I want to stop being a wrenchlett. I can buy the tools and I can watch youtube tutorials.

I want to stop being a wrenchlett. I can buy the tools and I can watch youtube tutorials.

But I live in the city and I dont have a garage. Is it game over?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

Homeless People Are Sexy Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You just do it on the side of the city street on in an industrial area. Did this type of stuff for years before owning a home. There's no excuse.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Not OP, but in my area you would have the cops called on you for suspicious behavior and arrested for something stupid (cops would make up something). Then your car impounded and seized by the city. Then auctioned off to the nearby used car lot and sold to Jamal at zero down 500% interest. Then trashed and sent to the local junk yard for me to visit it and cry until it's crushed.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

What city? That pic was taken in Portland, so obviously anything goes.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>impounded
        >standing on stacks of 2x4s
        kek, have fun, the cops sure as hell aren't lowering the car after properly mounting the wheels back

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

the tow Black folk will just drag it off whatever shit is holding it up and dolly it away

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

pure fantasy

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

What if it's something that takes more than a day, am I supposed to just leave it there like that?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

plan ahead. start working early. daylight savings ends soon. you’ll have plenty of time to get shit done.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>ends
          starts***

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Friend of mine did an engine swap in a high school parking lot over a weekend when he lived in an apartment kek

• 2 months ago
      Bepis

This

Also work harder and get a place witb a driveway at minimum to work out there in peace.

Or go to the VatoZone parking lot like the real hustlers and do it there.

Picrel was swapping an alternator in my workplace parking lot. Shit sucks tho, I love being in the garage with all the tools and equipment right there and a roof when it starts raining 2/3 of the way through a job.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Did the same before. The worst is when your struggling because theres a tool at home you know would be perfect but nothing at your work that will suffice. But that's all part of the experience, you gotta learn to work with what you got sometimes

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Buy 300pc toolkit and work outside on the curb in warmer months like a mexican. Motorcycle work may be easier because no lift needed. Or, find a friend/relative with a garage or reprioritize your life so you can get a garage, if you move out of the city for a different job you should be able to rent a house with garage. If you can't do that alone find roommates.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

feels good to be a trailer park boy. got all my shitboxes loaded in the driveway and no one to harass me. feels good bros.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm on the opposite side of this equation: I have a covered carport with a smooth concrete pad to work on, but I own zero tools. Brother just gave me his old car, it's a 2010 chevy impala with ~110k miles, needs work

>hasn't had oil changed in about 10k miles
    >needs brakes
    >needs tires
    >needs one headlight replaced
    >seatbelt latch broke
    >radio doesn't work
    >HVAC actuators are stripped and need replaced (what he told me, car "ticks" for like 2 minutes every time you start and stop it)

Literally all I own tool wise is an iFixit electronics repair kit, which might be handy for the radio? but otherwise I've got nothing, and now I realize I need a jack and jackstands to do the most pressing stuff, hoping chrisfix videos will get me through it all. But i'm also a poorgay so trying to figure out what tools are best ratio of inexpensive but not dogshit. frick man

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

you can do pretty much everything on your list, and a large amount of other tasks, with just a jack, jack stands/cribbing and a socket set. it's a good place to start, then you add tools for each task you need to do over time. you might need a security bit for the seatbelt latch.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Head to harbor freight, you'll need a socket set (start with deep well), maybe a combination wrench set, pliers, jack, jackstands, oil pan, and a filter wrench.

go to google or youtube, type in the exact year make model of your car like this:
      >2010 Honda Civic
      Then add whatever it is you need to fix
      >oil change
      >brake pad change
      >headlight
      >seatbelt

If its a common car you'll find dozens of videos showing you exactly how to do it, and sometimes even the exact tools you need to do it. Its the weekend and you could do oil change, seat belt, and even headlight repair. You'll need a socket set, oil filter strap wrench, oil pan, oil filter, and the oil. Get some blue shop towels and brake cleaner while you're buying the tools.

Head to weekend wrenching general on DA if someone made a thread. Post your exact car, what tools you do have and ask them how to do something. Most guys there are super helpful and will at least tell you the tools you need to buy and probably even the parts. Dont' expect to be spoonfed for everything, you do have to figure some shit out on your own. Why did you buy an ifixit kit? To repair a phone or gameboy thing? Same idea for the car. You need a basic set of tools, find a guide how to replace something and what parts to buy.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>brakes
      harbor freight jack, jack stands from anywhere else, wrench set, socket set, rubber hammer, brake caliper tool kit
      https://www.amazon.com/Orion-Motor-Tech-Compressor-Replacement/dp/B01FW3U26G/
      >tires
      get some clearance 500tw shit and take it to a shop if you dont have access to a tire machine
      >one headlight
      socket set
      >seat belt latch
      socket set and extenders to unbolt seat so you can get at it

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I worked at a factory building picrel. Starting pay is over $25/hr now. Get paid to learn how to build and rebuild industrial equipment using factory tools

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Brother worked as a pre delivery inspector and had to be laid off do to a frick up with the new system because parts couldn't be ordered.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just be a wrenchlet and buy the Carmax warranty.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Apparently a guy at my church works on cars and has jacks and stuff. I'm going to look into that because I'm in a similar situation and need my fluids changed

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

for oil changes and other basic stuff like that you can just drive up onto a curb or use the car's basic scissor jack and stack up scrap wood for support.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My track car lives in a shared shop space that I rent a spot in for $400/month. I think that's a much better set up than working on stuff at home which I used to do before

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>no money for an actual house with garage
      >money for $400 subscription plan to rent a part of a garage
      zoomers are beyond help lmao

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>I will continue to make any excuse possible to not physically do something, b b b ut it's not my fault!!!11!
    Where are wrenchlette always like this?

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Here's a weird idea, find a shop that has some "enthusiast" crowd and try to befriend them (i know, strange concept for a changay) if you get on good terms with them i bet you can at least use whatever scrap of land they have to wrench on your own. I'm drawing only from my experience but shop people can be surprisingly friendly when you arent a total shithead and want to actually learn wrenching, you can get some corner to work and even some real advice, doesn't harm if you "chip in" for the maintenance costs not to mooch off them, extends the good will a long way. Just remember, enthusiast shop, if you see people doing weird shit, that's your spot.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *