is a blown head gasket normal after 150k miles

is a blown head gasket normal after 150k miles

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

UFOs Are A Psyop Shirt $21.68

POSIWID: The Purpose Of A System Is What It Does Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

how "blown" is it? absolutely zero compression in 2 adjacent cylinders blown? or burns a liter of coolant every 1000 miles blown?

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

"somedays it doesn't even start" blown
      when it does it looks like a van halen concert

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

you overheated your engine bro. warped the head and now it's chugging coolant.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

well it's a "family" car, mostly used by my brother and my mother
          mechanic said it started "eating oil"

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

How can one overheat the engine? I mean there is a lot of fail safes even in two-three decade old cars.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>coolant pipe bursts
            >plastic around the temp sensor or switch breaks
            >rock smashes into your radiator
            >female owner never filled up coolant since buying the car 8 years ago
            overheating is one of the most common reasons cars break down

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

>coolant pipe bursts
            Lots of steam, can't miss
            No/bad signal/voltage from the sensor = CEL, limp mode
            Getting erroneous signal but within sanity limits is theoretically possible, but I have yet to hear about such cases.
            And should get through the other radiators first, the air con would be the first to go on most n/a engines I believe.
            Annoying chimes and messages on the dash about low coolant level, hard to miss them either.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

yeah, people ignore all that then wonder why it died

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I work highway assistance and overheating is one of the more common things I see. It is easy to forget to check your gauges for a long time.

[...]
            Anon, most people are morons when it comes to cars and aren't paying attention to all of that.

But these moronic or ignorant people don't know about DA either.
            morons here are of a completely different kind.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

I work highway assistance and overheating is one of the more common things I see. It is easy to forget to check your gauges for a long time.

>coolant pipe bursts
            No/bad signal/voltage from the sensor = CEL, limp mode
            Getting erroneous signal but within sanity limits is theoretically possible, but I have yet to hear about such cases.
            And should get through the other radiators first, the air con would be the first to go on most n/a engines I believe.
            Annoying chimes and messages on the dash about low coolant level, hard to miss them either.

Anon, most people are morons when it comes to cars and aren't paying attention to all of that.

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

No. Fix it

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

>Never changed coolant.

Yes

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

modern gaskets arent supposed to blow ever.
    You probably mishandled the engine.

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Engines are made of dissimilar metals. If you let the fricking thing warm up and expand before bouncing it off the rev limiter they actually last a long ass time.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Absolutely this. NAs and Turbos need to be warmed up, but only turbos NEED to be cooled down.

well it's a "family" car, mostly used by my brother and my mother
      mechanic said it started "eating oil"

That explains it. It is blown because you never warmed the car up. At least you don't have a turbo.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

for some cars yeah

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

150k is actually disproportionately high (i drive a Subaru)

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

yes on a subaru

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Just put some Holtz wondarweld. Drain old coolant. Take off thermostat. Put the stuff in there throught the thermostat opening. Close thermostat. Add water. Make engine run for minutes. Drain water and add coolant.

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

No, popping a head gasket is a symptom of another problem. One of the only exception I can think of is the poorly designed m104 head gasket that puked oil until it was redesigned.

11. 2 months ago
    s10fag

Material degradation is normal with a MLS gasket, but that can vary depending on the design of the engine. Most blown headgaskets are the results of open deck and mixed metals designs shifting with heat and wear, doesnt even have to be overheating. Some old ass american shit with a stamped gasket? Re use that b***h until the heat death of the universe, youll warp or crack cast iron before you need another head gasket.

12. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I got my headgasket blown early in life with low miles.
    You are clearly a loser if you have to wait untill you got high miles to get your headgasket blown.

13. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

On a European car, yes.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Old American cars too

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

What am I looking at here, anon?
        You have your valve cover off and you're looking down the front of the engine, but I don't know what those blue things are. Painted head under the plenum?

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

probably the block, older cars always seemed to have the block painted in something other than black

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *