I'm going to be honest I have no idea what the 2 and 1 are for and what they do. Also why would I ever use neutral?

I'm going to be honest I have no idea what the 2 and 1 are for and what they do. Also why would I ever use neutral? PRD is literally all I've used in my truck for years

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

A Conspiracy Theorist Is Talking Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

1 and 2 lock the transmission to those gears, useful for climbing hills or low speed driving. Neutral is for towing, pushing or pulling the vehicle for recovery.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

not OP but I have a related question. Does it make sense to down shift when driving down those same hills? What would be the point? Does one have to lower their speed by breaking in that case?

• 2 weeks ago
        Greased Geese

transmission get hotter
        car jerks less doing low speed maneuvers
        french people get mad
        just do it

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

For engine braking, sure, so long as you don't overrev. Newer vehicles have pitch sensors that will tell the transmission to kickdown on inclines as well.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

I don't believe that.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It's so you can engine brake. This prevents brake wear at the expense of fuel and engine wear (lmao)

2. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

>Also why would I ever use neutral?
    if you're driving in the tail of a comet, and want to let the vortex pull your weight

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Hehe

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

greetings fellow spacegrass enthusiast

3. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

When descending a mountain, if you don't want to burn out your brakes you use engine braking (which is really transmission braking). You lock the trans into second and it will only let the car go up to ~25, lock it in first and it only goes ~10. Depends on your car how fast it goes before overrevving and you'll hear when that happens. You shift up when it does, and I've taken some pretty gnarly switchbacks in 3rd or 4th gear so only having 1 and 2 is pretty limited.

Adding these were negated when manufacturers just started putting paddle shifters and in my car's case you can shift it to manual and tap the auto shifter to switch gears. Most modern cars you can drive in auto or manual, I don't get why manualgays are butthurt when a car isn't full manual.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

And you have to slow to those speeds using the brakes before shifting into lower gears or you'll blow your troony, and not in a good way.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

I'm not butthurt, you can drive whatever you want. I prefer being able to immediately select any gear I want plus have total control of the clutch position, all of which are useful in the hill descent scenario presented.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Because a clutch offers a direct connection and superior control compared to a fluid coupling like you'd find in a torque converter.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Modern automatics are fully locked up 90% of the time. They're just as efficient as a manual at that point.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

They are not as efficient because they can't see ahead like a driver can and take into account the car's momentum so they can downshift or upshift where not necessary.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

There's literally clutches in an automatic. Ones which you can burn up manually shifting all the time.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>which is really transmission braking
      by what measure?

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Only ancient garbage would risk its brakes on descent. Vehicles that bad are decades out of production or serious use in the first world which has aftermarket disc brake kits to replace pathetic front drums.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You've never actually driven in the mountains if you think engine braking isn't mandatory. CSP literally pays a cop to sit halfway down the road to Pikes Peak all day to check brake temps of morons like you.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Pikes Peak is like the only place that does that.
          I live 3000 feet above the valley I live in. I drive up and down the Rockies every day.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

>be an npc
        >car needs brakes
        >get the cheapest possible organic brake pads
        >never flush fluid so it's 30% water
        >brakes fade after a single instance of prolonged braking
        Don't pretend like you aren't surrounded by frickwits every time you drive.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Ten miles of riding your brakes on a 7%+ grade will cook basically any consumer brake system.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>I don't get why manualgays are butthurt when a car isn't full manual.
      Because that's really gay and you probably have aids in your butthole from driving auto

4. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I used to use neutral in my old 90s shitbox to restart the car without needing to stop. I'm guessing newer vehicles don't allow that though.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

Why are you restarting in motion? Other than some trick to impress a date

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I think it was because the radio would stop working and restarting the ignition fixed it.

• 2 weeks ago
        Anonymous

I had a car that had some issue where it would randomly go into a sort of limp mode, so I would do this regularly to clear it out while driving. It's really something that's only necessary in rare cases when the car is fricked up in a particular way.

• 2 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Change the transmission fluid.

I had a 94 Benz that suddenly decided to never shift higher than 2nd gear. It turns out the transmission fluid was just really low

5. 2 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Based moron with no concept of engine braking.

• 2 weeks ago
      Anonymous

>Using no-season tires

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *