I just replaced my TPS and my acceleration has improved, the P0122 code is gone and my idle has stabilized.

I just replaced my TPS and my acceleration has improved, the P0122 code is gone and my idle has stabilized. Apparently I missed a step and I'm supposed to dick with a multimeter now or something? It's a 26 year old car

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

Thalidomide Vintage Ad Shirt $22.14

Man-made Horrors Shirt $21.68

1. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Yeah your computer wants to know when your throttle is at rest and when it begins to open. This will effect driveability for thing like really light cruise.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

should I leave it if its fine or will it blow up my engine one day? Drives the same as it did before but with noticeably improved acceleration. There's probably a mechanic gen but I didn't find anything on the catalog.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

if your TPS is set too far one way, when you cruise with super light acceleration it might suddenly cut fuel of an on again, rather than smoothly transitioning to idle.
        If your TPS is set too face the other way your car won't go into proper idle mode when you're idling - the ECU won't do all the things it usually does for idle speed and timing and AFR, it will act like you're still accelerating slightly.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

the ecm will learn the positions on its own after a few driving cycles.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>they go through the labour of calibrating it from the factory and give you the procedure for calibrating it during service FOR NO REASON AT ALL
        I don't believe you

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

you don't have to believe me, but it's true. the programming procedure is for the people that want to skip the normal learning process.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

WRONG
            OP's TPS specifically has a circuit which closes to tell the ECU when the throttle has returned to it's resting position. The ECU cannot "relearn" itself to make that circuit close if it not mechanically adjusted to close.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

This, and that will completely destroy the engine in less than 500 miles

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

GOTTEM

https://i.imgur.com/IH5Tr5n.png

GOTTEM

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

wow, you're correct on exactly one position of out thousands of positions (the closed position). meanwhile the ecu will learn all the other positions on its own based on maf/map and crank acceleration.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Yeah so like I was saying it won't learn on its own, its supposed to be adjusted correctly, and you're a huge fricking moron.
            Glad we cleared that up.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

TPS is tunershit than 99% of normies with their dealership cars shouldn't worry about, OP isn't an F1 racer where he needs to minmax lol

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

See

if your TPS is set too far one way, when you cruise with super light acceleration it might suddenly cut fuel of an on again, rather than smoothly transitioning to idle.
            If your TPS is set too face the other way your car won't go into proper idle mode when you're idling - the ECU won't do all the things it usually does for idle speed and timing and AFR, it will act like you're still accelerating slightly.

2. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

It's a bolt-on part. Are you getting a MIL? if not, it's fine.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

MIL is another term for a CEL im assuming, nope nothing. Just needed peace of mind and yeah I just screwed it on and didn't pull the battery or anything. Probably not kosher but so far so good.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Yes, MIL is CEL. If it doesn't come on within 100 miles or so, you're fine.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>It's a bolt-on part
      You can see the adjustment slots for the bolt holes right there moron.

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

He says it runs fine, moron.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

You will also say your car will runs fine after I unbolt your o2 sensor, that doesn't prove it's the way it should be, nor does it prove the blanking plate I used to replace your o2 sensor is a "bolt on part".

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>You will also say your car will runs fine after I unbolt your o2 sensor
            Yes. Not all EVAP systems are the same.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>Apparently I missed a step and I'm supposed to dick with a multimeter now or something?
      Nothing you do with a multimeter will affect the sensor or how the car reads the sensor, as it is just a potentiometer that reads how much the throttle shaft twists.

YOU SEEING THIS SHIT moronS?

https://i.imgur.com/tSczdZK.png

Oh, here's the procedure for a Geo Tracker. Just a little more involved, you'll also need a feeler gauge and a multimeter that can do resistance (ohms)

YOU GOING TO HOLD YOUR FRICKING TONGUE NEXT TIME?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

No, just because it makes you seethe and cry.
        t. drives a subaru that I replaced the special moron tps on 20 years ago with no adjustment and is still running on it perfectly.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>he's proud of his ignorance

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>pretending disinterest is ignorance

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>I was just pretending to have no clue about what I was talking about

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>no, not caring means you don't know HAHA I WIN!

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>akshually I just didn't care enough to know what I was talking about
            >but I said it anyway

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, it's better to not overcomplicate things to people that don't know about them. A TPS is not a magic destruction button if it's not meticulously calibrated, if it gores in and works, then it will not cause problems. At worst you lose a percent or two off the top, but it's not going to matter in a fricking geo tracker.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Ah well you see instead of pretending to be moronic to not alarm the OP I just told him the truth and explained what might actually happen.
            It's that's just a high IQ thing.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

No, you unnecessarily told him to go do something detrimental now that his computer has learned the sensor map, while riding your homosexual horse and pretending that pre-adjusting the sensor was a dire necessity.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

>told him to go do something
            [citation needed]

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Awww, it's moronic!

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

(citation not given)

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

This is impossible, not calibrating the tps will destroy your engine.

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

GOTTEM

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

>Adjusting a TPS is hard.
        have a nice day.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

But anon... I thought you said it didn't need to be adjusted?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

Where did I say that?

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

why are you replying to me talking to the people who did then?

3. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

>Apparently I missed a step and I'm supposed to dick with a multimeter now or something?
    Nothing you do with a multimeter will affect the sensor or how the car reads the sensor, as it is just a potentiometer that reads how much the throttle shaft twists.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>Nothing you do with a multimeter will affect the sensor or how the car reads the sensor, as it is just a potentiometer that reads how much the throttle shaft twists.
      t. dunning-kruger incarnate

Did you see the adjustment slots? Have you ever noticed a car with yellow or white paint on the bolts from the factory?

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

If by adjustment you mean clocking it to the key on the throttle shaft so there is no play before it engages the sensor, sure, pretending it's a complicated procedure that only a ~~*trained professional*~~ is allowed to understand is moronic, Moshim.

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

>still can't see the slotted bolt holes
          >still can't imagine what they are for

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

OP here. Can I tell if I dun goofed just by idle rpm? its the same at like 500-600 and yes I just put it on

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

The way you tell is you get a $5 multimeter which you should already own and follow the fricking instructions outlined in your service manual, which you should already own.

4. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

What car? That looks like a 90s Subaru TPS, which requires adjustment. All you do is backprobe the center pin while in KOEO (key on engine off), and with the screws loosened just enough to be able to adjust the sensor, slowly move it until the multimeter reads within ±0.05V of 5 volts, preferably as close to exactly 5 volts as possible, then tighten the screws. Very easy.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

okay I'll probably do this, is 5V a universal thing? It's a 1996 Geo Tracker

The way you tell is you get a $5 multimeter which you should already own and follow the fricking instructions outlined in your service manual, which you should already own.

reading is hard

• 1 week ago
        Anonymous

Oh, here's the procedure for a Geo Tracker. Just a little more involved, you'll also need a feeler gauge and a multimeter that can do resistance (ohms)

• 1 week ago
          Anonymous

cool, thanks. I guess I'll have to find this 0.65mm shim thingy

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

You'll want one of these, literally $5 at harbor freight.
            https://www.harborfreight.com/feeler-gauge-32-piece-63665.html

• 1 week ago
            Anonymous

thanks for spoonfeeding me I would delete the thread if I could

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

Holy shit!
      Another poster on DA who actually knows something about what he's talking about instead of spewing moronation with the certainty of a dunning-kruger stereotype.

5. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

kek fricking wrenchlets ricelets stancelets usglets

6. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

crackhead

7. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

just follow the factory relearn procedure.
    it's not hard on most cars

8. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

OP here, my car burst into flames because some throttle body component was 0.001% out of alignment.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

GOTTEM

GOTTEM

9. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

If ecu says its good, then its good

10. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

Have you done those TPS reports too? I'm gonna need them done by end of day

11. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

imagine needing electronics like this in a car. you can't call yourself a real car enthusiast if you let some electronic nanny assist monitor your throttle.

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

>add turbocharger to engine
      >computer has enough electronic nanny assist monitors that it just werks
      Yeah I'm thinking based

12. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

OP your vehicle is lying to you and at any moment you can expect loss of power, steering, and onboard electronics all at once. Didn't you read the fricking manual?

• 1 week ago
      Anonymous

GOTTEM

GOTTEM

13. 1 week ago
    Anonymous

turn it 2 degrees to the left and you'll hit 88 mph

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *