I'm having buyer's remorse before I even made the purchase.

I'm having buyer's remorse before I even made the purchase.
As soon as I set my mind on something, call a dealership, and plan a test drive, my brain immediately starts thinking "Do i need this car?" "Can i survive without it" etc.
And so I've canceled twice at this point.
At some point I need to just pull the trigger. I'm tired of being a pedestrian waiting at cross walks in the blistering heat.
Maybe I should just reduce my budget to feel more comfortable.

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

The Kind of Tired That Sleep Won’t Fix Shirt $21.68

It's All Fucked Shirt $22.14

1. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Do you have a garage?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No, my apartment has a parking garage though

2. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

it'll be the best decision you've ever made in your life anon. what's your budget, what are you looking at, and what's your use case?

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

So let me clarify. I've just started a really well paying engineering job out of college (~150k is the base salary, plus ~$100k in stock per year for three years)
      I received a good chunk of sign on bonus, which came out to be like $25k after taxes. Plus like $20k from money from internships I had in college.
      I've been working for a month or so, and I can definitely get around without a car, but it's one of my interests for a really long time and I really want a sports car (Camaro or Stang). And walking everywhere or waiting for the train is getting real old.
      So I set a budget for $35k.
      I've seen a lot of people in my position (like a month after starting) buy Teslas which cost around $35k-$40k as well.
      I'm afraid that people will judge me for buying a sports car specifically, so little time after starting a job, even if I can afford it. If I bought a tesla like everyone else or perhaps a camry that costs the same amount I feel like no one would have an issue. (to be fair I'm gonna have to get something with higher mileage which can lead to serious headaches down the road compared to a new camry or tesla).
      But a sports car? I'm gonna have to actively defend this to my friends and family lol. Sure i guess i can just not give a shit about what people think, but its definitely gonna be viewed as so irresponsible.
      I know that striving for delayed gratification is what separates the low and high IQs. I know that no financial advisor would ever recommend getting a $30k+ car just after starting a job (at least wait a year! you could get fired any time! they'd say)
      I'm a cheap person in general I'd say (except when i eat out occasionally lol)... kind of want to splurge. I just want to yolo it this time.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

You are looking for external permission to buy an impractical car. You do not need anyone's permission to spend your own money.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

The opinions of others can still be helpful.
          I want to know the opinions of rational car enthusiasts... Non car enthusiasts will simply not "get it" so I can't consider their opinions, so i thought maybe some here could give some advice.
          If the consensus even here is to wait like 6 months before making such a purchase, I'd know that Im being a bit too hasty

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

oh yeah dude get the mustang/camaro, no question. they're not fancy sports cars, they're literally made for people in your position. as long as you get one with a V8 they'll hold value way better than a tesla which depreciate like shit, so they're better financial decisions as well as being 100x funner to drive. anyway if you're in the bay area you're surrounded by actual 6+ figure sports cars and no one will be mistaking a $30k camaro for something like a 911 or M5.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Frick off you stupid c**t I wish I had frick you money like that

Buy the fricking car

pussy

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

uh… can you tell me where to find these engineering jobs that pay fresh grads $250k/year?
        Get a car you fall in love with and hang onto it. That’ll save you more in the long-run than swapping out different cars every few years.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

FAANG companies and those which are adjacent to it, and only in silicon valley/Bay area CA.
          There are people better off than me. Fin tech/quant firms pay like $400k out of college for their engineers
          One of my friend i grew up with since kindergarten made it into those... and sometimes i question how my life is so different than his that i can't have that.
          Theres always a bigger fish and youll never be satisfied caring about others
          Sorry for the rant.
          >Get a car you fall in love with and hang onto it. That’ll save you more in the long-run than swapping out different cars every few years.
          That's the plan. To be eventually berried in the next car i buy.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

What kind of berries anon? My pick would be strawberries

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Raspberries
            Strawberries aren't real berries BTW

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

So other expenses: my rent is also pretty low for the bay area ($1700/month in a pretty nice location)
      I know you guys are not financial advisors lol, but just to give a bigger picture

3. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

I'd just split the difference and get something like a lightly used is or something. You weren't very specific with what "sports car" you really want.

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

It would have to be a RWD v8 manual car, so I said camaro or stang.
      I don't really care to mess around with economy cars. If I had to have an economy car, I'd just get a $5000 shitbox and call it a day.
      But I would definitely shill out $35k for a sports car.
      If I were to "split the difference" (I think youre referring to reducing my budget) and go for $20k: options would be s197 mustang, c5 vette, or a pretty used 5th gen camaro.
      I dont really care about my car being "fast" but these cars are definitely really outdated performance wise (could always try to upgrade them myself)... Dont really care to get gapped by minivans at the end of the day, so i want it to be somewhat competitive.
      So S550 mustang or 6th gen camaro are sort of dream cars to me.

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

What I mean by split the difference is buy a sporty coupe/sedan. Comfy, sporty enough, reliable, practical. Is fits that bill. But do what you want, what do I care

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

Just buy the shitbox for now and buy something cool in a year or 2 if you still want it. IDK y people with money would go without a car just cause they cant decide what to buy.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Part of me wants to walk over driving a shitbox. With a sports car I'm paying for an experience. With a shitbox, well I could do 200 $20 über rides and be at the price of that shitbox, not even counting registration cost and taxes and insurance.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

>With a sports car I'm paying for an experience.
            With a shitbox you're paying far less and the experience is actually better.

4. 4 weeks ago
    p

do you even own a house yet?
    buying a new car while living in an apartment is maximum cringe

• 4 weeks ago
      Anonymous

No I dont own a house. What change does owning a house make?

• 4 weeks ago
        Anonymous

It would be extremely hard to afford a bay area home for you anyway. Average price is 1.2 million, so about 7k+ a month for a 30 year note. That's about half your income.

• 4 weeks ago
          Anonymous

Yeah I'm not even sure if I want to live here forever or raise a family here. Or if ill even have a family at all. IMO "house before car" is boomer mentality, you think life has to follow a certain set of steps.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

You can't reasonably afford a house anyway on your salary there. If you lived in like Nashville you could. Then it would be reasonable to get a house first, and drive a shit box.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Houses typically generate wealth. You make money owning one, even if you need to sell it and move and buy another one, you make a profit on the sale. You can buy more cars afterwards.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Perhaps. Magic number for him is $250000+ another 75+/- for closing, so let's just say 325k. He *could* do it for 125k-ish, but the payments are too much for his income as a % technically. The amortization schedule must be wild on a million for 30 years.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

that's gonna be tough at an 8% rate. i've run the numbers myself looking to move recently, at that rate you're paying more in interest alone than you'd pay on rent so unless your house is appreciating in value like crazy, after closing costs and agent fees you're not going to be coming out on top anytime soon. renting until rates or home prices come back down makes sense in most cases.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Nah just buy now and budget until you can refinance the mortgage to a better rate. Rates will go down (eventually), but prices wont (probably).

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

it makes more sense financially to rent until rates go down. run the numbers and you'll see. i own multiple properties, i'm not just talking out of my ass.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Im not sure how long it would take to save up ~$250k on a down payment lol.
            After an average ~40% tax for next three years I make $150k. $30k goes to retirement. $25k to rent. $30k goes to stock purchase program (get company stock at discounted rate, no reason not to do it). Which leaves $65k a year to save or spend.

• 4 weeks ago
            Anonymous

Well the company stock thing, obviously i can sell it during the sell period, Im not just losing $30k. So never mind that.

5. 4 weeks ago
    Anonymous

Just don't go into debt and you won't have to worry about it. I started slow but I never was in debt, maybe a mortgage I paid off twice. But now I am still working my ass off at 40 but I saved up and planted a seed in real estate and bought a large tract in a growing area about 4 years ago. Now its really worth something but just trying to earn a living from it is my problem now. I don't have debt and may go into debt for a short time for a large sum that will hopefully be paid quickly.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *