I do a lot of road trip driving (7hrs+) each year, whats a good car thats 1) comfortable to spend hours in and 2)doesnt have loud interior cabin road ...

I do a lot of road trip driving (7hrs+) each year, whats a good car thats 1) comfortable to spend hours in and 2)doesnt have loud interior cabin road noise?
currently i drive a 20 year old avalon which is terrible at 2 and decent at 1.

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Stratton Oakmont Wolf of Wall Street Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

The longer wheelbase the better. Idk what you're looking for but long and wide is what does it for me.

2. 1 month ago
    p™

get a pickup. cars are for weakling losers

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Lexus LS400/430/460

• 4 weeks ago
      READ ME

This is the best answer. 400/430 are relatively simple and cheap to work on. The 460 is expensive to maintain.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

430 is pure sexo cant wait to fix mine up

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Fix it up asap. Just fixed the air ride on mine but I need to replace the amplifier for the radio and ac

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

antarctic blue super sports wagon with CB and optional rally fun pack

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

You didnt order the metallic pea?

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I have a 25 year old Camry XLE and it's both comfortable and quiet.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Oh. And maybe you mean comfortable for sleeping in. It's that as well, and the backseats fold down and the trunk is big. So you could fold down the backseat, put in a pad, blanket and pillow and it would be perfectly fine.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

How. I have a 4 year old Avalon and it has a lot of noise at 80 mph (cruising speed on I5).
      Better tires might help but I'm not counting on it.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Probably because it has a 3.5L V6 in it. Mine has a 2.4L 4 cylinder and the interiors of newer Toyotas are much less isolated from the engine compartment and outside because there's less material.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It's the hybrid 4 cylinder. No engine noise to speak of except on wfo merge, it's wind and tire noise. It's still on the oem tires and they're about cooked so I'm thinking softer tires will help a lot.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Camries from the 00s are quiet, probably the 90s as well. If you want a quiet Camry now you have to get a Lexus. It's the better isolation that older cars have on the higher trim models, and Camries having acoustic glass and stuffed doors and thick carpeting.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

That's crazy but I believe it. I'm tempted to dynamat the thing but taking it apart would probably break a hundred plastic clips. I've been spoiled by the pickup, it's super quiet in spite of having AT tires.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Camrys aren't quiet. If you think yours is it's because your sample size is limited.

That Corolla I drove was hovering at 2K rpm even when I was going 75mpj

Engine noise is only dominant at speed in ancient shitboxes and race cars. In everything else, wind and tire noise is dominant.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Do not get a Prius, loudest fricking car interior ever. I have to yell to my passengers if on the freeway. I would think cheap cars in general are just loud inside. They're also shaving off weight to make fuel economy standards so many newer cars likely don't have much between you and the outside/engine compartment.

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Op asked for cars but we all know the answer is a pickup. Nobody wants to say it because it will set off the whiners and troons but there it is.
    I just did two 1000 mile trips back to back. One in a late model sedan and one in a half ton. The truck is better than most cars by a country mile.
    Not saying it's better than a big ol' Benz or bmw or Towncar but it's pretty frickin good.
    157" wheelbase and 400+ horsepower plus ultra quiet cabin and nice seats- they're superior, deal with it.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Lincoln Town Car. Super reliable, great at highway driving, glides down the road like a cloud with its air suspension, super quiet inside.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

That's one of the contenders for sure.
      We rented one in Maine and I couldn't stay awake in the passenger seat to save my life. And I don't sleep easily, I never sleep on airplanes for instance.

• 4 weeks ago
        READ ME

That was CO2 toxicity, not the ride.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

OP here. if I said something above 20mpg is that asking too much? I love landyachts too, I drove a deville as a my first car, but now my avalon averages about 25 on the hwy.

I rented a 2024 corolla last weekend and it was clearing 36mpg easily which was nice on my wallet after 800 roundtrip miles in 3 days

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

20 isn't exactly aiming high anon. I complain of road noise in the Yota hybrid but it's a 4 door lardmobile and it gets 40 mpg on road trips, going 80 most of the time.
      I'd look for a deal on a camry hybrid and just deal with the road noise, it probably isn't that bad unless you're used to a very quiet vehicle.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

A lot of the boat options suggested in this thread like the Town Car or an LS400 or any full-size 90s cars will barely get over 20 on the highway.

I do like Toyotas, I think a late model camry will be the way to go, as my 20 year old avalon's then-new features are all commonplace now

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

It's hard to go wrong with the yotas. I don't think the hybrids pencil out unless you do huge miles but there are certain aspects that are awesome. I love that the ac runs full blast off of the battery and the dead silence and zero vibrations at a stop. My main beef is the 4 cylinder engine, it's typical Toileta (weak). Shit engine but probably necessary to get 40 mpg.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Some of their smaller hybrids can do 50-60 MPG if you don't drive at highway speeds all the time, and either live in a warm climate or drive long enough trips that the car has time to warm up.
            And yeah, their engines are pretty wimpy. Hell, the 4cyl 1.8 they put in at least some hybrid Corollas is probably weaker than a random euro shitbox's 0.9 turbo. Maybe it'll last a bit longer, at least.
            The road noise can also get pretty bad at high speeds, especially on studded tires or roads worn out by them. Great for mixed driving, but there definitely are better long distance cruisers.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

>A lot of the boat options suggested in this thread like the Town Car or an LS400 or any full-size 90s cars will barely get over 20 on the highway.

My Town Car gets 25+ MPG on the highway. If you get them up to speed and hit the cruise control they're very efficient at just holding at 70 MPH for hours.

For reference I get around 18 MPG city.

• 1 month ago
            gas all zoomers

you clearly have no idea what city driving is

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you clearly have no idea what city driving is

I don't live in a city with a ton of traffic and congestion. So my definition of city driving isn't sitting around in traffic for an hour waiting to move 50 feet.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

I have a MGM and I get ~26mpg on the highway, so that sounds right.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

My '07 MGM does 25.5, mostly highway driving.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>Warping dashboard
          It's so over

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That’s just where the airbag panel is

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

20 is very easy to achieve, hell a f250 gets above 20 in the highway.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>a f250 gets above 20 in the highway.
        Why do you morons make completely fictional posts that are so easy to verify?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Well considering I get 18-19 ish with 4.10s DRW and diesel you can pretty easily expect even a gasser get get around it on the highway.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

No, you cannot expect a 7.3 gas v8 to get 20 on the highway hauling a gigantic truck you moron

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

My TT hybrid half ton (6100 lbs) will get 24 mpg if I go the speed limit on flat terrain but I always have my foot in it so it gets about 18 irl. Way less if going uphill but it gives it back on the downhill run.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Learn the difference between highway economy and mixed city/highway driving you fricking dunce. If the truck is doing 14mpg mixed it's easily capable of doing 20 down the fricking highway.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

you sure are fricking moronic

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>reddit

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

My truck is like butter on the highway

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Unironically the v6 charger, big fluffy tires with lots of sidewall to suck up bumps, long ass gears with the 8 speed and relatively aerodynamic with lots of sound isolation with a smooth engine

Also gets around 33-34mpg on the highway with 3 people + packed full of luggage

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This anon knows the answer. Or the 300 if you want something slightly nicer.

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous
  13. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a german diesel wagon.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/n3lxlPY.jpeg

diesel passat b7

patrician choice
      >t. fellow passat B7 owner

14. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

diesel passat b7

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Thirding VW TDI, especially with a 6-speed. There's a lot less noise to isolate when you're only at 2k RPM while flying down the highway.

Possibly avoid mk6/mk7 Jettas (sedans, wagons are different) because VW cheaped out on a bunch of stuff and the interiors may not be as good.

15. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Subaru outback

16. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Sienna

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Hate to admit it but I like those vans for no particular reason. I'm tempted to get one but my wife would divorce me.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Long wheel base, comfy seats, good mpg, quiet, lots of space, what’s not to like?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

Yessir. I really like their oem wheels too. Those vans look sharp in the darker colors but the white ones, not so much.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They're $38k + tip and I remember reading about there being waiting lists to get one.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

$38k for a poverty spec base model. I've seen them and the Odysseys go for over $60k which is just a disturbing amount of money to spend on a minivan. There are much, much better vehicles out there for that kind of money. No wonder they're almost extinct.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Considering that that's with modern inflation, so it's like 30k in 2018 money.

That's fine.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No... That would be $50k in 2018 money. Still dumb money for a fricking minivan.

https://i.imgur.com/OagdAUX.png

you sure are fricking moronic

Were you microwaved or something? They're towing and doing mostly stop and go driving and getting 14mpg city which is on par with the fuelly numbers. You're fricking stunned. Just because your fricking Tacoma gets 14mpg doesn't mean a properly engineered truck can't do better.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Why dont you post evidence that a single person ever got 20mpg in a gas f-250... because it never happened

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Look it up yourself you lazy frick. F-250 Tremors with 35'' tires are doing 16-19mpg at almost 70+mph. You really think 20mpg at a more EPA like speed in a normal trim F-250 is still impossible?

what would be better? SUVs are gay. I guess you could get a nice lightly used Mercedes wagon or something.

I'll give you a hint. They sell around 3 million of them a year.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

The goalposts are officially in another dimension

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

what would be better? SUVs are gay. I guess you could get a nice lightly used Mercedes wagon or something.

17. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

5 Series or a Charger if you're a Black person.

18. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

God i miss woodgrain.
    Exterior woodgrain on trucks when.

19. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Wouldn't go any less than 6 cylinders for a highway cruiser meant to drive for an entire day. You'll start to hate your 4banger after driving it past 3 hours with the RPMs above 4k the entire time.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Ah yes i always forget how it’s the engine and not the gearing that determines RPM at speed

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If the engine is too weak, it'll lug at high speed and low rpm, driving a Corolla at 80 mph at 1400 rpm would be a bad experience

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

If a 4 cyl was geared for 2k rpm at 80 Mph it would have to downshift a lot, and would be pretty slow to launch unless it had a really wide gearset.

Though the Subaru Crosstrek sport does have such a cvt that can hold around 2k at 80 as long as its flat/downhill. It has to pull near the redline a lot

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

That Corolla I drove was hovering at 2K rpm even when I was going 75mpj

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Well, V8 Panthers are barely above idle at that speed.

20. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

As a broke bastard who's only ever driven a ratty Home Depot rental F250, are older trucks really that comfortable for long trips? Obviously $90k luxotrucks are going to be comfy, but I thought ones from the 90s and 00s all had leaf springs and generally rode pretty rough. Would a V6 model be enough if I don't want to haul stuff and just want a decent ride?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

3/4 and one tons rode like jackhammers until very recently. Half tons with IFS have always rode pretty soft. The longer wheelbase the better when it comes to plush ride.
      Any v6 truck should be fine if you're not climbing huge mountains or towing substantial loads.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Half tons with IFS have always rode pretty soft. The longer wheelbase the better when it comes to plush ride.
        Gotcha. So shoot for something with an extended cab and/or long bed, then.
        >Any v6 truck should be fine if you're not climbing huge mountains
        This concerns me. I'm going to have to be doing a lot of mountain driving soon and my anemic current car was topping out at 75 on uphill highways where people were doing 90. I'm really hoping to avoid that struggle.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Old pickups drive like shit and the ball joints and various steering bits wear out making them hard to control at speed unless you dump money into them regularly. performance is shit too. Many aren't even reliable

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I've driven old GMT800's and Chevy Expresses from that era that were pretty hard to stay awake in on the highway. Yeah their suspension was not quite as soft as the mall crawlers of today but they made up for that with 75 section tires and less emphasis on "sporty handling".

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

My gmt800 isnt terrible on the highway but the interior is loud compared to nicer new cars. The ride is not that good either but its manageable as its only a half ton. I got spoiled with the interior of my mustang as its actually pretty quiet in there. I think they put extra sound deadening in for the premium package. The quiet interior is so nice to have on road trips, once you have it you dont want to go back.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

A little bit of sound deadening goes a long way. It's a b***h to install but when you do it can turn an old truck or SUV into something with comparable interior noise levels to something new.

21. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

would the new crown signia be could for this purpose? How would it match up against the new GX for this purpose only?

22. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. Town Cars of the same generation have dual exhaust, but handle like a schoolbus. The '07 and '08 MGMs have air suspension. There's nothing better on the highway than a Grand Marquis from those two years.

23. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

A recent f250 diesel will get 20 mpg highway.

24. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>currently i drive a 20 year old avalon which is terrible at 2 and decent at 1.
    Get a sound shop to put in a shitton of sound deadening, re-rubber the suspension and replace all the engine mounts.
    Job done.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is it worth it for a car that has 246K miles on it

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

no "Shop" will do WTF needs to be done, which is probably foil backed fibreglass held with small hole chicken-wire, held by screws with big washers, up in the wheel wells as well as under the hood.

But most noise is probably from lack of good weather stripping on doors and windows.

But all he really needs is good earbuds, and sound canceling ear-phones over those.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>But all he really needs is good earbuds, and sound canceling ear-phones over those.
        absolutebraindeadmoron/10

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>headphones while driving

I only see shitskins and mexicans do this around here

25. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

98-04 SAAB 9-5

Wagon preferrably. Speaking from experience from huge trips

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>turdo i4
      Probably over 2500 rpm at 130 (70 mph in moronic units) + turbo noise
      >euro plates
      Probably no experience with American landyachts either

26. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

cops used to spend 12+ hours a day in em. Get a marauder for passing power and extra sound deadening or just dynamat a CVPI

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Now they all prefer F-150's. Hmmm

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

No they don't. They don't drive F-150s they drive Explorers and most of the cops who have them are less than thrilled about it.

You can hoon a Crown Vic if you Hoon an Explorer or an F-150 you roll over.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yes they do. Even the Explorers have super cramped interiors compared to the F-150. Most of the fleet in my city is being replaced by F-150's because the Explorers are pieces of shit. The new guys get the Explorers.

>You can hoon a Crown Vic if you Hoon an Explorer or an F-150 you roll over.
          You're delusional.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Now they all prefer F-150's. Hmmm

we have cvs and explorers, but most officers prefer the cvs. Name one major city that is buying f150s for general patrol. you can't do a pursuit in an f150 or even a Tahoe. The only options now are the durango, charger, or exploder.

27. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Unironically, a Challenger. I rented this one some years ago and drove it from Sacramento to Reno, and I was shocked with how comfortable it was to drive, especially on the highway. It was a v6 and got close to 30mpg.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous
      • 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

v6 challenger
        even though it's basically the same car as the charger and 300 but with sportier suspension, it's quieter inside because the engine is slightly further away from the cabin.

based i got 32.6 on a recent trip
        pentastar is love
        pentastar is life

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

These things are hilariously badly packaged. For all that size you get less legroom than a subcompact.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I can 1000% promise you that you will have a better driving experience in a challenger than a fricking ford focus. Jesus the cope

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>worse handling
          >worse steering
          >less room
          >auto only
          >forgetting it's still a rental v6 pony car with an open diff
          >muh 1000% guarantee
          Jesus the cope indeed Anon. I've rented a V6 Challenger too and was thoroughly unimpressed with how lifeless it was. It's not nearly as tossable and refused to trail brake oversteer like my old Focus. It's a fat sack of shit made for poseurs who should've got a V8.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Jealousy doesn't suit you anon.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous
          • 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Holy fricking kek the cope from a focus owner. The only praise I gave that rental challenger was how comfy and how good a highway cruiser it was. That’s it. It 100% does those two things better than your pile of dog shit Focus.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

are you stanning over a rental? wild

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

No, i suggested OP a car that fit his needs. You’re the fricking sperg going reeeeeee about a Ford Focus lmao
            >it wasn’t “nearly as tossable”
            top kek autistic moron

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You made 2 posts, one solely to post mpg. Your seemingly full of shit and losing it anon going on about "driving experience" in a shitty V6 pony car.

https://i.imgur.com/LAKwuvb.jpeg

No, i suggested OP a car that fit his needs. You’re the fricking sperg going reeeeeee about a Ford Focus lmao
            >it wasn’t “nearly as tossable”
            top kek autistic moron

>fullmoron.jpg
            Yikes, not a good look Anon.

28. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

5th gen Lexus ES with the 3.5L engine. Quiet as a Buick and got 30 to 31 mph cruising on the interstate. Did lots of 500-plus mile trips with no problems.

29. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I stopped road tripping in my dailies. Too much liability, and since i run track tires, a waste of tread.
    So i now rent a truck. a nice and comfy 4 door truck.
    I through all my shit in the bed, keep the interior clutter free.
    beat and abuse it all day long, take it offroad, sleep in it if I have to.
    never have to worry about it breaking down or getting stuck.
    it has great power, and modern comforts.
    the Fords have a pretty decent 10 speed auto. I usually lock it down to 4th gear. fricker rips.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Lol this is why you keep the track tires for your track car.

30. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

For me? It's
    https://www.motortrend.com/features/1972-dodge-monaco-wagon-hauling-people-stuff-and-ass/

Sometimes to get what one wants, he must build it.

31. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Chrysler 300
    Buick lucerne
    Lincoln town car

32. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Comfy Cadillac

33. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just invest in some sound dampening.

34. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Is it diffult to replace the weather stripping? My driver side door is all fricked up from the previous owner

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *