is 0w20 oil death for my engine? My car actually asks for 0w16 but says its fine to use 0w20 too.

is 0w20 oil death for my engine?

My car actually asks for 0w16 but says its fine to use 0w20 too. I saw a video by project farm tho were they compared 0w20 to 5w30 and the 5w30 offered WAY better wear protection

should i switch from 0w20 to 5w30?

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

DMT Has Friends For Me Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

RIP

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just run 0w20. You need to educate yourself before you understand the implications of going from 0w20 to 5w30.
    Generally going a little up like from 0w16 to 0w20 means the oil has a range that a little thicker, but each oil has a range it can be in to be considered a 0w20 and 0w16.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

thicker oil has higher film strength and better wear protection than thinner oil

but it doesn't flow as well

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Just run 0w20. You need to educate yourself before you understand the implications of going from 0w20 to 5w30.
      Generally going a little up like from 0w16 to 0w20 means the oil has a range that a little thicker, but each oil has a range it can be in to be considered a 0w20 and 0w16.

Not OP but why doesn't temperature play a role in what oil you choose? Doesn't oil get thicker in colder weather?

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>why doesn't temperature play a role in what oil you choose
        It can, but mostly in older vehicles. If you lived in death valley, you wouldn't necessarily use the same oil as someone in Nome.

For example, here's the oil chart for a Suzuki Savage. From it you can see that if lived somewhere that never gets hot, you can use 10w30, and if it's somewhere it never really gets cold, you can use 20w50. Of course, It also just tells you that 10w40, the oil it wants you to mostly use, should cover all temperature ranges.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Use 5w40 instead because its a full synthetic.

• 2 months ago
        Bepis

It does. My shitbox’s owner’s manual gives me a couple different oils I can use depending on temp. 5w-20 for winter, 5w-30 for summer, 10w-30 is fine for like AZ summers, but she mignt be working hard on startup on a cooler morning.

https://i.imgur.com/TT5MXMP.jpg

is 0w20 oil death for my engine?

My car actually asks for 0w16 but says its fine to use 0w20 too. I saw a video by project farm tho were they compared 0w20 to 5w30 and the 5w30 offered WAY better wear protection

should i switch from 0w20 to 5w30?

0w-20 from 0w16 is probably fine unless it’s really cold. I woudn’t jump up too much because there’s more to it than you realize from that post. Oil pressure operates tons of different components inside the engine, and the oil pump and all of the oil passages are designed for the thinner oil. If you have 5w-30 in there and cold start that thing, you’re going to have way lower oil pressure getting to bearings and cams than if you had the proper oil.

Low pressure 5w-30 is probably lubricating worse than the proper pressure 0w-16.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Temp does ofc play a part. My manual recommends 10w30 but due to hot weather we run 10w40

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Use what the engine is designed for. Don't go putting in 5w30 because of a video you saw. Just put in what the manual says you should put in. If it says to only use 0W16 or 0W20, only use that.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

What car?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>What car?
      Suzuki Carry R

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Look for the "High Mileage" label.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

0W-20 is more than adequate for street driving as long as you do your oil changes at a reasonable time
    the really thin oil specs are only a problem in two cases
    >serious performance driving where the oil gets really hot
    >long oil change intervals where fuel dilution causes the oil to thin out even more

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

In drag racing they're experimenting with 0-10 oil I think it was because manufacturers want to see how that goes. Back in the day they'd also heat oil up super hot before a run. I think the saying was you want it to sound like a horse pissing on concrete when you add it to the engine. Eeks out that extra bit of efficiency to hopefully get a win, and for manufacturers, eek out some more fuel mileage as well from the efficiency. Just thought you'd find that interesting.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Why just 0w10 they have 0w8 and 0w5 now.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

How long until they have 0w0
          KYS Y2

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Oh maybe they are. I wasn't sure how low it was I just remember my brother telling me about it a while back when I mentioned a change I did on a 0-20 or maybe 16 don't remember that either.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I remember when I did karts. Some honda gx people used sewing machine oil. We never did it because we used the kt100 instead.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I don't know anything about karts. Or really any of this real racing stuff but that brother does work for a very well known name company doing this stuff and at the time he told me, they were running ls engines. This is national television stuff though so how much of that ls is actually what you'd get in your silverado? Basically only what the rules required. I think they're switching to Chrysler now but tbh I don't talk to him as much as I'd like and when I do were both shit faced and I misremember everything he says.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

And actually even what the rules require is bent.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

honestly depends on what you drive and how stressed the motor is. cuckbox car/cuv that never tows anything besides its own weight. whatever it says on the cap will be fine, you can run 5-30 in summer if you want, just use 0-16/20 in the winter
    actual 4x4 suv or trugg 5w-30, year round. don’t care what (they) recommend. doing heavy towing or pushing 35+ inch tires Xw-40 especially in the summer thicker the better

oil weight is temperature dependent, either external or internal so use your best judgment. also look into when your motor was actually designed. my motor was a 15 year old design and it started off requiring 5w-30, then 5w-20, now 0w-20. they didn’t change a fricking thing internally the last decade it’s just for CAFE bullshit. I used 0w-20 until my warranty was up (ya know warranty israeli tricks) and after 60k I switched to 5w-30 and I noticed a lot less metallic sparkles in the filter when I did. and I’ve been using the wrong weight oil for 40k miles and nothings changed besides less metallic flakes in the filter, my mpg hasn’t changed, im not burning oil, my oil pressure hasn’t changed
    inb4 hurr muh manufacturing tolerance improvements
    diesels have way tighter tolerances and compression than gas and they run 40w+ so that’s bullshit

tl;dr
    it’s all a joke use whatever, preferably thicker besides 3 month a year if you live in an extreme cold climate but honestly if you change your oil every 3k miles it doesn’t matter what the frick you put in it as long as it’s not peanut or vegetable oil

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>different oil weight in summer and winter

Black person i change my oil every 12 months.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>car calls for 0w16
    If you put 5w30 you'll probably snap the crankshaft on your hybrid if it's below zero when you try to start it

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Oil grade information is full of tons and tons of total shit from companies needing to maximize fuel economy.
    There's also the problem that basically, only 0-20w oils are complete, true full synthetics today.
    Yes, 0-20 is fine. It doesn't matter.
    You change your oil on time? It doesn't fricking matter.
    >muh temperatures
    I am getting old. I have a good memory. I know 90s cars run on non synthetic 10-30s in areas that freeze, the engine was still completely fine at 150k miles. I know woman owned trash treated hybrids given $25 oil change specials every 12,000 miles in a place that regularly goes above 105F (~45C?) that were still completely fine at 150k miles.

Oil doesn't fricking matter. Changing it matters. Your low or high temp viscosity, your flow characteristics, your Black personbrained farm dude Wear Scar test,
    none of that shit matters.
    Change it on time. Ignore what anyone says. That is all.

>inb4 but acshually fuel economy and...
    Bro take your 0.5MPG and blow it up your ass.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

When you use a thicker oil you are trading fuel economy for better wear protection

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>inb4 but the VVT actuators!
      Doesn't frickin matter. I've intentionally used 20-50 on a 5-20 labeled car to prove or disprove the claims that VVT won't work right with a heavy oil.
      It doesn't, frickin matter!

If you want to use 5-30 during summer in a 0-16 vehicle, do it. If you want to use 0-20 in a 5-30 vehicle in a place that has very cold winters, do it!
      You will be fine.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Its ok but you will start to burn oil at higher grades cause you are fricking with the clearances of the engine. You end up with a pool of oil on top of the piston. The gap between 0w16 and 5w30 is too large.
        0w20 is fine its viscosity is not largely out of range of the oil.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I run 20w60 in my truck all year round

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you used 5w30 you'd burn oil. Its film is too thick for the cylinder wall gap.

14. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

5w30. or 0w30. Unless you live somewhere very cold.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

If you use 30 weight in a 0w16 economy engine you are moronic.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

lmaoing

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Cause you are brain dead. The viscosity is too off range. 0w16 is usually 7.6 and 0w20 is 8.8 but 0w10 is 10. The thicker the oil less oil will scrape off with the piston rings. All you are doing over a 20w is burning more oil.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

0w30*

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

How long until they have 0w0
          KYS Y2

Samegay

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *