If I needed a breaker bar to remove the lug nuts on my car wheel, does this mean I also need a torque wrench with massive leverage to get them back to...

If I needed a breaker bar to remove the lug nuts on my car wheel, does this mean I also need a torque wrench with massive leverage to get them back to specified tightening? (130 according to owner's manual) Or will a regular one suffice? Trying to figure out if I need two torque wrenches (so, the wheel nuts one and also a one for other parts of my car).

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

CRIME Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

tightening torque for the wheels is between 108 - 147 Nm according to the owner's manual

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>between 108 - 147 Nm according to the owner's manual
      That's basically a lol just tighten it until it's hard to turn rule of thumb at that range.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>massive leverage
    130 Nm is what, about 13 kgs of weight on the end of a 1-meter bar (assuming the bar weighs nothing), or about 26 kg applied to the end of a typical 50 cm long wrench?
    You can probably produce that much force somehow, with your weight if nothing else works. Try not to stumble and hurt yourself when the wrench slips, though.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

He is from belgium. Trust me, he needs the lever.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

bro, how the frick?

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

First time your handler has fricked up and made a comment he shouldn't have?

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

handler?
            speak english.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

His previous thread is still alive.
            You have three options. Cheapest to most expensive:
            A) buy a breaker bar to open the nuts. When you are closing, use only half lever to tighten.
            B) buy torque wrench. Use it as a breaker bar when opening. When closing, use 130Nm.
            C) buy both. Use breaker bar to open, and torque wrench to close. This is by the book.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

I'm leaning on option C anon. But I'm inquiring about the lenght of said torque wrench.

I dont understand why I can close the lug nuts with just a short torque wrench. But I needed a breaker bar to get them loose.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

you're pushing it until you hear the click or see a visual indicator show that you've reached the torque you've set it to. you probably don't even realise how much more effort you use to torque it up compared to breaking it loose with an extra long cheater bar.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

oh and also over time, heat cycling can also make stuff get stuck. when your wheels heat up and cool down repeatedly from driving and braking that affects the nuts

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

A torque wrench usually will be long enough to achieve it's highest setting with reasonable force from the end of the bar.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

also look up static vs dynamic force

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>But I needed a breaker bar to get them loose.
            Corrosion can cause lug nuts/bolts to become more tight. Also some tire shops, car mechanics etc. they sometimes tighten the lug bolts/nuts well past the car manufacturer specifications. I have experience of this because my cars aluminum alloy rims lug bolts are supposed to be tighten to 120Nm, but some "professionals" have tighten the lug bolts to somewhere between 130-155Nm.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/5QDnXbz.jpeg

If I needed a breaker bar to remove the lug nuts on my car wheel, does this mean I also need a torque wrench with massive leverage to get them back to specified tightening? (130 according to owner's manual) Or will a regular one suffice? Trying to figure out if I need two torque wrenches (so, the wheel nuts one and also a one for other parts of my car).

>I don't understand why I can close the lug nuts with just a short torque wrench. But I needed a breaker bar to get them loose.
            I just got through drilling a stud so allow me to explain why you need the forces needed:
            1.People who "Self serve" or jackoff shop swabbies with airguns like this

just hit it with the impact gun until it stops spinning op

over tighten the shit out of them sometimes.
            2.You are tightening it to a specific torque not just too keep the part on through vibration, but to also free it after it's done wearing/tearing on the road from forces far greater. The lugs tend to get stuck at the acorn/taper, not the threads. This is because they're made of steel and the hub is softer so it bites into them.
            3. Manufactures (such as ford) have patented magical self swelling lug-nuts with advanced engineered chrome caps that speed up the process, resulting in a lug nut that has no socket between metric or SAE that will fit it.

Here's what you can do to easen the amount of force needed to break them:
            >Take an impact socket the size of the lug
            >put it on and give it a couple of heavy hammer hits which will slightly flatten that taper on the lug.
            >Don't hit the rim

Trust me, I just busted two hard metal drills going through a case hardened stud that had frick all for rust after I bought new tires and the dumbasses couldn't get the last one off. Literally one lugnut cost me a week. If it starts warping, it's not coming off. It will break at the taper and leave you with just the hex.

I havent replaced them yet, I need to buy a torque wrench and a solution to push down the caliper piston. I will probably have it done this weekend, promised !

>and a solution to push down the caliper piston.
            Block of wood and a c-clamp with the bleeder loose. Or just use the old pad to clamp.

did your car come with a tool bag at all?

>cars coming with tools
            They come with a jack and a lugwrench usually. And that's only because manufacturers got tired of customers fricking up their cars trying to install the spare. They don't give you anything else because they don't want you fricking up the car, that's the dealers job.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>They come with a jack and a lugwrench usually
            rip
            mine came with a stamped steel folding wheel chock, adjustable pliers, a screwdriver that had a phillips and flathead on either end, and two double ended wrenches, 8-10mm on one, 12-14mm on the other
            this is late 80s toyota though. 2018 camry i think just has the tow hook, a tire iron and a scissor jack

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Never use a torque wrench you care about to break fasteners free. That's hard on the mechanism inside and throws its calibration off.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

>B) buy torque wrench. Use it as a breaker bar when opening
            Incorrect.

• 1 month ago
            Anonymous

Don't loosen with a torque wrench

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

>specified tightening
    frick that.
    are you going to be carrying around a torque wrench in your car at all times in case you get a flat and need to change to your spare wheel?
    I just tighten as tight as I can by hand with the wrench in the kit that came with the car, that way I'm confident I can get it off when I need to.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

>are you going to be carrying around a torque wrench in your car at all times
      You don't keep a tool bag in your car? I keep a harbor freight torque adapter in the bag
      Like 50 dollars and works good. Verified with a calibrated torque wrench from work

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

>You don't keep a tool bag in your car?
        no

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

did your car come with a tool bag at all?

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

why are there so many wrenchlets in belgium?

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

did you replace your brake pads yet?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

I havent replaced them yet, I need to buy a torque wrench and a solution to push down the caliper piston. I will probably have it done this weekend, promised !

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

if you couldn't get your wheels off you should prop leave it to a pro instead of attempting to diy brake work

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

more important than all the lugs are the same even torque than being exactly to spec
    yes you need a torque wrench for this

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Get a lug wrench, attach it so that you can stand on it, then stand on it
    If that doesn't free it start doing increasingly large "jumps"

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

just hit it with the impact gun until it stops spinning op

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Tighten them to male hand tightness. I've never had an issue with my lug nuts getting loose, and you'll definitely hear that when your wheels start wobbling.

You have to pull upwards to get them loose, pushing down on the bar doesn't seem to do shit even if you're strong. Pull up like a deadlift, same goes for your final tightening of them.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *