I recently bought a car and it only has a cassette player and fm/am.

I recently bought a car and it only has a cassette player and fm/am. What are the best upgrades one could make for their car’s stereo system?

As far as the cassette goes, should I get a Cassette Adapter that hooks up to my phone through aux or Bluetooth? Or should I buy regular old cassette tapes? Replace the radio all together even if it fricks with aesthetic?

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I would stick my cassette in him

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

She’s mine, good sir, but thanks for the input

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Cassette adapters are hit or miss in my experience, but now I use this thing and it works great.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I've had good luck with the arsvita adapters

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

lol I bought one of these in 2019, just recently broke, and any alternatives I've used, the audio quality sucks ass. This is the best one

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Aux adapter

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

i would not travel to another country for sex tourism because even with a condom on i'd still be nervous about getting stds. i'm going to stay in the USA and drive my 10 year old camry while i work doordash and stay a virgin.

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

having used tape to aux converters, fm radio transmitters, bluetooth speaker in the back seat, and aftermarket head units, i'd always recommend an aftermarket head unit if it's in the budget. i have DAtism so being able to fiddle with the eq on the fly, better sound quality, higher volume potential, etc., it's the only way forward imo. i had a kenwood xc704 put into my 99 plymouth voyager and it made my 1hr+ commute (one way) actually enjoyable, it's the single best thing i could've done to make the car fun.
    if you care less about obnoxious volume levels, and don't plan on upgrading your speakers or dumping a ton of money into it, the next best thing would be a cassette to aux converter. scosche makes a *decent* one, the wire is super skinny and can get fricked easily, but they're dirt cheap and sound alright for the cost. plus, if you have a cassette collection, it doesn't lock you out of listening to them like an aftermarket head unit would.
    fm transmitters are the worst of both worlds in my experience, just as fragile as a converter, sound quality is mediocre, and they're expensive (compared to a tape converter)
    picrel, kdc-x705 in my current daily 🙂

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Some fm converters have an aux output which you can use with a cassette adapter to have maximum sound quality without random mexicans interrupting the signals. Then you have a USB/BT player and the factory stereo

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>Some fm converters have an aux output which you can use with a cassette adapter to have maximum sound quality without random mexicans interrupting the signals.
        Why not just use a fricking cable at that point?

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Cause it plugs into the 12v outlet, monitors voltage, plays USB drives/tf & Bluetooth. Basically just got it to play mp3s from flash drives. And it goes through the cassette deck, so sounds great.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>had a kenwood xc704 put into my
      kek stopped reading there. wrenchlet

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Based wrenchlet patroller

https://i.imgur.com/U5pTUko.gif

be a cool kid
        >inb4 capeshit
        yes but does not devalue real casettes

The only good reason to use casettes is to make black metal, Vikernes style

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

this and the tacky colors are /k/ino in a shitbox.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

the tacky colours and little beeps make me nostalgic for the old head unit my grandfather had in his b2200, takes me back to a simpler time. plus it sounds better than factory, and sure as shit looks better than having a double din tablet style head unit lmao.

Some fm converters have an aux output which you can use with a cassette adapter to have maximum sound quality without random mexicans interrupting the signals. Then you have a USB/BT player and the factory stereo

this is a really solid idea, should've done this with my last vehicle. no aux on the factory head unit so this would've worked a lot better than just a cassette converter, would've kept the cables much tidier too.

6. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

a stereo and some speakers

7. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

an assload of sweet cassette tapes would be my first upgrade

8. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

If your tape deck supports Dolby Noise Reduction, then 100% any old Bluetooth 5.0 cassette will do lightyears better than anything short of ripping out the deck and putting in a new one.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

If it helps anyone in the thread, it’s an 87 Lincoln Town Car with the Ford Premium Sound stereo. I’m not too knowledgeable on how the stereo mechanics are, but it sounds great. It’s not the JBL upgraded system.

9. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Line in adapter is what you need op

10. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

be a cool kid
    >inb4 capeshit
    yes but does not devalue real casettes

11. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get the Mario Movie Cassette Tape

12. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Or should I buy regular old cassette tapes?

This is the only answer. Although, you probably should make sure everything works. Most cassette players rubber belts which should've perished by now if they haven't been replaced already.

Any other option, you may as well just replace the whole unit with something aftermarket.

13. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Frick nustereo

Return to radio

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>radio
      You mean the thing that plays commercials and occasionally a song?

14. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do you actually listen to AM/FM? If not keep the factory head unit in there and use it as a clock and just run a small 4 channel amplifier. Feed that with a 3.5mm input or a bluetooth receiver. Add a volume knob somewhere if you want. Speakers would obviously be the next upgrade.

If you really want a head unit try looking for the heavy duty/commercial truck varieties. They may not be pretty or factory looking but it beats that modern shiny black RGB bullshit.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The amp idea sounds interesting. I’ve never heard of it. Thank you I’ll look into it

15. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Had a few radio adaptors but none has as good sound quality as my ebay cassette bluetooth adaptor. Only downside is that it won't charge and play at the same time

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Is there a brand or is it just EBay?

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Bought the cheapest on eBay. According to others, quality is variable. Mine have been great.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

These sound like fricking ass. Get your ears checked

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>sound like fricking ass
        Maybe you got a shit one. Mine work great, better than any radio transmitter I've used and I've had plenty of them. I've got two of the cassettes now.

16. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I have a blue tooth cassette made by Arsvita. $20 on Amazon and it’s so much better than a shitty fm transmitter or aux cable

17. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Aux cassette adapter worked much better than fm transmitter for me.

18. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do not get any adapter, they sound like shit.
    Replace the head unit with something more modern. Make sure it has a quality Bluetooth codec (aac or aptx) or simply use aux

19. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Listen to the radio and get tapes of Ebay

20. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

buy cassettes and own your own music

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I buy CD's, rip them into 320kbps mp3's and put CD away. Transfer to iphone and play in car though an ebay bluetooth cassette.

21. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous
  22. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get a retro look head unit

23. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I put a Pioneer AVH-3500 in my 2006 beetle. I like the aesthetic of hide-away head units, and the best part is it goes full incognito when the display is stowed.
    >Now in the opposite end of the spectrum;
    If you're good with electronics and soldering, you can open up your radio and solder an aux wire to the traces between the cassette read head and the stereo amplifier. I did this on my first car and worked fine, but needed a blank cassette to be loaded,

24. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Cassettes, brother

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *