I'm doing a survey for Americans. "Slipping clutch" or "Clutch slippage".

I'm doing a survey for Americans.

"Slipping clutch" or "Clutch slippage".

Explain what this means on a manual car.

I currently believe most Americans do in fact not know what this means.

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

when the flywheel (engine output) is spinning faster than the wheels, something in the driveline has to give, and the clutch is the link that gives. in an automatic transmission with a torque converter, this isnt a problem, because the torque converter is a fluid coupling.

you can generate slip by partially applying the clutch and allowing the engine to drive you forward or backward. useful in small doses but detrimental to the clutch health if done often (like in traffic) or aggressively (resting your foot on the clutch while driving)

some automatic transmissions have a clutch instead of a torque converter, and these can generate slip the same way as a manual.
    > t. american

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Follow up question:

what is the average life span of a clutch?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Depends on the driver. 150,000 to 200,000 miles is reasonable.

Is your clutch slipping, anon?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

No it's not. None of my cars have a slipping clutch. But I have just noticed when discussing clutches that a lot of americans believe 40k miles is normal life span for a clutch. And many times they will say that when a clutch is in fact NOT slipping, it is slipping.

Months of this made me curious, but I am glad to be disproven by you fellas.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

My grandpa rocked the same clutch for 30 years, 300k miles.

I've done the clutch in both of my manuals. Not because the clutch was bad, but other stuff in the vicinity was done.

>chevy truck
            180k miles
            OE clutch not even close to worn out
            stupid idiot slave cylinder pooped itself

>toyota tercel
            250k miles
            OE clutch worn but still had lots of life
            rebuilt the engine due to oil consumption

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Just replaced mine after 100k miles, and it didn't give any warning signs, it just deteriorated from fine to the car barely moving within a couple of weeks.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Two meanings.
      One, what said. Manual torque conversion by modulating pressure on the clutch disc. Slip the clutch to get yourself out of a hole.
      Two, insufficient pressure or friction between the pressure plate, disc, and flywheel. Giv'er too many beans and the clutch slips.
      Both make a lot of heat, and too much of the former will lead to the latter.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

depends on your meaning and context. either what said, or slip can mean the clutch is too worn, damaged, or just insufficient for the engine's torque output to be able to adequately grip the flywheel and transfer the torque from the engine to the transmission without unintentionally losing grip and spinning, similar to how tires can lose traction.

Follow up question:

what is the average life span of a clutch?

depends almost entirely on the skill of the driver and how the vehicle is driven. a skilled Grandpa can nurse a clutch for a 100k+ mile lifespan, while a 17 year old boyracer can roast a clutch anywhere from 1-10k miles depending on how shit he is.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

My grandpa rocked the same clutch for 30 years, 300k miles.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Partly wrong. Many torque converters have clutch as a final lock up linkage

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

doesn't really apply in this context. The lockup clutch in an auto serves only to increase efficiency while steady state cruising, the torque converter otherwise does all of the heavy lifting and is the main power transfer device. a TCLC is more akin to a centrifugal clutch in a go-kart than a traditional manual clutch in this regard.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>detrimental to the clutch health if done often (like in traffic)
      Riding the clutch pedal halfway is literally the only way to gently scoot forward in heavy traffic.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That is unfortunately true. It sucks.

What I do is to generally avoid driving when it is heavy traffic. And I will try to maintain speed as much and as long as possible. If car infront of me has stopped, I'll shift into 1st and keep rolling super slowly. Most of the times the queue moves by the time I get there and it saves me having to use the clutch at all.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

when i traveled to italy and rented a little fiat it was so nice cus near everyone drove manual so noone wanted to stop like in american traffic

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

gentle riding with no throttle is nothing
        it's when you up the revs and hold it at bite that you induce a lot of wear

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

This.
          When I learned to drive (stick of course), I noticed that I was naturally riding the clutch a lot whenever I reached jogging/walking speed; both when accellerating and when braking.
          For a while I thought I was doing it wrong, and I tried to learn to always dump the clutch as soon as possible, but really it's just normal and harmless to ride the clutch at those speeds.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

are we talking about slipping the clutch to get to speed with minimal throttle fromna stop, or that the clutch itself is slipping (ie spinning at a different rate than the flywheel) due to wear or contamination. My saturn does the latter in higher gears with heavy throttle cus the monkey that did the clutch put the rear main seal in wrong

3. 2 months ago
    s10fag

friction inadequate

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Slipping the clutch is when you put turbo on your car and now when you boost it in 3rd it feels like you have a torque converter.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

My WRX clutch lasted 19k but I was dumping it at 3500+ daily.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Most responsible WRX owner
      That's probably the longest a WRX clutch has ever lasted

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Hello, based ?
      What's with these homosexuals milking their clutches out to 200k miles? Enjoy your car nerds. A clutch change at 80k miles won't make you poor.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

That's my thoughts on it, if I wanted to hyper mile and make shit last I would have bought something else.

Feel bad for whoever bought my WRX after I traded it in. It had low miles but they were HARD miles with me driving it.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

well, sorry for driving normally

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>enjoy your car nerds
        What if some people enjoy driving their cars well?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

My brother stole his friends wrx at a party after most everyone had passed out (yes he was wasted) and basically just dumped the clutch everywhere till it barely moved anymore smoke everywhere. Brand new car, I think he had it like a week. Dealership replaced it under warranty (frick if I know why lmao) but he never could get rid of the smell.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Based, he was probably just slipping the clutch a ton which will frick it up faster then just dumping it.

I replacement my clutch with an aftermarket HD option.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Honestly I couldn't tell you for sure I wasn't there. He's familiar with a clutch from riding though, just never drove a stick car. I'm kinda impressed tbh being able to smoke a clutch in, from what I was told, 15 minutes

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

It’s where you are too poor to afford an automatic transmission so you have to manually shift gears.

It’s like walking somewhere or cooking for yourself, peak poorgay behaviour.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I could have gotten an automatic for every car I bought but I chose a manual because it's fricking gay to drive an automatic.

>drives a car but is a manual
      "its like walking somewhere"
      peak brainlet

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Slipping the clutch is when you let the torque of the engine overcome the friction of the clutch material, resulting in a slip between the two surfaces. Clutch slippage is when the material inside the clutch no longer has enough friction that this is happening even with careful inputs.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm doing a survey for Europeans.

How many days can a European go without obsessing over America?

I believe the answer is 0

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If by obsessing you mean be forced to interact with on all digital platforms then yes, 0.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Survey for Aussies: How many times did you say "c**t" today?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I've only got 10 fingers c**t

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

frick yeah c**t

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm also not Australian though. Sorry for lieing on DA.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

It's ok, I am, yet I pretended that I wasn't so I could make the survey joke.
            We both played our roles.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

clutch slippage as a mechanical problem means that the friction surface of the clutch and/or flywheel has degraded so much that it is no longer enough to "hold" the torque generated by the engine, even with the full clamping force that the clutch plate can provide
    the effect is that when you step on the accelerator, the clutch will slip causing the engine revs to rise faster than the drivetrain accelerates

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *