I want swap ideas. I have a budget of about $10k all in and would be doing all of the work myself.

I want swap ideas. I have a budget of about $10k all in and would be doing all of the work myself. I have done simpler engine swaps before and I know how to weld and I have a friend who does wiring and tunes aftermarket ecus. The car would just be for weekend driving. I just got an FC RX7 for scrap value ($300), it had been sitting in a nearby backyard for years half covered by a tarp and I always wanted it, when I saw them put a for sale sign up at the house I went over and made an offer. The engine is gone and I just now found out that in the past two years turbo 13Bs have like doubled in value. I'm considering an LS swap because I know I can get an aluminum 5.3 or a real LS for less than a turbo 13B, but I think it would be a shame to ruin its handling with the weight of an LS. I briefly considered a K swap but I don't want a 4cyl I want something that sounds cool.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

Unattended Children Pitbull Club Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>but I think it would be a shame to ruin its handling with the weight of an LS
    good thing that doesn't happen.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous
    • 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/JU0MYxT.png

https://i.imgur.com/Qk3mhPQ.jpeg

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/p1wIrPB.jpeg

[...]
      [...]

The iron block "LS" that everyone uses isn't the ls1, it's an lm4 or lm7 and those wiener suckers weigh 520lbs fully dressed with no trans attached.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Yeah it's somewhere over 100lb difference block to block with the cast iron vs the aluminum. That's why I specified LS when I posted about it, because if I ever LS swap anything it will be a real LS engine or at least one of the optional AL block engines that came in some trucks not a cast iron boat anchor 5.3 or 6.0. Those may be fine for trucks and drag cars but not for me.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

[...]
      [...]

These are all fake and gay
      Especially last two
      The scale weight of the 13b includes exhaust to cat, and intercollegiate and intercooler piping

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Post your pictures of your engines on a scale then. Otherwise we have no reason to consider you anything but a blabbering moron.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>I want an LS but not heavy
    how about an ls (lt really) minus 2 cylinders?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Well also...
      >I want something that sounds cool.
      I've heard plenty of V6 camaros with aftermarket exhaust, they're some of the worst sounding cars on the planet.

https://i.imgur.com/LyO6sMb.png

>but I think it would be a shame to ruin its handling with the weight of an LS
      good thing that doesn't happen.

Weight images I posted just now aside, I am not interested in disembodied weights of what is probably some rando's stripped out drift or track car with no AC or PS or any of that vs a stock fully equipped car. I am not building a track car and the fact of the matter is that an LS will be a lot heavier than a similarly dressed 13B as seen here

[...]
      [...]

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Its not stripped out, and it won't be a lot heavier. but you're welcome to continue coping.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

That's not the same car as the image you posted before. You went from telling me it's lighter to telling me it's heavier but "it's only a little bit". Get your story straight.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>You went from telling me it's lighter
            i never said that, i just said it won't ruin the handling or anything of the sort, and posted an image of them being of similar weight. then you coped by saying it was stripped out, so i posted one specifically mentioning that it includes trans air con abs power steering etc.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>i never said that,
            You literally posted a screenshot claiming it.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you must be moronic and can't read, then.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Only way an LS is lighter is if you get rid of shit like your air conditioning, power steering, etc. Which is certainly a way to go, but you could also delete all of that shit without a swap and you'd be even lighter. With that said, the difference between any two engines really isn't that much compared to the whole weight of the car unless you're looking at something dumb like a diesel or V10.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

You may have a friend that does wiring, but the wiring for a V8 swap is far beyond normal wiring jobs
          9/10 times, even when shops do the swap, it's a massive clusterfrick that has endless gremlins
          Pic related is the wiring work of a shop "experienced" in LS swaps

Are we just meant to believe what's posted on some random forums without any other details? Considering it was a build for his track car he very well could have done a lot of weight stripping. Just becuase it retains powersteering/abs/ac doesn't mean nothing else was stripped such as interior components. Swapped out battery for a smaller battery, lighter wheels, obviously ditching the heavy factory exhaust in favour of a lighter custom exhaust etc.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Good god. I wouldn't let anyone do that to my car, and it's a practically abandoned FC with faded paint not an FD. It looks like they just chopped a bunch of stuff out like a junkyard car. I have done some wiring myself and I like to make everything reversible but my friend has all of the experience and good crimping tools including those for those round connectors that they use in race applications, he's an A&P and does harnesses on homebuilt aircraft for people sometimes. I don't think he would Black person up my car like that because he knows I wouldn't Black person up his car welding for him.

Honestly, get a turbo 13b. They're up in price now, but you can still get it done at budget. An LS swap is a really stupid amount of work that never comes out quite as clean as you wanted so it's basically only ever worth it if you have a clean FD body you love but you also hate rotaries. Also, this is just a personal thing but I hate the idea of swapping an RX-7. I am on board with engine swaps and actually my truck is swapped, but if you're just doing it to get away from rotaries, buy literally any other car. It's cheaper, easier, and leaves a rotary out there for some moron like me who actually likes them.

Lucky for you there's no engine in this car. So even if it were left for you there wouldn't be a 13B in it for you to nurse back to health. I actually don't even know what happened to the engine that was in this car but knowing mazdas it was probably overheated and destroyed itself. I still might do a 13B I don't know I was hoping for some interesting ideas but all I got were morons in my thread suggesting V6s and an LS fanboy insisting that LS swaps add no weight to a car that I don't even have (FD).

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>So even if it were left for you there wouldn't be a 13B in it for you to nurse back to health
            The cringe factor for me personally is that the swap is a one way street. The car will never be the same after the swap process, a rotor will never have it's home. Again though, I just don't think the work is worth it in this case and for your reasons. You need "an" engine and you're looking at options and that makes sense. Dropping another 13b in there is going to be easier and cheaper by a wide margin and the only way it'll even be close is if you do half the job and have no A/C or anything to go with that LS.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Just hit "buy" on that LS swap kit instead of waiting for someone here to validate your purchase already, homosexual

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>Are we just meant to believe what's posted on some random forums without any other details? Considering it was a build for his track car he very well could have done a lot of weight stripping. Just becuase it retains powersteering/abs/ac doesn't mean nothing else was stripped such as interior components. Swapped out battery for a smaller battery, lighter wheels, obviously ditching the heavy factory exhaust in favour of a lighter custom exhaust etc.
            kek, all that fricking cope.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

i got a friend that swapped an ls6 in his old dodge truck, the wireing is super frickign simple, just buy a aftermarket EFI. He uses an msd efi, as long as the original car isn't too complex it shoudn't be such a mess

3. 1 month ago
    Greased Geese

2.3l mustang/pinto into a vw dunebuggy

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>2.3l pinto
      The 'too poor for a cosworth' engine.

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Mazda K series v6.

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

You could probably find a renesis for cheap

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'd rather put one of the shitty V6s people have suggested so far in it than a Renesis. Eww

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Vortec 4200

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

K swap, but Mazda

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

lol, you want to swap a ls1 into that for under 10k good luck.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a shitty 6-port scrap engine and P-port it.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Honestly, get a turbo 13b. They're up in price now, but you can still get it done at budget. An LS swap is a really stupid amount of work that never comes out quite as clean as you wanted so it's basically only ever worth it if you have a clean FD body you love but you also hate rotaries. Also, this is just a personal thing but I hate the idea of swapping an RX-7. I am on board with engine swaps and actually my truck is swapped, but if you're just doing it to get away from rotaries, buy literally any other car. It's cheaper, easier, and leaves a rotary out there for some moron like me who actually likes them.

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Keialer automation do an excellent v6 LFX swap for the Rx8. Seeing as the car doesn't have a lot of things you might be able to swap in rx8 parts.

https://www.keislerautomation.com/universal-lfx-products

As an Rx8 chad dedicated to rotarys, one of the few acceptable swaps is a decent V6. The LFX makes 300hp stock, with a turbo/super charger you can get some serious horses in you're jap box.

A V6 weighs less and is a better fit for the engine bay. In turn improving handling characteristics

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I'd rather just rew swap an rx8. You can buy everything to make it a turn key swap with minimal wiring (extending a few sensor wires) and you retain a/c.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

Aren't crate REW's 10g now? Unless you're rebuilding an old engine it ain't worth the cost

12. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

my LS1 weights in at 386lbs with no AC compressor.
    made 381rwhp with a baby camshaft and headers.

but LS swaps aren't as cheap as ppl claim.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Depends on which """LS""" you use. tbf the LS1 is kind of shit. When most people say "LS swap" They're referring to the iron block truck engines which are plentiful and can had for nothing. Obviously a true alloy block Corvette or Camaro LS isn't cheap but when you consider the naturally aspirated power you can get out of it it's not a bad value.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

even if you go truck engine, LS swaps ain't cheap.
        people who say that are lying or just bad with math.
        I've torn apart gays who claimed they did sub ,$5,000 swaps.

also, LS1 are fine.
        a tad overpriced, but they make good power while being reliable and light.
        ain't no LS3 but still.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

No one has ever done a cheap LS swap into an RX7
          Anyone who tries ends up with a half pulled apart car for 10 years making zero progress
          Otherwise it's a build done by a shop with hundreds of hours racked up and costing up to and over 20k (if done for a customer)
          302 or 308 etc swaps into FBs and FCs are a lot more straight forward and cheaper, but still far from easy

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I spent about $25,000 doing an LS swap in a turd Gen Camaro.
            although I basically went with All the most expensive parts.
            $4,000 T56 Magnum transmission for example.
            like the car a lot but LS swaps ain't cheap

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *