I want to become a mechanic

But i dont have any experience, i would like to be a car mechanic but if not i could also be a boat mechanic since i live in south Florida.

Many people including my parents have told me not to do that and to go look for another profession.

What do you guys say ??

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Be a plumber instead, lots of money. Mechanics aren't paid much since most people are fricking poor. If you must work in cars, get ASE certs then because A SERVICE ADVISOR at a dealership.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

THIS

Op if you want to work with your hands become a plumber or electrician and join a union. Being a mechanic is fricking thankless work and pays significantly less for what you’re expected to do. If you want to work on cars work on them in your free time but do something else for a career.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>since most people are fricking poor.
      easy to forget this. very true though.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

boat mechanics make fricking bank. my bro had a cabin cruiser and some greasebag white trash looking guy came to fix an issue with it. we got to chatting and the guy tells me has a $120k donzi ocean racer that costs MINIMUM $300 every time he takes it out for a rip

i think the repair took an hour or so and was like $500

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>boat mechanic since i live in south Florida.

I would look in to that if i were you

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just youtube a bunch of basic repairs and lie a little and say you have beginner experience

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My third eye tells you should be in the medical field, there are lots of women waiting for you.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't.
    >t. mechanic

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Find another profession and don't look back.
      >t. mechanic

I want to unbecome a mechanic.

Mechanic bros, do you think you could open a shop if someone gave you half a mil to get started and make it profitable? Or is it just too saturated and that's the end of it?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Everyone wants good service but doesn't want to pay for it. It's a race to the bottom honestly and the EPA will take every opportunity to rape you with fines

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I think it's mainly a race to the bottom because there are three ways to do it:

1. Dealerships, who take all the normies.
          2. Smaller shops/chains/independents who take the cost-conscious (or cheap) customers.
          3. Shops that mainly service insurance claims / help dealerships do work they don't have capacity for.

It seems like #3 can do alright and there is a niche in #2 where you build a loyal clientelle/reputation, but that's iffy.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yeah. I could most likely do it with less. I'm booked out for weeks at work and with side work. I also have other car lots sending me cars. I have two mechanic friends in similar positions ready to make a move like that.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

So, can you price it out? Would you be willing to work with an investor and give them a percentage in perpetuity?

Do you feel like you would need a lot in a central location, how many lifts? If so, how much will the building cost, or you think rent?

You would be surprised how many people there are that would be willing to hand you a lot of money if you went 50/50 with them in perpetuity. The problem is that it's a hard pill to swallow since as a mechanic, you likely feel the investor isn't doing anything.

Why haven't you gone independent by yourself if you have side work, or you do it at your work's shop?

What do you think your annual income would be?

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I can absolutely price it out and we wouldn't need more than a good compressor, tire equipment, alignment rack, and two to four lifts. I've worked with much less. I've entertained the idea of going independent, but the three obstacles I face are finding a building in a decent location, finding the time to begin the process, and the fact that I absolutely hate being a mechanic. Twelve years of it and I'm completely burned out and it breaks your body down. As for the side work it's either at the shop, at the client's house, or a mobile call if they've broken down somewhere.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Find another profession and don't look back.
    >t. mechanic

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Everyone telling you not to do it is correct.
    It's one the worse paying jobs compared to any other equivalent trade, Plumber, electrician, construction etc.
    You will get fricked with shit butthole customers, fricked dealer/ flat rates and everybody you know expects you to change their grandma's oil for free every weekend.
    You'll be so tired of fixing every shitbox coming through the bay door, you'll lose any interest in whatever got you interested into the hobby to begin with.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I want to unbecome a mechanic.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why must our trade be resented Brothers?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Because people see driving as a right and us charging labor to keep their car roadworthy is seen as a violation of their rights

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Join the army and sign on to be a mechanic.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Go to a trade school or join a union apprenticeship.
    Tell your parents to eat a dick. I have made substantially more money, with no debt, than every single person I know who went to college.
    Basically, my worst year was about $80k usd and my best was $210k. I average right at $100k. I will never be rich, but I never have to worry.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Heavy equipment mechanic is where the money is.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you want to become a mechanic, focus on working on vehicles that produce revenue like trains, trucks, ships, large planes, heavy equipment, etc.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

There are a lot of options you can frick with, so many options. The pay is low, and the work contorts your body. You will get injuries (literally every mechanic I know above 40 is dealing with severe carpal tunnel and more rarely back problems). If you're OK with that, here are two ways to start off from nothing.
    1: Trade schools will teach you everything in 16-18 months. Get ready to pay at most $1k. After that it's years of doing tires and oil changes for you.
    2: The army will take you for free and you will get experience quick, no mr lube shit, straight into the fray. Downside is 4 years of your life at like $40k a year and the army just trying to frick you in general all the time with a massively increased workload.
    3: If you're lucky, a small-time mechanic shop will take you on as a labourer. You start not even touching cars but eventually if you're likeable you'll be able to slither your way into a better position. This is what I did (though in a slightly different industry).
    If you ask a mechanic if you should become one, a million goy shopslaves will come out of the woodwork begging you not to. It's not that bad. You can specialize and make good money

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>two ways
      Yea im moron OK

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Cars are a pain. Do boats, scooters, motorcycles, or small engines. Or something else if you want the big bucks.

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Be a diesel mechanic. You'll get paid well and get big muscles.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

in coastal georgia, the savannah area, being an outboard mechanic is a good trade i hear. my nephew decided on outboards himself, after i sent him dozens of vids of drone bait in ukraine/russia, thereby convincing him not to go military. i didnt suggest outboards at all, he did his research and spoke with people in the area, school advisors, etc

my 2 cents as someone working in an office: everyone goes to an auto mechanic, including a lot of trashy sleeze balls that youll have to deal with. in the outboard world, its a little bit better. most of your normy trash dont own a boat, and the rough frickers that do will be working on their own motor. youll deal with a higher percentage of level-headed middle-class guys with some disposable income while working on outboards, compared to auto. all groups will have their shitbags, but you'll get a bit better clientele dealing with outboards. the downside is, the demand for boat motor mechanics isn't as big as auto mechanics and is a lot more geographically dependent

also worth thinking about right now, for most people boats are just toys and when a recession hits, they dont care about their toys, whereas everyone needs some wheels to get to work. but in south florida? there will always be some well-off retirees from NYC who want their boat motor worked on

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I live in south florida so thats a plus i guess.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just get a job as a lube tech and see how you like it. I worked at a sleazy used car shop for a few years after high school and enjoyed the work quite a bit, only left cause of shit pay. And that was in the midwest where everythings rusted to shit, it would be alot nicer in florida.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *