Is AAA a scam? I've had it for 5 years and haven't had to get the car towed once.

Is AAA a scam? I've had it for 5 years and haven't had to get the car towed once. That's like $500 I gave them for nothing.
Also they "approve" repair shops but what the frick do they actually do? Do they have inspectors who go out to these repair shops and do rigorous testing?

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

Yakub: World's Greatest Dad Shirt $21.68

Shopping Cart Returner Shirt $21.68

1. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm thinking of switching to Hagerty if they give me a cheaper premium. Unlimited towing for classic cars and they are run by enthusiasts.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I feel like it'd be cheaper to just pay a towing company out of pocket the one time in 10 years you might need it.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

I've had to have my cars towed like 6 times in the last year 🙁

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Oh ok it was only 4 times. But still

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

Oh ok it was only 4 times. But still

wtf dude. tell me what car do you have so I don't buy that model.

• 2 months ago
            Anonymous

different cars. one got towed twice when it hydroplaned into a tree at highway speed. one got towed when it spun a rod bearing. one got towed when a fuel injector exploded and was leaking petroline everywhere (that one got towed again when i sold it but not by my insurance).

2. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I have free tows with my insurance (USAA).
    No maximum limit on tows per year, although at some point they're probably going ro give me shit (never happens).

I used to get tows on any vehicle I'm driving but now it's only vehicles on my plan.
    I bought a project vehicle.
    Told the guy I'll be back in the morning to tow it.
    Called my insurance and had it added that day (has to be on the insurance for a day for free tows).
    Called for a tow the next day at lunch, gave the address and it was sitting in my driveway when I got home from work.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

For the record- the project vehicle was sitting on 4 rotted tires in a forest.
      When I ordered the tow the dispatcher asked what was wrong with the vehicle, I said "flat tire". She asked which one, I said "all of them". She asked if I wanted to file a vandalism claim and I'm pretty sure I started laughing.

3. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I'm a Leaf so we have CAA but it's the same shit. It really depends on your vehicle, where you go and what kind of normal towing rates you have. On a new or semi new vehicle it would be pretty pointless because the chances of it breaking down to the point of needing a tow are pretty slim to none. If you're some fricking moron who leaves their lights on 24/7, constantly runs out of gas or is constantly locking their keys in the vehicle then it might be worth it on a newer vehicle.

I think it's worth it if you drive shitboxes. One of my shitboxs broke down 200 miles from home once. That tow without CAA would have exceeded the value of the car. Like I said it depends where you go. If you never leave a 10 mile radius from your house and can get some Mexican tot ow you for $15 then it's probably not worth it.

The wait times can be a c**t tho and they really don't like fricking with RV's. I've heard there are companies out there with lower wait times and more flexibility when it comes to towing things like RV's and trailers.

4. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

depends on what you need it for

my shitbox miata recently has been cranking but not starting at night/when its cold so its been fricking me up at work since im night shift, its been a life saver for me to get free battery jumps cause im not sure what id do without it

i know i used to have a friend who had her car locked with the key in it, the triple a guy was able to get it out for her

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Why not... Just get another battery? Or a battery jumper?

5. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

AAA is the worst company I've ever had the displeasure of working with. Called for a tow for a newly bought project vehicle, cant find a tow place near me, call again, and again. No tow nearby. Called the office in my region responsible for a tow, we can get one out there but it'll be 3 hours. So 3 hours later after sitting in 10 degree weather we finally tow it away. This was after I had scheduled a tow for that day which was canceled unbeknownst to me.

AAA fricks me once again when said project vehicles alternator gives out on me and I'm stranded in the middle of a two lane road at 1am. I call and ask for a battery, "we cant do that", I call and ask for a tow, no tow available you'll have to wait two days. Thankfully the state police showed up and towed it off the road no questions asked.

Canceled my AAA the next day. Absolutely the worst company ever for project vehicles, they'll outright refuse service sometimes if they find out it is one, all depends on the persons mood that you get.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

Having aaa lowers my insurance.

I lost a valve stem on a truck i bought at 2 am just outside of albequerqe called aaa and driver was there in less than 20 minutes. Bought truck in arizona, drove it home to massachusetts.

I have had nothing but good experiences with aaa out west, up in michigan and all down the east coast. Have yet to have aaa leave me stranded or frick with me.

I ask my family not to get gifts for me for christmas and birthdays, my mother and father purchase aaa for me every year instead. I guess it works for me.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

I had a similar experience with my first project car. We had driven two hours to see and pay for the car. It was around 8pm and we called triple A before grtting there to come have the car towed. We lied though and said it was the car we drove in and that we were stranded lel. They quoted us 45 min. I guess they had called us while we were looking at the car and since we didn't pick up, they canceled the tow. We called again and this time it was quoted at like 2 hours. We wait... And wait... At the hour and a half mark we called again and they said the driver cancelled (to none of our knowledge). We got the crocodile ducts rolling and they were able to find someone, but itd be like an hour. We called the driver and asked if its cool if we leave... Next morning, it was at my house :).
      Frick em, but atleast it was free (75 miles)

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

A little extra info. When we called at the hour and a half mark, they were telling us there was no one available and that they were calling all of the tow places they could. After laying on the tears , we waited like 5 minutes and they got someone.

6. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

If you're even remotely competent at wrenching on your own shit then it is much more cost effective in the long run to keep a bag of tools in your car instead. How many times a year do you need a tow? I mean seriously, I've needed like 3 in nearly 15 years of driving daily. Cost me approx $200 each time to call the damn tow truck myself, get it delivered back home and fix it in the driveway.

Why do people have to ring their insurance company or RAA/AAA/CAA/whatever the frick to call the tow truck for them, it's moronic and takes hours longer than calling the truck yourself.

7. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

When you consider even a single tow for the distance that AAA covers will cost what you've paid for 5 years... yeah I'll keep paying. Tows are ridiculously expensive. Additionally, if you do any spirited driving on back roads or canyons, the ability to call a tow separately from your insurance can keep you out of trouble if you were to crash doing something not-so-legal.

As for the AAA-approved shops, I've been told it's a very strict process and if enough AAA customers report poor service a company can get dropped pretty quickly. I have been told that they also factor in pricing for hourly labor and only certify shops that have fair pricing that doesn't take advantage of their customers.

Incidentally, these are also shops that if you had an AAA auto-insurance policy, these are the shops they would send them to. Essentially AAA isn't going to send you to a shop that'll screw them over either. To people afraid of shit mechanics and unfair pricing, this is a godsend.

• 2 months ago
      Anonymous

>a single tow for the distance that AAA covers will cost what you've paid for 5 years... yeah I'll keep paying
      Ok calm down, the basic plan only coves 5 miles. The more expensive ones do cover up to 100, but if you're not in the West, you're going to get a reasonable price for a long distance tow.
      AAA service is a little redundant when highways near metro areas already have complementary roadside assistance crews and you're probably paying for roadside assistance via your insurance. Although AAA will pick up the phone faster and has a broader network.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

>more expensive
        At the highest or whatever, it's two 250-mile tows for free, then a couple 100-miles tows I think... Then you pay (at a reduced rate)
        >in the west
        Yes, I do live in the West-coast and tow fees are indeed ungodly here
        >complementary road-side assistance
        Which metro areas?
        I live near LA and have never seen this.
        One time, I got stranded on a highway in a rural spot in Chile and even THEY had complementary roadside assistance. What the frick.

• 2 months ago
          Anonymous

>Which metro areas?
          Seems to be on a state-by-state basis. Florida had the Road Ranger program, but New York, North Carolina, and California (Freeway Service Patrol) have them. They won't tow, but they'll do jumps, provide gas, change tires and other basics.

• 2 months ago
        Anonymous

Yeah, but that's the entry-level shit for AAA. AAA Plus gives you three 100-mile tows and AAA Premier gives you four tows and one of those can be up to 200 miles, at least this is for my region it varies but the general rule is the same.

But that's my point, I pay for Premier, and I live a sizeable distance from where I work, if I want to get my car towed home so I can fix what is wrong with it then if only had some shit 5-mile tow, I'd be paying out the ass to get it home. It makes sense for me and honestly for most people because once again. The cost of a longer-distance tow will easily be much higher than what I pay yearly.

You pay for convenience and ease of mind, if you somehow think paying $90 a year is too much even considering the cost of an average tow, then you have simply no understanding of the money you'll save.

8. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

You paid 500$ in 5 years... 100$ a year.
    Have you ever looked at the services they offer beyond towing? It's massive. I'd keep (and do keep) it based on that alone. Will I be using these services every day? No you fricking dumbass, but when I do need it, it will be there for a VERY reasonable annual fee.
    Why don't you do your own research and decide for yourself if YOU find value in their services. Stop asking a bunch of bus riders on a Slovenian pottery forum.

9. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

Free towing and roadside assistance is usually free with your auto insurance.
    That fact that most people here dont know that proves that DA is full of uninsured brown people and losers who dont even drive

10. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

I've had AAA for 5 years, it provides a discount to my CAA insurance provider, so it basically pays for itself.

I've used it one time when my brake lines went out on my old civic, got towed to a mechanic.

I've used it another time when my fuel lines went out on the highway in my old Mercedes, got towed to a mechanic.

Pretty comfy, they were very helpful and arrived in under 30 minutes. Thanks for reminding me about my CAA membership, I'm pretty glad I got it to be honest. If you drive old cars then its good insurance to have, its not very expensive. If you need a tow once every 3 years ( nobody plans to get towed lol, but it can happen
    especially if you drive older cars like me ) it pays for itself.

11. 2 months ago
    Anonymous

An hour away from a massive city and on the outskirts large one on busy interstate. Area not serviced. Its a joke mate.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *