuels.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Are you just scared of engines or something? You get really worked-up in these threads and there's no way to prove that EVs are truly better for the environment because they mostly come out even in terms of environmental impact. 100 years from now kids will come across old battery packs in the woods. I'm fine with EVs, really, but I don't want one ever.
            If you want to save the environment, get a vasectomy.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

That was my first post in the thread, I'm not trying to tell people what sort of car they would buy, and I'm not sure why you'd think I'm "afraid of engines" by offering information.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Your post seemed like a guy I see in these threads often who wants ICE B&. Though he usually spouts off wild numbers with no sources, my bad.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Well for full disclosure, I'm certainly not an expert or anything. I did a project for a class looking comparing electric power emissions by state to MPG/eMPG ratings. Most of the data I worked with is made publicly available on government websites, and from there it was just running the numbers.

Estimating emissions from lithium battery production was much more fuzzy though, I had to rely on a limited number of scholarly articles I could scrounge on databases like EBSCO. It's really a big question mark since there's very little reporting and there can be a big variation in the emissions estimates.

At any rate, my takeaway from running the numbers is that plug-in hybrids make the most sense with current technology. PHEVs can have much smaller battery footprints, and shoving bigger batteries into EVs doesn't make much sense when most the daily driving habits of most people don't take them farther than 30 miles total. A lot of PHEVs currently on the market are pretty shitty for emissions though because they're luxury brands, and those aren't designed for any sort of energy efficiency. It's mostly Toyota making the good ones, unsurprisingly.

All this is just talking about total estimated emissions of a vehicle though, and I would never advocate to anyone to make that the sole consideration when choosing a vehicle to drive. Electric motors do make a lot of sense environmentally, especially for city driving. But abandoning gas vehicles entirely is a genuinely bad idea, there are a variety of uses like road trips and subzero winters where battery vehicles just are not practical. And although I've made a case for PHEVs, that sort of complexity means more maintenance expenses.

I probably do sound sort of worked up over this, but I have put some work into trying to understand the problem. I don't mean to put this forth as any sort of gospel though, it's just the insights and opinions I've formed after doing fairly basic analyses in Excel using public data.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Gas cars don't even have regen braking,
            Some of the Mazdas 2013 with Skyactiv G, Skyactiv-D engines have I-Eloop system that is regenerative braking system before they introduced Mild hybrid engines, one PHEV. Volvo had KERS since 2011.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

moron. Google lithography

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>and a switch
        Dumb ev Black person right here. Drills arent even like 90s drills evs are fricking 3 phase and require a 4090 to move the vehicle. Talk about being chink owned.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Turbodiesel just works
    That heavy machine has turbodiesel too

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

They aren't commonly known as "Rube Goldberg machines" for nothing.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Engines are incredibly simple. So are drivetrains.
      It's all the added bullshit we do to make them 'better' (EGR, vacuum wizardry, sensors, exhaust, emissions) or accessories like aircon that makes them look complicated.
      Picrel, making electricity is way more complicated and this is highly simplified.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Then why do they need more moving parts, more computers, more fluids, and more maintanence?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Because EVs' engines are potentially hundreds of miles away.
          You don't think electricity is magic free energy, do you?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

So you want your refrigerator, lights, and computer to have engines in them that you refill with gassoline?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>refrigerator
            Doesn't need batteries
            >lights
            Doesn't need batteries
            >computer
            Doesn't need batteries
            >BEV
            Needs gay ass batteries

See how using batteries in high energy and high weight transportation applications is moronic compared to using easily transportable fuel for transportation applications. Only a moronic would fall for that meme.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Smoke detectors need batteries. So does your phone. Do you want those to be gas powered?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

As a backup since smoke detectors are hard wired too. Using battery alone would be a reliability disaster for smoke detectors.
            >So does your phone
            Phones are a lot smaller than cars. I will admit it's pretty impressive how batteries are able to run that hardware on small electronic devices. But then again, battery life over the years becomes garbage and make those devices without replaceable batteries useless. I'm not against electricity. I'm just realistic about the advantages and drawbacks of batteries. Electric vehicles like trains, subways, and trolleys that don't have batteries and are powered by powered rails or overhead lines have existed for decades without issue. But the battery powered electric vehicle is a complete meme outside of maybe golf carts.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Computers do need batteries moron

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Laptop cuck
            Lel

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>more computers.
          Most of those computers are mandatory because of mandatory safety systems and driving assistance, emissions limits. Engines itself dont need much computers, manual transmission doesnt need computer at all. Cars 2001 and older had less amount of computers than modern cars.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>my car wouldn't need as many computers if it wasn't legal!
            Pretty weird argument there.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

There's still only one computer that runs the engine. The rest is airbags, ABS, aircon, infotainment, etc.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

my car will be illegal until the laws are fixed.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Engines are incredibly simple.
        I assure you they are not
        >t. engineergay

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Engines are incredibly simple to understand at the basic level.
          t. Mech engineering degree in 2010 from engineering uni

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

You can teach a middle schooler all the parts of an engine, how they go together, and the basic principles behind how they function. That doesn’t make them simple. It’s a very complicated task to design an engine that’s worth a shit.

https://i.imgur.com/8SE6wYw.jpg

pushrod v8 seems pretty fricking simple to me homo, maybe engineer your lips off a Black persondick homosexual.

Yeah? Make one moron.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

dont see you farming for lithium Black person

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>so buck broken that he can't even have a conversation
            Not everyone is your schizo imaginary enemy, bud

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

leave my board Black personbrain homosexual im not conversing with you

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>You can teach a middle schooler all the parts of an engine, how they go together, and the basic principles behind how they function. That doesn’t make them simple. It’s a very complicated task to design an engine that’s worth a shit.
            Yeah, I understand that, I'll talk about materials engineering and bearing choices all day. Anything can be made complicated, cooking food can be all about chemistry and thermodynamics if you really want to go deep.
            But some of these EVgays and zoomers act like engines are completely-incomprehensible and that electricity is just free energy from the wall. In my mind that's a serious problem because they don't understand grade school physics yet want to ban anything they don't like.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

that's a pretty big crystalline structure

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

For (You)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

For (You)

(Austenitic screeching)

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

calm, metallurgist. now is not the time for pearlite...
            that comes later.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Metallurgy is autistic and probably witchcraft, I refuse to believe in it.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

i imagine you'd have to spend hours autistically agonizing over engine balance, firing order, and a dozen other details that would be completely overlooked by the average mechanic. really goes to show how impressive bizzarrini and his team was for drawing up the lamborghini v12 and getting it to production so quickly.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

a v12is just two l6s stuck together, so there's not much needed to be done with v12s balance-wise.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

cylinder geometry, rod length, stroke, and offset are all also incredibly important. designing an engine isnt easy homie.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

yeah no shit. i was just saying that balance would be relatively easy to get out of the way since l6s are inherently balanced

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

pushrod v8 seems pretty fricking simple to me homo, maybe engineer your lips off a Black persondick homosexual.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>engineer
          >thinks ICE are complicated
          NGMI

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

like anything its a rabbit hole of complexity. a 6 year old can be taught how an ICE works, but a requires years of physics studies as well as mechanical engineering to develop a competitive one from scratch.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

A 12 year old can learn relativity, but that doesn't mean humanity can build a relativistic ship.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

That is actually a recent forced meme by zoomers who just like the name Rube Goldberg but are far too young to have seen his cartoons when they were in syndication and well known.

When someone uses the term I know they aren't technical people and their opinions are worthless.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Let's use this low bait thread to laugh at the reality of EVs

State of the art EVs have less efficiency than crusty old cars from the 1980s (lol) that's how shit the EV tech has advanced

When you puncture an EV battery the runaway chain reaction gulfs the vehicle in seconds and is close to impossible to put out with conventional means. Imagine driving a death trap like that lol.

Teslas literally use and leak standard car coolant and oil- that's right you have none of the benefits of ICE yet your gay mobile is leaking on the driveway like a regular old car ahahahahahha

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

There are cell designs that help prevent runaway battery fires, but car manufacturers don't use them because they cost like 20-50% more.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Batteries need cooling and the lifetime oil fill that lubricates the motor needs filtering to keep particles out. Are you going to complain that they use tires too?
      In 80k miles, I haven't needed any kind of maintenance besides washer fluid and tire rotations.

https://i.imgur.com/rTAUow6.jpg

Because EVs' engines are potentially hundreds of miles away.
      You don't think electricity is magic free energy, do you?

Imagine paying for the electric israelite when you could generate your own free solar power.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Thank you for reminding me, I'm at 75k miles and I should change my gearbox oils.

https://i.imgur.com/tYUJrzt.png

>components that make EV's possible.
      components that make ev possible are motor, batteries and a switch. that's all you need for an ev. anything beyond that just makes it better.

The Detroit electric was a lead batteries that were just hammered flat lead ingots, a motor and a variac

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Go ride your bike

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

here's a car for You OP

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

NTA but Unironically I'd drive it. I love stupid shit lol

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

i bet youre disgusted by women too you frickin homosexual

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Bad bait homosexual. EV shills aren't this moronic they just pretend to be.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

First it was second hand smoke that you didn’t want your moronic kids getting cancer from cigarette smokers, then it was why are white people so racist… now it’s the autistic screeching over people using cars that combust volatile fuels they had absolutely no issues with for over a 100 years. have a nice day.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>second hand smoke
      pales in comparison to the childen being born with illegal substances or of mixed race, cannot fricking believe they killed off smoking in this country I only ever see hipsters doing it now.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>pales in comparison to the childen being born with illegal substances
        How about all the children born addicted to SSRIs, which 1/4 of american women take and are physically addictive?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

ssris were before my time I didn't think about that,
          I was born right before the pill popping craze.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Pull your panties up and put your mask on.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

OP is either a woman or a homosexual, because men look at an ICE and marvel at human ingenuity

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

No, you aren't you're just another numb digger shitposting poorly.

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

homosexual

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Hopefully these can help.
    https://www.livehope.org/article/keys-to-recovery-from-same-sex-attractions-2/
    https://mensgroup.com/masculinity/

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

your butthole is full of jizz

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

The more i learn about EVs, full hybrids the more disgusted i am by their futile complexity.

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Feels like I'm watching gore

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Frick them grandkids and frick their climate

13 mpg

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

how are you getting similar mpg to my 351w 4x4 f150

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous