I'm 35 and finally getting a house with a garage so I can finally start a project car, that is to be determined.

I'm 35 and finally getting a house with a garage so I can finally start a project car, that is to be determined. But otherwise I need something mundane and practical for the day-to-day. I live in nashville and our roads are awful so something with thicker tires is a must. What do you guys think of the cx-50?

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

looks great, I think you'll love it

2. 4 weeks ago
    [PLEBSPOTTERS] BigC

I'd say get a truck, I ended up getting a truck because I have to tow around project cars and pick up engines and transmissions and stuff all the time

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

idk not ideal for me. i carry around stuff for work and golf equipment and it's easier to keep it in a trunk than in a bed. but i did take a good look at the new tacoma, a used new-gen land cruiser is my second option after this, but it would have to have some miles on it for it to be in my price range

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Instead of using a covered truck bed you want to destroy the interior of your $40k hatchback? Okay.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Assuming "work stuff" doesnt mean dirty tools and construction materials, otherwise yeah you would be way better off with a truck.
        CX-50 haver here. It's a nice vehicle that may or may not be for you. If you look at different trims of subaru outback, honda crv, or toyota rav4 there's options that are cheaper, more practical, softer sprung, more fuel efficient, potentially faster for similar or cheaper than the CX-50. Subaru is still probably the "best" for pure offroad performance in this range, but mazda is not far behind and probably better than the other jap brands. What the CX-50 does in comparison is drive better, look better, have a nicer interior, and tow better. AWD is also standard on all trim levels. On paper it has less cargo room then competitors, but this is largely because of the lower roofline so you have a winder, longer cargo bay instead of a taller one. Interior space is good but still technically a "compact" crossover so I wish the seats were a bit wider. They are comfortable, but slightly firmer than what you can get in toyota or hondas. Similar with the suspension, its not gonna be as floaty or soak up potholes as much as an outback or rav4, at the trade-off of being a lot more engaging to drive. You should probably test drive all that you are considering. I've heard some people complain about mazda paint (in general) being easy to chip off with rocks/road debris but haven't owned one long enough to comment.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Meridian is the best trim imo, essentially a base turbo with 18" wheels. All other turbo trims have 20" which are way worse for ride comfort, the non-turbos have 17" which are great and what they should have all come with imo. The non-turbo trims are more practical, with better fuel economy and lower outright cost. Depending on what options you want (largely interior niceties) it can be equipped pretty much the same as the turbo. If you do any highway driving or longer road trips I would definitely rather have the turbo. The NA engine isnt bad but the CX-50 is just a bit too heavy for it. NA also lowers the tow rating to 2000lbs, turbo is at 3500lb which may or may not be enough for your "project car". Fuel economy has been fairly mediocre with the turbo in my experience, 21-23 around town and 25-27 on the highway. I think you'd have to actually be cruising at 65 to get near the rated 29/30 mpg. I have a pretty heavy foot driving though so I'm sure that has nothing to do with it

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>look better

>fake wheelwells
          >fake vents
          >fake splitter
          >fake windows
          >fake ground clearance

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

That's every crossover in the market

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Probably. Another reason to buy a truck or a proper SUV.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

the front vents actually do pass through...but idk how much they actually frickin do

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Yeah, a bit.

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>What do you guys think of the cx-50

Its good, the automatic in it isn't a CVT and Mazdas are solid well made cars.

I'd look at the Rav4 Prime if I were in the market for a new AWD commuter. You get 300 horsepower, and 40 miles of all electric range from the plug in hybrid then 38 MPG after you run out of juice. Its gonna cost you about $15,000 more than the base CX-50 though and $7,000 more than the turbo. I also think the CX-50 is a better looking vehicle, the Toyota would be faster and give you better MPG though and if you've got a daily commute that isn't much more than 40 miles then you'd save a lot on gas.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

plug in ability would be great considering that all of my errands are within 5 miles. i appreciate the recommendation

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>all of my errands are within 5 miles
        PHEV all the way then. Even 120V mains will be enough to charge for short errands. Great if your grid provides free electricity nights.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>free electricity nights.
          who the frick does this?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

OP says the roads are bad where he lives so he wants something mundane, practical with thicker tires. Not the most fancy version of a car that tries to be something it isn't. Just look at this bullshit. Do you feel ashamed? You should be.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

car angry

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Can't see even that, there are too many features to make the face out of them.
          More like
          >lot of glossy painted pieces on the parts that is supposed to take hits
          >two-tone painted protruded thing down below to scrape on everything and eventually break off
          >non-functional air inlets
          >complicated geometry to accumulate more dirt, dust and dead insects, harder to wash as well
          >large compound headlights with long tight slits for the actual low/high beams (to catch more stones obv)
          >like 50% sidewall tires
          I mean it's the antithesis of practicality.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I said the Mazda was better looking. I agree the current Rav4 is ugly and like a lot of late 10s early 20s designs it has all sorts of stupid superfluous bullshit in its design particularly in the spot you highlighted. Hopefully they'll do a better job with the next one.

But that's not why I recommended it. I recommended it because of the engine and transmission and the electric range and MPG it gives you as a plug in hybrid with 300 horsepower.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

>I said the Mazda was better looking
          Not by much. The only thing that's different is probably the headlight units, they are smaller, everything else still applies.
          >Mitsuoka_Buddy
          Same here, except the replacement body parts would be much harder to obtain.
          >I recommended it because of the engine and transmission and the electric range and MPG it gives you as a plug in hybrid with 300 horsepower.
          It's a PHEV with lithium not regular HEV from Toyota with nickel, it costs more and is less desirable if you want a practical vehicle, and that's on top of being a potential fire hazard. Their e-AWD is meh: I have little experience with RAV-4, but in the RX it seriously lacks power in the rear, and it doesn't like to spin the wheels.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>the automatic in it isn't a CVT
      When people complain about cvts I just assume they drive like third world bug brained scum

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Why?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

There are several reasons people dont like CVT's
        >sluggish off the line unless they have a dedicated launch gear, and still are sluggish compared to a transmission with real gears
        >fake shifts at fake "simulated" gears so you're never actually accelerating as fast as you should be, unless you put it to the boards, then the car turns into a lawnmower with the RPMs pegged at 5K
        >cant tow anything
        >poor long term durability compared to traditional auto

4. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

just don't get the base model. Mazda nerfs the base models of their cars in both driving and looks so much it's not even worth considering

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Which trim is best for a Mazda 3?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

turbo

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

The CX-50 is Scotty approved.

6. 4 weeks ago
    Sage all ugly slow gay cars

You literally don't like cars.

7. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>so something with thicker tires is a must
    Then don't buy a Mazda, I don't think you can fit big sidewall tires in there. Better get a truck or a truck-based SUV. They also last longer and hold their value better.

8. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I love the looks, I don't give a shit if DA thinks it's a cuckover or whatever

9. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Frontier, still has nav6, smaller than most, no taco tax, and the most reliable and long lived powertrain available now that the LX platform is gone

10. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Used PHEV under $25k with a big enough battery to qualify for the tax rebate if you’re making $75k or less after deductions.

Consider a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV if the normal lineup of Prius Prime/Chevy Volt/Honda Clarity don’t cut it in terms of ride quality on your roads. It’s got some flaws, but it gives you a free 22+ miles on electricity around the neighborhood.

11. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>What do you guys think of the cx-50?
    Very solid car. You'll like it as a daily. It demands nothing unusual and offers no unpleasant surprises.

12. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>torsion beam rear axle
    Garbage

13. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>finally getting a house

14. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Solid car, great interior. Just don’t get the big rims

Truckposters: Stop trying to justify your shitty decisions

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

What are these plastic patches over the fenders needed for? To hide rust?

15. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

mid 90s v6 camry with 65 profile tires

16. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

It's great, but I don't think it's worth the price increase over the CX-5, which has better suspension and more headroom (nice if you're a long-torso tallgay). I guess it looks more rugged, but I just think the 5 is a better value.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

The CX-5 & 50 drive very similar. The 5 is a bit floatier and you don't feel the bumps as much. The 50 feels flatter in corners and more connected to road since the center of gravity is a bit lower

17. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Get the CX-5. Made in Japan and not in Goyville, USA like the CX-50.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *