i regret not getting a panther platform. all i can think about is a grand marquis.

i regret not getting a panther platform. all i can think about is a grand marquis. i'm in a financial hell still dealing with all the wear maintenance for my supposedly low cost of ownership 90's toyota avalon. to think i'd have spent like 2 thousand less dollars on a car with basically the same reliability, but with a more comfortable ride and no timing belt. and no weird issue with a blue resistor piece on the back of the speedometer that makes it and the odometer not work which makes the car act like the speed sensor is broken. god damn it. maybe next year

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>and no timing belt.
    instead you get a timing chain with plastic guides that wear through and the engine eats itself

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>instead you get a timing chain with plastic guides that wear through and the engine eats itself

Bullshit, that's a very rare problem. Those engines regularly go 500,000 plus miles without issue so long as you change the oil.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

You're thinking of the later iterations of the modular engine.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Whale body Panthers like the one in the OP are exactly the versions with the shitty plastic chain guides, anon. 01-02 in particular.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Whale body refers to GM b-bodies, and the one in the OP is not an '01/'02. Why are you pretending like you know what you're talking about?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>Whale body refers to GM b-bodies
            the frick are you talking about, whale has been a panther term for longer than you've been alive, being the 98+ crown vics to differentiate from the 'aero' bodies (91-97) that had the sloped roof like a taurus or gm bathtub body
            op is an 06+ and firmly categorized as a whale

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>whale has been a panther term for longer than you've been alive,
            This moronic zoomer projection is hilarious. B-bodies were referred to as "whale bodies" when panthers were still aeros. The term came from a Motortrend article that called them "beached whales" and it stuck. Just because some moron on a forum used a stolen colloquialism means nothing. Now go tell your single mother she's failed you.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Comfy vintage website

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Plenty of cars had plastic guides. That was never the problem on the modular. It was oil starvation that led to their early failure.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

no panther ever had a 5.4 3v SOHC so that's irrelevant
            i am pretty sure the DOHC 4.6 3v in the Marauder did not have VCT and cam phasers since that wasn't introduced until 2005, but i am not familiar with the DOHC line

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

mostly correct, the marauder has the 4v DOHC, not the 3v (which is SOHC), and never had variable cam timing in the first place and so no phasers

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

The Marauder used the DOHC 4V that originated in the Mark VIII and no they didn't have VCT. Only '05-'10 4.6s and 5.4 had the SOHC 3V version but Aviators still used the 4V.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

4.6s are basically immortal. Belts only exist to reduce production cost by offloading work to the victim/owner.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>4.6s are basically immortal
        They really are.
        >grandma's '97 Marquis had a fluttering oil pressure gauge that frequently dropped down to zero
        >her neighbor (a """mechanic""") told her that it was just the sending unit dying and not to worry about it >she drove it for 3 days like this until the oil pressure gauge dropped completely to zero, then drove it 30 mins to my house for me to fix
        >checked the oil and it was bone dry
        >opened drain plug, literally nothing came out
        >turns out oil filter adaptor going into the block was leaking and pumped out all the oil
        >she ran it for days with pretty much no oil pressure
        >flushed the oil, topped it up
        >same engine still running smooth 40k miles later
        I love these things.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

My pop-pop had a third-gen MGM, it might have been an '03. Anyway, he drove that thing for four years or so, maybe 25k in-town miles, and never once got the oil changed. The 4.6 aint nothin' to frick with.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Grass isn't always greener anon.
    Your Toyota will last now that you've done all the work it needed, chances are you picked a car that passed you the buck. Next time spend more time researching and looking over the unit you're inspecting.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>no timing belt
    you change these things either every 60k miles, or 90k miles. understandable if you're annoyed doing it on a transverse v6, but otherwise are they really that bad??

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I had an 02 avalon that threw a rod after a year of ownership. Picked up an 06 town car a few months ago and holy fricking shit I'm so happy bros.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i've been thinking about those. i see some with custom paint jobs like dark blue or whatever and they look great, not as much like old people cars. the red ones too. hard as hell to find though
      how comfy is your town car?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

NTA but Town Cars are comfy af. They have better seats than CVs and GMs, they have more rear legroom and ride slightly better thanks to a longer wheelbase.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

even the 90's ones?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Yes, everything I said applies to both '90s and '00s Panthers.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

And yes, I've had both.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

Ford should have kept those sunburst reflectors on the Marquis.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Mine is in burgundy and I love it. Not a fan of silver or tan or the light colors.
        >how comfy is your town car?
        It's comfier than my old 92 Caprice Classic. Comfiest car I've ever owned, actually. How comfy is my Town Car? I drove it 13 hours straight, I did that 5 times. Every single time I'd get out of the car and wouldn't even be slightly tired. Not a wrinkle in my shirt. If you've ever done a long haul, I think that tells you everything you need to know. I feel like I could drive this thing from Anchorage to Buenos Aires and the only thing I'd ever worry about was having enough music for the journey, not even feel stiff when I step out of the thing.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

i didn't think the avalon would be so troublesome. it's just a stretched camry

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I wouldn't trade my '07 MGM LS for anything. 1600 rpm at 75 MPH. There's nothing better on the highway. My only complaints are 1. The AC drains into the frame. 2. The turn radius is horrendous. 42 inches or something crazy like that. and 3. The cabin gets insanely cold, or hot, depending on time of year. I couldn't be more pleased with it, overall.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I don't know where 42 inches came from . I meant to say 20.7 feet.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *