I idle in my car when I eat lunch every day for 20 minutes. How fricked is my engine?

I idle in my car when I eat lunch every day for 20 minutes
How fricked is my engine?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Tip Your Landlord Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>wasting gas
    >deteriorating engine twice as fast as if you were driving it
    >getting food all over your car
    Just find a nice place to relax and eat there, anon

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

an hour of idle time is equal to about 30 miles of driving. It's not great but it's also one of those things where there is no telling when it would cause a problem with your vehicle.

I honestly don't care, my daily shitbox I idle all the time once a day for about an hour on my lunch while I take a little day nap

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>I honestly don't care, my daily shitbox I idle all the time once a day for about an hour on my lunch while I take a little day nap
      god the amount of poverty dripping off this comment is palpable

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

He gets an hour for lunch, sounds to me like he's making it. Us real poors only get 30 minutes.

• 2 months ago
        Poor Investor

>such a chad that he doesn't care about the engine wear
        >gets an hour lunch
        I can taste your sweaty jealousy

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I don't even get lunch

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

The frick it is. Idling puts almost zero stress on the engine

• 2 months ago
        Fledgling Investor

yeah it's not stress but it's still wear. even then idling for about an hour would represent driving in traffic for about an hour to do 30 miles.

I don't think it matters all that much if that unrustles your jimmies

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Idling means hot coolant, cold oil, low intake charge, and very advanced ignition. This causes multiple mild things to happen together.
        Multiple mild things together add up to, well, something. Not bad but not great.

Since all the fluids never get up to proper temp, one being overly warm the other being too cold the engine doesn't expand from heat correctly. The oil-nozzle cooled piston base is going to be smaller than its design clearance while the open-deck jacketed cooled cylinder walls will be expanded past the design clearance. What this means is the piston rings are not sealing correctly, allowing excess fuel (what, you think your idle is efficient, lmao) to get worked into the oil.
        Excess fuel washdown means the oil in the cylinder is excessively thin, which means the cylinder walls are being scraped on more than intended. Excess fuel buildup in the oil is basically the same, on a longer term.
        The low intake charge means the engine is always pulling significant vacuum. The PCV and EGR system are working excessively relative to the load on the motor, and excessively recirculating dirty mixtures into the cylinders. This again works it's way into the oil. The excess fuel, excess blowby from heat tolerance mismatches, and excess PCV/EGR activity all work together to frick the oil and the cylinder even more over time.
        Finally, all of this combined with a high ignition advance is making the piston "rock" in the cylinder more than toleranced. The oil pressure at idle is inadequate for sustained high advance timing, and ultimately it means your oil is turnig to shit and you're scoring the cylinder walls into the dreaded "egg shape"

Everybody else ITT is a dumb wiener sucker. This guy especially . I hate all of you, and I hope all of the bad things in life happen to all of you and only you.

tl;dr change your oil twice as often i.e. use the severe service schedule if you idle like this all the time.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

The real question is: idle wear vs starter wear with on/off cycles. There's a point on the graph where they converge their costs and benefits, but I'm not sure where. As in, "after x amount of time idling, it's more efficient to turn the vehicle off and start again since the cost of starter wear is lower than the cost of continued idling." I'm sure the answer is somewhere around 5-10 minutes.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>

https://i.imgur.com/NGtlMgm.gif

Idling means hot coolant, cold oil, low intake charge, and very advanced ignition. This causes multiple mild things to happen together.
            Multiple mild things together add up to, well, something. Not bad but not great.

Since all the fluids never get up to proper temp, one being overly warm the other being too cold the engine doesn't expand from heat correctly. The oil-nozzle cooled piston base is going to be smaller than its design clearance while the open-deck jacketed cooled cylinder walls will be expanded past the design clearance. What this means is the piston rings are not sealing correctly, allowing excess fuel (what, you think your idle is efficient, lmao) to get worked into the oil.
            Excess fuel washdown means the oil in the cylinder is excessively thin, which means the cylinder walls are being scraped on more than intended. Excess fuel buildup in the oil is basically the same, on a longer term.
            The low intake charge means the engine is always pulling significant vacuum. The PCV and EGR system are working excessively relative to the load on the motor, and excessively recirculating dirty mixtures into the cylinders. This again works it's way into the oil. The excess fuel, excess blowby from heat tolerance mismatches, and excess PCV/EGR activity all work together to frick the oil and the cylinder even more over time.
            Finally, all of this combined with a high ignition advance is making the piston "rock" in the cylinder more than toleranced. The oil pressure at idle is inadequate for sustained high advance timing, and ultimately it means your oil is turnig to shit and you're scoring the cylinder walls into the dreaded "egg shape"

Everybody else ITT is a dumb wiener sucker. This guy especially . I hate all of you, and I hope all of the bad things in life happen to all of you and only you.

tl;dr change your oil twice as often i.e. use the severe service schedule if you idle like this all the time.
            >The real question is: idle wear vs starter wear with on/off cycles.

No. Not even with autism.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Doesn't matter in the fuel injection era, at all.

>Idling means hot coolant, cold oil, low intake charge, and very advanced ignition. This causes multiple mild things to happen together.

No and you're not a mechanic fricking have a nice day for posting moronic drivel you imbecilic shitball.

Modern engines are designed with sufficient cooling typically including electric fans. If your engine overheats while idling and it's not as ancient as me there's a problem. Why the frick do you imagine the coolant would be hot yet the oil cold when the first thing to conduct heat away from most engine parts is the oil? There is no intake "charge" in the carbed sense as vaporization is handled by the fuel injectors far more effectively than my beloved toiled float carbs. Your most mongarded error is the assertion of "very advanced ignition" when the purpose of the advance/moron of ignitions since the earliest vehicles is to moron IGNITION FOR STARTING AND LOW RPM.

Your post was stupid by /b/ standards and mentally ill by /misc/ standards.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

you don't get optimal burn on moronic ignition durung low throttle, low speed, low load operation
            >WHATS INTAKE CHARGE THIS ISNT A CARBURETOR
            https://automotivedictionary.org/intake_charge

you're a fricking idiot.
            I have more intelligence in the latent lizard part of my non-cerebral middle brain than your entire fricking cortex can dream of being. You are a pathetic worm.

What wrote this nonsense, TardGPT?

Eat a dick, shit licker.
            I'm better than all of you.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>doesn’t matter, at all
            The only issue I think is the low oil pressure at idle. 20 minutes a day isn’t going to do shit though.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

fuel dilution, cylinder wash, and blowby are real things. you guys are truly moronic subhumans.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>fuel dilution and cylinder wash
            If you're running like, 10:1 AFRs at idle maybe.

>blowby
            If your piston rings are bad, they're bad regardless of if you're idling or driving.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

What wrote this nonsense, TardGPT?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Idling means hot coolant, cold oil
          You are a fricking idiot

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/OUXAy37.gif

you don't get optimal burn on moronic ignition durung low throttle, low speed, low load operation
          >WHATS INTAKE CHARGE THIS ISNT A CARBURETOR
          https://automotivedictionary.org/intake_charge

you're a fricking idiot.
          I have more intelligence in the latent lizard part of my non-cerebral middle brain than your entire fricking cortex can dream of being. You are a pathetic worm.

[...]
          Eat a dick, shit licker.
          I'm better than all of you.

have a nice day subhuman Black person ape. You have zero knowledge of engines.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just shut the car off and use accessory mode for the radio

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous
    • 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Puerto Rican prostitute

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Based if you use it to keep the AC on
    cringe if you do it for no reason

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

1 hour of idling is roughly equivalent to 15 highway miles

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Not very, a coworker of mine used to turn on their car and take a nap for an hour and did that for months if not years. If it's something shitbox-esque like a Corolla then you're not going to hurt anything.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I literally bought an astro van specifically for work naps.I eat my lunch on the sofa while watching tv then i pull it out info a bed and nap.

Stop worrying about "how much wear am I causing using my vehicle under normal fricking conditions" and just take care of your vehicle.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Never idle more than 5-10 minutes

• 2 months ago
      Poor Investor

yeah the whole car will fail catastrophically if you idle it for 11 minutes

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

On average you’ll have carbon build up and excess wear and tear, you stupid mongoloid ape Black person

• 2 months ago
          Poor Investor

Not excess wear, the engine doesn't wear faster simply because it's idling. As for carbon buildup, it's such a fractional amount of it that it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's fine but also stop doing that

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'll use this moronic thread to ask a question. What are some tips to extend the life of your engine and gearbox and avoid issues outside of general maintenance?

Here's what I do so far
    >if its ice cold outside, I let it idle while the windows demist and the cabin is warm then I gently set off
    >if its turbocharged, I let it idle for a minute or two after I complete my journey to cool down
    >I floor it every now and then to clear the engine of carbon buildup and soot if its diesel
    >if its a CVT, I never floor it from slow speeds and accelerate at a steady pace, same with braking unless its an emergency

• 2 months ago
      Fledgling Investor

The first two genuinely are true. don't let some other m/o/ron tell you that. the fricking gorillas on here will believe anything they read on some forum post by a delusional boomer.

For diesel, soot is oily and that's why it sticks to stuff, if it could get knocked out just by beating on the motor then you'd never have people getting their intakes walnut blasted. the best thing you can do for a diesel motor is run a good diesel additive like Hotshot's EDT. These additives are no joke and there are tons of data on diesel additives showing major benefits for maintenance and longevity. reduces carbon and soot buildup, and increases lubricity which is important for diesel pump and injector life.

as for the CVT that feels like a myth to me but idk enough about them to safely say.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Use seafoam or lucas oil or some other fuel/oil additive

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Probably fine. Especially if it's N/A

Idling isn't great but the number of cold starts and how the engine gets treated when cold is more important. Ideally you start the car, let it idle about 10 seconds, and then drive gently until it's up to temp.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous Mogul

>he eats in his car

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I don't understand why people just sit there idling. What are you wasting petrol for? Especially for the moron up there who's taking a nap.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>moron doesn't understand the basedness of climate-controlled comfort
      ngmi

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My license is suspended. So i go out to my car and start it and let it idle.
    I heard its better to let it idle than to just let it sit there for a year and never start it.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i heard thats even worse than never running it because the fuel just washes the oil off the cylinder walls
      if you leave an engine sitting the best way to statt it again is to turn it over with a ratchet over the crank pulley bolt and just spinning the crank by hand for a bit to get oil through the system again.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *