I'm tired of modern cartoons trying to mimic anime instead of mocking anime.

I'm tired of modern cartoons trying to mimic anime instead of mocking anime.

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Ape Out Shirt $21.68

1. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Modern authors are people that got inspired by Anime to make animations. If you are tired of that, try to make your own cartoon and inspire the next generation with good content.

Otherwise, more realistically, try to support and share artist that have their own classic style.

Otherwise, more unrealistic than magic, try to get out of your ass and appreciate content for its inherent qualities and not generalization due to country of origin or comparing with stuff aimed at younger demographics; as fans of cartoons simplifying a medium to its worst examples should be something we avoided, otherwise whoever says cartoons are just for kids is right.

Also, try to think "what is my thread going to be like" when you make your shit. A single OP saying something stupid might seem like the norm, due to an overabundance of bad examples, but it is not, or at least shouldn't be.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

>Modern authors are people that got inspired by Anime to make animations. If you are tired of that, try to make your own cartoon and inspire the next generation with good content.

This. If you have a genuine passion for animation as a medium, what western project in the past 2 decades would have possibly inspired you? Meanwhile, anime regularly puts out iconic and impressive sequences, even in low budget shows.
      The west loves to be intentionally ugly because its seen as transgressive, so its mostly just grossouts and what looks like the doodles in the back of a highschooler's notebook. Most modern western animation looks *worse than family guy*. Meanwhile, Japan makes

And thats considered a forgettable mid-tier anime of the season.

If I was interested in animation, I know which one I would be copying.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Somehow we missed out on the products of a whole bunch of young gen x / old millennials who should've been influenced by Who Framed Roger Rabbit

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

It's not somehow; the recession happened and the companies got risk averse/handed things off to their ~~*kids*~~ or their ~~*friends' kids*~~ instead of to the young Gen Xers. It's why we go straight from Chowder and Frisky Dingo to Steven Universe in eight years. We have a missing middle.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Counterpoint, they rarely copy the impressive parts of anime outside of the "___ original anime" trend, they're always copying the "Le ANIME STYLE" or worse, just shoving anime trope after anime trope into a cartoon for no reason

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

>they're always copying the "Le ANIME STYLE" or worse, just shoving anime trope after anime trope into a cartoon for no reason
          I keep hearing that but I never see it. All those "anime" inspired cartoons are still full of cartoon tropes and the only thing they do is homage some anime scenes. Like SU, that show could have never been made in Japan, the characters act as western as ever and they follow western tropes.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Thats because the people approving the shows are still the same old farts that have been in control of the cartoon industry since before anyone in this thread was born. The process for making shows, and the types of shows that get made, has been largely stagnant. The only difference that streaming introduced is that there are more cartoons where you can say 'frick' now, but the formula and the jokes is basically the same. Kids cartoons and adult cartoons are both about fart jokes told in mock-sitcom settings, its just that the adult version occasionally has sex jokes and gore as well.
          Anime references in cartoons are still being hamstrung by the fact that you have to get it past a review board of people who still think that Dragonball Z is 'current anime' and the speed racer dub is how all anime sounds.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Take a shot every time someone mentions "western animation" but only uses that to describe american animation

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

Not the gotcha you think it is. American animation is all DA ever talks about, unless you count Totally Spies "discussion". Everyone knows what we mean when we say western animation, arguing semantics just highlights your lack of anything substantial to say.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Nothing what

>Modern authors are people that got inspired by Anime to make animations. If you are tired of that, try to make your own cartoon and inspire the next generation with good content.

This. If you have a genuine passion for animation as a medium, what western project in the past 2 decades would have possibly inspired you? Meanwhile, anime regularly puts out iconic and impressive sequences, even in low budget shows.
            The west loves to be intentionally ugly because its seen as transgressive, so its mostly just grossouts and what looks like the doodles in the back of a highschooler's notebook. Most modern western animation looks *worse than family guy*. Meanwhile, Japan makes

And thats considered a forgettable mid-tier anime of the season.

If I was interested in animation, I know which one I would be copying.

says about western animation applies to european animation. If you seriously think ugly beanmouth is all it is outside japan, you're just outing yourself as the weeb you are and should not step outside DA.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Doesn't have to be beanmouth to be ugly. Adventure time, brickleberry-esq netflix shows, smiling friends, etc all look terrible. There are exceptions, sure, but pretending that the majority of western animation doesn't look like that is living in denial.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

>Doesn't have to be beanmouth to be ugly. [AMERICAN SHOW], [AMERICAN SHOW], [AMERICAN SHOW], etc all look terrible

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Yes. There are multiple ways for an American cartoon to pursue ugliness.

• 3 months ago
            Anonymous

Yes, but you still didn't address the case for European animation, dumbfrick. You exposed yourself as nothing more but a basic b***h American weeb who thinks American animation = all the animation in the Western world.

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

France and America, no one else cares for animation. Those frogs love anime so much one of the most popular french comics in recent times is a battle shonen

2. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I should draw Mitsuki again

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Cute

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

What a good way idea.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Draw a half-American child with orange hair and black irises.

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Springboob squirepin stole his idea!

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

https://i.imgur.com/92iSijw.png

more mitsuki i drew for the thread

more kappa mikey art is always appreciated

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

i'll try to draw, Lily and Reiko the stalker yangire menhera who tries to kidnap mitsuki maybe

3. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

With Exchange Student Zero

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Wasn't this originally set in Australia? Australians are mega weebs.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Wish there were more seasons

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

i should draw them too

4. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Sex with Lilly

5. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Western and Eastern animation has had a symbiotic relationship ever since the medium was fricking invented.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

more like yo mama had a symbiotic relationship with your father

6. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

You don't know how to do either option well.

7. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

It never turns out good in either scenario. They should just leave it the frick alone.

8. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Wouldn't that be kinda like Sri Lanka mocking the US?

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

India does it all the time

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Who cares what the pajeets think

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

No one, but my point was they can still have banter with superior countries

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

I do
          My favorite artist does since he never fricking finished his one comic about American Indians but did one for Hinduism

9. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Lily deserves corrective rape

10. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Such a great theme song.

11. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

It's not like anime references make modern cartoons bad. The writing and directing is still as western as ever but they now have 1 character do an akira bike scene. Also weebs have contributed to the best western shows like atla or SJ. And cartoons mocking anime are shit or mediocre most of the time, like your example or johnny test.

12. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

i remember that show, dont remember if i liked it or not

13. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

more mitsuki i drew for the thread

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Beautiful work

14. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Mitsuki is cute. CUTE!!

15. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

modern? kappa mikey?

16. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Japan has no copyright laws. Last time it got mocked aggressively it didn't end well.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Why's that guy named after the edgelord skeleton from the gay power fantasy isekai but looks like my husbando Elias from The Ancient Magus' Bride?
      Ancient Magus' Bride isn't even an isekai

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

They are knockoffs, they can't look *exactly* like the thing they are parodying.
        Also, maybe they just thought that Elias looked cooler.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Is that entire first panel just 3D assets?

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Just the scenery, I think. The chairs, the fireplace, etc.
        Honestly not a bad way to save time. Its better than fricking up the perspective on a chair at the wrong angle.

17. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I miss when every action cartoon in the 000s was trying to cash in on anime lol. That entire decade was just the US dickriding Japan
    WITCH
    WAKFU
    The Batman
    Teen Titans
    Martin Mysteries
    Totally Spies
    ATOM
    Winx Club

That shitty magical girl show with the emo guy and terrible voice acting that i don't remember

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous
    • 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Most of those are European but yeah. Also based of you for mentioning ATOM cause I rewatched a few episodes and it had some neat shots.

18. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

KWAB

19. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

The problem then is that they are opening themselves up to comparison, and on a lot of basic levels, anime has cartoons squarely beat.

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Modern Cartoons still have the mandatory anime parody scene

20. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Nobody born after gen x should be allowed to make cartoons

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

>Nobody born after gen z should be allowed to make cartoons
      ftfy

• 3 months ago
        Anonymous

Kys zoomer

• 3 months ago
          Anonymous

I'm actually against zoomers writing shows

21. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

>be domestic product
    >grow lazy and complacent
    >foreign product enters market
    >cheaper, well-made, innovative
    >domestic product mocks foreign product as namby pamby weak shit

DECADES PASS
    >domestic product has failed to innovate, or retain and attract customers
    >shitty decisions build up
    >sales shrink
    >former customers of domestic product get fed up
    >market increasingly dominated by foreign product
    >picture starts looking bad for domestic product

FORK IN THE ROAD. Pick one(1) of the two options.
    >domestic product lobbies gubmint for protectionist bullshit
    >foreign product now produces garbage popular within its own market which only it can dominate
    >still slowly dying anyway lol
    OR
    >domestic product continues on path of self destruction
    >flails and fails, goes bankrupt, shrinks, whatever
    >foreign product is now dominant
    >domestic product continues to exist vestigially as an offshoot of foreign product or is completely defunct

This is the point where the domestic shit is basically dead. We are somewhat past the fork with western media right now IMO but we are seeing some interesting bullshit.
    >domestic product tries to imitate foreign product
    AND/OR
    >domestic product attempts to absorb and co-opt foreign product

22. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Forgot my pic OP
    Innovate or die. If you want cartoons to mock anime instead of mimic it they need to be better products. That is not the case and has not been for a while, so instead people get inspired by anime and those people make cartoons, of which less and less are produced to begin with.

23. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Neither are better

But i do wish actually japanese outsourced shows were a thing again outside of the 2 times Studio TRIGGER was used, i am so fricking sick and tired of Studio Mir and Man of Action

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

Man of Action writes stuff, not animates?

• 3 months ago
      Anonymous

I didn't know Sonic Prime was anime

24. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

They really didn't do a very good job of doing that either since the jokes were almost exclusively nonsensical or decades out of date. Even as a kid I eventually got tired of the constant Voltron and Speed Racer jokes.
    At least western attempts at aping anime led to stuff like Teen Titans, Wakfu, Oban and Lastman.

25. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

Wifey

26. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I reckon the feeble attempt to copy anime is what makes those shows not very popular in the east as well, or at least not popular in Japan. Must be uncanny for them. I say this to even consecrated titles, like Avatar.

27. 3 months ago
    Anonymous

I would not exactly call that series making fun of anime but making fun of the differences between typical cartoons and typical anime.The titular protagonist is a viewpoint character with multiple Japanese friends we see in the show.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *