I want to become a mechanic but do not have the experience

But i dont have any experience, i would like to be a car mechanic but if not i could also be a boat mechanic since i live in south Florida.

Many people including my parents have told me not to do that and to go look for another profession.

What do you guys say ??

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Please look for literally ANY OTHER career. Auto mechanic is a dogshit job and wages have not kept up.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Being a mechanic is fricking thankless work and pays significantly less for what you’re expected to do. If you want to work on cars work on them in your free time but do something else for a career.

7 years a mechanic here and seconding this. The work beats the shit out of you, you're constantly surrounded by cancer causing chemicals, customers treat you like shit, and the pay is eh. I can only tolerate because I work at a high end shop so the $ is okay but I couldnt imagine doing what I do for 20 an hr.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

This. Another anon mentioned shitbox fatigue and that happens with your own cars let alone a sea of them in your shop. That compounded with the clients you will hate will make you hate yourself.

If you must do mechanic work try outside of automotive like heavy equipment or marine.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Being a mechanic is fricking thankless work and pays significantly less for what you’re expected to do. If you want to work on cars work on them in your free time but do something else for a career.

[...]
      7 years a mechanic here and seconding this. The work beats the shit out of you, you're constantly surrounded by cancer causing chemicals, customers treat you like shit, and the pay is eh. I can only tolerate because I work at a high end shop so the $ is okay but I couldnt imagine doing what I do for 20 an hr.

Can someone explain the endgame of nobody becoming an auto mechanic? Is this a sustainable economic strategy that bodes well for the future?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>verification not required

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>mechanic jobs get automated
        >only robots at the dealership can actually service your car (and pirated bots too i guess)
        >the dealership can refuse service so you'll need a new car
        >if we're lucky, old car can be recycled completely. IF we're real lucky.
        >mechanic wages go WAY up because this process all needs people, but there will be few mechanics in the shifting markets ready to take on the new challenges
        >mechanics will get way more specialized to one brand, as they will have tools and software and robots custom fitted for that brand (Ford mech, GM mech, Toyota mech, etc)
        >AI to give advice will be super developed for all your diagnostic needs, as opposed to many shops playing the "parts cannon" game
        >If they start making the sensors better (more common-sense and resiliency), we could actually use the computers to make it more reliable by giving user more info about what's happening, instead of my Ford's ABS trying to kill me by turning on at the wrong time, making me wish I had a killswitch for it
        Oh I forgot to mention the implied: the vehicle will be designed around the idea that it must be taken apart by specialized bots for maintenance/EOL. Most people will choose the latter, according to what they want. For some reason. Since there will be very few humans left who will know how to take it apart, these humans will be expensive and desperate. In other words, your car will no longer be user-serviceable besides very basic maintenance. You'll need to hack it to fix it, like a videogame.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>mechanics get automated
          >asw wrenchdrone #1337 loses a 10mm
          5 minutes later:

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Nobody wants to wrench because mechanics get treated like dirt, get paid dirt, and have to furnish their own tools. There are definitely exceptions to this, but that's why most marine repair places are booked out for 6 months.

The same is true for auto and truck mechanics. It's a specialized trade and they want to treat it like it's just a hire off the street job. Unfortunately for them, you can't do that.

I was an auto mechanic for about 10 years. I quit and brought my tools home. I've mostly been driving truck, welding, and fixing boats since. Mechanic pay hasn't increased since I quit. Most of the guys I know from those days are all doing something else too.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If you're interested in building cars, do machining instead. After a decade in the trade and moving into performance, that's what I've learned.

It's not thankless this guy's just not good at it probably works at a dealership or chain store

[...]

>The work beats the shit out of you
      Stop being a pussy try working ground crew for an arborist. Mechanic isn't physically tasking for any healthy male
      >constantly surrounded by cancer causing chemicals
      Only if you believe California. California says copper is cancerous mind
      >customers treat you like shit
      They treat me like a god idk what you're doing wrong
      >the pay is eh
      I'd say the pay is shit actually.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Behold the classic "never wears gloves" type of mechanic. Automotive fluids of all forms are awful for you, the damage isn't immediate but cumulative.

3. 2 months ago
    s10fag

get a job at maccas and buy a shitbox you have to constantly work on, you'll make more money without indebting yourself to snapon

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

NTA but i already do this and it’s hellish. there’s hardly much time (or energy) left in you to want to wrench on your rides over the weekend if you get to work a lot of hours.

• 2 months ago
        s10fag

Get into delivery at a pizza place, it was fun and you get way more with tips and milage. Literally any other trade is better as a job. Therese a reason we have an entire board for auto and kick all the other trades into DA.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Heavy equipment mechanic is where the money is.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Agreed
      There is no flat rate in heavy equipment work, its all under contracts.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Cars are a pain. Do boats, , motorcycles, or small engines. Or something else if you want the big bucks.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

by the time you're trained up business will be flatlining thanks to EVs

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why is there a troony on his videos?

• 2 months ago
      p

Why am I a troony?

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>could also be a boat mechanic since i live in south Florida.

boat mechanics make fricking bank. my bro had a cabin cruiser and some mobile tech guys came to fix an issue with it. we got to chatting and the guy tells me that for service on the ocean is a MINIMUM $300 just to go out every time

i think the repair took an thirty minutes or so and was like $500

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

he people in any industry that do a lot of the work, make less money. There’s a lot of money in boat repairs, but that doesn’t trickle down to the mechanics. Sort of like how there’s a lot of money in hotel ownership, but the lady who cleans the room isn’t paid like a hotel owner. A boat mechanic can make good money. They do this by opening a shop, or working at a shop long enough to be the top dog in that shop. Entry level mechanics in any industry don’t make a lot of money. Fact is, there’s a lot of really bad mechanics out there (in all industries) and no one pays them well until they prove their a good mechanic.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I turn wrenches.

If you bring your boat to me, labor is $120/hr. In todays market

If I have to come to your boat, labor is $150/hr.

I charge 15% over cost for parts and materials simple as is

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Boats can be a pretty good job if you live near a port or someplace where there's big stuff to work on. It's definitely a tier or two above automotive, which you shouldn't even consider. The mechanic job to go for is aviation though. Best pay, everything's not mega joint destructin heavy like heavy equipment, and you don't get any tweakers bringing you clapped out Pontiac Montanas full of moldy Dunkin cups and needle caps.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

In any repair business the guy that runs an operation in house is the one making the most money,
    >no rent
    >no utilitie bills
    >no permits
    >and no other bullshit fees.

There is a man running a European car repair shop in his own backyard 3 acres and

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>could also be a boat mechanic

The guys killing it are on their own. One guy near me who has an old ambulance as his mobile shop is booked six weeks out and keeps 100% of what he earns obviously minus overhead, minus time spent working on accounting, stocking the truck, dealing with taxes

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

in coastal georgia, the savannah area, being an outboard mechanic is a good trade i hear. my nephew decided on outboards himself, after i sent him dozens of vids of drone bait in ukraine/russia, thereby convincing him not to go military. i didnt suggest outboards at all, he did his research and spoke with people in the area, school advisors, etc

my 2 cents as someone working in an office: everyone goes to an auto mechanic, including a lot of trashy sleeze balls that youll have to deal with. in the outboard world, its a little bit better. most of your normy trash dont own a boat, and the rough frickers that do will be working on their own motor. youll deal with a higher percentage of level-headed middle-class guys with some disposable income while working on outboards, compared to auto. all groups will have their shitbags, but you'll get a bit better clientele dealing with outboards. the downside is, the demand for boat motor mechanics isn't as big as auto mechanics and is a lot more geographically dependent

also worth thinking about right now, for most people boats are just toys and when a recession hits, they dont care about their toys, whereas everyone needs some wheels to get to work. but in south florida? there will always be some well-off retirees from NYC who want their boat motor worked on

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

> this thread again

automotive shops. Shops charge $130 an hour and pay the mechanics $17-23 hour (based on book time) in rural NC at least. Mechanics doing the work directly (that are taking on overhead and risks etc) for $50/hour

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Go heavy equipment, stationary shit like generators, or boat/plane mechanic. Otherwise you're gonna be miserable. You live in Florida, just do HVAC and make bank

15. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>pay is shit
    You homosexuals charge $150/hr. What the frick are your even whining about

>Wahh I only make $24000 a month wahhh!

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Nice troll I'll reply. First my shop charges 95. Second, that goes to the shop not the mechanic. Lastly plumbers charge just as much but with relatively 0 overhead in comparison. Theirs is a van, ours is an entire property, dedica building/s, lifts that cost as much as his van each, and then various other large tools like presses and brake lathes. Frickin stupid.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>Plumber
        >Has to root around in literal shit
        Vs
        >Car mechanic
        >Has to deal with brake dust and engine grime

I'm not saying the job isn't work, but you are getting $80 for an oil change. You can't sit and b***h that you aren't making good money.
        >My shop charges 95
        Good for you. All the places around me are $150
        >That's the shop rate
        Well someone is making an ass load of money. Go be that guy. $150 per hour is fricking wild

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Go be that guy

then we'd have no mechanics

16. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It's a dead end job with an uncertain future. Not worth going into.

17. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't know about Florida but in Eastern canada diesel boat mechanics can literally name their price.
    Can be dirty work but crazy pay especially for fishing boats rather than regular boats.

18. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

most mechanics i know seem to really hate it

19. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

auto mechanic- spend $50000 and make low hourly wage.
    Electrician- spend 500 in tools and charge people 300 just to show up to their house

I was a mechanic for 4 years. Pay is not worth the investment in tools. Get a high paying job and play with cars for fun on the weekends

20. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't do it. Luckily covid happened and I got governmental gibs and completed my college degree instead and never looked back.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What did you do with your college degree?

21. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Biggest fricking gripes about the automotive industry its self in my opinion
    >#1 management.
    Upper management seems to not even give shit about techs its all about sales and inquiries, service riders have no clue about cars engines or any other stuff relating to mechanics , when i started in the trade most service managers were ex mechanics that have moved up to the position, they knew exactly what each job took and how long it would take worst/best case scenario , it was easy to take guidance and mentorship from them and advice Wich played a big role.

>#2 unions.
    Unions in todays work force will either be a hit or miss , when you constantly see unions save bums and slackers back and forth , people that lie and fail drug exams or that comited crimes in the job site, you quickly realize the meme of what a union job is, i had a legitimate grievance that made me miss 2 days in a row , with that in itself got me written up and demoted at my last job as soon as they threatened to cut my pay check i walked right out the window.

>#3 the absurdity of modern vehicles
    the cars are getting more and more difficult to repair , its almost (and again i mean this in a strange and weird way) as if cars are being built to not even be repaired at all.
    >example had a 2022 hyndai tucson that came in with an intermittent misfire checked every thing on the ignition side nothing , checked everything in the fuel system nothing, frick it test it out nothing seems to bad about it but a strange misfire, deep dive in to the motor internally, found some weird metallic substance looked almost like a small bb or pellet in cylinder 3 causing this with out the motor to be internally damaged / til this day we believe this was a supposed factory issue.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Let give you my background.

I started in this industry back in 1999 at the age of 17 straight up dropped out of high school, and worked at big independent repair shop, back when there were no background checks so you pretty much worked with undesirable people, it took thick skin to work around other techs and balls to work on the shittiest jobs that were given to you , the older mechanics were grouches until after a year that they saw what you were capable of and thats when they shared their knowledge and boy did they have a lot of it, i was told that some of them were only there just for knowledge and it is true, that’s something no tech school no book or youtube video will ever teach you !!

The actual good mechanics get no recognition at all in todays world , there is only about 3 out of 10 mechanics that are good in every shop or dealership you go to, because these men did not go to school , they simply started there career at a young age ,

> this is not to down play you or bash you but find another career. This one is about to be dead.

22. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>apply to programmer job with U.S. Postal Service
    >add mechanic job and take their written exams because I want to prove my shitbox autism skills
    >pass all exams
    >manager of local vmf emails me with interview for "garage assistant" (wasn't posted) which is basically combination janny, towing cars, oil changes, shuttling cars
    >go there, shop is enormous with like 3 people working in it
    >Have grumman LLV autism and want to work on them
    >there's also lots of other toys to soothe the autism like a huge zamboni floor cleaner and tow trucks (which I would drive)
    idk what to do, I'm a fricking NEET. I think I would only do it to try to get a wfh job with uncle sam where I sit around in my pampers all day doing nothing

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If the pay is good then why not?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Place seemed way more laid-back than the dealershit I worked at and it's like 10 minutes away, hopefully I get an offer. Supposedly, few people that take their exams (~10%) pass so I think I have a good chance.

23. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Why i cant have good money and be a mechanic?

Why should i go in fckin stupid troony IT shiet for money???

24. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you had the experience you wouldn't want to become a mechanic.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

is it really bad?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yes if you REALLY REALLY want to wrench for anything but passenger car. Engineers who make cars think nothing but humiliation rituals wrench monkeys will have to suffer.

25. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Don't. You'll have to deal with shitheads accusing you of scamming them because some virgins on plebbit said so.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *