is a 944 a good car?

is a 944 a good car?

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

Nothing Ever Happens Shirt $21.68

Mike Stoklasa's Worst Fan Shirt $21.68

1. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

like Rx7s, these things were made for LS swaps.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

is that even viable? i heard that requires an insane amount of refunneling of the chassis due to the transmission type.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

basically any moderate swap will require trans tunnel rework.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Only if you keep it stock and well kept or mildly modified. They're a pain to work on, slow and don't take a lot of tuning well (the engine is not very strong and neither is the transaxle)

Wrong. Requires a complete rework of the drivetrain from the engine to the differential.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

Only an american will look at a piece of art and think it must be stuffed with something oversized, brutish and obnoxious

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

The 944 is an LS swap paradox. Base models are affordable and drive well, but they're dog slow so they're most in need of more power. But the transmission is in the back, and the extra torque from a V8 will blow it to bits, so you either have to source a Turbo/S2 transaxle (expensive) or cut up the whole chassis to fit a conventional F-body drivetrain (a lot of work and shifts the weight balance over to the front).
      Meanwhile the Turbo and S2 already come with a very strong transaxle, but they're rare and expensive compared to base models, and already have a significant power bump over the base models in stock form so there's a lot less incentive to drop a V8 into one in the first place.

TL;DR LS swapping a base 944 either fricks the handling or gets expensive, LS swapping a Turbo or S2 is both expensive and kinda silly because of their rarity.

2. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

No it's HORRIBLE
    I remember in the early 2000s tons and tons of these started to show up on the road as the cheapest Porsche because Boxsters were still a big out of their financial reach.

All of them exploded.
    All of them ever fricking exploded.
    That and it has a fricking volvo engine. It's not a real porsche just like the fricking boxster was. Poor person shitheap not worth fricking fixing.

t.lived through the 944 phase.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you're thinking of the 924 sonny. the 944 is a fully porsche design. the engine is a 928 block cut in half.

• 1 month ago
        Anonymous

The 944 is still heavily based on the 924 and built in the same plant.

• 1 month ago
          Anonymous

factual, but doesn't disprove anything that I said. the 944 block (all years/models) is a pure porsche design.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

no porsche ever had a volvo engine

3. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Better than a 924
    Not as good as a 928

4. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

I've never seen one running on the road, but tons of them filled with trash and junk that sit parked without moving for months/years

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

This 100%
      That should tell you something if there were zillions in the early 00s, but zero now

5. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

the only good is that you like the body style and will use it as a rolling chasis for a engine swap of some sort.

it aint shit otherwise.

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

And it’s not even good looking for a Porsche. I’d rather drive an Accord.

6. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They're one of the best sportscars of the 1980s and the influence of the majority of the Jap ripoffs

7. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They're fine if you don't mind driving a 40+yo NARP.

8. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

Always thought the rear end looked too bulbous and weird. All the front-engined Porsches just looked wrong, and poorly proportioned. That and there's all the anecdotes of them exploding. L cars wouldn't bother.

9. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

These things are awesome as long as you're willing to do the (often) regular maintenance yourself. I've dailyed multiple 944's, spec raced them, and my last daily 944 had 400k miles on the original bottom end before I sold it. They're legitimately not that bad to work on (I learned to wrench on these when I was a 16 year old, half moronic wrenchlet), and they're fun to drive. They have an excellent community around them, there's extremely detailed guides online on any job you'd ever need to do on one.

The biggest downside is the lack of aftermarket. There's not much power left on the table, so don't expect to do much modding. If you like balanced, but slow 80s cars, they're some of the best.

10. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

They were the more expensive and underperforming fc rx7, but now they're cheaper and pretty much just as good since both chassis have aged a fair bit. I'd still take a turbo II over a 944 turbo at the same price but even at that you can't find a turbo II under like $15k for a clapped out one

11. 1 month ago
    Anonymous

How is turbo vs no turbo? I've read turbo is less reliable. Is it worth it for the cost?

• 1 month ago
      Anonymous

you need the turbo model if you're going to put any power to it. everything is beefed up. the brakes, springs...everything that matters.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *